David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Book Talk > this that recs

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 27, 2014 10:05AM) (new)

A collection of book recs.
(Remember this is personal opinion,so if this is something you disagree with. these are my opnions, not facts.)
If you like downton abbey you will love Cinders & Sapphires
If you like starlight by mew you will love Blood Promise
If you like the breakfast club you will love Josie Griffin is Not a Vampire
If you like creepy conspiracy books, you will love Night School

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Apr 29, 2014 06:50AM) (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments If you like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files or Rob Thurman' Cal Leandros books, you will like Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles - Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne .
If you like the movie Titanic, the tv show Lost, and the Across the Universe series by Beth Revis, you will like These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman .
If you like The Twilight Zone episode called "Number 12 Looks Just Like You," you will like Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld .
If you like Stephen King, Robin Cook, and "Croatoan" episode of Supernatural, you will like Infected (Infected, #1) by Scott Sigler .
If you like Harry Potter, you will like Half Bad (Half Life, #1) by Sally Green .
If you like J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, you will like Light in the Gloaming (Book One) by J.B. Simmons .
If you like Night Film by Marisha Pessl , you will like S. by J.J. Abrams .
If you like George R.R. Martin, the movie called Timeline, or the movie The Village, you will like Finding Time, Book One of the Becket Chronicles by Jason Grunewald .
If you like Alice in Wonderland and dark fairy tale retellings, you will like Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard .
If you like the tv show The Sopranos, the movie Memento, the movie Inception, and gritty noir all with a magical twist, you will like White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black .
If you like Crowley and Castiel from Supernatural and the individual works of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, you will like Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett .

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Oda wrote: "A collection of book recs.
(Remember this is personal opinion,so if this is something you disagree with. these are my opnions, not facts.)
If you like downton abbey you will love [book:Cinders & Sa..."

I agree with Cinders & Sapphires, it is a lot like Downton! I need to read the sequel!

message 4: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

If you like heartbreaking historical fiction, you will like Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited May 03, 2014 01:39AM) (new)

Jenny wrote: "Oda wrote: "A collection of book recs.
If you like downton abbey you will love ..."</i>

Have you seen the cover for the third book? I saw it the day I finished the second book loove it.

[bookcover:Emeralds & Ashes

message 6: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments Jenny wrote: "If you like heartbreaking historical fiction, you will like Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth WeinBriar Rose by Jane Yolen"

I loved Code Name Verity! Haven't heard of the other one ... I will check it out. ;)

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Its really good, Brigid, I feel pretty sure you would like it :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited May 22, 2014 01:48AM) (new)

if you love graceling you will love the shamers daughter by lene kaaberbøl(its originally danish but its translated to english).and its becoming a movie next year :D

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...--

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Oh great thread - my to read list is about to blow out!

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited May 27, 2014 02:25AM) (new)

If you like pjo, you will love The Merchant of Death (Pendragon, #1) by D.J. MacHale

and Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy

btw, s.p is kinda the got for kids. thers sad feels all over the place all the time,so be warned.and it has a high fantasy feel even tho most of the books take place in ireland, england or somewhere else in our world.

if you like ya books set in boarding schools,and mythology Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) by Jennifer Estep is for you

message 11: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 953 comments Oda wrote: "If you like pjo, you will love The Merchant of Death (Pendragon, #1) by D.J. MacHale

and Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy"

I love PJ and Pendragon. You've sold me on SP even further than I previously said in the other thread haha.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments If you like The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins and The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness , you will like Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young .

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

if you like summer(because these books gave me a summery feeling)
you will love Death by Bikini (Death By Mysteries, #1) by Linda Gerber
Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 21, 2014 12:18AM) (new)

if you like action movies you will love The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) by Mark Frost

if you like nancy drew you will love
The Girl is Murder (The Girl is Murder, #1) by Kathryn Miller Haines

it gave me a nancy drew feeling,but it was more for teens than for preteens.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

If you like the movie midnight in paris you will love Starry Nights by Daisy Whitney

Read Darker Still (Magic Most Foul, #1) by Leanna Renee Hieber if you like gothic stories.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 01, 2016 11:13PM) (new)

if you like ya book adaptions and Hollywood try Famous in Love (Famous in Love, #1) by Rebecca Serle

if you like japan try Ink (Paper Gods, #1) by Amanda Sun

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 13, 2015 06:53AM) (new)

Instead of editing, and commenting so that the thread comes higher up again.
If you like the tv series http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3663490/?... you would love the The Invisible Library book. Both have libraries at the center of the myth, they take different aspects to them but still, you would defently enjoy both if you enjoy one.
If you like The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket you will love The Thornthwaite Inheritance by Gareth P. Jones similar mood and setting of the books.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

bump.

message 19: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments Oooh, I like the idea behind this thread! I'm pretty bad at comparing books and giving recommendations but I'll think a bit and post a few later!

message 20: by Harlee (last edited Nov 30, 2015 02:22PM) (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments If you like shows like Criminal Minds, I think you will love I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga (I absolutely love this series, still need to read the last one!)
If you like the show Survivor and the book The Maze Runner, I think you will like Nil (Nil, #1) by Lynne Matson
If you like Beautiful Creatures, I think you will like The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater (I found certain aspects of TRB similar to BC but I liked it much more)
If you like The Hunger Games, I think you will like Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood, #1) by Victoria Scott (I also found aspects of THG similar to F&F but I didn't love it nearly as much as I love THG)

message 21: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 953 comments If you like the show Supernatural, you might like Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake

message 22: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments @Tommy I actually LOVE Supernatural and have wavered on Anna Dressed in Blood, so that definitely makes me want to try it!

message 23: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 953 comments Harlee wrote: "@Tommy I actually LOVE Supernatural and have wavered on Anna Dressed in Blood, so that definitely makes me want to try it!"

It's not a 1-for-1 comparison by any means, but it has a lot of similar elements. It wasn't a favorite, but I liked it.

message 24: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments @Tommy I've been considering it for awhile. I'm hoping I can get it during Book Outlet's Boxing Day sale because it will be really cheap haha

message 25: by Lauren (last edited Nov 30, 2015 08:27PM) (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Tommy wrote: "If you like the show Supernatural, you might like Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake"

Agreed. :)

I'd also recommend the Cal Leandros series Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1) by Rob Thurman or Shutter by Courtney Alameda if you're a fan of Supernatural.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Harlee, great comparisons for Nil!

message 27: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments Thanks Karen!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

If you like Agent Carter you will love Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope, #1) by Susan Elia MacNeal

message 29: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 240 comments If you like the PBR, you will like The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

If you like fairy tales you will love The Silver Blade (French Revolution, #2) by Sally Gardner and red necklace the first book in that duology. It gave me very much fairy tale assosiations. Its set under the french revelution but there is magic and other stuff that reminds me of fairy tales.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Oda wrote: "If you like Agent Carter you will love Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope, #1) by Susan Elia MacNeal"

Or if you like The Bletchley Circle!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren wrote: "Oda wrote: "If you like Agent Carter you will love Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope, #1) by Susan Elia MacNeal"

Or if you like The Bletchley Circle!"

Probably, havent seen blechley but think I would like it.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

If you like Oreos you will like Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

If you like libraries you will love The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman and Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris, #1) by Jim C. Hines

if you like short,fun, original takes on known stories try The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1) by Colleen Gleason

if you like books with curses, witches and creepy villains try Old Magic by Marianne Curley

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

if you like Bridget Jones you should read Sofia Khan Is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

if you like feminism you will love Girl Up by Laura Bates

if you like inspirational women you will love Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls 100 Tales of Extraordinary Women by Elena Favilli Rejected Princesses Tales of History's Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics by Jason Porath