Start by marking “Old Magic” as Want to Read:
Old Magic

Old Magic

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  9,623 Ratings  ·  744 Reviews
Jarrod Thornton is mesmerizing, but Kate Warren doesn't know why.

The moment the new guy walks into the room, Kate senses something strange and intense about him. Something supernatural. Her instincts are proven correct a few minutes later when, bullied by his classmates, Jarrod unknowingly conjures up a freak thunderstorm "inside" their classroom.

Jarrod doesn't believe in
Mass Market Paperback, 317 pages
Published February 26th 2002 by Simon Pulse (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Old Magic, please sign up.
Mega Speedreader This book came out WAYYYY before Beautiful Creatures and it's also far far better. They go back in time at one point to change a curse put on Jarrod's…moreThis book came out WAYYYY before Beautiful Creatures and it's also far far better. They go back in time at one point to change a curse put on Jarrod's family. I'd definitely recommend this much more than Beautiful Creatures for sure. (less)
Xyra I agree with Oda leaning toward PG-13 due to villain ferocity.

Marianne Curley
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Old Magic was my first published book and has remained a favourite with readers in countries around the world, having translations in fourteen international languages. It is a young adult paranormal fantasy with romance, adventure and time-travel with one of the original strong female leads for this genre.
Sara ♥
May 8-10, 2010

I REALLY like this book. It's really a coming of age story for both the hero and the heroine, but especially for Jarrod, who has a LOT of growing to do. The magic is really interesting and the big bad guy is REALLY scary! My only complaint: There wasn't NEARLY enough kissing. ;) I wish there had been one more scene at the end......
Mars
Bought my copy for less than a dollar. I started reading it at least three times, but I couldn't get past the first chapter each time. Finally, on a Friday night when our ISP sucked big time and I had no internet to distract me from reading, I went through the pile of to-read books beside my bed.

The story eventually picked up, and I finished it in this sitting! The description at the back of the book didn't hint anything about what happened in the second half, so:

And I happened to be a sucker fo
Rebecca {Not reviewing at the moment}
'I recall the look in Rhauk's eyes the moment he spotted Kate. It will stay with me forever, carved into my brain like an engraving on a headstone. It's as if he found something he treasured, something he's been looking for all his life.'

(view spoiler)
Saniya
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh my gosh. This is one the best book I have ever read!!! Smiley Or maybe I am getting super extra excited because I am reading these freaking awesome books after 1 month bcuz to exams!!! Smiley This book was totally awesome and I just can't believe how can anybody give this book a very low rating and freaking weird books high. And this was the first time ever that I liked the witch craft stuffs in a book. I don't know but I just don't like witchy stuffs in other books. I rather prefer vampires and shape-sh ...more
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
Loved it! Couldn't put it down.

This is a story I adored from beginning to end. For once the girl was the brave one, and the guy was the one who wouldn't take peer pressure or any risks for what he believes is good.

The mythology and time-orientation were great. This is a book about magic, but also about history. There were great references to the Middle Age culture and English history, all mixed up with witchcraft and present-day teen issues.

I loved Kate's character - brave, confident, self-suffi
Marissa
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book too. Magic and young romance mixed together. What could be better? Kate is a witch and so is her grandmother. When Jared is new to town and her school she realizes he has magic and power beyond hers and that he doesnt even know it! She finds out he has an ancient curse that has been put on his family and every 7th born in his ancestry. They go back into time to kill the sorcerer who created it and... die trying? It's up to you to find out.
AMythicalBeast
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: high school romance readers, YA witchcraft readers, YA time travel readers
Recommended to AMythicalBeast by: amazon
2.5 stars is what I really want to give it.
When I first read an excerpt of the first chapter at Amazon.com, I thought- fantastic! A high school story, yes, but one where this bumbling boy, unaware of how much power he has, comes into contact with a girl who realises just how dangerous he could be- and he refuses to believe her!
It seemed like a plot that could only get funnier and more complicated as the chapters turned. Right?
When I finally chased the book down- it was because of this book th
Gelisvb
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book when I was thirteen, and I was obsessed with it.
Jess
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
"romance with some time travel action"

Kate has had a strange childhood, raised in a remote Australian village by her grandmother, who is a witch. Not your brewing small children in a pot witch, but more a wise woman, who knows old magic...still, when you combine having such a grandmother with having strange powers yourself, it can make for high-school awkwardness. Especially in Kate's case--although her class is very small, her classmates slot themselves neatly into the stereotypes of unpleasant
P.Q. Glisson
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My daughter has had this book in our family library since a book fair came to her school when she was in middle school. It's been waiting patiently for about ten years now. She pulled it off the shelf and read it first. Then she hounded me to read it so I finally gave in. Did I ever tell you that she has never steered me wrong? Well, this was no exception. It started out like every other teenage angst novel. The unusual girl and the boy she is drawn to. But, what got me was it turned out to be a ...more
Miranda ❤️
What a great read! I cannot believe I hadn't found this book sooner, it was written in the early 2000's! I really liked the progression of Jarrod's character, in the beginning I wasn't too crazy about him. I don't want to give too much away but... If your looking for a book that includes magic, time-travel, curses and some light romance then this book is for you! :)
Isabel Bitterblau
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, in-love
Este fue el primer libro que leí por voluntad propia cuando tenía unos 11 años, el primero que cogí de una biblioteca, el primero del que me enamoré y si algún día tengo hijos, el primero que les haré leer a ellos también (junto a toda la saga de Harry Potter, obviamente).

Así que no puedo estar siendo menos objetiva a la hora de puntuarlo y darle 5 estrellas ♥
Ellinor
At first I thought this would be another Twilight. Two teenagers - one of them the new kid at school, the other one with strange abilities - falling in love. But I lost this impression after a few pages and started to really like this book. It was a quick read. I was only a little disappointed by the ending which I had expected to be much more spectacular.
Shelby Brynn
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
If I could I would actually give this book 3.5 stars. I really really enjoyed part two of the book and I if I was reviewing that alone this book would be 4 stars. The magic and the suspense in the second half of the book had me at the edge of my seat! The beginning however was slow and the writing felt rushed at times. All in all though I enjoyed reading it.
Ana Duque
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Acabo de descubrir a esta autora y puedo decir que no va a ser el único libro que lea de ella. Fantasía juvenil urbana de la mejor
Angigames
Esotico e avventuroso, questo libro è una piacevole ventata calda nel panorama fantasy.
La storia è semplice ma molto ben congeniata.
Kate è una strega, lo sa da quando è piccola, vive in una cittadina in mezzo alla foresta, a contatto con la natura e le sue energie. Kate ha un dono magico e ne va fiera, anche se non è socialmente una delle studentesse più quotate, anzi, è un’emarginata. Ma questa per lei non è una macchia da far scolorire in tutti modi, il suo status le permette di non attirare
~Tina~
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hocus-pocus
Living in Canada this was a very rare book to get a hold of.
Only by a dear friend of mine, who lives in the US, sent me a copy, that I had the pleasure of reading this wonderful gem.

OLD MAGIC was a wonderful story of boy-becomes-man and having faith in what you are...even if you don't want to admit the Lady is right ;)

Kate and Jarrod's journey takes them to olden times where they must make right what has been wronged to Jarrod's ancestries.
Through this time they will find the growth to heal more
Oda Renate
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just realised I have rated this but not reviewed it. ( Bad Oda BAD. Go and be ashamed of youself... goes to the corner for an appropiate amount of time)
I first read this back in 2004, I found it in a flea marcket at my middle school one of the few good memories from those years(yupp that old being bullied in middle school story is mine).
I picked it up because the cover was beautiful and I was intrigued by the plot.
Flash forward to me after reading it :O:) :O My thoughts: HOW IS IT POSSIBLE FO
Lauren
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, ya
Fun, easy read. A teen romance about a clumsy boy whose family is cursed. They eventually go back in time to the Middle Ages to take care of the curse. Fun concept that teen girls would eat up.

Positives: Liked the character's physical descriptions. Very clear visuals in my head. The villain was the best crafted character in the book though. This author knows how to do EVIL.

Criticism: While I liked the book being told in alternating points of view (between Kate and Jarrod), I feel like often thei
kari
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2010
Marsha
Jan 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Old Magic has an interesting storyline. Two high school students Jarrod and Kate meet and experience an interesting fascination for one another only to discover both of them have secrets and those secrets are putting one of their families lives in jeopardy. The chapters of the book flip-flop from being told from Jarrod's perspective and then Kate's. I for one usually like this approach as well as enjoy reading first person narratives. However, the writing of this book was lethargic, choppy and b ...more
Bianca
Feb 06, 2012 added it
Shelves: favorites
I read this book ages ago (okay, no, it was just seven or eight years ago). It was one of the first fantasy novels I read, and something in me just... clicked on. While I loved books before, this for me was a discovery.
It was cathartic to let go of all my problems for a few hours and disappear in a fictitious world. In somebody else's life.
Everyone has been an awkward teen, this novel taught me that I could become someone else in a novel.
I wrote for the first time, after I read this novel. And
Kathryn
Jul 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
While Old Magic'splot is semi-intriguing, the cover's promise that the two main characters share an "undeniable passion," is never realized. The romance is tepid. At best.

And worse: while the main character is 16, she reads like a tween which makes it further difficult to buy the star-crossed lovers theory. Basically: decent concept, bad writing and characterization.
Patri
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
La de recuerdos que me trae releer este libro *sigh*
Jill Hughes
Jun 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Okay.

I dislike this book.

I read it awhile ago, around last year or so, and back then it used to be more of a vitriolic hate, and it's simmered down now, but I still remember this one with some distaste.

The plot itself is fine, and is actually rather a cool concept. Kate, the granddaughter of a witch, and Jarrod, a boy from a family cursed with generations of bad luck, meet when Jarrod transfers to Kate's school. With her knowledge in magic and her grandmother's help, the two travel back in ti
Maria
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado mucho, pero me ha faltado un poco más de viaje en el tiempo. Creía que el libro trataba de eso en su mayoría, pero no. Quitando ese punto, el resto me ha encantado. Y además la representación de la edad media ha sido más realista de lo que pensaba.
nurmawati
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it

Tokoh dari "present time" :
-------------------------------------------
Jarrod = clumsy but totaly hot... keluarganya dikutuk sejak ratusan tahun yang lalu...bakal banyak kematian dan kemalangan di keluarganya kalo dia gak memusnahkan kutukan itu..

Kate = an outsider di sekolahnya karena dianggap keturunan penyihir...
Gak tau siapa ayah kandungnya dan dari kecil ditinggal ibunya utk dirawat jillian...
Kate punya kekuatan bisa masuk ke pikiran org lain dan merasakan tanpa org lain tau dia menginvasi p
Sara Grochowski
Genre: Young Adult
Main Themes: Magic, Curses, Love, Time travel
Pages: 317
Plot (from back cover):
"Jarrod Thornton is mesmerizing, but Kate Warren doesn't know why.

• Violet Eyes (Violet Eyes, #1)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)
  • The China Garden
  • Timeless Love
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • The Pace (The Pace, #1)
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • Witch Ball (The Seer, #3)
  • The Crystal Mask (The Echorium Sequence, #2)
  • To Catch a Pirate
  • Revealers
I loved reading from a young age and scoured my school libraries during my younger years, but I never thought I would become a writer. It was not until my mid-thirties, while teaching office studies and computers to adults at the Coffs Harbour Education Campus that I began to think seriously about writing. I took several courses and experimented with different styles and genres. With two teenage d ...more
More about Marianne Curley

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
2 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“This wind is mystical yet tame, and it sings to me.” 70 likes
“Not to know what happened before you were born is always to remain a child. For what is a man’s life if it is not linked with the life of future generations by memories of the past?” 15 likes