Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Ambiguity in Riddle and Harry's bond

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

K May I offer a bit of levity to the situation? I hope I am not offending anyone with my observation that Rowling actually seemed to be toying with some homoeroticism when describing the "soulmate" bond between Harry and his nemesis. There were moments at the climax (pardon the pun) when I almost wanted to shout, "Get a room, guys!" when they continued to circle one another "wrapped in each others secrets....eyes only on each other...no one else mattered in the world but Voldemort....etc".

Sorry if I've stepped too far outside the boundaries of appropriate analysis of a children's series.

Let me also say that I doubt anyone will agree with this radical interpretation of several asides made by characters in the heat of battle, but yet, something about their bond became rather unique in this final installment.

I wonder if the bond the two have is akin to what Rowling feels for Harry. By the end of the series, her own obsession for the character seemed to dwarf other elements of her storytelling (much like Anne Rice's fixation with Lestat in her own chronicles, if anyone is familiar), and perhaps severing the tie to Harry was as intimate as having him sever the tie to his enemy.

Okay, okay, I'm digging way too deep here. Time to put down the shovel.

message 2: by Vijay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vijay Nathan I definitely think there's a bond between Harry and Voldemort that can't be denied. It's all over the series but it presented itself most clearly to me when Harry says something like "I see a future where Ginny can have a husband whereas I can only see Voldemort". It does imply a kind of marriage between Harry and V that Othello and Iago have in Shakespeare's play. I'll always remember that analysis of Othello when the professor was talking about the scene where they bond. I don't think there's homoeroticism in the sense that they want to have sex though. But the relationships betweeen people of the same gender are ultimately relationship between two human beings and there's more to us than our genetials. I can see how you're making light of the scene but I think your comments are revealing of Rowling's intentions.

Lastly, although I think Rowling definitely has feelings for her character I don't think they dwarfed other elements of the storytelling. her love of Snape for example also came clear. Hell, I think she even had some feelings for Riddle. I've heard she's been depressed after finishing the series and I don't blame her. I would feel the same way.

There are examples of a similar bond between enemies in all of literature.

message 3: by Lani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lani The gay theme I can't help but shake is Dumbledore! I never can quite buy that whole loner thing when he has so much going on with him to make him a great lover, and no person is ever mentioned in that vain from his past. Has anyone else felt that way?

message 4: by Beans (last edited Sep 20, 2008 11:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beans The bond between Harry & Voldemort was intense I'll admit but I don’t think J.K.'s intention was to make it seem at all homoerotic. I think Harry's connection to Voldemort and the likenesses they shared were more of an affliction than anything, caused in more ways than one, by the night when the curse went wrong. As far as Dumbledore, J.K. revealed that Grindlewald was the love of his life up until the day he passed. I don’t know about any post “for the greater good” relationships but if his feelings were truly to that extent I wouldn’t doubt that he remained partner-less for the better part of his life.