The Filipino Group discussion

To the Lighthouse
This topic is about To the Lighthouse
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] May 2014: To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf | Moderator: Angus

Comments Showing 1-50 of 214 (214 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Angus (last edited May 25, 2014 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Hello, friends! Welcome to the online discussion thread of TFG's book of the month for May:

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf.

The theme that the moderator selected for this month is modernist literature. To the Lighthouse won both the online and offline polls, beating The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner, and The Trial by Franz Kafka.

Here are some links that will help you participate in our online discussion that will culminate in the F2F book discussion at the end of the month:

Ebook
Audiobook (narrated by Juliet Stevenson)
Local Bookstore
Online Bookstore

---

To the Lighthouse Discussion Plan:

Apr 28 - Background of Modernist Literature
May 01 - Background of Virginia Woolf and To the Lighthouse
May 05 - Part I: Chapters 01 to 05
May 08 - Part I: Chapters 06 to 09
May 12 - Part I: Chapters 10 to 16
May 15 - Part I: Chapter 17
May 19 - Part I: Chapters 18 to 19, Part II: Chapters 01 to 10
May 22 - Part III: Chapters 01 to 05
May 26 - Part III: Chapters 06 to 13
May 29 - Conclusion of Online Book Discussion
May 31 - F2F Book Discussion

---

Discussion questions and activities will be posted on the designated dates. As always, the reading plan is merely a guide. You may read at a pace that you are comfortable with. However, the moderator advises the readers against binge reading. This is because the moderator wishes you to fully appreciate this novel. In addition, points will be earned by the participants of the online activities. These points will be useful in the F2F book discussion.

Please disregard this tough list, this challenging list, this difficult list, or this other difficult list. What, you didn't click them, did you? Oh wow. Just remind yourselves with what they say:

The trick is to surrender yourself, to let the prose wash over you and take you where it will--not to worry too much about understanding a dogmatic way.

Thus said, the moderator hopes you enjoy this book. :)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments As for me, I'm just excited to (finally) read Virginia Woolf! Yay!

Copy all ready, freshly covered in plastic; post-its/highlighters, too. :D

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments NYKen: Thank you for the summary. You make my tasks easier. I agree that it is not for everybody, like genre fiction. I insist though that the willing reader can find his or her sea legs while the opposite can choose to just drown.

Also, we don't mind late answers. The plan above is a guide for us to organize the flow of the discussion. We hope you could find a copy. You may resort to the links above if your library doesn't have a copy available. :)

Monique: I'm excited to read your marginalia. :)

message 4: by Angus (last edited Apr 28, 2014 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Background of Modernist Literature

What is Modernism?
(view spoiler)

Modernism in Literature:
(view spoiler)

Literary Tactics and Devices in Modernist Literature:
(view spoiler)

Question 01:
(view spoiler)

message 5: by Miles (new)

Miles | 26 comments Hi! I'm a new member here and I'd like to ask a quick question. Is there such thing as Structuralist Literature?

message 6: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Side story! I went around looking for a print copy of To The Lighthouse, so I asked Fully Booked and apparently, it is out of stock in all branches. o_O I guess I'll go for ebook, then.

Will answer questions later! Sayang ang points. :D

message 7: by Monique (last edited Apr 29, 2014 12:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Question 01:

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Veronica (last edited Apr 27, 2014 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica | 734 comments Question 01:

(view spoiler)

Maria (mariasm) | 2441 comments Question 1:
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Tin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Question 1:(view spoiler)

message 11: by Mabelle (new) - added it

Mabelle Ortega | 139 comments Question 1

(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Question 1
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Bennard (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bennard | 730 comments Question 1:
(view spoiler)

I really look forward to reading Woolf, finally.

message 14: by Tina (last edited Apr 28, 2014 11:11PM) (new) - added it

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Question 1:
(view spoiler)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Whoops, I've scanned your lists and I got excited. (view spoiler) But alas, our jobs require us to stop browsing and interact later. But I need to answer a quick question.

For works that are anthologized or reproduced in various electronic means, particularly the photocopying, a.k.a. Xerox, machine, you still earn points for those.

For poems, you earn one point for every four. For short stories, you earn one point for every two. No half points. Points will be rounded down. List the titles. We trust that you are all honest.

Another thing. I forgot to mention plays. They also count since they are works of fiction.

Here's a scenario: I will list every poem in Neruda's collection and every short story in Faulkner's instead of just listing the title of the respective collections. Is that allowed? Technically, yes. If somebody does this, we will be forced to change the pointing system, and would you really want to complicate the moderator's tasks? :)

message 16: by Mae (new) - added it

Mae (jamaeca) | 330 comments Question 1

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Louize (last edited Apr 28, 2014 08:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Oh, yes, of course.
Robert Frost: The Road Not Taken

Thank you for reminding me of that, Mae.
Too bad, Rudyard Kipling is not part of the list.

Ranee | 1902 comments nagulat ako, meron pala akong nabasang modernist!

The Old man and the sea- Ernest Hemingway with review
The Metamorphosis- Franz Kafka (ala pa review, paano kung gawan ko within this month? pwede?) (view spoiler)
Late and PostHumous Poems by Pablo Neruda. This is pre GR, during the kasikatan of Patch Adams. But bad memory, I cannot remember the poems, hiniram ko lang sa housemate ko dati, when she transferred, ala na rin.

Bunch of Poems I read and studied when I took Poetry lessons back in college:
A Cradle Song- W.B. Yeats
Mowing; and A Prayer in Spring- Robert Frost

message 19: by Angus (last edited Apr 28, 2014 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Miles: Hello and welcome to the group. I don't think I'm the best person to answer your question. I'm also not inclined to answer it for we wish to focus on modernist literature. But don't despair! Google is your friend.

Tina: Whoops. Maybe we better keep in touch with our contact from FB? I'll give you her contact details next time.

Monique: Ooh, I know how you feel about A Passage to India! I still remember the fatigue when I read that.

Miss Ronnie: Wow! You're a certified Virginia Woolf reader. And yes, I temporarily issue those certifications, at least for this month.

Maria: Two is not bad. It's quite promising kaya. It would be three soon, yes?

Tin: Sorry, no points for TBR. And this might be the time to explore this kind of books!

Mabelle: I haven't heard of those stories by Mansfield and Lawrence. I'd like to look up these works that you mentioned for my quick reads. Thanks!

Mommy Louize: Merely poems? You don't say merely when we're talking about the poems of Eliot and Yeats!

Bennard: Wow! Your list gives you an early lead. Kudos!

Mae: Hmm. I haven't heard of Brecht. I'll check him out. Thanks!

Doc: In the spirit of competitiveness, go! Just let us know once it's done.

Here's my answer to the question (and I'm only answering this because I can't resist lists):
(view spoiler)

By the way, if you wish to rant and rave about any of the works that you mentioned, feel free to do so. And keep those lists coming. You know that we love them!

Ranee | 1902 comments Angus, meron pala pero maiksi lang. Mga 3 sentences lang. Hahabaan ko lang ng konti, wait lang

Bennard | 730 comments Surprisingly, I liked/loved all the modernist works that I have read.

message 22: by Maria Ella (new) - added it

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments (view spoiler)

message 23: by Miles (new)

Miles | 26 comments Absurdism can loosely be called late-modernist. I noticed somebody mentioned Kafka who was an absurdist, so I think works by Camus or even Kierkegaard count. :3

message 24: by Arjaye (last edited Apr 28, 2014 09:19PM) (new)

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments question1:

Ooohhhh.. Tough! Some titles are really familiar... Maybe read for academic purposes.. Will that count? kahit hndi ko na masiado alala..haha maybe or maybe not read. Half points pede? All those are pre- gr pa...way way back!

message 25: by Mabelle (new) - added it

Mabelle Ortega | 139 comments Angus: I studied them in college (Under Contemporary English Lit). You can find them in A Survey of English Literature by Fernando, Habana and Cinco.

Addition to my answer...

Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken, Stopping by the Woods on A Snowy Evening and Mending Wall

message 26: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Aha. So I have read some stuff, mostly poems. Updated my list on the previous post.

Angus - I have Victoria's number! I'll contact them na lang and ask when they'll restock. Baka naman ibang members na nakabili dito and they are secretly reading with us. XD

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Updated mine as well. Just listed the favorite poems from Pablo Neruda. :)

message 28: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Oh creys.

I haven't read any of those dudes in the list. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments This is embarrassing. I only have most of them in my to-read list :)) I'm populating my list with short stories and poems instead so The Great Gatsby won't be so lonely by itself

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Ycel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ycel | 662 comments Mostly Hemingway because of school, I think.
(view spoiler)

Maria (mariasm) | 2441 comments Chami: Yes! I am promising, chos. Hopefully, To The Lighthouse will be my 3rd. *winks*

message 32: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Alexa: Whenever I read any poem by e.e. cummings, I hear Tom Hiddleston's voice in my head. ♥

message 33: by DC (new) - added it

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 437 comments Question 1: (view spoiler)

message 34: by Angus (last edited Apr 29, 2014 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Hello, all updated lists have been double-checked.

Ella: Sadly? It's better than nothing, really.

NYKen: Ulysses for school? Well, Joyce meant it for the academicians anyway.

Miles: So ... are you going to answer the question or discuss absurdism? By the way, you may open new threads for other topics of interest.

Arjaye: Many have read modernist literature for academic purposes, so go ahead and list them.

Tricia: Can you describe your friend's reaction? ;)

Blue: It's not embarrassing. There's the attempt, at the least.

Ycel: Looks like we have a Hemingway scholar in you!

DC: I think I will drink a cup of Zonrox if someone says Joyce is a walk in the park.

Gwaxa | 350 comments Question 1: (view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments I am bad with titles and seeing your post made me remember a lot of things, especially Tom Hiddleston's ee cummings and yeats. I do have him on itunes. ♥

Bennard | 730 comments Updated my list too and added a Joyce collection that I forgot I read.:)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Hello, I've tallied your points and they are on the other thread.

Gwaxa: With some effort, I think it's possible.

message 39: by Arjaye (new)

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments Angus: sabi mo nga from school hehe: eto ang aking updated list:

1. the metamorphosis- franz kafka
2. the beautiful and the damned - fitzgerald
3. old man and the sea - ernest hemingway
4. i carry ur heart with me - ee cummings

eto na to..pigang piga na! haha kung me iba pa i dont want to consider kasi forgotten na sa sobrang tagal... :)

message 40: by Angus (last edited Apr 30, 2014 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Background of Virginia Woolf and To the Lighthouse

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
(view spoiler)

To the Lighthouse
An excerpt from Daniel S. Burt's study published in The Novel 100 (view spoiler)

"Never have I written so easily, imagined so profusely."
-Virginia Woolf, Diary, February 8, 1926, during the composition of To the Lighthouse
(view spoiler)

Question 02:
(view spoiler)

Question 03:
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Miles (last edited Apr 30, 2014 04:12PM) (new)

Miles | 26 comments Q. 2
V. Woolf also wrote literary criticism. Her most widely read are the two series of The Common Reader.

Her novel Flush is the biography of E.B. Browning told from the viewpoint her dog.

Q. 3
Stream-of-consciousness is scary(Ulysses,samot pang Finnegans Wake! wa gyud nko na human). I hope to enjoy the novel and this game.

Sorry. I don't know how to do the "hide spoiler" effect thingy.

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Question 01
(view spoiler)

Question 02
(view spoiler)

Question 03
(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Question 2:
(view spoiler)

Question 3:
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Mae (new) - added it

Mae (jamaeca) | 330 comments Question 2
(view spoiler)

Question 3
(view spoiler)

Bennard | 730 comments Question 2:
(view spoiler)

Question 03:
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Maria (last edited May 01, 2014 02:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria (mariasm) | 2441 comments Question 2:
(view spoiler)

Question 3:
(view spoiler)

message 47: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments Question 2
(view spoiler)

Question 3
(view spoiler)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Question 2:

(view spoiler)

Question 3:

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments Atty Monique: (view spoiler)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Blue wrote: "Atty Monique: [spoilers removed]"

Oo nga! Haha. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.