Language & Grammar discussion

Word Games > What's the word for....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahj) | 162 comments Hi -
I don't know if I should post this question here, but I'm looking for the word (verb) used to describe the ember of cigarette that gets too hot and burns the cigarette faster. I can't remember what causes it - taking too deep a drag? Taking too many drags in too short a time span?
I haven't smoked in ages, but I remember in high school sharing cigarettes and folks getting pissed off when this happened.
I'm sure we had a word for it.
Anybody got a clue?
Thanks

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18485 comments Mod
Non-smoker here. All I can think of is "toke," but that's an ember of a different color.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahj) | 162 comments Toke is a good word, though. Nice and tidy.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18485 comments Mod
Yeah. In writing, there's nothing like a one-syllable mot juste.

message 5: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 6387 comments Mod
Toke is a long drag (ex-smoker here). No idea what the ember is called.....

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18485 comments Mod
I think Sarah means the long draw or pull on the 'rette which creates the ember. Verb. Tough one. But I love challenges like this (keep 'em coming... I'll create an "I'm Looking for the Word for..." thread).

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahj) | 162 comments Yes, I think there's a word for what the hot ember is doing. Thanks for thinking about it.
And I'd love a "looking for the word for" thread.
cheers

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18485 comments Mod
Actually, this IS a "looking of the word for" thread because it's called "What's the word for...."

This will make do.

message 9: by Meridee (new)

Meridee | 6 comments You mean when someone "hotboxes" the cigarette until the "cherry" (ember) glows red hot and the filter is so hot you can't put your lips on it to inhale again or share?

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18485 comments Mod
Wow. That sounds rather authoratative, Meridee. Finally, a place where smokers are welcome and need not puff out on the sidewalk in the cold!

message 11: by Meridee (new)

Meridee | 6 comments Just an old ex-smoker (quit about 30 years ago) and my husband just quit after approximately 55 years of smoking. He taught me all the lingo. But, yeah, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahj) | 162 comments I've never heard those words but, yes, that's exactly what I mean. Wonderful.
thanks, meridee.
sarah

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I've heard of hotbox, ex-smoker as well.

message 14: by Stephen (last edited Sep 21, 2010 04:10PM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments I need a word for the thingee on the back of a man's necktie that one passes the short end through to keep it from flapping around.

In cheaper ties it's usually just the label but more expensive ties often have a label and a thingee.

In shirts the thingee on the back is sometimes called a locker loop but I know of no such terminology for the thingee on a necktie.

Even the lowly shoe lace has the word aiglet for the sheath at the end.

Anyone have a word for it? And if there isn't one... perhaps we should make one up. Perhaps it should rhyme with orange. Might as well clear up two problems with English at the same time.

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18485 comments Mod
When you find out, keep me in the loop.

message 16: by Carol (last edited Sep 21, 2010 06:06PM) (new)

Carol | 10401 comments All I could find was something called a keeper.Here is the link.

http://www.samhober.com/necktie/howto...

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments I should change my name to the digger.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments Hee hee So we are keepers.

message 19: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Glad to see that my confusion served some purpose Gabi!

Serious thanks to Kitty for her contribution I've been checking out hard copy dictionaries that label things for years and have never found a necktie in one.

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Never there was brass on the end of shoelaces, know only the clear ones that look like cellophane. What are sandshoes, Gabi, are they like sneakers, white?

message 21: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) That's what I thought. Thanks Debbie.

message 23: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 16012 comments Mod
They look like what we call "deck shoes."

message 24: by Stephen (last edited Sep 21, 2010 10:43PM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Ruth wrote: "They look like what we call "deck shoes.""

That's what we called em as well. We differentiated between these and the white soled mocassin style boat shoes that called topsiders (which I guess are really a brand name)

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I was thinking of the Keds brand, but when Gabi said sandshoes that Is what I immediately thought of.

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) What is the word you use for flip flops or what we in Hawaii call slippers?

message 27: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

In Oz...thongs (go figure!)
In NZ....jandals

message 28: by M (new)

M I've worn out many a pair of Topsiders. They used to be great shoes. Now they're made in China.

message 29: by Ruth (new)

flipflops = thongs = zoris = go-aheads

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments ankle buster=callous makers=toe-stubbers

message 31: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18485 comments Mod
Can't say thongs anymore because that's the word for "butt floss," a.k.a. what many young women call "underwear" these days.

Flip-flops it is, then.

message 32: by Ruth (new)

Thing a thong of thixpence...

message 33: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

What's wrong with jandals (an amalgam of Japanese sandals by the way).

message 34: by M (new)

M Skimpy underwear has been around since the days of Bach, when he wrote "Air on the G String."

message 35: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 1456 comments I remember them being called "go-aheads" growing up in Calif.
I think it was because it was hard to go backwards in them.... :-)

message 36: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

mawbles?!!!

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments I think it's like 'torn shed' as pronounced in the Chinese way..without the final consonants!

message 38: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

I got that....but "taw as in marbles"???!

message 39: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

The meaning is not important....perhaps you meant 'pronounced taw as in paw, or more'.....what was needed was a rhyme, not a synonym.

message 40: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18485 comments Mod
So I was "taw-t."

message 41: by M (new)

M Stephen, I just read your question in #15, about ties. The only thing that comes to my mind is a tie tack, which you punch through the tie and shirt to keep the tie from flopping around. Some of them punch through the tie but attach to the shirt with a chain. I always had cheap ties, made by Yves Saint Laurent or Ralph Lauren or Robert Talbott. They all use the label on the back to hold the tail.

message 42: by Stephen (last edited Oct 04, 2010 11:51AM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments M wrote: "Stephen, I just read your question in #15, about ties. The only thing that comes to my mind is a tie tack,..."

Thanks but I think that the "keeper" that was mentioned by Kitty in post 18 is the best answer so far. It fits the bill.

message 43: by M (new)

M Gabi, I didn't mention Brooks Brothers.

message 44: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Gabi wrote: "Sorry M. By the way, how's Miss Moneypenny? Boom Boom! ..."

BTW... Gabi the word for THAT noise is a rimshot and in the States it's spelled ba dum dum!

message 45: by Scribble (last edited Oct 19, 2010 01:27AM) (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 631 comments wicked, wicked mind :)

message 46: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

I'm game if you are Gabs! What can we get them to advertise!

message 47: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Messages #58, 59, 60, 61, 62....is Gabi talking to herself? Where are these messages? What is she talking about? Are you feeling ok Gabi?

message 48: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 631 comments Why not start a new thread and see what happens?

message 49: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

My google ads have disappeared!!!!

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments Mine also now it is only books

« previous 1 3