Allegiant (Divergent, #3) Allegiant question

Why did this series end this way?
Jelly224 Jelly224 Apr 25, 2014 05:19PM
I heard people say at my school that the reason the book ended this way is cause Veronica Roth was being hurried by editors and just had to finish the book quickly. So she just ended it like quickly with death. Others say that meant to end it like that and that all "Great things should come to an end." I What do you think?

Or, it is possible that Tris is a "false protagonist", a way to shock the readers into reexamining their preconceptions about the true protagonist, Four, and the actual message of the story. As well as making the reader feel his pain, loss, and "survivor guilt" more deeply.

Wow, seriously!!!! For a trilogy that is so action packed and exciting for the first 2 books, the third one comes in FAR BELOW MY EXPECTATIONS. SPOILER ALERT BELOW: After briefly discussing the main story line/conflict of Factionless vs. Allegiant and all that the main characters are working to solve, the third book brings in a whole new problem, with a whole new set of characters that as a reader we never really get to know well, and therefore don't care about. Four loses his strong lovable qualities, and becomes consumed with his insecurities. And worst of all the main character Tris, who has defied all odds of dying, survives yet another serum, b/c of her divergence, and has a touching discussion about her mom with the lab geek David. Then she saves the day by releasing the memory serum, to fix the Bureau, and goes down in one simple gun shot wound, and dies. Way to piss a reader off by killing off the main character that we have been rooting for the entire time. The rest of the book is Four and his struggle with her death.

I think it was hurried, and it wasn't very well thought out, once I distanced my self and emotionally detached myself from the characters I realized that it seemed to be written about as well as the self published romance novels. I think the ending had been planned from the beginning, Veronica posted on her blog that she though that Harry Potter should have died at the end, that pretty much gave me a good idea of how the series was going to end.

*mild Harry Potter spoiler*

Roth intended the book to end this way. On her blog, she posted that she felt Harry Potter should have died. She was not afraid of ending her book honestly and I felt like that was a good break from the unreasonably happy endings in most YA fiction.

I think that authors have already planned the major deaths before they start writing the first book of a trilogy, so no, I don't think that she killed Tris because of a deadline. I think that this book was the best of the whole trilogy and it seemed more real. In the other books I couldn't understand why the characters felt the way the felt and Tris's feelings were not described as detailed as the should. I think VR did the right thing when she killed Tris. It is a marvelous book.

**Spoilers**

I think it's true that Roth was being rushed with the third book, but I also think she intended to end it that way.
She was trying to make a point when she killed off Tris - that there are things worth dying for and that it's noble to sacrifice for others. The theme is there in Divergent when Tris' mom and dad sacrifice themselves for her and when Tris risks her life to save Abnegation.

It could have worked well in Allegiant if it was done right, but because she didn't have a clue what to do with the series after Insurgent, the plot was really weak and so the purpose for killing off Tris was basically meaningless.

Veronica Roth wanted to end it like this from the beginning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aza0t...

if young ppl decide to die then the world will lose its doers and have only thinkers.
not the kind of message to send across young adults out there.
her parents sacrificed to give her a life with peace. she could have lived and save the population of Chicago. or better yet more than one measly state!!

UUUUUUUHHHHHH....this was sooo..uuuuhhhhhhh...i couldn't stop CRYING,AND CRYING....SPOILER ALERT!!!!..
at first i thought nah theyre gonna find a serum to cure her...then i hit realization....and that when i just shattered into pieces...i know that it was unpredictable but still EVERYONE.loves happy endings...i think i threw a good amount of books at my poor WALL but it was worth it....i don't think i'll get over it(CRAZY!!) i keep reading it over and over but whenever i read about the zipline and how tobias wanted to do it the same way ...I..JUST..BREAKDOWN...looking all STRIGOI....
though no offence to the author but come on...on couldn't it have been someone else....sniff..but THANK YOU also for that journey...i will cherish it....:(:(:):)

i saw a few interviews with Ms Roth when the book first came out and i think that the intention was always there - while i don't agree at all with how the story was told - how the final installment took us on the journey - i felt that it was intentional. What bothered me more is that there was set up to a bunch of stuff throughout and then the third book took us there quickly and didn't give us time to really abosrb like we had the chance in prior books.

oh well...

I agree, Mia, but I still couldn't believe it when Tris was killed- How dare she, was what I though! I still don't know why she did, I know about the sacrifices and stuff, but why Tris?

Mia Forevez because tris is the most selfless and she couldnt stand seeing another one of her family dying
Apr 26, 2014 08:48PM · flag

throughout the whole trilogy Tris is trying so hard to be selfless and she just keeps failing(e.g. when she hands herself over to Jeanine). This is the time she finally got it right

the point for tris dying is ya know how through out the first few books roth wrote "i am selfless, I am brave"
she was trying to show how she was selfless and brave.
i dont think it was pointless i think it was showing how you sacrifices help and effect others

I THINK VR WAS RIGHT WHEN SHE CHOSE FOR TRIS TO DIE BECAUSE THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS SERIES WAS ABOUT SACRIFICE, SHE SACRIFICED HERSELF FOR HER BROTHER CALEB. AS AMAR SAID 'ONCE A STIFF, ALWAYS A STIFF'. I LIKE ROTH'S HONEST FEELINGS BEING SHOWN IN THIS BOOK.

In my opinion it was the perfect way to end it.
Tris has always had this identity crisis with 'where do I really belong'
And this was a kind of coming home. She sacrificed herself, as a true abnegation would have done, for the greater good.

I think it is a good way of building it.
In the second book she was trying to sacrifice herself as well, but she realised - with help - that it was the wrong way to go about it and that she was indulging herself rather than doing it for the right reason.
In the last book when she wants to live, that's when the sacrifice she makes has meaning, because she makes it purely because it is the right thing to do.
And she meets her mother.
She is home where it all began, but not just as an abnegation, but as a dauntless abnegation, facing death with courage for the greater good.

I think it shows perfectly who she is and I think it is good that it ended that way, even though I cried my eyes out.

I actually loved this ending it was really the only way to end the series and it was a amazing ending! there was a LOT of tears involved but it was definitely worth it.