genre X discussion

What should we read?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
I thought this might be a good place to compile suggestions for future genre X book club selections. What do you think we should read?

message 2: by Brad (new)

Brad | 6 comments At the last meeting I suggested something awesome like The Silmarillion or Dune, but that didn't seem to go over too well with the gang. I think we seemed interested in trying out a Classic (whatever that means - if Dune isn't a classic I don't know what is!). If we can pick a Classic involving elves or giant worm creatures, I would really appreciate it.

I think another stab at Non-Fiction would be nice, but this time something with a sustained focus (like The Devil in the White City or The Film Club or Marley and Me). Or maybe a Noir-style Mystery by Dashell Hammett or Raymond Chandler?

By the by, what’s on the docket following American Gods in June?

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Hi genre-x-ers!

I joined your group a little while ago but haven't attended a meeting because I haven't wanted to read any of the books you've picked, this month included. But, I promise I'm not that hard to please! Non-fiction, literary fiction, memoirs, I'm game! I'll always pass on young adult-ish and sci-fi, but I'm open to detective fiction and... whatever other categories there are.

Some of my recent favorites have been Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake and Dave Eggers' What is the What. I'd also like to read Devil in the White City, and Anthony Bourdain has been on my list for a while. Maybe East of Eden or All the King's Men? Can we find a middle ground?

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
Hi Andrea.

Thanks for your interest in genre X. We have a really diverse group of readers in our group, and we are trying to make sure we're reading across genre and format lines to get us to move outside our comfort zones and experience new books. We are currently in the midst of a Chicago Series, where we are reading some titles by local authors who are primarily concerned with the Chicago experience. This month's selection will also feature a discussion with the author, who lives in Forest Park. Next month's Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno is about high school aged protagonists, but I think it certainly qualifies as literary fiction.

Our selections for October and November are both nonfiction titles - the first (Everything Bad is Good for You by Steven Johnson) a modest proposal that exposure to television and the internet are actually making us smarter and the second (Fun Home by Alison Bechdel) a graphic novel memoir about family secrets and acceptance.

We are still determining our reading slate for the first part of 2009, and we're glad to take any ideas you have under consideration. I'd also like to encourage you to try reading some of the books you have a feeling you won't like and attending the discussion anyway. One of the things that make a genre X interesting is that sometimes you like the book, and sometimes you hate it. You don't have to love something to talk about it. In fact, when everyone agrees that usually means there's less to say.

message 5: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Reppe | 4 comments Mod
I haven't been to a meeting yet because things kept getting in the way, but I've read most of the books and I plan on coming to the next gathering. I really, really wanted to talk to someone about As Simple As Snow, but I had a bad cold that day of the meeting! So I think reading books by authors of our generation is the way to go. I have some suggestions that are all by authors of our generation, pretty much.
Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy by Robert Leleux
Slash, a memoir by Slash
Cowboy: The Legend of Colton H.Bryant by
Alexandra Fuller
Then We Came the End by Joshua Ferris
What is the What by Dave Eggers
There are also a bunch of young adult authors that are of our generation, but I don't know if those would be right for the group.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Thanks for explaining the selections, Monica, and I know you're right about discussions being more interesting when people disagree. I did pick up I Want to Be Your Joey Ramone and read a few pages, but I'll try it again and do my best to make the discussion, especially since it's probably poor taste to poo-poo a group and then never show up. I look forward to meeting you all sometime soon!

message 7: by LaRaie (new)

LaRaie | 3 comments Atmospheric Disturbances, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, Girls of Riyadh, Unaccustomed Earth, Animal's People, Wolf Totem. These are just titles I have been wanting to read, so it's totally selfish.

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 4 comments Mod
Thanks to everyone who has contributed suggestions so far and I continue to encourage those who haven't spoken up to do so! Based on your input and the discussions that have attracted the most attendees, I believe we will be refining our choices next year to include a more diverse and, shall we say, "meatier" array of titles. Since we do plan on holding another Book Swap in December instead of a discussion, be prepared to kick off the 2009 genre X lineup with another juggernaut like Murakami!

message 9: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Reppe | 4 comments Mod
I have two "meaty" suggestions. Lamb: the Gospel according to Biff; and Perfume: the story of a murder (you should like this Mandy—it's surreal.)

message 10: by Desiree (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:35AM) (new)

Desiree | 16 comments Well, I haven't like a lot of the books that we have read, but it opens my eyes to all the different genres. If you asked me a year ago if I would be reading The Watchmen, I would have been offended. It is nice to mix things up a bit. Even though I didn't really care for the last book, it got me started on other YA that I have been putting off, (hello Gossip Girl) And now I can't put it down.

Anyway, my suggestion would be anything by Chuck Palahniuk. "Haunted" to be more specific; I feel that book would interest a lot of people in our group, especially the future writers. He is one of my favorite authors. I can see some people not liking him or downright hating him, but that always leads to great discussions.

message 11: by LaRaie (new)

LaRaie | 3 comments Gargoyle. No One Belongs Here More Than You (a collection of short stories).