Start by marking “Isn't It Pretty To Think So?” as Want to Read:
Isn't It Pretty To Think So?

Isn't It Pretty To Think So?

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  751 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
"Isn’t It Pretty To Think So?" is a contemporary, coming-of-age tale by first-time novelist Nick Miller.

Set in Los Angeles, the novel follows Jake Reed, a world-weary recent college graduate struggling to find use for his liberal arts degree amidst a waning workforce. He eventually lands a job in real estate as a "Social Media Manager," a role that requires the mindless pu
Published June 11th 2012 by Fernando French Publishing (first published May 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Isn't It Pretty To Think So?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isn't It Pretty To Think So?

Lynne
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I have no idea
Recommended to Lynne by: It was a Kindle freebie
Just because your protagonist listens to obscure indie music artists, just because he references classic authors and their books, just because you use a metaphoric phrase from Hemingway as your book title, just because you write a story that is about love and loss and finding oneself, AND, just because you have a sad ending, doesn't make you--or your book--all deep and literary and shit.

Because when you put four similes in one long run-on sentence, and your similes are along the lines o
Lainie
Sep 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Author Nick Miller is very talented at social media. I bought this book because he friended me on Goodreads and I wanted to give this young writer a try. I read that others found the book because of a random post on tumblr, or a tweet. So we know that Nick has cracked one of the toughest obstacles for a newly published author: getting on people's radar. But unlike his lead character, Jake, I'll bet he puts in more than an hour a day doing it.

Given the high ratings on Goodreads, I special ordered
Steph
May 22, 2013 marked it as gave-up-on
I gave up on this book. I thought I could hold out to the end, but the ebook version had a weird page numbering that made me think I had 995 pages total to read. After I made it over 450 of those, I decided I couldn't take it anymore.

I do not find this to be an accurate version of the younger generation. The obsession with cellphones and Facebook is exaggerated greatly. Beyond that, and the fact that I found the protagonist's lack of motivation aggravating, the final straw for me was once I rea
Jenbebookish
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I actually struggled a little bit with my feelings about this book. I'm not going to lie, I had to give myself a little pep talk before I even started it. Because I went to hs with this guy, and actually remember seeing him--I have a clear memory of him in a red polo and the blue uniform shorts the guy's had at our school. So because I remember him, and because he's a young writer in general and nothing so great and amazing to me as a young writer, I knew that I really really wanted to like the ...more
Megan
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free as a Goodreads First Reads winner.

'Isn't it Pretty to Think So' was a journey of loneliness, discovery, depression, addiction, love, and loss. It reminded me a lot of Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. The book beautifully conveys a generational restlessness and need to connect in a time when young people have merged with technology and fully embraced instant gratification and excess. I particularly loved Jake's time at the mansion in West Hollywood. His experiences th
Amy Brown
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous, thought-provoking book.

I haven’t read a fiction book that inspired such a wide range of emotions when reading in such a long time. Nick Miller manages to perfectly capture our generation’s obsession with their online persona (something we’re all guilty of, in one extreme or another) and the unease that we’ve all felt when trying to find ourselves/our path.

I have felt very similar to Jake on many occasions and at points it did make me feel depressed to think of life as the same e
Federico
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book twice before writing a review. It was really worth it.

The overall style is ever so elegant and refined.
Jake’s overflowing interior direct monologues get you to relate to him a lot. They also underline the abysmal distance between Jake and what surrounds him. You see the protagonist as a person trying to deal with the world and to live experiences—experiences that you get to live yourself!—, not only as part of the world itself, in my opinion. You can’t help but side with him.

The
Ange
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dear Nick Miller,

I just laid your book to rest after reading it over the period of three weeks in the 34th summer of my life. I was inspired to write a review (that is actually a letter to the author) and casting it into the great seas of social media, much as the same way a wistful poet pens his lines on a piece of parchment before stoppering it into a bottle and sending it out to its inevitable destiny.

Although at first when I began reading your book, I didn't know what to expect, by the end,
Marcellis
Jun 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get more than a few pages without groaning or rolling my eyes at something. This book is filled with gross exaggerations of the millennial culture. So much so, that the book almost seems a parody of itself.
Joseph Molino
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I think I'm gonna have a week long book hang-over on this one.

An incredible first novel by Nick Miller. Every word, sentence, paragraph and thought written in this novel has hit me in all the right places.
Deo Anunciado
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a tremendous first novel and, at least for me, has instantly launched Nick Miller into the rarefied air of great young authors who were able to capture a unique time, place and feelings of a generation of youth.

There are two authors who come to mind that compare to this legacy: Ernest Hemingway and Jack Kerouac--writers who wrote their first novels in their 20's, lived in a period of disillusionment and restlessness, were charismatic and good looking and able to write about the unique cu
Emma
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Jake Reed is a twenty-year old graduate from Berkley who has been working as a social media representative for a real estate company for the last year. Living with a former classmate in his Grandmother’s condo in Laguna Beach, Jake has aspirations to become a writer and isn’t content with his life. When he finally quits his job, soon afterwards Jake inherits $50,000 dollars from his grandmother and decides to leave Orange County to live a life worth writing about. Jake has hardly ever been to Lo ...more
danielle
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nick Miller followed me on Tumblr one day out of the blue, which introduced me to his writing and his aspirations of publishing a novel. I supported the kickstarter campaign, and before I knew it, Isn't it Pretty to Think So? was sitting on my doorstep.

The story and Miller's writing style kept me intrigued- especially from my own position as another disillusioned twenty-something English grad. I definitely empathized with Jake a lot of the time. Jake's frustrations with how our lives and self-w
Libretto
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Does it sound absurd to say that this is a book of words? I was enthralled by and became enveloped within this outstanding piece of beautiful literature. The writing approaches perfection, the characters are almost too real (is that actually possible?), and you can't help but follow along breathlessly. Such writing is a rare gift to a reader. Can you tell that I adored this book? (And I did the proverbial reading-without-stopping twice through.)

This book caught me (by surprise, by love, by respe
Ali.b
Jul 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Nick Miller needs to be introduced to full stops. His sentences are drawn out with adjectives which simply take away from the book. Instead of writing 'I woke up to dappled morning light' he writes a freaking paragraph about sock draws and Polaroids and blockades. In his case less would definitely be more.

I only read up to page 9 before I had to put it down, it was making me so angry. However what I did read was of a terribly boring and weak protagonist who sulked and complained about life. I d
Danielle
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had been following Nick's posts on tumblr when he first mentioned it. So to finally read it was a huge treat. This book reminds me a lot of the first year I moved to Los Angeles. Somewhere around Chapter 9, I felt like I had shared these same experiences. It definitely is that book that you read and it gets under your skin.

He did a fantastic job about telling the story and the pacing was just right. It is a great first book and smartly written.
Jessica
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I can tell how much I am going to like a book by it's first line, and this is one of those books. This book takes you on a whirlwind of a journey, that will make you feel a mix of emotions, and you will love every minute of it.
Carrie
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is not the type of book I normally read - drugs, sex, the underbelly of society, a less-than-perfect ending - but I thought it was fantastic and very real. The writing is fresh and the story current and I felt equally uplifted and sad as I read about Jake Reed and his journey of discovery. His life is like none I've known and many times I wanted to reach into the pages and just slap some sense into him or shake him or something. This book made me think a lot and certainly made me thankful f ...more
Charlotte
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Oh my days. I loved every page of this book. Even when not much was really happening the writing style and the characters and Jake's own personal journey kept me engrossed and empathetic. The ending was brilliant - so unexpected! I don't want to give too much away because I highly recommend this to everyone!! Cannot wait for what Nick Miller treats us to next!! He's right up there with my favourites right now!
Craig Jackson
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just finished the book and I am upset that the journey of reading it is over. It is an amazing book, well written and really draws you in. The story of Nick Miller writing journey is just as interesting. He is a talented writer with a great career ahead, he has created a character that I can really bond with. I can't recommend this book enough. It was a pleasure to read.
Laura Anderson
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like many, I came across this book on social media. The basic plot is what caught my attention at first. Jake is 23 years old, newly out of college and working in social media while his heart is telling him to be a writer. And then he quits his job. How unbelievably identical to my own situation, right down to the goddamn job description. The timing of my discovery of this novel as I was simultaneously leaving my own job and contemplating what I feel now and have always felt I want to do with my ...more
Emilee Rosa
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Isn't is pretty to think so?
Such a catchy title. Makes you wonder what the book is about.
I took note of this book by browsing through someone's instagram. She quoted a quote from the book and I immediately thought, I NEED to read this. I'm a huge fan of coming of age, contemporary novels.. So I knew I'd enjoy this read.
Jake reed is a character of struggle. It seems as if he has the worst of luck. His world is constantly plagued with loss. He's his own worst enemy... Suffering through depression,
Katelyn
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been wanting to read this book a while. I follow Nick Miller's blog, and after discovering he wrote a book, I was utterly fascinated. It took me about a year to order it, but I'm so glad I finally did.

I must say though, I'm glad I read the book before I ever read a review on it. Some of you are extremely harsh. For a first book ever, for someone starting out in life, I absolutely applaud him. I think this book is perfect for anyone from 16 to 30. It's obviously targeted for a younger audien
Kirby Elaine
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize I never reviewed the book on this site. Like many, I followed the author on his journey to publishing this book. I promised myself that when it was ready I would read it and be unbiased (I developed an author crush on Nick Miller after following him for so long).
Though I had received the paperback of the book, I decided to read it on my kindle instead. One free Saturday morning I sat down and read the book cover to cover. I'm twenty-five so I could completely get that Jake was
Elissa
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be very pretentious. Jake had money and just spent it, but talked about wanting to be better and find the meaning of life. He always wanted answers, but never really DID anything to find them until he met Henry. In the beginning, he wasted his employer's time and money until he finally walked out. I was always waiting for him to find a reason to write and something to write about, but never felt like that came. When Jake met Henry, I thought it would finally be where he disc ...more
Cory
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, deeply felt debut novel. Some really excellent insights into the creative inspiration and mind of a writer, complete with the self-loathing and depression that seem to inevitably accompany them. Not the most uplifting book, but one I feel speaks directly to me and other twenty-somethings with my post-college despairing attitude. A novel that truly speaks to the power of individuals and their effects on our lives.
Katie
Dec 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I was a decent way into the book before I just couldn't read anymore. The whole west Hollywood party/club culture stuff brought the book down to a pretentious level that totally distracted me. The writing is not BAD, but it came up as over 900 pages on my nook. Where was the editor here?? Unnecessarily long and drawn out, I'm sorry for any Hemingway fans who are/were also expecting more from a book with this title.
Limhi
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
As I read this novel, I enjoyed following Jake Reed on his journey of self discovery. Nick Miller accurately portrays aspects of the Millennial generation: angst, self doubt, desires for greatness and deeper connections; all amidst the sifting of what is "real." Truly, a great first effort by Miller.
Lynne Fishel
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good read. I know the author and it was a bit odd reading what I know to be threads from Nicks life- difficult to separate truth and fiction. One thing is for certain- I'm glad I am not in my 20s trying to figure out what life is about... And am grateful I lived in a time before this social media season.
Cait
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

Really enjoyed this book, such great quotes that I found myself highlighting a lot! It was a page turner until about the last fifty pages which I found tough to get through. But even so I definitely recommend it!
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • Masquerade
  • ShadowShifter (ShadowShifter, #1)
  • Black & Blue (Black & Blue Series)
  • Temptations (Temptations, #1)
  • Tall Tales With Short Cocks
  • The Pirate Trilogy (The Pirate, #1-3)
  • Falling for You (Falling for You #1)
  • Fated Encounter (Holloway Pack, #1.1)
  • Rise of the Magi (Lila Gray, #3)
  • Song Of The Orange Moons
  • Losing Virginity
  • Chocolate for Breakfast
  • Meets Girl
  • Truth, Lies and Betrayal (The Mauve Legacy, #2)
  • An Actor's Life - A Short Story

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Light is always more beautiful when it has to fight to be noticed, like sunlight fighting through the clouds after a rainstorm.” 40 likes
“Beauty is not always as perfect as we imagine it to be, but it can be damn close if we learn to accept the scary parts or the ugly parts.” 25 likes