Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Which character are you most like?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I heard this question recently and really enjoyed it. Which Austen character are you most like? I have to choose Jane Bennett because she is an observer and doesn't let her feelings show. Plus, she has an overbearing mother and she fits me best.

message 2: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 8 comments Heidi, this is a really interesting discussion topic! I would love to think that I am like Elizabeth Bennet, as she is my favourite Austen character, but the sad truth is, I am not :( Actually I think I am rather more like Elinor - very boring on the surface but with feelings that run quite deep, and with a huge sense of responsibility.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Oh I'm definitely Catherine--frightened of everything and impervious to flirts! lol

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I also feel I'm a lot like Jane Bennett, but I haven't read all of Austen's novels yet so I can't be too sure. I found a fun quiz, though: http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=41259

My results indicated that I am most like Marianne Dashwood, then Elinor Dashwood, then Jane...

I'll have to read S&S soon, I guess!

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Lol, I scored as Elizabeth, with Catherine nowhere on the radar.

Elizabeth Bennet 78%
Elinor Dashwood 72%
Jane Bennet 56%
Emma Woodhouse 53%
Charlotte Lucas 50%
Marianne Dashwood 47%
Lady Catherine 25%

message 6: by Charity (last edited Feb 27, 2008 06:17AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Marianne Dashwood
69%
Emma Woodhouse
66%
Elizabeth Bennet
63%
Lady Catherine
53%
Charlotte Lucas
47%
Elinor Dashwood
34%
Jane Bennet
22%

I'd better get cracking on those unread Austen books that are sitting sadly on my shelf so I can judge if this analysis is accurate. (Top 3 characters, all from unread books...how sad is that? Guess this means I'll probably enjoy them, huh?)

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Elinor Dashwood
69%
Emma Woodhouse
66%
Elizabeth Bennet
59%
Jane Bennet
41%
Marianne Dashwood
34%
Charlotte Lucas
31%

Yes, that's about accurate. Though my friends and I had this discussion, and I think I'm a bit more like Emma than Elinor, if only because I have my very silly moments, spoiled moments, and I'm not /always/ as rational as Elinor, though I'd like to think that I am the majority of the time!

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie After taking the quiz today, I came up with:

Elinor Dashwood
75%
Marianne Dashwood
63%
Jane Bennet
59%
Elizabeth Bennet
50%
Emma Woodhouse
50%
Charlotte Lucas
44%
Lady Catherine

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Funny, funny! The quiz is pretty close to what I was going to say. In my opinion, I'm like Lizzy and Elinor: strong, independent, loyal, stubborn and like any first born, with a penchant for responsability, duty and practicality.

I would have never thought I was anything like Marianne but thinking about it, I guess I have a romantic streak because being from the 21st century, I can afford to. If I was thinking from the perspective of a early 19th century woman, I be closer to Charlotte Lucas. To tell you the truth, when I read the book, I totally saw where she was coming from and thought Lizzy judgemental.

Elizabeth Bennet - 66%
Elinor Dashwood - 66%
Emma Woodhouse - 56%
Marianne Dashwood - 50%
Jane Bennet - 31%
Charlotte Lucas - 25%
Lady Catherine - 19%

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_believes_in_faeries) | 1 comments What fun! I had a three way tie with Emma winning out on the tiebreaker question:

Elizabeth Bennet- 59%
Emma Woodhouse- 59%
Elinor Dashwood- 59%
Marianne Dashwood- 53%
Charlotte Lucas- 50%
Lady Catherine- 41%
Jane Bennet- 38%

I was afraid it was going to be Charlotte Lucas- I lucked into a fantastic marriage but I am very practical at heart... I wouldn't have thought to compare myself to Marianne.

Will have to look around for a villainess quiz that includes Miss Bingley, Lady Catherine, Lucy Steele, Fanny Dashwood, Mary Crawford, Mrs Norris, Isabella Thorpe, and Mrs. Elton...

*waves* at group- my first post. :-)

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (jaaddict) | 3 comments That is a cool website.
I was said to be Emma woodhouse.
I kind of see how I am an Emma in ways.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Which Jane Austen Character are You? (For Females) Long Quiz!!!
You scored as a Jane Bennet
As someone who would rather see the good in people, Jane is a true pacifist and caregiver. At times, her shy temperament and naive outlook of people can land her in a compliant position, but those who know her love her for her positive spirit and cheerful view of what surrounds her.
Jane Bennet
97%
Elizabeth Bennet
88%
Emma Woodhouse
88%
Marianne Dashwood
81%
Elinor Dashwood
63%
Charlotte Lucas
56%
Lady Catherine
31%

I rather thought that I would get Marianne Dashwood, since I'm almost always controlled by my emotions.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Thanks for the link to the quiz Jamie!
Here are my results...
Elizabeth Bennet 59%
Jane Bennet 47%
Emma Woodhouse 47%
Elinor Dashwood 44%
Marianne Dashwood 44%
Charlotte Lucas 38%
Lady Catherine 34%

message 14: by Korie (new)

Korie Brown (drbrown) | 11 comments thank you for the link to the quiz. When I saw the question, my first thought was "Marianne Dashwood." Then I took the quiz. Guess what? Marianne Dashwood! Passionate, amorous, devoted, a bit imprudent.... yep...

Now I'm going to take another quiz and see if I'm going to Heaven or Hell... =)

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarey1127) | 10 comments My results were:
Elizabeth Bennet 75%
Emma Woodhouse 66%
Elinor Dashwood 59%
Jane Bennet 53%
Marianne Dashwood 44%
Charlotte Lucas 41%
Lady Catherine 28%

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna | 1 comments What a fascinating quiz-- I would have guessed Elinor Dashwood, even though I'd like to think of myself like Elizabeth Bennet, a character I love--but I came out:
Elizabeth Bennet 75%
Elinor Dashwood 66%
Emma Woodhouse 63%

and on down below 50%

message 17: by Lily (last edited Mar 01, 2008 09:49AM) (new)

Lily | 2 comments i was a little surprised by my results. although, i do love miss elizabeth bennet. I haven't read sense and sensibility, so i better get on that and break the tie for myself.

You scored as a Elizabeth Bennet

Elizabeth Bennet
69%
Emma Woodhouse
69%
Elinor Dashwood
69%
Jane Bennet
53%
Charlotte Lucas
50%
Lady Catherine
34%
Marianne Dashwood
34%

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinor Dashwood
72%
Elizabeth Bennet
59%
Emma Woodhouse
53%
Charlotte Lucas
53%
Jane Bennet
50%
Marianne Dashwood
50%
Lady Catherine
28%

That was a very interesting quiz-- I really went into without trying to guess the outcome. I've read all of the books several times . . . Sense and Sensibilty is my second fav after P&P. I used to think Elinor was setting herself up as a martyr, but as I matured I realized that to her the self sacrifice was a way of showing her love. I guess as long as showing love is my motivation . . . I'm ok.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccabird) | 17 comments Elizabeth Bennet
81%
Marianne Dashwood
75%
Jane Bennet
69%
Emma Woodhouse
69%
Elinor Dashwood
I'm an S&S fan, however, I do agree with this...although I am pleased that Marianne was a close second. I'll take Colonel Brandon...anyday. haha

message 20: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 8 comments Elinor Dashwood
94%
Elizabeth Bennet
63%
Marianne Dashwood
63%
Emma Woodhouse
56%
Jane Bennet
53%
Lady Catherine
47%
Charlotte Lucas
34%

That's nice - the quiz results match my personal analysis!

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 20 comments Elinor Dashwood
88%
Elizabeth Bennet
66%
Jane Bennet
56%
Marianne Dashwood
53%
Emma Woodhouse
44%
Charlotte Lucas
31%
Lady Catherine
13%

I figured I'd be Elinor because Im rational and a bit closed-off at times. Sense and Sensability is my favorite of the Austen novels, then P and P, so it was nice to have the 2 sets of sisters as my top 4.

A question though, wonder why they have secondary characters as possibly personality choices instead of the heroines in her other novels...say Fanny Price, Anne Elliot or Catherine Morland??? Although those novels arent as popular to some readers, I think the characters are just as important!

message 22: by Chrystal714 (last edited Mar 07, 2008 06:01AM) (new)

Chrystal714 | 1 comments I was thinking Emma, however, I was also thinking I am not a good judge on these things so I am glad there was a quiz. I wasn't to far off. I like Jane Bennet better anyway.

Jane Bennet 69%
Elizabeth Bennet 63%
Elinor Dashwood 63%
Emma Woodhouse 59%
Charlotte Lucas 53%
Marianne Dashwood 41%
Lady Catherine 25%

message 23: by LeOta (new)

LeOta (berrylota) | 26 comments I took the quiz at Which Jane Austen Character Are You? - Quizilla Quizzes

and this is what I got:

You are the true hero(ine)! Sensible, steady and mature, you are the lynchpin of your circle of friends and family.

Male: At your best, you are a dynamo combination of Mr. Knightley from Emma and Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility. At your worst, you may be briefly beguiled by silly women (cf. Edward Ferrars in Sense and Sensibility and Captain Wentworth's behavior toward Lousia Musgrove in Persuasion), but in the end, you'll win through and end up with the proper heroine.

Female: You are Elinor from Sense and Sensibility! Wise beyond your years, you are all too aware of the folly of those around you. You are "sense" personified, and without you, things would certainly fall apart.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_lofgreen) | 9 comments I am excited to take a test because I always have an unsettling feeling that I am probably Mrs. Bennett. I am the mother of many children (some of which are the silly children in all of USA). I wish I was and Elinor or Elizabeth, but alas Mrs. Bennett is my fear.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_lofgreen) | 9 comments Well, They are kind to leave Lydia and Mrs. Bennett off the list. That is the only way to explain the kind results.

The lady Catherine is a little disturbing though.

As one of Austen's most beloved characters, Elizabeth Bennet represents what most women would like to become: strong, independent, and loyal. Of course, she has her faults including a stubborn will of iron and a clinging to first impressions. Overall, Lizzie is bright and lovable...something to admire and aspire to.
Emma Woodhouse
78%
Elizabeth Bennet
78%
Marianne Dashwood
72%
Jane Bennet
66%
Elinor Dashwood
56%
Charlotte Lucas
44%
Lady Catherine
34%

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

What a disappointments, I was hoping and thinking I would be most like Elizabeth Bennett but these are my disturbing results.
Lady Catherine 69%
Elinor Dashwood 69%
Marianne Dashwood 59%
Emma Woodhouse 53%
Elizabeth Bennet 50%
Jane Bennet 47%
Charlotte Lucas 34%

I kind wanna cry. I hate Lady Catherine.

message 27: by Greg (new)

Greg Rothenberger | 2 comments OK, I just took the quiz for fun.

81% Elinor Dashwood
63% Elizabeth Bennet
50% Charlotte Lucas
50% Jane Bennet
44% Marianne Dashwood
38% Emma Woodhouse
34% Lady Catherine

I guess I escaped the Lady Catherine curse, but it's probably time to reread Sense & Sensibility .

Now if I could just find a quiz like that for Austen's male characters.

message 28: by Greg (new)

Greg Rothenberger | 2 comments OK, found the Quizilla one:

"You are Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice. You're pretty arrogant, but that pride stems from the deep-seated knowledge that you are generally the most superior creature in any given room. The good news is that you are deeply loyal to your family, and you have a generous and charitable streak, even though most people don't notice because you are too busy practicing a large vocabulary of stern looks."

Somehow, I expected that.

message 29: by Éowyn (new)

Éowyn | 1 comments Every which Austen heroine are you? Quiz I always come up as Elinor Dashwood - so no surprises here then!

Elinor Dashwood 66%
Marianne Dashwood 50%
Elizabeth Bennet 47%
Charlotte Lucas 44%
Emma Woodhouse 41%
Jane Bennet 38%
Lady Catherine 28%

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments You scored as a Elinor Dashwood
As Marianne's older sister, Elinor lives at the other end of the emotional spectrum. She rarely reveals her intense feelings and is more concerned with being honest and loyal than having what she deserves. Even though her intentions are pure, she sets herself up for loss by constantly placing other people before her own needs. Overall, Elinor is gentle and rational but is just as capable of radical emotions (despite her withholding them) as her sister.
Elinor Dashwood
78%
Elizabeth Bennet
72%
Jane Bennet
69%
Emma Woodhouse
53%
Charlotte Lucas
47%
Marianne Dashwood
38%
Lady Catherine
31%

I figured I would be Elinor but I'm pleased to see that Lizzy is second on my list, since she is my favorite character. I often wish I were more like her. And I'm very glad that I am only 31% like Lady Catherine!

message 31: by D.G. (last edited Apr 11, 2008 04:49PM) (new)

D.G. You'll be surprised (and maybe appalled) to know that according to my husband he is most like Jane. He said he would have liked to be Darcy or would have even settled for Bingley but alas, he fears he is most like Jane.

(You can only imagine how much I laughed at this and told him I was going to post it here for your amusement. I hadn't even told him about this post!)

Then, he proceeded to said in a high falsetto voice with a British accent: Good night, Lizzie!

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie LOL! That's hilarious, Diva! What do you think about this? Which Jane-like qualities would you say he possesses?

message 33: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Well, Jamie, I laughed of course! What else could I do? My husband is very funny.

I don't think he is most like Jane so I actually asked him why he thought he was and he said: "Because I try to see the best of people and could be accused of being naive." This is a true assessment of course, but this could also be said of Bingley and my husband is very gregarious and likes everybody so I would say he's a lot like Bingley. However, he has a very serious side, is a very good judge of character and he's extremely honorable so I think he has a bit of Darcy too.

This has all come about because we watched the I taped P&P when they showed it on PBS and have been re-watching when I don't find anything on TV.

message 34: by lea (new)

lea (leaner) | 7 comments i took the quiz and scored the highest as elizabith bennet and mr darcy! which is so true becase i am sarcastic, i speak my mind and i don't really give a crap about what others think.

message 35: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 4 comments I took the quiz, with Marianne, Elinor, and Lizzy in the 50%s and trailing off from there into the single digits--as much as I'd like to be as lively and witty as Lizzy, I don't think I'm much like any of those women. P&P and Persuasion are my favorites of her books (as much as I love all of Austen), but I relate most to Anne and think of all the characters I'm most like her (although I wish I were as GOOD). Glad to have found other Jane Austen lovers on Good Reads, this is a fun group!

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 32 comments Not too bad really...I would have thought a bit more Marianne and Lady Catherine with a lot less Charlotte Lucas myself though.

Elizabeth Bennet
81%
Elinor Dashwood
78%
Jane Bennet
72%
Marianne Dashwood
63%
Emma Woodhouse
59%
Charlotte Lucas
59%
Lady Catherine
34%

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 32 comments Cheer up at least Lady Catherine had money and position. It could have been much worse if Mrs. Bennett had been on the list or Lady Bertram or her sister!! Imagine how horrible that would have been. You are just the female head of the family and of society in the village. Not bad when you think of it that way.

message 38: by Haley (new)

Haley (petersninja) | 3 comments I'm Emma. And like everyone says that too...

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna Swenson | 1 comments I tied between Emma and Marianne.

message 40: by Aod (new)

Aod | 7 comments I always identified with Catherine Morland, but my favorite character was Elizabeth Bennett. The quiz pegged me as Elinor Dashwood.

Elinor Dashwood 91%
Jane Bennett 75%
Eliza Bennett 72% (not bad)
Marrian Dashwood 56%
Charlotte Lucas 44%
Emma Woodhouse 25%
Lady Catherine 13% (I expect this number to get bigger as I age)

message 41: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments I am a Lizzy. I think that is part of why I love her so much -- I always feel like she does and says what I would when I read P & P.

Which Jane Austen Character are You? (For Females) Long Quiz!!!
As one of Austen's most beloved characters, Elizabeth Bennet represents what most women would like to become: strong, independent, and loyal. Of course, she has her faults including a stubborn will of iron and a clinging to first impressions. Overall, Lizzie is bright and lovable...something to admire and aspire to.
Elizabeth Bennet
75%
Elinor Dashwood
66%
Jane Bennet
59%
Emma Woodhouse
59%
Charlotte Lucas
53%
Marianne Dashwood
53%
Lady Catherine

message 42: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 2 comments Before taking the quiz, I would have bet on being a Jane or maybe an Elinor. I would really love to be a Lizzie, but I am not as clever. However, I do love to read and my feelings on music resemble Lizzie's. Here are my results:

Elinor 100%
Lizzie 84%
Jane 78%
Emma 53%
Charlotte 44%
Marianne 41%
Lady Catherine 25%

*Thanks Heidi...this quiz was a lot of fun!

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 32 comments A friend of mine took the quiz and had to ask me WHO the Dashwood sisters were. Needless to say I am rushing her a copy of Sense & Sensibility to read while she is overseas for the Navy!! At least she knew all the other characters!! I am beginning to wonder about her a her getting anymore blonde highlights!!

message 44: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_loves_2_read) | 1 comments Which Jane Austen Character are You? (For Females) Long Quiz!!!
Elizabeth Bennet
69%
Emma Woodhouse
66%
Jane Bennet
66%
Marianne Dashwood
63%
Elinor Dashwood
56%
Charlotte Lucas
41%
Lady Catherine
16%

Rat de bibliothèque (petitverepicureandelivre) | 1 comments Elizabeth Bennet 84%
Elinore Dashwood 81%
Emma Woodhouse 56%
Jane Bennet 53%
Marianne Dashwood 50%
Lady Catherine 44%
Charlotte Lucas 41%

message 46: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) | 1 comments Elizabeth Bennet
Elizabeth Bennet
75%
Elinor Dashwood
72%
Marianne Dashwood
69%
Emma Woodhouse
63%
Charlotte Lucas
53%
Jane Bennet
47%
Lady Catherine
13%

I think that is about right.

☠☼Serena☼☠ How do u take the test???

☠☼Serena☼☠ Thanks Jamie...for giving me the web address...

Here are my results...quite expected..(the Emma part at least):

Emma Woodhouse: 88%
Lady Catherine: 78%
Marianne Dashwood: 72%
Elinor Dashwood: 72%
Charlotte Lucas: 66%
Elizabeth Bennet: 62%
Jane Bennet: 62%

☠☼Serena☼☠ I am soooo happy that I am mostly Emma...it was expected though...

:D

u see wht i mean? when i get the right results...i rub it in...but i am admitting it for once

« previous 1 3