What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Science Fiction short story - split brain [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments I'm trying to remember a story, probably from the 60s or 70s (but possibly from the early 80s) - in it, a man is injured in an accident, and the doctors are trying to determine whether he would want to be allowed to die, or to be kept alive in serious pain. A new technique allows them to communicate with his brain hemispheres, which (due to the accident?) have been disconnected from each other. Unfortunately, each hemisphere wants something different. The story is told from the point of view of the man's young son. If I recall correctly, the messages from each side of the brain were "Oh my son, I surely do not want
to die" and "Oh, my wife, I surely do not want to live" - but the words were printed in parallel columns, with linebreaks that made the total message appear to be a stick-figure person. I read it in an anthology when I was in college in the 1980s.

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Found it: It's "The Man Inside" by Bruce McAllister, collected in "100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories " 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33304 comments Mod
Thanks for the update Andy.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments No problem. I finally thought to check the story listing for "100 Great SF short shorts" and found a title that sounded promising - and once I had that, a little googling confirmed it.