Start by marking “100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories” as Want to Read:
100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories

100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories

Contents include: The Science Fiction Blowgun by Isaac Asimov / A Loint of Paw by Isaac Asimov / The Advent on Channel Twelve by C. M. Kornbluth / Plaything by Larry Niven / The Misfortune Cookie by Charles E. Fritch / I Wish I May, I Wish I Might by Bill Pronzini / FTA by George R. R. Martin / Trace by Jerome Bixby / The Ingenious Patriot by Ambrose Bierce / Zoo by Edward ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 296 pages
Published August 9th 1980 by Avon (first published March 1978)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories

Tfitoby
100 Short short stories collected by one of the Grand Masters of golden age of science fiction. It can only go one way; stratospheric highs, combined with hellish lows and fair about of stories with their feet firmly on the ground. And that is exactly what I got.

There are some truly enjoyable stories in this collection, real imaginative works of art from the medium and format. Of course the short short story lends itself quite readily to the creation of truly awful puns or three pages of setup f
Andrew
Feb 20, 2017 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tricky book to categorise - like the title says it consists of 100 short stories which vary in length but none are longer than a few pages.

So why the challenge - well as you can imagine they vary greatly in quality or readability or just appeal I guess that part is subjective to the reader and for me - well it was easy to rip through the book as well you can do but there were whole groups of stories you could easily just forget.

Then again why not just right the book off- yes there ther
Ian
Aug 07, 2011 Ian rated it it was ok
Isaac Asimov wrote an entire introduction advancing the proposition that the effectiveness of short-short stories rests upon their "punch line." He then for some unfathomable reason decided to add pithy quips preceding each story, ranging from non sequiturs to facile jokes to complete giveaways of stories' punch lines. ("God damn it, Asimov," was a shamefully frequent thought of mine while reading this book.) Do your damnedest to ignore the blurbs — if you can manage it, you'll be much better of ...more
Fred Hughes
Oct 14, 2012 Fred Hughes rated it liked it
An oddball collection of really really short science fiction stories. Some of the authors are well known and others I've never heard of. Most stories are from the 50's 60's and 70's with the ocassional 1930's story.

Some show flashes of brilliance while others not so much.

Depending on how much you read the ending of some of them is obvious while others are may sophisticated. So if like your science fiction in small bites this is the book for you.

Light reading, nothing too heavy to absorb
Murray
Jan 10, 2011 Murray rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite collection of stories! "The Sign at the End of the Universe" always makes me laugh.
Bad-at-reading
Dec 05, 2013 Bad-at-reading rated it it was amazing
If groan-worthy Twilight Zone twists and terrible, awful puns are your thing, this is an essential anthology. I love both of these things unashamedly.
Darin
Sep 09, 2014 Darin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The title is a bit misleading. The 100 included short stories are "short short" in length, but few are actually great. Coming from a host of major and minor science fiction and fantasy writers there are many themes exercised throughout the work and co-editor Isaac Asimov himself includes four of his short stories.

100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories does offer a few surprises. For one, George R. R. Martin's "FTA," a short involving interstellar travel, is surprisingly good considering
StarMan
SHORT short stories. In fact, one is only 3 words long!

A few that will make you groan, but overall a pretty good collection, and lots of variety. I read a LOT of sci-fi, but had only seen one of the 100 stories here before.

These are stories whittled down to their essence; the average length is about 2.5 pages. Although some of these older stories will not impress, most are well-written, and a few will stick with you. It's also a good way for aspiring authors to see examples of writing without fl
Michael Tildsley
Oct 02, 2016 Michael Tildsley rated it liked it
This is a collection that, for the most part, doesn't take itself too seriously. It seems that most of the time short-short stories only ever really have time to convey one emotion, and the easiest emotion to send out in a short amount of time is humor. I don't dislike that, and many of the funny stories in this collection are memorable, but so too are the ones that end in tragedy.

Here are the stories I thought were worthy of five stars in and of themselves:

"Zoo" by Edward D. Hoch

"The Destiny o
Cheri Arbuckle
Aug 30, 2015 Cheri Arbuckle rated it really liked it
I love good flash fiction. I also love classic SF/F. This book is a great combination of both. In here are 100 stories from the biggest names in SF prior to 1980. Some stories are better than others, as to be expected with any short story collection, but particularly one this size.

Keep in mind the age of these stories while reading them. They were all first published between 1937 and 1976 and they show the customs and mores of their times. There are only a small number of female voices here, but
Michael
Feb 06, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Some of these extremely short stories were quite good, some were hilarious but overall, I found the collection to be disorientating and disappointing. There's something very frustrating about reading a sci-fi short story that lasts 3 pages and then starting another one that lasts 3 pages and on and on. As soon as you get your bearings in the story, it's over. In addition, a lot of the stories seemed just to be built around one punchline. Kind of a waste of time. Toward the end, I just skipped th ...more
lauren
Sep 23, 2010 lauren rated it it was amazing
There aren't enough compilations like this. Seeing into the future, as science fiction writers (i.e. editors) are destined to do, they saw a world filled with instant conveniences...including reading.

I've owned this book since my father gave it to me as a child, and though I haven't picked it up in years, some of the stories within remain my favorites.
Skye Cardoz
May 12, 2014 Skye Cardoz rated it it was ok
I do not usually read science-fiction, but I thought I'd take a chance with this. Maybe because this isn't my genre, I didn't like this book so much. Some of the stories in here were really good and blew my mind. Some of the stories scored points for imagination. However, the rest were just boring. I didn't even understand it.
Dan Sutton
Jun 02, 2012 Dan Sutton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This compilation of post-Golden-Age and Golden Age science fiction is a requirement for anyone who takes the genre seriously. It contains stories by Asimov, Sheckley, Blish, Bester and many others, a large number of which are not available anywhere else. Thirty five years after its publication, this book represents a fascinating window into the history of science fiction in the '60s and '70s.
Dean Deters
Aug 10, 2013 Dean Deters rated it really liked it
A fun collection. Many of the stories are a bit dated, but that is part of the fun, to see what was considered futuristic. Several stories are based on puns, and are groan inducing. A definite recommendation for true fans of the genre.
JW
Nov 05, 2015 JW added it
This gem helped me complete a short-story-a-day challenge in 2015.

Some good, some great, and some garbage, but the experience of reading them was largely painless and mostly fun. You're a rare breed if all 100 are to your liking, though.
mary
Aug 12, 2014 mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-time
Will use several along with the ones in my text for the pairs-lessons.
Chris Gregory
Oct 12, 2016 Chris Gregory rated it really liked it
I liked this much more than I expected. Not usually a fan of short stories. But, this is a good collection, and they work well together and are in an order that makes them seem somehow related.
Andrew
Nov 27, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
Excellent compilation. First read this 20+ years ago and there are still some stories I think about every week.

Not ALL are first rate, hence the 4 stars, but a lot are.
Michael
Jan 25, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
It was a fun, light read.
Adam
Apr 05, 2007 Adam rated it really liked it
The set-up, the twist, the end. Who needs that pesky "middle", anyway?
AndrewP
Nov 06, 2013 AndrewP rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Anthology
Justin
Apr 23, 2015 Justin rated it liked it
Some of the stories were good, some weren't so great. I recommend it as a book you read in between books or you just have so if you get bored of your current book, you read it.
Alex Akesson
Dec 25, 2013 Alex Akesson rated it it was amazing
Sign at the end of the Universe
dn puǝ sıɥʇ
Dami (Damiellar)
I still love a good short story (I consider it a true art form)
Learsi A.
Dec 09, 2016 Learsi A. rated it it was ok
I only read this book because I was waiting for another, however I liked most of the stories.
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Greyhaven
  • The Pinkish, Purplish, Bluish Egg
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighteenth Annual Collection
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II B (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2B)
  • 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories
  • Dangerous Visions 2
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Water Spirits (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Mad Amos
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • By Any Other Name

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...