The Sword and Laser discussion

Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Green Mars
TV, Movies and Games > Scifi TV guru J. Michael Straczynski and Game of Thrones producer Vince Gerardis are bringing Kim Stanley Robinson’s beloved Mars trilogy of novels to TV.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Disclaimer: Bringing them to Spike TV.

http://io9.com/kim-stanley-robinsons-...

message 2: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (patthebadger) | 100 comments A Red Mars adaptation has been bouncing around for so long I'll believe it when I'm actually sitting in front of my TV watching it & not before.

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Color me intrigued. Now the annoying process of trying to figure out how to stream it.

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4073 comments Dang. I'm conflicted. Love Straczynski, actually, I met my wife at a Babylon 5 party at LosCon. The "Mars" series bored me to tears. It took a great one or two book idea and stretched it into an endless trilogy of filler after filler. I threw the last book across the room when I finally finished.

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6350 comments Joanna wrote: "Color me intrigued. Now the annoying process of trying to figure out how to stream it."

Red...color. I see what you did there.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I did not like the books. Well, book. I couldn't go on.

But if they take the plot and throw the rest away, it could be fine. Debuting in January 2017 is ambitious, though.

As I said elsewhere, someone at Spike really likes sci-fi. They ran the various Star Treks for years, as well as other SF flicks. So it doesn't feel as weird to me as it seems for other people. When Syfy/Sci-Fi wasn't running SF, I generally watched stuff on Spike.

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Tamahome wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Color me intrigued. Now the annoying process of trying to figure out how to stream it."

Red...color. I see what you did there."

Yessss. I totally did that on purpose. *shifty eyes*

message 8: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments These books bored me to death. I bought the series back in the 90's via one of those book club subscription things they used to have so I was determined to finish them despite the first book being mind numbingly boring. I eventually finished it and the second but I couldn't finish the 3rd. It was just sooooooooo booooooooring. I've never tried again and likely never will since I'd have to start over since I don't really remember much except boredom.

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Dec 10, 2015 07:05PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3597 comments Mod
I struggled through one. Total snooze fest. :-(

Though I liked the ideas. Condensed into a short TV series I could see it working.

message 10: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4073 comments The series had its moments. The space elevator crashing was pretty cool. Also the walk across Mars by the Russians, with Mars not much colder than a Russian winter. It's just that those moments were few and far between.

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1592 comments It has been quite a while since I read them, but boring was not one of the things I remember about them. Then again I'm a pretty big fan of the hard science sub genre as written in the late 90's (and early 2000's) by KSR, Alasteir Reynolds, and even Neil Stephenson (to a degree). And at the time I was also really enjoying reading non fiction science books for fun as well.

Different strokes for different folks. Glad there is a place for us all in the broader genre.

message 12: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (patthebadger) | 100 comments I love it when something splits the crowd like this. I loved the whole series but completely understand people not liking it. I always thought it would suit a TV series rather than a film. I just hope they make a good job of it because if they screw it up we'll be unlikely to see another attempt anytime soon.

Darren I loved Red Mars. Blue and Green I like to a lesser extent, but Red Mars was just fantastic.