dragoonthechallenge discussion

DECEMBER! THINGS ARE GOING TO GET FUCKING WEIRD

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marina (new)

Marina (regulardragon) | 74 comments Mod
dumb books, surreal books, bizarro books, IDEK

message 3: by Tori (new)

Tori (sometorist) | 21 comments tbh i'm not really sure what we're qualifying as weird lmao but i WILL SAY that i'm currently reading Bitch Planet, Vol 1: Extraordinary Machine on the recommendation of a coworker and it's pretty fucking great!!!!!!!!

message 4: by Marina (last edited Dec 09, 2015 11:23AM) (new)

HONESTLY I DON'T EVEN KNOW EITHER.

Here's what I decided to do to qualify a book for this month:

1. Does the story sound strange?

2. Will I say 'what the everloving fuck' at some point? (in a good or bad way, doesn't matter)

PERFECT.

message 5: by Tori (new)

Tori (sometorist) | 21 comments Hahah WELL bitch planet def meets that criteria!!!!!

message 6: by Tori (new)

Tori (sometorist) | 21 comments ahhh ok so i started reading The Bone Clocks and it's SO FUCKIN WEIRD i have nooooo idea what's happening!!!! i thiiiink it has to do with some sci-fi/fantasy MASSIVE WAR OF SUPERNATURAL BEINGS but at this point WHO TF KNOWS, IT COULD BE ABOUT ANYTHING bc i have literally no idea what's happening rn

message 7: by Marina (last edited Dec 27, 2015 04:06PM) (new)

I READ THE NIGHT VALE BOOK, IT WAS NOTHING I EXPECTED IT TO BE, IT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I EXPECTED IT TO BE!!!!!

Seriously, it was great. I didn't expect it to be about two women, but it was and it's amazing. I expected it to be strange and fuck me up and it did. SO REALLY, READ IT.

An aside, I think my thing with the Night Vale universe is that I always assumed everyone was pretty nonchallant about all the weirdness within their town, of course, there's a high level of acceptance of the absurd, but sometimes it was a bit jarring when brief passages would actually show you that these people are scared as fuck and they don't really take everything in stride, you know?

I think the book really helps you in learning more about the lives of the people who live in Night Vale, like really understand what is happening to them and how they perceive Cecil's show too. It's really interesting. Both Jackie and Diane (the protags) go through this journey that makes them question their place in the world and why they have to be from Night Vale, and it's cool to see them sort of come to terms with that in the end, in their own ways. I don't know if I'm making sense, but it made me actually like the Night Vale universe more than the show we listen in the podcast. That's Cecil's view, and it's great, but there are more ways to connect with Night Vale.

I was going to add a gif here but I have no idea what the fuck it was anymore, so here goes how I always pictured the man in the tan jacket with a deerskin suitcase even though it makes no sense.

message 8: by Tori (new)

Tori (sometorist) | 21 comments dude i'm SO GLAD the book is good!!!! i've been eyeing it for a while, but for some reason was super skeptical about it?? i think i'm just always skeptical when it comes to media crossing into other media yk? tbf though i knew literally nothing about it – it's definitely much higher on my list now!!!