The Origin of Species The Origin of Species discussion

looking for books for and against evolution

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dale Pearl Looking for books that provide solid data, research, and logic to argue the cases for and against evolution.
Please do not include the bible or the origin of species.

Gerd Well, it will become difficult to find anything that uses logic, much less hard data or even research at all to make a case against the theory of evolution.

Dale Pearl Gerd wrote: "Well, it will become difficult to find anything that uses logic, much less hard data or even research at all to make a case against the theory of evolution."

I'm not looking for opinions, I'm looking for reading material. Thanks.

Gerd Dale wrote: "I'm not looking for opinions, I'm looking for reading material. Thanks."

Only pointing out that you may expect just too much there. :)

message 5: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen I don't have the material to hand but there was an episode of Nova not THAT long ago called Evolution on Trial. It cited several sources. Perhaps you can get a copy of that or see the material references on the PBS website

Frodo I think you need to look at case law surrounding the separation of the state and the church particularly in schools-

One case in particular is Epperson v. Arkansas, 895.Ct 266 (1968)-State statue banning teaching of evolution is unconstitutional.
A state cannot alter any element in a course of study in order to promote a religious point of view.
A state's attempt to hide behind a nonreligious motivation will not be given credence unless that state can show a secular reason as the foundation for its actions.

Edward v Aquillard (1987)

Unconstitutional for state to require teaching of "creation science" in all instances in which evolution is taught. Statute had a clear religious motivation.

Here is a link to case law in that area

http://infidels.org/library/modern/ch...

message 7: by Saida (new) - added it

Saida Rahmani The ears of cattle Dr imad Hassan
solid arguments in favor of evolution
i highly recommend

Dale Pearl Laura wrote: "Naked Ape"

thank you!

Dale Pearl Saida wrote: "The ears of cattle Dr imad Hassan
solid arguments in favor of evolution
i highly recommend"

thank you!

Frodo The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
Richard Dawkins

message 11: by Stephen (last edited Dec 14, 2015 04:18PM) (new) - added it

Stephen I label myself a born-again pagan so not big fan of creationism but you might want to read Of Pandas & People it's the creationist intelligent design text-book that cost the school-board of York PA over a million dollars in legal fees.

Actually their requiring their biology teachers to read a statement stating that "Evolution is only a theory" and that there are other equally valid theories and then fighting it in court is what cost them the money. Turns out that the books were donated by one of their church-going school board members.

If you want the whole story check this NOVA episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HZzG...

message 12: by Dale (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dale Pearl Stephen wrote: "I label myself a born-again pagan so not big fan of creationism but you might want to read Of Pandas & People it's the creationist intelligent design text-book that cost the school-b..."

I understand where you are coming from. Just trying to find books that do not necessarily have a biased or formed opinion one way or another.

message 13: by Dale (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dale Pearl blereader wrote: "I'm not sure if one can find works that outright contest the theory in all circumstances. It seems that evolution at certain scales is accepted among most people (in particular "microevolution"). D..."

thanks!

message 14: by Dale (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dale Pearl Laura wrote: "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
Richard Dawkins"

Richard Dawkins is a very intelligent man. I have read several of his works. Problem is he is clearly biased in a single direction and comes off as wanting to declare on anyone who would challenge his ideas. Very closed minded and I am looking for works that aren't a declaration of "This is how it is", rather, "This is how it could work"