What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Book about a sentient house (named House) and a ghost boy, revolves around a girl who visits it [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nivei (new)

Nivei | 3 comments The house House has 'awakened' and a boy who died there is trapped there where his bones are (might have been named Nick?). A young girl who is emotionally abused by her father through his physical abuse of her mother comes to House (can't remember how) and meets the boy, who tries to scare her away at first by kicking his head down the stairs. She ends up spending most of her time there by pretending she's studying in the library at school. On Halloween, the boy (who House allows to leave sometimes since she came) comes and takes her trick or treating by taking her spirit from her body. Her spirit appears as a metallic girl, because she has an emotion shield. The book ends kind of openly as the young girl feels the wall of her own house and reaches for it's soul (to awaken it).
House can move things around inside of it, and I believe the boy can leave because the girl takes one of his finger bones with her.

message 2: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Dec 05, 2015 09:06PM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments It sounds a bit like The Boy in the Cemetery but the girl is abused in a different and much muvh worse way I believe. There is another book I was thinking about but cant recall title right now. Need to look through my books but was the house inside a forest?

message 3: by Nivei (new)

Nivei | 3 comments I can't remember exactly but I don't think it was. The girl was able to walk there from school so probably not.

message 4: by M (new)

M (miyu) | 56 comments What about Nina Kiriki Hoffman, A Stir of Bones.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33505 comments Mod
Link for M's suggestion - A Stir of Bones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman.

message 6: by Nivei (new)

Nivei | 3 comments Yeah, that's it! Thanks very much.