Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > One or many books in parallel?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 371 comments How many books do you read at any one time? In parallel, I mean. Do you start and finish one book before moving on? Or do you keep more than one book going simultaneously?

My Reading list is over 20 books long currently. But I will finish them all sooner or later.

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments I'll say that I really read 3 as the same time, having 2-3 others awaiting to be continued. When I'm reading a really compelling one, I read nothing else until I've finished it, but it doesn't happen often.

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments I almost always read an ebook and an audiobook at the same time, so at least 2, but it can go up to 4 at the same time. Usually I don't like reading multiple books on the same media (like 3 ebooks at the same time), I don't know why.

message 4: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3470 comments I used to be only one at a time, but at some point since I've started reading again (I didn't read much for the years my daughter was a baby/little) I've become a serial multi-book reader. At the moment I think there are 13 books on my "Currently Reading" list. I think I have ADRD (Attention Deficit Reading Disorder), because once a book starts to disinterest me, but not enough to give it up entirely, I start something different. If I'm really enjoying a book, I tend to focus on that one, but for some reason I usually seem to be all over the place. Although that's a fairly accurate reflection of my mental state! >.<

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisar87) | 33 comments Up until recently I only ever read one at a time. Then I also started having different books on different medias (ebook, audio, and a physical one). But currently I really rediscovered my love of reading and am now in the middle of 3 physical books.

message 6: by Sinéad (new)

Sinéad O'Brien (sinead89) I usually have between 2-3 books on the go. I try to make sure they're pretty different formats (ebooks, graphic novels, audiobooks) so that they're distinctive. I just like to switch between.

message 7: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
I used to have only one book going at once but lately I've been reading more than one. However, I'm also noticing that if I start a different book then that's usually a strong indication that I don't really want to finish the first one. It's just my way of rationalizing it and slowly abandoning the first one because then by the time I am forced to revisit it, I feel even less committed and I abandon it. In other word, I "technically" read multiples but I really want to read a book then I read it all at once.

I know... so much psychology related to my reading habits :p

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Brady | 69 comments I usually read just one book at a time but if I am reading multiple books they are completely different genres. I'm always reading one novel/work of fiction and then I can also add a non fiction and a memoir or biography. I can never read two novels at once.

message 9: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads | 171 comments I've generally got three or four active reads going at one time...right now I have about 10 books on my "currently reading" list because I've put a few things aside that I will pick up later (hopefully finishing them as part of the 2016 challenge). I tend to read different genres like Amanda mentioned above.

message 10: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 780 comments Most of the time I only read one book at a time however sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 on the go. They'll all be in different formats though so one physical book, one audiobook and one kindle book. If I try reading two physical books at the same time then I'm likely to abandon one of them completely for the other as I'll probably find myself more invested in one. Then the one I abandon may either take me a really long time to finally finish or I might completely abandon it and never finish it.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelfil) I used to read only one at a time, but I find that impossible to accomplish right now. Lately, I find that I'm alternating between one fictional and one non-fictional book and, at the same time, I'm reading 3 different children's books for the classes that I'm teaching.

Although, I'd much rather read books one after the other. I get too distracted this way.

message 12: by Michelle (last edited Dec 15, 2015 06:57AM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1177 comments I used to read one at a time also but now, in order to get all the reading done I want to, I've started doing three at a time (one Kindle book, one physical book, one audiobook). I could never do 20! Wowza! But I find if I try to keep the stories distinctly different (like different genres) they're easier to segregate in my head.

To be fair though, I may be reading three at a time but I'm usually pushing through one more seriously than the other two.

message 13: by Alexxy (new)

Alexxy | 87 comments I used to read books one at a time too, but now I just can't do that anymore. I believe I suffer from some sort of boredom problem because it doesn't matter how much interesting the book is, after ten pages I get tired. So, I always pick about 6-7 books and alternate between them to keep myself interested.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2741 comments I only read one at a time because I find it hard to focus on too many at once. Plus I don't have a ton of time to read, so I would end up prioritizing one book anyway.

message 15: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 26 comments I usually alternate between 2-4 books. I get bored with just one.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I can only do one at a time or the story lines get mixed together in my head lol.

message 17: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Decker | 23 comments I often am "reading" 2-4 books at a time. Usually 1-2 at home and 1 I keep at work to read on breaks.

message 18: by MJ (new)

MJ | 677 comments I usually read 2-4 books at a time, unless one really grabs me, and I read it right through. What I read depends on my mood. For this challenge though, I'm pushing through, and trying to finish a book that I've started without getting diverted. It has worked so far, except for my non-fiction that I'm reading one chapter at a time - but each chapter is quite distinct - not like a book chapter but more like an essay that's only a little related to the others.