The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Tripping Toward Lucidity: Estella's Revenge Reading My Own Damn Books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Tripping Toward Lucidity: Estella's Revenge
Reading My Own Damn Books
Posted: 29 Nov 2015 08:12 AM PST

"After much Christmas decorating yesterday, house clutter started bothering me, so I culled my books and did scads of rearranging shelves. I've had it in my mind that I want to focus more on my own TBR in 2016, so I got to work. I tossed books that I've lost interest in or set aside half-finished that I don't really want to finish. I tossed books that I was holding onto out of some sort of reviewer's guilt.

After I cleaned out my shelves, I decided to...da-duhmmmm....count how many physical books are in my house. Grand total: 210. Not as bad as it could be, but that's only physical books, as I said, and not the ebook stash. I don't even want to talk about that.

So the plan for 2016? #ReadtheDamnBooksYouAlreadyOwn is a hashtag that started thanks to a Twitter discussion...as most things do. When I mentioned wanting to shop my own book stash in the coming year, Adam from Roof Beam Reader suggested his long-running TBR Pile Challenge, but as it turns out, he won't be hosting it this year. I've failed miserably at this challenge in the past, so I was already a bit weary.

Several trusted blogger friends on Twitter suggested some alternative challenges like James Reads Books' final TBR Triple Dog Dare or My Reader's Block's Mount TBR 2016 Challenge. But....I kinda don't want to deal with any rules but my own.
The result: #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks. I'll be using this hashtag to talk about this personal challenge throughout the year. The rules are pretty nonexistent.... Read my own books Try to knock off 100 in 2016 by either reading them or ditching the ones that are DNF I can't buyyyy myself any books until I've read a significant amount of my own. Like maybe I can treat myself for every 5-10 of my own books I read. I'll be fairly flexible with this and see where my guilt leads me. If I'm itching for newness...use the library. Even if it's the shitty local one. I look at my shelves and there are SO MANY GREAT BOOKS waiting! And the ones that aren't great...be-gone-ya. The pic above is not all of my TBR, but it is the biggest chunk, nicely culled and organized. I'm a big believer in keeping a manageable amount of things in the house, and when you live in a small house, the culling, cleaning out, and only keeping what you really need is IMPORTANT. Clutter messes with my head...a lot...so this is also an attempt to keep what I really love instead of collecting, collecting, collecting. Wish me luck with #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks! If you'd like to join me, feel free to link up below. This is TOTALLY a choose-your-own-adventure, so don't feel beholden to my rules. You do you and holler with the hashtag on Twitter! "

ALL CREDIT AND IDEAS FROM ABOVE ARE FROM: http://estellasrevenge.blogspot.com/2... CONTENT OF POST HAS BEEN CUT FOR EASE!

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments I'm starting my goal with two books a month
1) Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
2) The Fifth Sacred Thing (Maya Greenwood, #1) by Starhawk
3) Job A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein
4) 2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club, #2) by James Patterson
5) Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
6) Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
7) Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein
8) Death in Venice, California by Vinton Rafe McCabe
9) I Am Malala The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai
10) For Us, the Living A Comedy of Customs by Robert A. Heinlein
11) The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
12) Witch and Wizard (Witch and Wizard, #1) by James Patterson
13) The Horror Of The Shade (Trilogy of the Void #1) by Peter Meredith
14) Finding Serenity Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly by Jane Espenson
15) The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
16) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
17) Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

I'll actually have to look at my shelf for more.

18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)

message 3: by Danica (new)

Danica (sweetdanica13) This is a great idea Colleen! I have the same situation going on myself, I tend to stick to my kindle mainly due to convenience, but really should read my physical books. I do have a nice collection stocked up and haven't read any. The books you are getting rid of, are you donating them? I always feel so guilty when I get rid of books.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie  Webb | 6 comments This sounds like fun. I am doing a challenge game called bookopoly for another group. We started a little early for 2016 but I already pick a book I own cor the sci-fi tile. War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches and I have never read it. So there we go.