Start by marking “2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club, #2)” as Want to Read:
2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club, #2)

2nd Chance

(Women's Murder Club #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  81,730 ratings  ·  2,384 reviews
Published May 20th 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published March 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about 2nd Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2nd Chance

Marie
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Chapter 1
I drove up to the library in my black Miata. Walking in, I thought, "Hell, I deserve a book, I've had a rough couple of days." I searched the shelves looking for books on my list...nothing. I sighed. Oh but what did I see? A James Patterson, I couldn't wait to tell the girls. I grabbed it and went to check out. The clerk told me I owed a fine; I exhaled. I must have gotten distracted from returning books before - when I was on the job of my lifetime that catapulted me into the spotlight
Phrynne
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book from James Patterson. I am really enjoying working my way through his many books! This one is the second in his Women's Murder Club series and it was fun, easy reading. I read most of this on a train trip and its short chapters, good story, and lots of action and intrigue made it ideal reading for this purpose. This is a fun series. I really enjoy the main characters even when I have to suspend belief over their actions and just enjoy the ride.
Taueret
holy crap, these are HORRIBLE books. I can't stop reading them. It's like picking a scab. Someone help me!!
Miriam Smith
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"2nd Chance" by James Patterson is the second in the Women's Murder Club series. Having read and thoroughly enjoyed the first one (1st to Die) I had high expectations for this.
In the usual James Patterson style the story starts off with full on action and emotion and continues through the whole book at a fast pace, tension and twists abound with a final turn in the story I really hadn't thought of. Nice short chapters keep you reading 'just one more' until you realise you've nearly finished the
Rachel C.
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pop-fic-mystery
It looks like James Patterson has fobbed this series off on a "co-author." Disappointing.

The plot has almost exactly the same structure as "1st to Die," in the style of "We definitely have the killer! The case is airtight! Except... we don't have the killer and the case is full of holes."

Lt. Lindsay Boxer also suffers not one but TWO acute attacks of Lois Lane Syndrome and charges into dangerous situations with the sort of recklessness only a fictional character who obviously must survive to co
 Li'l Owl
First, to be clear, I need to say that this review is being written for the *Audio Book format*.

This is a high paced very enjoyable book with lots of drama, suspense, and plot twists. Plus my favorite four women characters that make up this the Women's Murder Club series.
There were a couple of things regarding prison procedure, evidence and a forensic improbability that caught my attention, but they are few and far between and they are pretty insignificant. It didn't make the book any less enj
Jerry B
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it
"5" for entertaining plot, "1" for stereotyping the women...

The "Women's Murder Club" is back from Patterson's (solo) "1st to Die" -- three professional women friends of our leading lady, San Francisco Homicide Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer. Except for no sex, this book is a cross between "Sex and the City" and John Sandford's "... Prey" series about detectives against serial killers. But unlike the TV show, neither Patterson nor co-author Andrew Gross seem to have a clue about how women think, act,
Diana
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
The Women’s Murder Club is back. This time they’re after a racially motivated serial killer. Lindsay once again is proving to be at the top of her game as lead detective on the case. That is, of course, with the help and support of her close friends, Jill, Claire and Cindy.

Quick, suspenseful read that I didn’t want to put down. I’m so glad I finally started this series that has been on my list for so long. Looking forward to book 3!
Elle's Book Blog
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this one was really good. The killer was very unexpected.
Jacquelyn
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-reads
This book is probably more of a 2.5/5 stars, but I’m rounding up because my maiden name is Patterson. If somehow, I’m distantly related to James, I want to stay in his good graces. 😉

So James, my dear and (most likely not) relative of mine, if you are reading this (which is a big fat nope), then stop reading here. Also you’ve missed out on 24 of my birthdays. 😉😅

Ok. I’m going to try to make this review short.

Honestly, I’m kind of disappointed. This book overwhelmed me with an intense feeling of “
Cary
Jun 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
I usually read James Patterson books as a guilty pleasure and quick read, interspersed between "good" reads. I tend to prefer the Alex Cross books, but I recently received the 3rd book in the Women's Murder Club series, and decided I should probably read the first two.

I'm kind of disappointed that I did, because I'm beginning to find these books tiresome and recycled, and even sort of irritating.

I really don't consider myself a book snob, and I can usually find some enjoyment in any book I fin
T.
Jul 15, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More namedropping ensues (the pastor reads Dave Egger's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and the protagonist is still listening to Sarah McLachlan). This is like Sex and the City, only the four women discuss murders instead of men over drinks. Oh wait, they do talk about men, too!

The story arc is almost identical to how the first book went down: there goes murder one, two, three and counting, then we finally had a suspect and wow we're chasing him down, we're finally getting leads afte
Helen
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I didn't like this book quite as much as the first in the series, mostly because the story seemed so similar. It was still fun with a quick pace and I like the characters. James Patterson can certainly write, I just didn't find this as good as the previous book.
Πάνος Τουρλής
Στο δεύτερο βιβλίο της σειράς με τη Γυναικεία Λέσχη Φόνων, ένας άγνωστος εκτελεστής, με το ψευδώνυμο «Χίμαιρα», αρχίζει να θερίζει με σφαίρες άγνωστους ανθρώπους, μεταξύ των οποίων και παιδιά. Τι το κοινό έχουν αυτοί οι στόχοι και ποιος θέλει να τους σκοτώσει; Πόσο προσωπική μπορεί να γίνει αυτή η υπόθεση για τη Λίνζι Μπόξερ και πώς θα καταφέρει να βρει τον ένοχο με τη βοήθεια των φιλενάδων της;

Κλασικός, αγαπημένος Patterson, κλασική αγαπημένη αστυνομική πλοκή. Με τις ανατροπές της, την κινηματο
Marisa Meiga
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
Segunda entrega del Club de las mujeres contra el crimen, en el que las cuatro integrantes del club, con la teniente Lindsay Boxer a la cabeza, intentan resolver un nuevo caso.
Igual que sucede en el primero, los capítulos son muy cortos, el lenguaje es sencillo, y la trama atrapa, así que se lee muy rápido y cuando te das cuenta ya has llegado al final del libro.
Candace
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, readers who enjoy strong positive female characters
Recommended to Candace by: my mother
Ivy
5 stars

Another very good book. Really enjoying this series. RIP Chief Mercer. Cool that Lindsay Boxer became a Lieutenant. Nice to see the Women's Murder Club again. Glad we got to see Marty Boxer for a little bit. Case was weird and somewhat scary. Poor people who died. Hope Cindy and Aaron Winslow will stay together for a long time.

Can't wait to read 3rd Degree!!!!
Kellee
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only my 2nd book by Patterson, but I am now a huge fan. I usually don't LOL when reading books. It takes a lot for me to get to that point, but I did towards the end. Not to mention, I just couldn't put it down. I think Patterson knows what he is doing by having such short chapters. It makes it so much easier to continue reading the book.
Marleen
15 years ago I read this book for the first time. I didn't write reviews then. I do now. I remember giving this book a high rating. Now, so many years later, I still think it's a better story than book 1. The motivation behind the killing spree is more rooted in a credible vendetta; and it's more than just a random psycho-killer on the loose. When one of the victims is the African-American chief of police, Earl Mercer, the homicide team become more certain that the killings are related to the SF ...more
Erth
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once again James Patterson & Andrew Gross combine to engage the reader with another page turning thriller. Lt. Lindsey Boxer and her Women's Murder Club cohorts, Clare, Cindy and Jill are drawn together to solve a case involving a sharp shooter who's terrorizing the city. The twists & complications in this case are typical Patterson intrigue but with a fascinatingly surprise conclusion. Anyone who has enjoyed this series will find this as worthy as the previous installments.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, own
Aaron
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay, Cindy, Claire, and Jill are back for the second outing as the Women's Murder Club, and this time the murderer is going to hit them right at home.

Lindsay has recovered from the shock of losing her love at the end of the previous book and finds herself in a new role. She is now the Lieutenant in charge of Homicide, thanks to the prestige of bringing an end to the bride and groom murderer. Her next nemesis might even be considered even more evil.

His work starts on the grounds of a local ch
Teena in Toronto
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
After choir practice as the children are leaving, a gunman open fires on them, killing a young black girl and Lindsay investigates. It seems like a random act until Cindy, Lindsay's friend and another member of the Women's Murder Club, tells Lindsay that the hanging of an older black woman and the killing of the girl may be related. There is the same symbol at both deaths plus both have a connection to police officers. Then there are more shootings ... one hits its mark killing the person and ot ...more
Michael
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
James Patterson's second installment of his Women's Murder Club series is a fast pased but ultimately unsatisfying read. The central mystery is an intriguing one--a killer is targeting police officers and those connected to police officers who are connected to a mysterious series of events that took place years ago.

It's an idea that has merit and has been done better in other mystery stories--most notably anything by Elizabeth George.

The mystery has twists and turns, most of them fairly laughabl
Don Voorhees
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
2nd Chance reconvenes the Women's Murder Club, four friends (a detective, a reporter, an assistant district attorney, and a medical examiner) who used their networking skills, feminine intuition, and professional wiles to solve a baffling series of murders in 1st to Die. This time, the murders of two African Americans, a little girl and an old woman, bear all the signs of a serial killer for Lindsay Boxer, newly promoted to lieutenant of San Francisco's homicide squad. But there's an odd detail ...more
Bill Tillman
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, mystery
The sensational killings that have rocked San Francisco appear to be unrelated except in their brutality. But detective Lindsay Boxer senses there's some thread connecting them all. She calls her friends in the Women's Murder Club together to see if they can discover what it is. Surely some clue has been overlooked by their bosses and male colleagues. Working with Chronicle reporter Cindy Thomas, Assistant District Attorney Jill Bernhardt, and medical examiner Claire Washburn, Lindsay discovers ...more
Kay
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zread-in-2016
Freda Malone
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm all for the 'unconventional' way of doing some things, but having a murder club consist of 4 women just doesn't appeal to me. However, I'm reading this series because it IS so unconventional. Getting to know these women is fun. Each with their own problems, they also show strength with each other and if it works, then go for it.

More to follow.
Brandy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE The Women's Murder Club Series! Even more every time I reread them.
Jenn
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
excellent read!!! Alot of suspense!!! just when you thought it was solved it actually isnt!! love this series!!!
  • Black Notice (Kay Scarpetta, #10)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)
  • Lady Killer (Rosato & Associates, #10)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • On the Street Where You Live
  • The Blue Zone
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Women's Murder Club (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • 3rd Degree (Women's Murder Club, #3)
  • 4th of July (Women's Murder Club, #4)
  • The 5th Horseman (Women's Murder Club, #5)
  • The 6th Target (Women's Murder Club, #6)
  • 7th Heaven (Women's Murder Club, #7)
  • The 8th Confession (Women's Murder Club, #8)
  • The 9th Judgment  (Women's Murder Club, #9)
  • 10th Anniversary (Women's Murder Club, #10)
  • 11th Hour (Women's Murder Club, #11)
“some being attended to by EMS teams. “Oh, Jesus,” I whispered under my breath. I spotted medical techs in black windbreakers huddled over the body of a young girl by the front steps. A couple of plainclothesmen were nearby. One of them was my” 1 likes
“Claire had a look on her face that I had learned to recognize. You wouldn’t call it smugness or self-importance; Claire didn’t run that way. It was more of a twinkle that read, I found something. Or more like, Sometimes I even amaze myself.” 0 likes