HRC Ravenclaw Common Room discussion

Passing of the Conch > The Passing of the Conch!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Salli (new)

Salli Thompson (sallift) | 72 comments Mod
As the bearer of the conch shell for December 2015, I nominate Hannah Summerfelt to be the bearer for January 2016 and choose a book for us to read. Let me know if you accept the challenge

message 2: by Devin (new)

Devin Waddell Babcock | 115 comments Mod
I didn't even think to post the passing of the conch here on Goodreads, good thinking!

message 3: by Devin (new)

For those just joining the group! :) An explanation of the conch:

Ok everyone! We received a decent response in wanting our own RAVENCLAW book club, so I figured I would take the initiative (:

Here's what I have in mind: I'm thinking the best way to do this is kind of like "Lord of the Flies"- except when you have the shell, it's not for the right to talk, but for the privilege of choosing the month's book.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 21 comments January's book: The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury. I pass the conch next to Marta Youngblood to choose February's book.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Dee | 9 comments great choice! love Bradbury.

message 6: by Marta (new)

Marta Youngblood | 9 comments It occurred to me that I might need to give you all a head start on getting your hands on a copy of February's book. The book is...(drumroll)

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander and J.K. Rowling

Because we can all use a refresher before the movie comes out don't you think.

If you don't own a copy already there are a few available at this vendor

http://www.acadymix.com/collections/f...

You have to buy the Hogwarts Library Box set to get FBAWTFT but the money goes to charity which just makes sense when you consider who we are and the #somuchgood we do

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Lundell | 24 comments I almost bought the book the other day at B&N with one of my Christmas gift cards. Looks like I will be heading back to get it!

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris (minos157) If you're a person who worries about spending money even if for charity, always check your library.

My library has almost 40 copies of this in the system of libraries that inter loan.

message 9: by Marta (new)

Marta Youngblood | 9 comments And don't forget the Pottermore store. https://shop.pottermore.com/en_GB/boo...

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg Thanks Marta for passing the conch to me for March 2016! I am glad I have time to think about what book would be fun to read for the group. The only thing I know for the book is that I would like it to be a female author since March is Women's History Month. I'll keep you guys posted on what I'm thinking and maybe even leave some riddles for you to guess.

message 11: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (virginiap) I'm excited about February's choice-- a book I've not read, but want to! I haven't joined in for the last two books, but this one grabbed my attention and I actually think I have time to read it! :)

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg Ok I thought it would be fun to drop a few clues about the book for March. I have already said that I would like a female author to commemorate Women's History Month in March so here are the clues...
1) Female author.
2) Awarded a not old medal.
3) Prism of a die.

Happy guessing!

message 13: by Salli (new)

Oooo... Riddles...

message 14: by Salli (new)

Aw man, nothing. I need another clue. I did find a million books I want to read though.

message 15: by Chris (last edited Feb 05, 2016 05:26AM) (new)

Chris (minos157) prism of a die searches bring up literally nothing aside from an openware program...

So many female award winners in books so yeah...

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg Additional Clues
4) Crows tend to stand on them
5) Clocks measure this

Hope this helps :-)

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess McConville | 10 comments Mod
I suspect the "not old" medal is the Newbery. Clocks measure time? I keep coming back to A Wrinkle In Time, but I don't know how the crow would come in to play. Clocks also measure minutes, seconds, hours.... Not sure of Prism of a Die.

Man I'm not good at riddles when I'm tired!

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris (minos157) Hmm...Tesseract, which is in Wrinkle in Time, is sometimes called a Cubic Prism. So that fits...unsure about the crow still since I've never read the book.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg You guys are awesome! Yes the book for March 2016 is A Wrinkle in Time!
Here are the answers for the clues...
1) Female Author: Madeleine L'Engle
2) Award: Newbery Medal
3) Prism of a die: Cubic prism is another word for tesseract
4) Crows usually stand on them: that would be feet and another word for crows feet is Wrinkle
5) clocks measure this: Time

Thought I'd give you guys time to obtain the book before March. I'm positive it would be at the library in case you don't want to buy it. I personally haven't read this book but it's one that's been on my list for a while. Hope everyone is looking forward to it as much as I am!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Fragale Woo hoo! I'm excited. One I started a few times as a kid but was never the right time for me...

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris (minos157) I'm happy about this as well, it's always been on my list and I just never get around to reading it!

message 22: by Devin (new)

Ah!!! This makes me SO HAPPY

message 23: by Salli (new)

Bahahaha!!! I was going to guess A Wrinkle in Time but thought "nahhhh". Always go with your gut, right? I'm excited to read this because I never finished it in the 8th grade and would love to read it

message 24: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) | 20 comments Great! I've put my name on the wait list - only one person in front of me. Yay!

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Spada-allgood | 12 comments I've been so crazy busy that I haven't been able to participate in the last couple, but Wrinkle in Time is one of my absolute, all-time favorites! Yay!

message 26: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Bliss (blisser99) I can't wait!

message 27: by Jess (new)

Jess McConville | 10 comments Mod
Ahhh I can't believe I was right!! Great riddle. I've never read it either, looking forward to it!

message 28: by Marta (new)

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg Marta wrote: "Guess what I just saw! http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowanda..."

That makes me so excited! I've never read the book but I feel like I like books more when they are made into movies. Its a weird thing where I subconsciously think they might be better because they are made into movies.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (minos157) Marta wrote: "Guess what I just saw! http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowanda..."

Had to IMDB her, because I couldn't place my finger on why her name was familiar.

Selma! Great movie, excited for her to direct more works!

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg Since March is tomorrow and we start A Wrinkle In Time, it is my turn to pass the conch so the next person has ample time to figure out what to read next. I pass the conch to...

Chris Damm

Have fun :-D

message 32: by Chris (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:25AM) (new)

Chris (minos157) There was a small mix up last week, kind of figured this was coming.

I have a most "devious" idea for picking the next book, I will return later with details ::insert evil laugh::

I totally just shouted "the conch is mine!" after reading this. Thanks Amanda :-)

message 33: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 22 comments Chris wrote: "There was a small mix up last week, kind of figured this was coming.

I have a most "devious" idea for picking the next book, I will return later with details ::insert evil laugh::

I totally just ..."

Love it! Can't wait to see what devious method you hatch :)

message 34: by Chris (last edited Mar 01, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Chris (minos157) Ok, so hopefully I didn't get anyone's hopes too high for some evil book picking plan, because I'm not a good villain in the end.

What I AM going to do is use my book jar to pick the book for April, so we get a "surprise" book. Here is what I want to do. I want to open my jar to people here as well, so I am going to give everyone until March 10th to offer up books they want added to the jar (In addition to things I already have in there). Then on the tenth I will draw a book out and that's what we will read. I figure on March 10th because that still gives plenty of time to procure said book.

Some things I will add here as "rules" for myself, these rules being books I will set aside if I pull them out of the jar:

1) I have many series in my jar, some I am in the middle of (Including Potter). I will not use these selections unless it is ok to read the books out of order (Say James Patterson).

2) I will set aside books that are a bit out of genre for this book club (50 Shades is in there for example) or a history book on World War II planes for another example.

3) I will make a judgment call if I pick a lengthy book like War and Peace.

Ok so that is it, as I said, not really devious because I'm a terrible evil villain :-)

One last edit, everything on my "To Read" list on Goodreads is in the jar, but I don't put every book in by the Author. What I mean is that I don't put all of Stephen King's books in separately, I just put a paper that says "Stephen King" and when I pull it I read the next book in his bibliography and set the paper back in the jar. I believe my profile is public, I will make sure it is so you can get an idea of what may come out of the jar.

Ok seriously last edit: If we don't want to burden this thread can an admin make a "book jar thread" for this or something?

message 35: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mwg25) | 40 comments Hi! I am new here (both to this book club and to Goodreads in general), and super excited to reread one of my old favorites!

Two questions:

1) what is the criteria for selecting the next conch recipient? Are all of you guys already BFFs or have some system in place?
2) Chris, if we want to add titles to the book jar, what's the best way to do that - can you take a PM?

Thanks! I'm glad to be here.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris (minos157) pm, post in this thread, or fb are all good choices

message 37: by Devin (new)

Hi Marissa! I think I will have to answer your question in the common room on FB- which could be a good thing, I'm sure you're not the only one wondering (:

message 38: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) | 20 comments I thought next month's book was announced.

message 39: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Bliss (blisser99) It was announced. It is Memoirs of a Geisha

message 40: by Devin (new)

Hi Chris! I was wondering if you had chosen someone for the responsibility of the conch for the month of May?

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris (minos157) Oops! No I didn't. Can the admins pick someone? I'm not up on who is active, in the club, etc.

message 42: by Devin (new)

Marisa, would you be interested in the responsibility of the conch for the month of May?

message 43: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Lundell | 24 comments Kristina wrote: "It was announced. It is Memoirs of a Geisha"

The selling of a girl's virginity (cause childhood rape is always a great work of art) and a lot of misunderstood culture references (friend's in Japan read this and said he had so many facts wrong he may have just made them up) makes this a big no for me. I will not be joining in April. hopefully, someone will pick something better for the month of May.

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Myhrberg I've never read Memoirs of a Geisha, but I am interested. I know it might be a controversial book and I think that the controversy will lead to some educational discussion. Especially on the topics of cultural appropriation and the counter point to this book which is the book Geisha, A Life.

message 45: by Devin (new)

I agree Amanda. It's okay to not want to participate, especially when a subject feels sensitive to you personally. Please remember that you can obtain the book from a library, so it wouldn't be financially supporting the author. Sometimes, it is better to come to a discussion with an open mind, and not with charged emotions. There's no need to make the conch bearer feel attacked. I understand and will forgive it this once, but I won't tolerate it here. This is the very reason I left the common room on FB. This is a safe place for discussions and for ALL opinions. Let's just stay respectful of that, please. (:

message 46: by Chris (last edited Mar 21, 2016 11:10AM) (new)

Chris (minos157) I just deleted my original reply. I'm not stooping to the negativity here.

I don't care about the jab at me, no skin off my back, but I would join to severely warn the members here to be careful in the way you word things towards the choices of our conch bearers. I will most certainly care if future conch bearers feel "forced" into choosing different books for fear of retribution from the group.

The book I chose (At random from a jar) is a very famous work and is extremely appropriate to the current discussion surrounding cultural appropriation, due to recent releases by our beloved JK Rowling. The book is currently 19 years old (ugh right?) and it is still a recognizable title. That deserves a bit of credit in the land of novels.

I've only seen the movie, and I loved it and the themes it portrayed (romance, women being empowered through art, triumph due to hard past, etc.). Hopefully these themes are present in the book as well. I am one to not care about disconnects from truth in order to make good fiction, even if it is a historical fiction, so the definite plot devices that were in the movie for western culture (Sexuality in the dancing) don't bother me personally.

I for one can't wait for the discussion here.

message 47: by Devin (new)

Is there someone that can tag Marisa in the common room? I'm thinking she probably doesn't get notifications from Goodreads

message 48: by Devin (new)

Is there someone that can tag Marisa in the common room? I'm thinking she probably doesn't get notifications from Goodreads

message 49: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mwg25) | 40 comments OH. No I don't. Wow.

Thanks, guys!! I accept! :-D

message 50: by Salli (new)

I'm excited to see what's next! I actually felt like the Book of Lost Things was much darker than Memoirs of a Geisha. I'm sure it did have a lot of inaccuracy. I just read 'If I Stay' and it takes place in modern-day Oregon and it had a bunch of inaccuracies

« previous 1 3