Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

121 views
2016 Settings Challenge > Historical Mysteries Settings Challenge (2016) - Rules and Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Oct 06, 2016 04:47AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Historical Mysteries Settings Challenge (2016)

The purpose of this challenge is to broaden our reading horizons to include mysteries written in historical settings that are both familiar and new.

GENERAL RULES:
Participants may join at any time during the challenge. The challenge will last from January 1st until December 31st, 2016.

1) Definition of historical mystery for this challenge: Any book whose central plot involves a crime of any type (murder, robbery, espionage, etc.) and takes place at any point that is at least 50 years in the past. This includes works set in a time period that is historical from the author’s perspective (for example, The Cadfael Chronicles by Ellis Peters) as well as books written in the past from our perspective and set during the author’s lifetime (for example, Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie).
2) Setting is determined as 50% of the book taking place in the required time or place.
3) Categories can be completed in any order
4) Re-reads and audiobooks are acceptable
5) All books begun on January 1st count toward the challenge
6) A challenge folder has been set up with a tracking thread in which each participant can start their own post to track their reading.
7) The challenge folder will also contain a readerboard for individual progress. Please DO NOT DELETE your post at any point even if you decide to leave the challenge as I will be tracking progress by post number.
8) There will also be a challenge discussion thread where people can post what they are reading and comment on other members reading.

LEVELS & CATEGORIES:
Each participant should choose a level and complete the number of categories for that level.

LEVELS:

Level #1: Bachelor of History - 3 to 10 books in at least 3 categories
Level #2: Master of History - 10 to 15 books in at least 5 categories
Level #3: Doctor of History - 15 to 20 books in at least 10 categories
Level #4: History with Honors - 20+ books in all categories

CATEGORIES:

- Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Greece
- Roman Empire
- Early Japan
- Shogunate Japan
- Medieval England
- Medieval Europe
- Tudor / Stuart England
- 16th-17th Century Europe
- Georgian England
- Regency England
- Victorian England
- Edwardian England
- Colonial America
- Antebellum America
- American Civil War
- Gilded Age America
- 19th Century Europe
- Early 20th Century

*Please ask any questions on about the challenge in this thread*


message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Questions and Answers


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

For clarity, does '3 to 10 books in at least 3 categories' mean 3-10 books in each of those categories, or 3-10 books total from any three categories?


message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Paisley wrote: "For clarity, does '3 to 10 books in at least 3 categories' mean 3-10 books in each of those categories, or 3-10 books total from any three categories?"

3-10 books total from any three categories.


message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Can we advance a level if we complete the one we originally started out with? So, for example, if we choose the Bachelors level and meet it can we then decide to try the Masters level?


message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Can we advance a level if we complete the one we originally started out with? So, for example, if we choose the Bachelors level and meet it can we then decide to try the Masters level?"

Absolutely.


message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline | 65 comments I see you don't have ancient Greece listed as one of the categories. Gary Corby has written a really good series of mysteries set during the time of Pericles.
The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1) by Gary Corby The Ionia Sanction by Gary Corby Sacred Games by Gary Corby The Marathon Conspiracy by Gary Corby Death Ex Machina by Gary Corby The Singer from Memphis by Gary Corby


message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 72 comments This sounds like a lot of fun. How will I access my individual readerboard? Also, do I need to list the categories I will read from at this time?


message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Vicki wrote: "I see you don't have ancient Greece listed as one of the categories. Gary Corby has written a really good series of mysteries set during the time of Pericles.
[bookcover:The Pericl..."


Thanks Vicki. I will add Ancient Greece to the list


message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "This sounds like a lot of fun. How will I access my individual readerboard? Also, do I need to list the categories I will read from at this time?"

You can create a post in the Participants thread to track your reading. I will keep track of everyone's progress in the Readerboard

You do not have to post your entire list all at once. You can decide as you go and update your post.


message 11: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 262 comments Could we get a category for 19th century Europe in general? I've read quite a few series that take place in that time period that are in countries other than England (Frank Tallis, Michael Gregorio, etc.)


message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Meghan wrote: "Could we get a category for 19th century Europe in general? I've read quite a few series that take place in that time period that are in countries other than England (Frank Tallis, Michael Gregorio..."

Added!


message 13: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 12 comments What category does the Amelia Peabody Series fall under?


message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Jadetyger wrote: "What category does the Amelia Peabody Series fall under?"

That's a really good question.
Although it takes place mainly in Egypt, the characters are Victorian. So I'm going to say Victorian England.


message 15: by Veronica (last edited Dec 29, 2015 10:13AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Just for clarification, what is considered "early 20th century"? I have a book in mind that is set in the early 1930s but I'm not sure if that is early enough.

Also, for this part of the instructions: "Please UPDATE your existing post with any changes throughout the challenge and create an update post with a link back to your original post."

How do I link back to my original post?


message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
1930s would count as early 20th century. The idea is that the book should be set at least 50 years in the past.

At the top of every post is a time stamp. Right click on the time stamp of your original post and copy the link.

Paste the link in a new post. This is how you link posts.


message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Great, thanks! I've never known how people do that. :-)


message 18: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 249 comments A book set during Mary I of England's reign? Elizabethan England or Medieval England? I don't really think the setting falls into either of those categories. Just wondering what you think.


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

To follow up on Gretchen's question, would I put the Stuart line in Elizabethan, Georgian (kind of span both including the Dissolution/Restoration), or European Renaissance?


message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Technically Mary I belongs to the Tudor period and the Stuarts belong to the Stuart period sometimes also known as the Jacobite period. For the purposes of our challenge, you can include them in the Elizabethan period - in fact, I will change the name in the description.


message 21: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 249 comments Lauren wrote: "Technically Mary I belongs to the Tudor period and the Stuarts belong to the Stuart period sometimes also known as the Jacobite period. For the purposes of our challenge, you can include them in th..."

Thanks. I had a hard time putting Mary I in Medieval England and I didn't think she would appreciate being labeled Elizabethan ;)


message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Gretchen wrote: "I didn't think she would appreciate being labeled Elizabethan ;) "

No, she definitely would not! Lol!


message 23: by Benjamin L (new)

Benjamin L | 50 comments While tweaking, can we change "Guilded Age America" to Gilded?


message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Benjamin wrote: "While tweaking, can we change "Guilded Age America" to Gilded?"

Done


message 25: by Denise (new)

Denise | 52 comments Hi Lauren,

Is it too late to join in and may I count books read since January 1, 2016?


message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
It's never too late, Denise and you can back date your thread to include books read from Jan 1st.


message 27: by Denise (new)

Denise | 52 comments I am reading a book, Seneca Falls Inheritance, which takes place in the U.S. in 1848. This doesn't seem to fall into any category. Too late for Colonial, too early for Civil War.

Help?


message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Denise wrote: "I am reading a book, Seneca Falls Inheritance, which takes place in the U.S. in 1848. This doesn't seem to fall into any category. Too late for Colonial, too early for Civil War.

Help?"


The time period is Antebellum America. I will add it as a category to the list.


message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise | 52 comments Lauren wrote: "Denise wrote: "I am reading a book, Seneca Falls Inheritance, which takes place in the U.S. in 1848. This doesn't seem to fall into any category. Too late for Colonial, too early for C..."

Thank you Lauren!


message 30: by Viji (new)

Viji | 213 comments Which period category will The Sheen on the Silk by Anne Perry fall? It is a mystery set in Constantinople (Byzantine Empire - 1270) based on the struggle not to succumb to the pressure to unite the Orthodox Church with the Roman Catholic Church.


message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Viji wrote: "Which period category will The Sheen on the Silk by Anne Perry fall? It is a mystery set in Constantinople (Byzantine Empire - 1270) based on the struggle not to succumb to the pressure to un..."

The category it fits the most is Medieval Europe.


message 32: by Viji (new)

Viji | 213 comments Thanks, Lauren.


message 33: by Viji (new)

Viji | 213 comments Will The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1) by Tom Harper by Tom Harper qualify for this challenge? If so, under which category this will fall under (A.D. 1096)?


message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Viji wrote: "Will The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1) by Tom Harper by Tom Harper qualify for this challenge? If so, under which category this will fall under (A.D. 1096)?"

Also Medieval Europe. The middle ages span from the 5th to the 15th century AD.


message 35: by Viji (new)

Viji | 213 comments Thanks, Lauren. I will note down the middle ages span.

I love Historical Mysteries but only now I am learning to categorize them. As Byzantium is centres between West and East, I am a bit confused. Most of the categories, I am able to identify but I have to find out the periods for -
- Edwardian England
- Colonial America
- Antebellum America
- American Civil War
- Gilded Age America


message 36: by Veronica (last edited Apr 29, 2016 09:08AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments I just googled them (my specific categories) and wrote down whatever Wikipedia said. :-)


message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "I just googled them (my specific categories) and wrote down whatever Wikipedia said. :-)"

That's what I did too. Love the Wikipedia!


message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 90 comments I checked Wikipedia first, but am unable to determine/guess where Early Japan and Shogunate Japan begin and end. Help!

Also, in terms of the early 20th century category, can that selection take place anywhere around the globe, and at what year does "early" end?

Thanks!


message 39: by happy (last edited May 04, 2016 03:25PM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 147 comments The what is known as the Shoganate normally refers to the Tokogawa Shogunate. (this is the period of James Clavell's novel Shōgun). It normally dated from 1603 to 1867. It start when the Tokogawa's seize control of the gov't from the exisiting Shogun. It ends when the Emperor Meiji takes control of the gov't from the Shogun and became both the head of state and the head of Gov't.

However Shoguns were around from the late 1100s


message 40: by Veronica (last edited May 05, 2016 06:54AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Carol wrote: "Also, in terms of the early 20th century category, can that selection take pl..."

I asked this question myself and here is Lauren's answer (I was asking about a book set in early 1930s):

"1930s would count as early 20th century. The idea is that the book should be set at least 50 years in the past. "

I would imagine that anywhere in the world would count but Lauren will let you know for sure.


message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Thanks for answering happy and Veronica (work is the bane of my existence, lol!)

Yes, early 20th century can be set anywhere in the world.


message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 90 comments Veronica wrote: "Carol wrote: "Also, in terms of the early 20th century category, can that selection take pl..."

I asked this question myself and here is Lauren's answer (I was asking about a book set in early 193..."


Thank you!


message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Do the books we read for the Featured Author thread count?


message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Do the books we read for the Featured Author thread count?"

Yes. Absolutely!


message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Thanks, Lauren. I was pretty sure they did but I had a sudden moment of doubt. :-)


message 46: by Nick (new)

Nick | 66 comments On that topic then, anyone have any ideas where they would file the current BoTM, The Killing Way.

It appears to be Arthurian, so Britain is the likely setting, however the traditional time-period for Arthurian stories is dark-ages Britain, rather than Medieval Britain, which I don't think is one of our categories.


message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
The Historical King Arthur is from the Dark Ages, but the literary King Arthur is from Medieval times. As The Killing Way books contains tropes that originate with Sir Thomas Mallory (Merlin, Morgan Le Fay, etc.), you can classify it as Medieval for the purposes of the challenge.


message 48: by Nick (new)

Nick | 66 comments Really? I always assumed the literary, Mallory, version was dark ages too. I've been listening to an audio version of Malory on and off for a while now and it's always felt very early-feudal, ruling chiefs sort of setting.


message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Nick wrote: "Really? I always assumed the literary, Mallory, version was dark ages too. I've been listening to an audio version of Malory on and off for a while now and it's always felt very early-feudal, rulin..."

Nope. No castles, broad swords, knights in shining armor or any of the other Medieval trappings in the 5th or 6th centuries.


message 50: by Nick (new)

Nick | 66 comments True enough I suppose... I guess i'm too used to reading about the Pendragon rpg.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/1...

In the great Pendragon Campaign, they are running from about 485 onwards, covering the whole time from Uther's conquests to the death of Arthur.

Malory is one of the key sources for the work, so the whole thing is very much a blend of actual time periods and malloric fantasy... I guess I always thought of Arthurian stories as a Dark Ages as fantasised by Malory :)


« previous 1
back to top