Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (last edited Apr 13, 2014 08:49PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8760 comments Mod
A day early whilst I remember it!! Cuz I'm betting that I would probably forget tomorrow, ha ha ha

May:

Letter: I

Shelves:

1. all-time-favourites
2. keepers
3. plays
4. picture-book
5. american-literature
6. biographies
7. made-me-cry
8. epic
9. steampunk
10. sociology
11. crime-fiction
12. humorous

Categories:

a. Number of Pages: 201-300
b. Cover is primarily dark colours (black, brown, dark blue etc) Think: Gloomy
c. Added to your to-read shelf after 31 December 2012*
d. Multiple POVs(more than 2)
e. Multiple Authors (can be 2 -co-authors, OR many -for anthologies, etc)
f. Main Character (90% of book): Female
g. An average rating of more than 3.5 stars
h. Number of Pages: 100-200
i. Number of Pages: 301-400
j. Alternating POVs (2 only)
k. Published in: 2000 - 2009
l. Male Authors

*if you don’t maintain a to-read shelf of GR (as I know some of you don’t), here’s an alternative:

c. Books purchased / received since Christmas 2012

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments Oh my goodness! When I woke up and saw 4 notifications that people have updated their own pages on my phone and I jumped up, I was so excited! "It's gotta be up!" :) :-P I felt like a kid at Christmas. I'm laughing at myself right now. Thanks for the day early post ;)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments "in" counts right? Just not a, an, the

message 4: by Tien (new)

yep "in" counts

and you're welcome

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments Thank you! Do translators count as a second author?

message 6: by Tien (new)

No I don't think of translator as Co-authors. ..

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments I figured that was stretching it. ;) I chose the book by Jon Stewart... I think America (the book), which has John Oliver as a contributor. That work?

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3478 comments Mod
For plays, if there's a you-tube video of someone reading it, would that work? I know we count audio books, and this seems pretty close to that. And it's a dramatic monologue, with not staging or anything, so it's not like watching a movie adaptation. Just reading the author's words.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Also, for multiple authors -- what about children's books, which list author and illustrator?

message 10: by Susan (new)

Has anyone read The Invention of Wings? I found it on a multiple POV's list, and was wondering whether it has two or more than two.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "I figured that was stretching it. ;) I chose the book by Jon Stewart... I think America (the book), which has John Oliver as a contributor. That work?"

I am presuming that he contributes to the writing and not the art or such?

Susan wrote: "For plays, if there's a you-tube video of someone reading it, would that work? I know we count audio books, and this seems pretty close to that. And it's a dramatic monologue, with not staging or a..."

I would think that because YouTube has the video, it would be more like watching a movie than listening to an audio book. So from that perspective I would say that it would not count.

Susan wrote: "Also, for multiple authors -- what about children's books, which list author and illustrator?"

for most cases, I would say that the illustrator does not count as an author. The only exception that I would see is in the case of picture books for VERY SMALL children, where the pictures tell as much of the story as the words. In the case of regular children's books, like Little House on the Prairie , that include illustrations, I would say no, even if the illustrator is listed on the book.

Susan wrote: "Has anyone read The Invention of Wings? I found it on a multiple POV's list, and was wondering whether it has two or more than two."

I haven't read that one yet, Susan. Hopefully someone has.

message 15: by Susan (new)

readinghearts (Lyn M) wrote: for most cases, I would say that the illustrator does not count as an author. The only exception that I would see is in the case of picture books for VERY SMALL children, where the pictures tell as much of the story as the words."

Thanks, Lyn. What you described is exactly what I was looking at: The House in the Night by Susan Marie Swanson and Beth Krommes. It's a great little bedtime book, by the way.

message 16: by Christina's Book (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments Lyn, I think so?? The book is on it's way to me so I will find out soon

Christina wrote: "Lyn, I think so?? The book is on it's way to me so I will find out soon"

As long as his contribution is too the writing, it would count

message 18: by Christina's Book (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments Ok thanks! I'm sure it is. I think John Oliver usually has his own little section of the Daily Show too, so I'm guessing it will similar.

Christina, My son actually has that book, but I have never looked at it, lol. Otherwise I would know more. But I think you are right, I think he does some of the writing.

message 20: by Christina's Book (new)

Christina's Book Chronicles (christinasbookchronicles) | 239 comments Fingers crossed ;)

message 21: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1672 comments If anyone is looking for k. (2 POVs), I found The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney on the crime-fiction shelf fits this category. I don't know about the rest of you, but this category is always the hardest for me to find.

Thanks for the recommendation, Lynn. :)