Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

The Dreaming Void
This topic is about The Dreaming Void
Monthly Read: Member Picks > The Dreaming Void-Dan's Pick

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
It's Dan's turn this month, and the poll winner is Dreaming Void by Peter Hamilton
What did you think?

message 2: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 1276 comments Mod
I hope people like this one! I quite enjoyed it.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (froissant) | 29 comments I liked this one, but as with Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained, you must read the rest of the trilogy to get a sense of closing :)

Edward (iamedterry) Have to agree with Anthony. I enjoyed the Void series overall, this and the last being the better of the three. This was my first Hamilton book having read a number of Iain M Banks previously and I was not disappointed, though it did feel a little slow at times. Overall, a good book with some great ideas.

message 5: by Scott (last edited Dec 07, 2015 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott I read this a few years ago and didn't care for it, though some of the ideas were interesting. To be honest, I felt kind of lost. Though it's the first book in a trilogy, it references a larger universe that's been written about in other books of his.

Fortunately I decided to give him another chance and I really liked Pandora's Star. Not sure if I'll come back to these eventually.

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 265 comments I read the entire series and thought it got worse as it went along. I liked the Science Fiction parts, but the whole dreaming void thing just ended up feeling like Hamilton wanted to write a fairly standard fantasy tale but didn't want to jump genres.

To me the blending of those two elements felt forced and unconvincing (no matter how well he ultimately justified it scientifically).

message 7: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 1276 comments Mod
I loved the high fantasy elements! my favorite parts of the novel, actually - so if anything, the series improved for me because the third novel is so dominated by the fantasy sequences.

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 265 comments That's the thing: if you like High Fantasy as well as complex high tech SF, then this series is definitely for you. If you're not into High Fantasy, you will be disappointed like I was.

Scott That's probably why I didn't like it. Plus I hate reading dream sequences in general.

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan | 350 comments I am trying to read this book, but finding it immensely difficult to track the characters and their motivations.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments You can't really enjoy Void series if you've not read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. I liked the series and I liked the fantasy, especially in the first book of the series.