Start by marking “The Dreaming Void” as Want to Read:
The Dreaming Void

The Dreaming Void

(Void #1)

The year is 3589, fifteen hundred years after Commonwealth forces barely staved off human extinction in a war against the alien Prime. Now an even greater danger has surfaced: a threat to the existence of the universe itself.
At the very heart of the galaxy is the Void, a self-contained microuniverse that cannot be breached, cannot be destroyed, and cannot be stopped as it
Published March 25th 2008 by Del Rey (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreaming Void, please sign up.
James I agree with dpcinh, i would advise yes so you have a better understanding of characters that are repeatedly revered to. Also they are the start of…moreI agree with dpcinh, i would advise yes so you have a better understanding of characters that are repeatedly revered to. Also they are the start of the whole series. (less)
thefourthvine No. The closest are Paula Myo and Justine Burnelli. Both are minor characters in this book, especially Justine. Myo is ruthless, but dedicated to her…moreNo. The closest are Paula Myo and Justine Burnelli. Both are minor characters in this book, especially Justine. Myo is ruthless, but dedicated to her self-assigned task and principled; she's not exactly sympathetic, but she is quite competent. Burnelli gets very little page time, so it's hard to tell if she's competent. She's not really around enough to be sympathetic.

The main female characters are Corrie-Lyn (spends most of her time screaming or sulking while being dragged around by Standard Hamilton Superkiller) and Araminta (her main role is a spoiler, but she's essentially a plot device, though she's not unsympathetic). (less)

Apatt
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The last time I read a book by Peter F. Hamilton was around mid-April 2014, as I write it is the 2nd of April 2015, almost a year in between. The book was The Naked God, 1268 pages of eye watering mayhem. What that useless factoid means is that his books are so damn long that after I finish a series by him I tend to feel the need to take a year’s break. What it also indicates is that after a while I always come back for more of his long winded adventures. Having said that The Dreaming Void is a ...more
Bradley
I've come to the conclusion that Peter F. Hamilton is an acquired taste. Maybe it just requires patience and getting used to his often HUGE PAGE COUNTS. Most of it is devoted to establishing his characters and their backstories, so it's not a huge complaint. Where he shines is his vast SF worldbuilding which takes on a very complex and rich character rarely seen in ANY series.

We're dealing with 20 or 30 thousand pages of the same universe across vast distances, worlds, and timeframes. And not o
David Sven
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Too many characters, too many factions and factions within factions, mind boggling technology, and what else is one to expect from Peter F Hamilton. Well, maybe we should add in some very cool action sequences with bionic weaponry blasting everything to slag, some returning characters from the Commonwealth Saga like Paula Myo, Gore and Justine Buirnelli, Sheldon, Oscar Monroe - Yes, we are back in the same Universe some thousand years after the Starflyer war, and just when I thought I had a hand ...more
Gary
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book starts with a great plot and moves along nicely until around the halfway mark. The trilogy, of which this book is the first, is actually a continuation of the story begun in Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. This time the mystery sealed in space is hinted at by the dreams of two people. A large religious group has decided to set forth in a mass journey to the sealed area of space, but any penetration of it has, in the past, caused the Void to begin to destroy everything around itself ...more
Joshua
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book (and indeed, the entire series) is trite fluff, and it contains almost no interesting ideas that weren't directly borrowed from much better books. The author's prose is both verbose and insipid, though he does setup some amusing situations. The principal distinctive characteristic of the author for this series is his profound laziness with respect to his story development. Many pages are used to describe characters, who then act contrary to their development when convenient to advance ...more
Stuart
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Dreaming Void: Good Start to a Follow-Up Trilogy in the Commonwealth Universe
Much like the Commonwealth Saga, this is a very long, detailed, imaginative, and sprawling epic space opera that involves dozens of characters, plots, advanced technologies, alien races, ancient galactic mysteries, nefarious plots and counterplots, all told in an engaging narrative that doesn't get bogged down in exposition like a lot of other hard SF stories. It's far more entertaining than the more grim future vis
David
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Interstellar dreamers, Chosen One espers, futuristic cultists
The Dreaming Void is the start of a new trilogy that takes place in the same universe as Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, but thousands of years later. Like those books, it's a huge, epic space opera full of powerful aliens, amazing tech, and galaxy-threatening perils, and like those books, I found it packed with Big Ideas and should-have-been intriguing characters that never really thrilled me.

Given my similarly lukewarm feelings about Iain Banks, Alastair Reynolds, and Charles Stross, I am
Valyssia Leigh
This book bombs the Bechdel test.

Those of you who just rolled your eyes are dismissed.

For the rest of you, I'd like you to get your heads around the fact that this novel is over 600 pages long. It's an effing slog. In it at no time do two female characters discuss anything other than the men they've screwed and the ones they want to screw. There aren't more than a handful of conversations involving two women. Most of the female presence in this story is of the 'visual aid' variety. Big bosoms
Rob
Executive Summary: A decent story in Mr. Hamilton's Commonwealth universe, but not as satisfying as the original Duology.

Audio book: I really enjoy John Lee's reading voice. It seems to fit well with the universe. He doesn't really stick out to me as someone who does a lot of voices and accents for the characters, but at the same time I wouldn't want anyone else to read this series.

Full Review
I really enjoyed Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained when I listened to them last year. I was happy to
F.R.
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must have been a teenager the last time I read proper science fiction (you know, the stuff with spaceships and shit). I have no idea what stopped me reading science fiction then (I remain to this day deeply in touch with my childhood Doctor Who fan) and no real clue why I got it into my head to start reading it now. All I know is that Peter Hamilton seems a big name in British science fiction these days and so I thought I’d give him a whirl.

If I’m honest this isn’t the easiest book to write re
Claudia
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant as the others. And because the events are taking place more than one thousand years after the ones in Pandora's star, it will be hard to understand the complexity of this universe if you skip the first series. So, if you plan to read it, read Commonwealth Saga first.
Sandi
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, audiobooks, sci-fi
I'm so glad I stuck with Peter F. Hamilton. I think he's now one of my favorite SF authors. And, in this audiobook, John Lee has redeemed himself as a narrator. I was totally annoyed by his narration of Pandora's Star, but was totally engrossed in his narration of The Dreaming Void. In fact, I downloaded The Temporal Void from Audible while I was listening to the last half hour of this book.

I'm not going to bother telling what this book was about because the synopsis sums it up pretty well. What
Nico
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The story takes place 1.000 years after the Commonwealth saga. We see a few new faces, but also characters from the first two books. The same things I loved about the first series by Peter F. Hamilton continues in this series. A super detailed and rich world, even though it's the same universe a lot has changed in 1k years.
The plot builds up slowly, but I think you can expect this from Hamilton novels and I guess the whole scope of the story is much bigger than started in the first volume. So I
David
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first novel of a trilogy by Peter Hamilton--it is science fiction, interspersed with "dreams" that are fantasy. The science fiction follows along similar lines to Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga; some of the same characters return, but they are a thousand years older!

Neither the science fiction plot-lines nor the fantasy contained much in the way of interesting new ideas. And while I generally enjoy science fiction more than fantasy, here I enjoyed the fantasy episodes quite a bit more
Guillermo
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

I didn't think I would enjoy this book. It had 2 strikes going against it before I even read a single page.

I came away from the Commonwealth Saga less than impressed. It was ok, it certainly wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't my cup of green tea. It sounded great on paper, but I thought it was poorly executed at critical times and felt very bloated.

Upon reading the description on the book jacket: "At the very heart of th galaxy is the Void, a self-contained microuniverse that cannot be brea
Elliott Walsh
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Actually, I'm only WITHIN STRIKING DISTANCE of finishing this interesting book, which was a gift from one of my daughters more than a year ago.

While worthy and as I said interesting in many ways, it was not for me a compelling read. Hamilton is gifted but seems to write without any discipline with regard to outlining his story arcs in advance of writing, or if he DOES so, it is not set out for the reader in any clearly discernible way.

His gifts and strengths do lie in his imagination, and the s
Erik
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
A massive space opera, with a galaxy full of alien species, FTL drives, stealth space ships, a big mystery at the center of the galaxy (the Void), and more PoVs than you can shake a stick at.

So. A nice space adventure in the truly operatic tradition. Sadly, it didn’t quite scratch my style itch.

The prose style is very straightforward. There’s a fair amount of description, but for the most part, the writing exists simply to ferry us along from place to place, conversation to conversation. There’s
Megan Baxter
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is not a bad book, but it just doesn't hang together that well. I kept hoping the very interesting parts would become a very interesting whole, but no, not really. (This is partly because this builds on books that I've either not read, or read so long ago I barely remember them.)

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Mark
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter’s new book, the first of the proposed Void Trilogy, is set around the year 3580, 1500 years into the future of the events of Pandora’s Star/Judas Unchained. The Intersolar Commonwealth, seen in its early stages in Pandora’s Star/Judas Unchained, has evolved and has expanded into a fairly stable state over a thousand galaxies. After the events of the previous two books, there is, after a fair degree of rebuilding, a stable space fleet once more. The InterSolar dynasties of Sheldon and Halga ...more
Christopher
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fred Hughes
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Peter F. Hamilton's first book in the Void Trilogy.

Within these pages there is excitement and adventure, conflict and compassion and an introduction to the main characters who will be guiding us through the Void trilogy.

The Void is at the centre of the universe, or rather what was at the centre many millennia ago.
It was expanding and devouring all the solar systems in it's way and then stopped. Mankind did visit it once and never returned but did trigger another expansion.

Now there is talk of a
Hope Reads
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-i-owe
I enjoyed this book very much. I never read any other work by Mr. Hamilton but so far so good.
I do have say I was getting a bit bored with the last few chapter of Inigo Dreams. I hope that improves in the next book.

Xavi
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: llegits-2013
Hamilton es un autor que me encanta. Tiene una imaginación desbordante y el universo de la Federación es un escenario perfecto donde situar una novela de space opera de las que a mi me gustan.
Pero esta primera novela de la trilogía tiene un defecto importante a mi manera de ver. Sin spoilers: hay dos líneas narrativas: lo que está sucediendo en el año 3589 en los diferentes mundos de la Federación (con tramas geniales y personajes ya conocidos de su obra anterior, lo que ha provocado que a mi m
Robert
Nov 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The Dreaming Void is much in the vein of Hamilton's post-Greg Mandel work - that is a door-stop sized tome of space opera. The technical approach is also the same as the Night's Dawn Trilogy and the Commonwealth Saga; a large set of characters are introduced with very little apparent connection between them at the outset but as events proceed, those connections become more apparent.

THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHIP POLICY

See the complete review here:

Metaphorosis
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2012-rev
Generally, I re-read all previous books in a series when I buy the next book. This means I've read The Dreaming Void three times. I like it as much now as I did the first time, but I find it just as complex.

The Dreaming Void takes place millennia after two other books (Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained) that I have not read. That backstory gives the book depth, but also sometimes leaves the reader keenly aware that he is not part of the inner circle. There's nothing technically wrong with Hamilton
thefourthvine
This book starts with a 1,500-year timeline of events leading up to the start of the story. The first third of it is character introduction, each character getting a chapter or part of one. It finishes with no resolution of any of the storylines; it's not a book so much as the first third of a very long book of complex political SF. You're either the kind of person that summary appealed to or you aren't.

If you aren't, lucky you. This is the genre I wish I could quit -- it's the SF epic, a very c
Nate Elbert
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I haven't read any of Peter Hamilton's other books so if there are elements that help understanding this book that are in the others then I'm out of luck. The book explores a number of different technology advances and their effects on the races that exist in this future, such as hive minds, shared consciousness, techno-empathy, effective immortality, and others. Unfortunately there are just so many characters and moving parts that don't actually do anything that this entire book feels like it's ...more
Scott
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Maybe I would have appreciated this more if I'd read the earlier books set in this "universe" (this is the first of a trilogy, so I didn't realize there were others.) It wasn't exactly boring, but it didn't call to me either. The chapters are very long and every other one is a dream sequence (really a separate linear storyline that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the main story until the last couple pages.) Much of the technology depicted is so far advanced that it verges on unbelievabl ...more
I finished (re-reading) listening to the audiobook version on January 5, 2015.

The Void Trilogy is an amazing effort made by one of the master’s of science fiction. While I do think that readers may appreciate this series more if they read Pandora’s Star and Judas Unchained first, it’s not absolutely necessary (as I have proved). It is impossible not to enjoy a series this sprawling, complex, tightly woven and incredibly written. Though some readers might not feel that this is Hamilton’
Goodreads Librari...: Unknown binding is actually a paperback 2 13 Feb 23, 2016 08:21AM
Science Fiction A...: * The Dreaming Void-Dan's Pick 11 47 Jan 16, 2016 07:29PM
>> 2 62 Dec 17, 2012 10:02AM
  • Line War (Agent Cormac, #5)
  • Century Rain
  • Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2)
  • The Algebraist
  • Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.

Void (3 books)
  • The Temporal Void
  • The Evolutionary Void
“Sometimes you have to do what’s wrong in order to do what’s right.” 26 likes
“Justine watched two azure moons traverse the sparkling smear of Wall stars. They were in very strange orbits. And moving impossibly fast – actually accelerating. ‘Oh my God,’ she gasped. The Raiel’s planet-sized DF machines were flying into new positions. ‘The Raiel are getting ready for the last fight,’ Ehasz said numbly. ‘If they lose, that monster will consume the whole galaxy.” 1 likes