Black Coffee discussion

General > Who Are You and Why are You Here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Dec 03, 2015 08:55AM) (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
Hello everyone. we now have over 550 members in our group and some of us know each other from discussions and some of us are new to the group. I was thinking that we can all introduce ourselves by answering a few icebreaker questions. This is for any and all group members rather you are new, pretty quite in the group or one of the most active group members.

The questions are as follows:

1. What is your name?
2. Why did you join this group?
3. Where do you live?
4. What is your favorite sports team?
5. What's your pet peeve?
6. What's your favorite book/author and why?
7. What's the worse book you've ever read?
8. What's your favorite quote?
9. What's your favorite movie?

message 2: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Jan 14, 2016 07:09AM) (new)

1. My name is Kisha
2. I created this group out of frustration at the fact that (at the time) there weren't really any African-American book clubs on GR outside of the street-lit genre. And the groups that I was in never read any African-American books. To be honest I never thought it would get so popular and have so many loyal participants (thanks! tear!). Now if I can get an African-American genre on he GR Choice Awards but okay..baby steps :)
3. Home of Brutus!!! Columbus, OH.
4. Buckeye Nation!! By the way did you all see how we kicked Michigans BUTT!? Tehee!
5. I have plenty but I'll say when people don't say thank you. I hate that.
6. Toni Morrison is my favorite author hands down because she always teaches a lesson and she's so creative. I have several fav books. To name a few; Beloved, The Bluest Eyes, The Color Purple, 11/22/63, The Book of Night Women, and The Book Theif.
7. Probably Gilgamesh, or Confessions of a Video Vixen.
8. "Success is getting what you want, Happiness is wanting what you get."
9. The Color Purple and The Wiz.

message 3: by Diane (last edited Dec 03, 2015 09:08AM) (new)

Diane McPhail (dianecmcphail) | 34 comments Diane McPhail. Grew up in the Mississippi Delta. Now live in NC. I have completed a novel centering around an incident of historical violence erupting after the murder of an Abolitionist slave-owning judge in 1862. Manumission was against the law and he bought slaves to rescue them from much worse situations. He set up a school to educate them, which was also illegal. I am presently in the process of searching for an agent to represent the book. One of my pet peeves is poorly written grammar, though I am sometimes guilty myself. My favorite book from childhood is Jane Eyre and currently is Lila by Marilynne Robinson. My favorite movie might be Tom Jones. I realize how that dates me.

message 4: by Bobby (last edited Dec 03, 2015 09:34AM) (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments 1. Bobby Bermea

2. I've been disconnected. I don't read enough black literature and I have no one to blame but myself. But it's important to me and I want to change that. My first loves are horror and science fiction and so I'm trying to pick up some game there but I really just need to start picking up more authors of color than I do and the first step seems to be just becoming informed of what's out there. Hopefully, this group will help.

3. Portland, Oregon.

4. Dallas Cowboys (Don't hate me! It happened when I was a little kid! You can't change it!)

5. Shoot, where to begin? The term "politically correct". It's a deliberate obfuscation of the truth.

"Reverse racism". Racism only goes in one direction. Down.

Dogs whining. I hate that sound.

Inaccurate use of the word "literally". Especially from people who should know better. E.g. "Michael Jordan was literally on fire!" He was not literally on fire! He was not in flames! He is not in the hospital with second and third degree burns all over his body!

Okay, enough negativity.

7. They're not the same and they change all the time. My favorite book is probably One Hundred Years of Solitude. It took me four times to read it and usually, I don't do that. I'm not afraid to say the book is stupid and so is everybody who thinks it's good. But that wasn't the case with this book. I kept putting it down and picking it back up and trying again and that fourth time was magic. I can only speak in hyperbole when I talk about this book. It was transcendent, some of the most powerful and fantastic scenes ever put on paper. My favorite author is probably Ray Bradbury. When I was eight I read a book called The Martian Chronicles because it was going to have Martians in it. The first story "Ylla" was, I think, the first time I experienced more sophisticated, adult emotions. It was a window to the world I would be moving into and gave me some idea on how being an adult was going to be different than being a child. Bradbury writes with a great deal of wonder, which I appreciate to this day. I've been reading him ever since. I actually produced an all-black play version of his short story, "Rocket Man".

8. Jeez. Tough one. Two that leap to mind are The Da Vinci Code and A Discovery of Witches. The former I felt like I had to read because I didn't want to miss out on what had become a cultural touchstone, right? And there was a lot in it that fascinated me, just in general. The spirituality, the ancient religion, the sacred feminine, on and on. But Dan Brown is absolutely pathetic at crafting prose, with child-like sentence structure and technique. Every threat that came up was gone in the next two pages. No tension. That book is an indictment of the reading public. A Discovery of Witches, honestly, I got to like, page 50 and stopped. The monsters were doing freaking yoga. I'm not kidding. On the other hand, it's a very popular book. I gave it to my girlfriend and she loved it.

9. “You can map out a fight plan or a life plan, but when the action starts, it may not go the way you planned, and you're down to your reflexes - that means your preparation. That's where your roadwork shows. If you cheated on that in the dark of the morning, well, you're going to get found out now, under the bright lights.”
-- Joe Frazier

10. Depending on the day:

The Godfather
The Crying Game
Alien
An American Werewolf in London
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad

I know! I know! "Shut up, dude!"

Out.

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments 1. My name is Beverly

2. Joined the group because I am an avid reader and like discussing books. I am a "the book is being released I just have to read it" junkie especially when it comes to authors of color and cultural fiction.

3. I currently live in Birmingham, AL by way of NYC, Rockville, MD and Charlotte, NC.

4. I am a big sports fan so I have picked up teams along the way - NY Giants, NY Mets, NY Knicks, Baltimore Ravens, U of MD basketball, Carolina Panthers. But everywhere you go in the Birmingham area people ask you are you a Alabama or Auburn fan - I am not there yet as I still love my NC college teams.

5. Ignorant/rude people

6. Such a hard question and the list is too long but a couple of fav - Toni Morrison, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Ernest Gaines, Edwidge Danticat, David Anthony Durham, Leonard Pitts Jr., Beverly Jenkins.

7. Can't remember it had to be while I was in school - now if I do not like a book I stop reading it.

8. "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Mahatma Gandhi

9. Favorite movie is Daughters of the Dust.

message 6: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments Beverly wrote: "1. My name is Beverly

2. Joined the group because I am an avid reader and like discussing books. I am a "the book is being released I just have to read it" junkie especially when it comes to autho..."

Daughters of the Dust is a GREAT movie! Really unlike anything else! Man, I can never find anyone else who's ever seen it. Do you know what Julie Dash is doing nowadays?

message 7: by Beverly (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:45AM) (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Bobby wrote: "Beverly wrote: "1. My name is Beverly

2. Joined the group because I am an avid reader and like discussing books. I am a "the book is being released I just have to read it" junkie especially when i..."

LOL - You are asking the wrong person as I am not a movie person.

But I did see on a special that TCM did last month on films produced/directed by African-American women and they did it in chronological order. I learned about this by chance as not a tv watcher either.

But Julia Dash was one of the hosts and provided commentary. But it looks like she is in Los Angeles and still in the arts - sorry do not remember specifically.

This movie would make a great holiday gift to anyone interested in film and/or African-American history.
(The book is great also)

message 8: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:39AM) (new)

"...My first loves are horror and science fiction and so I'm trying to pick up some game there but I really just need to start picking up more authors of color than I do and the first step seems to be just becoming informed of what's out there. Hopefully, this group will help."

I am the opposite. I had to step out of the box of only ready African-American books. Now I realize that there is a WHOLE world of books and genres out there. GR as a whole has definitely done that for me. African-American historical fiction is still my favorite genre but now I have so many favorite subgenres like, time-travel, psychological thriller, international, and holocaust are some of my favs. Goodreads have definitely made me a better reader. And some of the avid readers in this group are great at refer good books for you like Londa and Anastasia and of course Beverly is definitely my go to person. Glad you are enjoying the group Bobby!

message 9: by Bobby (last edited Dec 03, 2015 12:59PM) (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments kisha wrote: ""...My first loves are horror and science fiction and so I'm trying to pick up some game there but I really just need to start picking up more authors of color than I do and the first step seems to..."

And what I'm trying to do is pick up more science fiction and horror -- by writers of color. Because what I found out was "they're out there, dumbass (meaning me)!" I did VONA (which I highly recommend for any writers out there) and I took the speculative fiction section. Man, everybody was brilliant! I'm not kidding. And the whole class -- of science fiction and horror -- was women.

(Fantastic, right? I'm in "the cat's away" mode, let's get our flirt on. Aaaaannnd, not so much. They're all like, "We're here about business. Your smarmy comments are not appreciated. Stop calling us 'chicks'." They never said that but they said that, if you know what I mean. BUT they didn't throw me out, they put up with me and it was amazing.)

Some of them are really good and really driven. In particular, Lilliam Rivera and Adrienne Maree Brown. I don't think Lilliam has put out any novels but she gets published all over the place and wins awards like other people buy clothes. Look for her. Support her. She's a fantastic writer. Adrienne just put out Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction Stories from Social Justice Movements with Walidah Imarisha. It's a great collection of speculative fiction with a bent for social change and it's all writers of color. Moreover, it's a great book. Buy it. Lilliam is a just a straight-up, badass storyteller. Adrienne is a more elegant prose stylist. They're both super-smart and imaginative and conscious.

Even our teacher was a woman, Tananarive Due, who is also amazing. She's very established and very accomplished and she also just put out a book of short stories, Ghost Summer: Stories, that I just bought and can't wait to dive into.

But there were ten women in that class (including Tananarive) and I was the only man. Wild.

Beverly wrote: "This movie would make a great holiday gift to anyone interested in film and/or African-American history.
(The book is great also)"

The BOOK? There's a book??? Holy smokes! Gotta check that out!

And yeah, among the many things that fire me up (comic books, theatre, books, etc.) are movies. Borderline film buff. But I didn't know there was a book. Daughters of the Dust
Bam!

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Bobby wrote: "kisha wrote: ""...My first loves are horror and science fiction and so I'm trying to pick up some game there but I really just need to start picking up more authors of color than I do and the first..."

I too am a big scifi/speculative fiction.

And you are right Tananarive Due is wonderful and I am sure that was an awesome class. I have read Ghost Summer:Stories and really enjoyed, despite short stories not being my fav genre, This collection reminded me so much of her earlier work which I loved.

This year has been a very good year for speculative fiction books by authors of color and my goal was to read these 2015 releases. I have not read all but made a big dent in the list.

The Grace of Kings
The Book of Phoenix
Shadowshaper
The Fifth Season
Falling in Love with Hominids
The House of Shattered Wings
The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps
Sorcerer to the Crown
Lagoon
The Truth About Awiti
Ghost Summer: Stories
Half-Resurrection Blues

message 11: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

And what I'm trying to do is pick up more science fiction and horror -- by writers of color...

Lol you're funny. I will keep my eyes open for those names. I don't know how open minded you are, but there is a horror book called Voodoo Season Voodoo Season by Jewell Parker Rhodes by Jewell Parker Rhodes and it's really good. It is historical fiction and it's the tale about an old bayou myth about a voodoo queen Marie Laveau. It's good voodoo versus bad voodoo. It's writen beautifully and puts you in the mind of Toni Morrison by way of literary style.

message 12: by Bobby (last edited Dec 03, 2015 02:11PM) (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments kisha wrote: "there is a horror book called Voodoo Season by Jewell Parker Rhodes by Jewell Parker Rhodes and it's really good"

I'm on it. I'll read it.

Beverly wrote: "
The Grace of Kings
The Book of Phoenix
Shadowshaper
The Fifth Season
The House of Shattered Wings
The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps
Sorcerer to the Crown
Lagoon
The Truth About Awiti
Ghost Summer: Stories
Half-Resurrection Blues
"

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! I read Salsa Nocturna: Stories by Daniel José Older who wrote Half-Resurrection Blues and Shadowshaper. It was excellent. He's a guy on the come up, without a doubt.

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments kisha wrote: "And what I'm trying to do is pick up more science fiction and horror -- by writers of color...

Lol you're funny. I will keep my eyes open for those names. I don't know how open minded you are, but..."

This is a good series. This book 2 of a trilogy.
I enjoyed her adult work. The author now writes YA or younger books. They are also good my granddaughter liked them.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments For some reason I thought you'd moved, Kisha. I have no idea why xD

message 15: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2445 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Diane McPhail. Grew up in the Mississippi Delta. Now live in NC. I have completed a novel centering around an incident of historical violence erupting after the murder of an Abolitionist slave-owni..."

Awesome!! I'm from the MS Delta...Greenville. :)

message 16: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

1. What is your name?

Lu'Andrea aka Lulu

I love history and historical fiction. And I'm so glad I did, I'm made quite a few friends. :)

3. Where do you live?

Austin, Tx

TN Titans....don't ask!

questioning lips equipped with non-listening ears.

Book: Tryin' To Sleep In The Bed You Made - I don't know what it is about this book that comforts me. I always read it when i'm feeling low and it brings me right out of it.

Author: Terry McMillan

Pecking Order by Omar Tyree --- just pointless. lol

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you're hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" --- Rocky Balboa

The Rocky Series :)

message 17: by Helen (last edited Dec 03, 2015 05:54PM) (new)

Helen Erwin | 95 comments 1. What is your name?
Helen

I love historical fiction in general and I wrote a book about the Underground Railroad and Abolition, so African American fiction interests me.

3. Where do you live?
In New York City.

Oh no, I don´t have one. I love to exercise though, does that count?

I can´t handle duck lip, side eye or big eyed desperate eye selfies.

There are so many that I love, but Someone know´s my name is fantastic. And Time and Again with Jack Finney, love time travel. Almost forgot to write that, I had to come back to edit. Love Time travel.

7. What's the worse book you've ever read? I don´t know, I usually don´t finish them if I don´t like them.

"Your hands are the hands of God. You can heal the world with them."

Hmmm, so many, can I do a series? Love Battlestar Galalctica.

message 18: by Bobby (last edited Dec 03, 2015 06:13PM) (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments Lulu wrote: "1. What is your name?

Lu'Andrea aka Lulu

I love history and historical fiction. And I'm so glad I did, I'm made quite a few friends. :)

3. Where do you live?

A..."

LULU! You're in good hands with Marcus Mariota. Kid's going to be a stud. They can build around that. But I'm askin'. How did that happen?

I used to live in Austin, an oasis in the desert. Texas is like another planet.

Did you see Creed yet? It's slammin'.

message 19: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Helen I'm with you on the duck lips lol

message 20: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Bobby wrote: "LULU! You're in good hands with Marcus Mariota. Kid's going to be a stud. They can build around that. But I'm askin'. How did that happen?

I used to live in Austin, an oasis in the desert. Texas is like another planet.

Did you see Creed yet? It's slammin'."

Yes Yes Yes!! I have total confidence in Mariota! We're gonna make it to the Superbowl before I die!! I hope! lol. So my grandpa was a Houston Oilers fan and I'm grandpa's little girl so I became a Houston Oilers fan and when they became the TN Titans in 1999 I became a TN Titans fan...guess it's in my blood!

I haven't gotten a chance to see Creed yet, but i'm planning to see it this weekend.

Texas IS another planet!

message 21: by Maya (last edited Dec 04, 2015 08:47AM) (new)

Maya B | 794 comments 1. my name is Maya

2. I joined this group to connect with people that enjoys historical books as much as I do.

3. I live in South carolina

4. Miami heat is my favorite sports team

5. my biggest pet peeve....loud mouth, obnoxious people. I cant stand it and I do my best to avoid them

6.I have so many favorite authors that I cant pick just one.

7. I never finish books that I dont like, but I do remember reading Wolf Hall and thought the writing style was terrible.

8. I have so many quotes I like but this is one of my favorites.....
“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”
― Jane Austen

9. The Color Purple is my all time favorite movie

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments 1. What is your name?
I've always been known by my middle name, which is Anastasia.

When I got back into reading about two or so years ago I realized I didn't have a lot of diversity in my reading selection. I wanted to remedy that but I knew nothing about AA authors or their works so I had no idea where to start. My hope in joining this group was that I would be exposed to many wonderful AA authors and works by people who have more of a clue than I do xD I'm very pleased with the results :)

3. Where do you live?
South Dakota

I'm not really a sports girl but my family has always rooted for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Oh dear, I have so many :P One of them is when companies don't have email options for contacting them. I hate talking on the phone so I prefer email.

I have many favorite authors and books. One of my favorite authors is Mark Twain and I also like the Hunger Games.

I don't remember the name but it was this series based on fairy tales. It's one of the few series that I gave a one star rating on here (I think). The author appeared to just hurriedly write whatever came to mind and hit 'publish'.

Any quote by Mark Twain or Jon Stewart, lol

Again, too many! I've always enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada though.

message 23: by Bobby (last edited Dec 05, 2015 11:13AM) (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments Anastasia wrote: "1. What is your name?

When I got back into reading about two or so years ago I realized I didn't have..."

Hey Anastasia,

I used to live in South Dakota too. My dad was in the military. We were stationed at Ellsworth AFB outside of Rapid City. I couldn't do SD as an adult. But as a wee widdle one, I loved it. Hot in the summer and tons of snow in the winter.

Like with Lulu, I'm totally curious about a person living in South Dakota wound up rooting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Do you want recommendations for books or do you just want to hear about them organically? Though up above, Beverly already provided a great list.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Bobby wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "1. What is your name?

When I got back into reading about two or so years ago I real..."

Nice to "meet" you, Bobby! We have a ton of snow right now, lol.

My father lived in the Tampa Bay area as a teenager and thinks of it as his 'home town' so that's why we root for them. :)

Beverly provides great recommendations and we've read some incredible books in the group and buddy reads. I also look at the nominations and see if any of them interest me.

message 25: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments Anastasia wrote: "Bobby wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "1. What is your name?

When I got back into reading about two or so ye..."

Ha! I shoulda knowed. I'm the rookie here!

message 26: by Helen (new)

Helen Erwin | 95 comments Anastasia wrote: "1. What is your name?

Me too! In Sweden where I´m from you have a list of surnames, you can be called any of those names, not just the first one. When you fill in official documents you underline the name you use.

Do you get questions about this?
I often get people who ask when I decided to use Helen, why I do it, and that Marie then must be my REAL name and Helen just a nickname. Or they ask if my parents changed their minds when I was a baby.
I also have trouble with banks and other institutions from time to time.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Helen wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "1. What is your name?

Me too! In Sweden where I´m from you have a list of surnames, you can be called any of those n..."

Ooooh, underlining is a good idea! It always confused people when they find out I go by my middle name xD

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda | 172 comments 1. What is your name? Linda

2. Why did you join this group? My friends are not readers. I love to talk about books, but I can't find a book club to join.

3. Where do you live? Central Coast of CA. The weather is mild, but can be crazy, too.

4. What is your favorite sports team? New Orleans Saints

5. What's your pet peeve? I can't think of any, but I'm sure I have them. I'll come back and edit this when I'm aggravated about something.

I have no idea. I think it easier for me to say what I definitely don't like.

That is so easy to answer. It was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm still a little mad at my brother for making me read it.

I like the ones that pop up on my goodread app--I like quotes for a minute and then I forget them.

Again, I don't know. I really don't go to the movies very much--Maybe once or twice a year. I don't like movies that are scary or too violent.

I'm enjoying reading about everyone. Keep them coming!

message 29: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) 1. What is your name?
Zanna
I was invited, and I like reading PoC authors, and I like historical fiction
3. Where do you live?
London, UK
Pass! I like watching tennis and athletics...
People standing on the heels of my shoes when walking behind me. London is busy!
1-Octavia Butler love her world building and politics
2-Ngugi wa Thiong'o love his epic imagination and politics
3-Angela Carter love her exuberant style and politics
4-Ursula Le Guin see Octavia
My favourite book though is possibly The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative by Thomas King because it changed my mind
The worst book I've ever finished was The Colossus of Maroussi
"You are not Atlas with the world on your shoulders. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you" Dr Vandana Shiva
Argh I can't think! I rarely find time to watch movies. I love all of Abbas Kiarostami's films. I will admit a weakness for Baz Luhrman's Romeo & Juliet...

message 30: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) kisha wrote: "Hello everyone."

1. What is your name?
poingu

This year in another group we were reading The Novel: A Biography, a huge survey book of all novels written originally in English. The "originally in English" part stripped out international/non-European works by people of color that are usually in these big survey books, like The Tale of Genji for example, and I have to say it was shocking, disturbing, to see how little was published by a person of color in English until the Harlem Renaissance. We have a handful of novels like Clotel: or, The President's Daughter by William Wells Brown and Our Nig and The Heroic Slave and that's about it. Then there are slave narratives which are incredible but even these would never have been published if they didn't fit the agendas of white abolitionists.

I joined this group to explore older works by African Americans with others. A lot of what I've found and read is hard to find or out of print. I've created a shelf and have been making my way through it, here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

My shelf is not just African American works. One of the most amazing books I read this year was Life of Black Hawk, or Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak: Dictated by Himself.

Well, my note is already pretty long so I'll just say I don't know anything about sports, and I love pretty much every movie I've ever seen because my taste in movies is highly questionable.

message 31: by Andrew (last edited Dec 20, 2015 11:39PM) (new)

Andrew | 263 comments 1. What is your name?
Andrew

Traditionally Science Fiction/Fantasy and History has been my main interest. I wanted to extent my reading into another genre and learn more about African American literature.

3. Where do you live?
London (UK)

I don't have such a team but I do like Football (I believe it is known as 'Soccer' in some parts of the world)!

A lack of open mindedness in dealing with other people.

I have many including Wild Seed and Dawn both by Octavia Butler, The Seedbearing Prince by DaVaun Sanders, Changa's Safari (Changa #1) by Milton J. Davis, ...

I have read books which were not very good and I can't identify a worst one.

I have a number of these but one which stands out is "Our histories cling to us. We are shaped by where we come from." -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Blade Runner

message 32: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) Great quote Andrew

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 263 comments Zanna wrote: "Great quote Andrew"

Thank you Zanna. Wishing you the best for the New Year!

message 34: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Jr. (goodreadscomthomasbarrjr) | 8 comments Thomas Barr Jr (1971-Present) resides in Miami Florida and is a huge fan of the Miami Heat basketball team. He began writing while a student at Bethune Cookman University and wrote professionally after graduate school. He is fond of doing community service with the brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated. When not writing he does personal research in historical American biographies and sport fishing. His writing interests are in historical thrillers that explore the urban content of city and rural life.

message 35: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments Thomas wrote: "Thomas Barr Jr (1971-Present) resides in Miami Florida and is a huge fan of the Miami Heat basketball team. He began writing while a student at Bethune Cookman University and wrote professionally a..."

Thomas, would definitely love to hear some book recoms from you.

message 36: by Carey (new)

Carey Anderson (careythewriter) | 2047 comments 1. What is your name?

Carey Anderson

I wanted to be involved in a group of people like myself.

3. Where do you live?

San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco 49ers

People who are just rude to be rude. It's not keeping it real it's just rude. Tact and manners are becoming lost art forms for real.

Eric Jerome Dickey was my last favorite author. I used to hound the bookstore waiting for his next release.

I don't remember the title or the author. I just remember closing it and never going back.

"Treat people the way you want to be treated."

Boomerang (Eddie Murphy, Robin Givens, Halle Berry, Martin Lawrence, David Alan Grier, Grace Jones, Eartha Kit) all black cast

message 37: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Butler | 2 comments I am a multi-genre author living on Florida’s gulf coast. I write fiction in several genres. I wrote one book which is classified as African American Historical Fiction. I will post more info on that in another folder. I joined this group because I want to read more African American Historical Fiction, so I’m looking for discussions and/or recommendations. It’s hard to say what my favorite book or author is, since I read multiple genres. Mostly I read fiction. However, the book that I remember always is, The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

message 38: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Patrick (christineaplatt) | 44 comments Totally missed this thread when it started!

1. What is your name?

Christine

I am pretty new to Goodreads (Nov 2014). So I am still learning how to navigate and walk the fine line for authors. I primarily read and write AA Historical Fiction and Fantasy so naturally this group was the perfect fit for my interests. :-)

3. Where do you live?

Washington, DC

I have to put the Pittsburgh Steelers since my husband is sitting right next to me. lol

Ungratefulness. And rude behavior.

I love all things Octavia Butler. I have to say her Parable collection is my favorite. I would have loved to read her final book in the series -- to see her vision of life on the moon/other planets. I think she would be so tickled to know NASA is doing research on that very topic. She was such a visionary!

Having recently published my first book (The Truth About Awiti - shameless plug!) and knowing the writing process, I will never say something bad about an author. I will just close the book and never recommend it to anyone. :-)

I have so many! But this is one of my favorites: "There was a time you when you were not a slave, remember that. You walked alone, full of laughter, you bathed bare-bellied. You say you have lost all recollection of it, remember... You say there are no words to describe this time, you say it does not exist. But remember. Make an effort to remember. Or, failing that, invent.” ― Monique Wittig

The Color Purple and Their Eyes Were Watching God. I could probably quote those entire movies.

Really enjoying getting to know everyone!

message 39: by Victoria (RedsCat) (last edited Jan 11, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) | 11 comments Hi!
1. What is your name? Victoria
2. Why did you join this group? Kisha invited me and it seems to be a lively and interesting group.
3. Where do you live? Physically in Arizona, but my soul is still in the PNW.
4. What is your favorite sports team? nope
5. What's your pet peeve? My biggest Goodreads pet peeve is "writers" who have thousands of "friends," request friendship just to promote their book, and have "0" on their read/currently reading/to-read shelves. True writers are also avid readers, so show, don't tell. (Usually men who write spy thrillers - they send requests to everyone, never even checking the shelves to see if that person even reads spy thrillers.) Yes, this is a big peeve.
6. What's your favorite book/author and why? Hard to choose only one, but my favorite books are The Secret Life of Bees and A Tale of Two Cities. I can't begin to pick a favorite author.
7. What's the worse book you've ever read? A Confederacy of Dunces. I'm not even going to link to it, because I hate it that much.
8. What's your favorite quote? “People who think dying is the is the worst thing don't know a thing about life.” ― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees
9. What's your favorite movie? The Secret Life of Bees, The Colour Purple, Chasing Mavericks

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) | 11 comments Christine,
Have you read Kindred by Octavia Butler? It's so heartbreakingly good.

message 41: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Patrick (christineaplatt) | 44 comments Victoria (RedsCat) wrote: "Christine,
Have you read Kindred by Octavia Butler? It's so heartbreakingly good."

Yes! I love Kindred. I keep hunting used bookstores looking for an earlier edition. I love some of the older covers. Her writing is so beautiful! My Octavia Butler favorites in order:

1. Parable of the Sower
2. Parable of the Talents
3. Kindred
4. Wild Seed

I read Fledgling and while I loved it, it didn't steal my heart like the others. If she were still alive I would have so many fangirl moments. :-)

message 42: by Linda (new)

Linda | 172 comments Victoria (RedsCat) wrote: "Hi!
5. What's your pet peeve? My biggest Goodreads pet peeve is "writers" who have thousands of "friends," request friendship just to promote their book, and have "0" on their read/currently reading/to-read shelves..."

I couldn't think of a pet peeve when I answered my questions, but I promised to edit after I thought about it. Ditto what Christine said for #5.

message 43: by Victoria (RedsCat) (last edited Jan 11, 2016 07:11PM) (new)

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) | 11 comments I love that so many of us love The Color Purple. I'm still pissed off 30 years later that it was snubbed by the Academy.

message 44: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Patrick (christineaplatt) | 44 comments I think Victoria said it but I agree. :-) And the author guidelines are pretty clear not to harass.

message 45: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Patrick (christineaplatt) | 44 comments The Color Purple will live forever! There would have been an uproar if it were snubbed today. I would be on the front lines! lol

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) | 11 comments I'd be on the front lines with you!

message 47: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

I had watched the color purple so many times as a child that my mom banned it in the house for a year. THE longest year of my LIFE! I Love that film and the book equally.

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) | 11 comments Yes, the book, too. Love them both.

message 49: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Victoria I hate that? I love supporting authors, especially the independent "struggling" ones but the spam is real lol.

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) | 11 comments Yes! It happens on Twitter a lot, too. They'll follow and then say, Please tell me about the kinds of books you like. If they read any of my tweets, they'd know!

« previous 1