The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 20.1 - Most Improved - Megan W's task: (Super)Heroes

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 08, 2015 04:37PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
20.1 Most Improved - Megan W's task: (Super)Heroes

Superhero movies and T.V. shows are one of my guilty pleasures, but I also love learning about acts of heroism done by real people in everyday life. For this task, choose ONE of these options:

Required: Specify which option you picked when you post.

1) Read a book with the main page genre “Superheroes” (embedded or standalone).

OR

2) Read a non-fiction book by or about someone who you consider heroic.
Required: Include an explanation of who you think is heroic and why.

Books with the genre Sequential Art (Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga) are acceptable for this task so long as they comply with standard SRC challenge rules.

message 2: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments Placeholder

message 3: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments Placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Would you accept a book from this list for option 1: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
In particular I am thing: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, but Superheros is not high enough as a genre on main page...

message 6: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 142 comments Would Firefightwork?

It is on the list for superhero fiction at position # 322 and position # 107 on superheroes not graphic books.
Here are the links in case anyone wants to peruse for a book:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 7: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments June wrote: "Would Firefightwork?

It is on the list for superhero fiction at position # 322 and position # 107 on superheroes not graphic books.
Here are the links in case anyone wants to perus..."

Thanks for the links, June, I was having a tough time locating a book from the listopia options I was using.

message 8: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Please confirm Watchmen for the superhero genre. It wasn't there a few days ago and I'm afraid it will disappear again.

message 9: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "Would you accept a book from this list for option 1: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
In particular I am thing: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, but S..."

Sorry Erin, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay won't work. Being on the superhero fiction list isn't enough, for this option a book has to have the superhero genre on its main page.

message 10: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments June wrote: "Would Firefightwork?

Here are the links in case anyone wants to perus..."

Firefight has the genre "Comics > Superheroes" on its main page - it's approved!

message 11: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments Nicola wrote: "Please confirm Watchmen for the superhero genre. It wasn't there a few days ago and I'm afraid it will disappear again."

Watchmen is approved!

message 12: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments I'd like to use this one for option #1: The Supervillain Handbook: The Ultimate How-to Guide to Destruction and Mayhem

I was finding this a tough task to fill, and then I forgot I had this in audiobook! :)

message 13: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments Daphne wrote: "I'd like to use this one for option #1: The Supervillain Handbook: The Ultimate How-to Guide to Destruction and Mayhem

I was finding this a tough task to fill, and then I forgot I ..."

This one sounds fun! It's approved for the superhero option.

message 14: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Megan W wrote: "Daphne wrote: "I'd like to use this one for option #1: The Supervillain Handbook: The Ultimate How-to Guide to Destruction and Mayhem

I was finding this a tough task to fill, and t..."

Thanks Megan! I hope it's as fun/funny as it sounds. :)

message 15: by Jonquil (last edited Dec 30, 2015 12:59AM) (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Megan-
Yesterday I doubled-checked the Superheroes genre on Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula. Today, however,genre has disappeared; will look for alternative. Fun task, BTW :-)
Jonquil

message 16: by Jonquil (last edited Dec 30, 2015 12:59AM) (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Megan-
Located second book: Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift. Requesting genre verification.
Thanks, Jonquil

message 17: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments Jonquil wrote: "Megan-
Located second book: Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift. Requesting genre verification.
Thanks, Jonquil"

Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift is approved for the superheroes genre. Enjoy!

message 18: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman Comics > Superheroes

message 19: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments Claire wrote: "Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman Comics > Superheroes"

Claire - yes, Soon I Will Be Invincible works for the Superhero option.

message 20: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Can I get approval for Reaping Angels? Comics > Superheroes ~5 Users.

message 21: by Megan W (new)

Megan W | 185 comments Hina wrote: "Can I get approval for Reaping Angels? Comics > Superheroes ~5 Users."

Sure, Reaping Angels is confirmed for the superhero option.

message 22: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 659 comments I would like to use: Diary of a Cosmonaut: 211 Days in Space in the non fiction category. Would that work? I think spending 211 days in space in a tiny capsule with one other person from company, away from family and friends, forging a path in the space program and for science qualifies as heroic.
Thanks!