The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.11 - Robin ♥'s task: My Favorite Things

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 07, 2015 05:31PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
25.11 - Robin ♥'s task: My Favorite Things

One of my all time favorite movies is celebrating 50 years this year. Yep you guessed it....The Sound of Music. Every year during the winter is when it seems to be aired on public tv. So in honor of the 50th anniversary, I am going to share with you a few of "My Favorite Things".

Info on The Sound of Music-The Film

This is a 2 book Fiction task.
Book 1: Choose Option A OR B
Book 2: Choose Option C OR D
REQUIRED: State which options you choose in your post.

Books with the genre Sequential Art (Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga) are acceptable for this task so long as they comply with standard SRC challenge rules.

Book One: Choose Option A OR Option B
Option A: There is an Amish Community close to my home. I love taking day trips to this community to buy produce, baked goods and other hand/homemade items. After my first visit there,I became very fascinated with their way of life. Since then, I have read a lot of fiction/non-fiction books based on the Amish.

*** Read a book from the Best Amish Fiction List
Required: State which page of the list your book can be found on when you post.

Option B: Since becoming a member of GR I have grown fond of many new-to-me genres. GLBT (LGBT) has become a new favorite in which many are also YA (an old favorite). It's really nice to find books that include both genres.

***Read a book from My GLBT shelf
Note: Make sure the chosen book complies with the SRC rules.

Book 2: Choose Option C OR Option D
Option C: My favorite number is 11. One of my closest,dearest friends is here on GR. Her birthday is 6/11, mine is 8/11,we became friends in 2011 and what a coincidence my task number is 25.11. One of our favorite challenges is buddy reading the books that were GRA Choice Award Winners or Nominees. A lot of the books from 2011 are on my TBR.

***Read a book from GR Choice Awards 2011 that was either a winner or a nominee. Remember your book must be fiction so some of the books/categories CAN NOT be used.
Required: State which category your book was chosen from when you post.

Option D: I am a cover lover! A favorite past time is to chat with Elishia and look for new books. During the winter, we buddy read a lot of Christmas books which usually have pretty covers.

***Read a book with something pertaining to Christmas on the cover e.g. wrapped presents, Christmas decorations, Christmas trees, Christmas cards. It must be something more than just winter clothing, hot drinks, or food. Ex:
The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope #1) by Donna VanLiere The Paper Bag Christmas by Kevin Alan Milne Christmas at Harrington's by Melody Carlson Remembering Christmas by Dan Walsh
Required: Include the cover when posting. If the item is not obvious/easily seen please point it out in your post.

message 2: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Dec 17, 2015 02:17AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Approved

Option D:
Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons A Mackenzie Family Christmas The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5) by Jennifer Ashley The Christmas Letters by Lee Smith What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1) by Victoria Alexander The Chimes by Charles Dickens

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Reserved

message 4: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Dec 17, 2015 02:26AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Not Approved

Non-fiction
5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides by Matthew Inman

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 413 comments I just want to say thank you so much for this task, because I was trying to find one to fit in The Price of Salt, and was starting to get frustrated. THANK YOU :-)

message 7: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Dec 08, 2015 10:43PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Valerie wrote: "I just want to say thank you so much for this task, because I was trying to find one to fit in The Price of Salt, and was starting to get frustrated. THANK YOU :-)"

You are more than welcome :) I know exactly how you feel as sometimes it is hard to fit in certain genres so I try to work with all of them. This time around I excluded Non-Fiction because it isn't a "FAVORITE" LOL

message 8: by Trish (last edited Dec 10, 2015 03:17AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Would this be okay? Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
I see a present on the sledge lower left, plus the trees look pretty Christmassy and the snowflakes look more like decorations than actual snow to me.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Is the holly/berries Christmas decor enough for D?
A Mackenzie Family Christmas The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5) by Jennifer Ashley

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3667 comments Is this enough of a Christmas image (letters used to form a wreath)
The Christmas Letters by Lee Smith

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Trish wrote: "Would this be okay? Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
I see a present on the sledge lower left, plus the trees look pretty Christmassy and the snowflakes look more like decoration..."

Yep, I see the present :) I hope you enjoy it!!!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Melanie wrote: "Is the holly/berries Christmas decor enough for D?
A Mackenzie Family Christmas The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5) by Jennifer Ashley"

Yep, that is enough :) Enjoy your read Melanie!!!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Is this enough of a Christmas image (letters used to form a wreath)
The Christmas Letters by Lee Smith"

Yep, it works for me Book Concierge :) Enjoy!!!!

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1530 comments Is this OK for option D - What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1) by Victoria Alexander ?

message 15: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (spthewife) | 343 comments The Chimes by Charles Dickens

Will this work for Option D, with its holly and bells? it is also a Christmas book.

message 16: by Kaora (last edited Dec 16, 2015 03:17PM) (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1144 comments Can I read 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides for option C? Nominee for graphic novel.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Lauren wrote: "Is this OK for option D - What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1) by Victoria Alexander?"

Absolutely :) I like that cover.......very pretty. I hope you enjoy it!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Sirena wrote: "The Chimes by Charles Dickens

Will this work for Option D, with its holly and bells? it is also a Christmas book."

That works :) Enjoy!!!!

message 19: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Dec 17, 2015 02:24AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Kaora wrote: "Can I read 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides for option C? Nominee for graphic novel."

No, I am sorry :( It is showing on the book's main page genres as being non-fiction. All books for this task HAVE to be fiction.

message 20: by Claire (last edited Jan 22, 2016 11:05AM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments 1A: Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult page 1

2C: Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning Goodreads Choice Award for Best Paranormal Fantasy (2011)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1013 comments Looks good Claire :) Enjoy your books!!!

I want to read Plain Truth so will be interested to see what you think about it :)