r/books discussion

Introductions > Words and stuff

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wörterfuchs (new)

Wörterfuchs (woerterfuchs) Hello, Guten Tag & Grüezi

Im a swiss fellow who enjoys reading (duh!), writing and making lists of things I enjoy.
In regards to genres I like to read Fantasy / SciFi, YA, and... whatever you'd call Steppenwolf.
Currently Im reading "The Book Thief" by Zusak (paperback), "The Last Empire" by Sanderson (audiobook) and "Morality" by King (Shortstory, ebook) - so if you want to spoil me, heres your chance. I WILL find you and make you read 50 shades of grey over and over again though, so think twice.

Im here because my friends either dont read at all or don't care about maintaining a virtual bookshelf. So goodreads feels like home, but a bit lonely, you see?

so yeah. Hi.

message 2: by Megan, Mod (new)

Megan (maptree) | 198 comments Mod
Hello....I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and am like you...my roommates don't read at all. At first, I had gotten the boy, I live with a couple and their son, to read, but now that he is a teenager he thinks it is boring.

I am just about done with 'The Submission' a story about an architect who designs and wins a competition to design a memorial for the 9/11 site. As it was a blind competition the jury didn't know who the architect was until the chose the design, well, it turns out, he is Muslin.....now what? Good book.

I like the classics, Dickens, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, also Murakami. Sorry no Shakespeare and I don't know if you can get me to read Shades of Grey....

Megan

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg | 8 comments I JUST finished the first Mistborn book this week! It was really good, and I'm looking forward to reading the next one!

message 4: by Wörterfuchs (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:30PM) (new)

Wörterfuchs (woerterfuchs) Hey Megan
Sounds like the teenager tried to read the wrong books :D I devoured Stephen King in those years... Yet I do feel the constant temptation to feed myself with other kinds of entertainment that don't require any kind of effort. The Submission sounds interesting, but I do need to catch up on the classics amongst other things :D I haven't read Tolstoy, Dostoevsky nor Murakami yet.

Hey Greg
So far The Last Empire has been pretty entertaining. I still got 8 hours of that soothing voice ahead of me. I think I'll pick up Mistborn 2 as well, if Sanderson doesnt screw up the ending :D
Maybe I'll go for Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson instead though.

message 5: by Megan, Mod (new)

Megan (maptree) | 198 comments Mod
Steph, I think I read most of King until Cujo, then I lost interest until recently when I read Joyland which was good. Didn't really get into the Dark Tower series but may try again at another time. Finished The Submission which was a good one.

I don't know if I have Mistborn or not....I am trying to read books I have without purchasing anymore first. My at home library is probably bigger than Barnes and Noble so I have enough to keep me busy for quite some time..and then there is what is on my iPad.....