The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

125 views
WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.17 - Tara Jo's task: Real Life Gets in the Way

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 06, 2015 04:18PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10881 comments Mod
25.17 - Tara Jo's task: Real Life Gets in the Way

The Fall 2015 Season was the first time I thought it would actually be possible for me to complete the SRC Challenge…the tasks were all enjoyable, I found books at the beginning of the challenge to read for nearly every task (and stuck to it pretty well)…I was on target the first 7 weeks to finish….and then BAM…the last week of October/first week of November hit me hard. Within 10 days/2 weeks I had some bad news on a lot of fronts. In the end, most everything turned out okay, with a little icing on the cake (plus I managed to squeak out finishing the challenges in the last hours of eligibility!)

This is a TWO BOOK CHALLENGE; pick two books, from two different categories.

Required: State which options you chose when you post.

Option 1: The first bad news that hit was my best friend from high school was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 44…just before Thanksgiving she had a lumpectomy done and will start radiation and chemotherapy in the upcoming weeks. I’m looking forward to getting to see in her in a few weeks when I visit my family for Christmas.

To honor my dear friend:
*Read a book about cancer or one where the main character is battling or has battled cancer (any kind); this must be obvious from the book’s description/metadata OR
*where the MC’s or Author’s name is Sonya. (No other variations in spelling).

Option 2: Later that week, in taking my 13 year old dog to the vet as she’s been losing a lot of weight, some blood work indicated an infection and the doctor indicated possible tumors. We did various ultrasounds and more blood work, not finding any tumors, so we still don’t know the root cause. As she’s older and has already had some pretty major issues over the years, our main goal now is to keep her happy and comfortable, and just ensuring a good end of life (however much longer we may have with her).

To honor my love of my dog:
*Read a book with a word in the title found in the list of dog breeds on this list: AKC Dog Breeds. If the dog has multiple words in its name, you may use one word. Plurals and possessives will work, but no other variations. Required: Specify the breed used when you post.

Option 3:
The following week, my husband had a follow-up doctor appointment…over the years he’s had quite a few medical issues, but the last few years have gotten a bit more difficult with various complications. Most recently, his kidney functions have weakened and his nephrologist is starting to talk kidney dialysis or transplant.

To honor my husband:
*Read a book where the Author’s Initials can be found in any order and in any combination of the words KIDNEY, DIALYSIS, TRANSPLANT. If the author uses a middle name or initial(s), all initials should be found within the words.

Option 4:
After these few weeks of bad news, I was finally able to have a nice night out. I’ve wanted to see the country singer Garth Brooks for years and I was finally able to see him in concert (along with his wife Trisha Yearwood, both of whom are from Oklahoma.) If you have never seen him, I would highly recommend it…he puts on an amazing show!

To honor my love of country music:
*read a book where the Main Character is a musician OR
*a book that takes place in Oklahoma
Required: If the connection is not obvious, explain how your book fits the task when you post.


message 2: by Tara Bieck (last edited Jan 27, 2016 05:31PM) (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Approved Books


Option 1
The Emperor of All Maladies A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee On the Island (On the Island, #1) by Tracey Garvis-Graves The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Option 2
The Salty Dog by Debbie White Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis The Golden Throne (Das kupferne Zeichen #3) by Katia Fox The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) by Arthur Conan Doyle

Option 3
Acceptable if there are multiple authors and only one works for the initials
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

Option 4
Vienna in Violet A Musical Mystery by David W. Frank Damiano (Damiano, #1) by R.A. MacAvoy If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman Johnny Cash The Life by Robert Hilburn Christmas Bells by Jennifer Chiaverini Lick (Stage Dive, #1) by Kylie Scott


message 3: by Tara Bieck (last edited Jan 05, 2016 10:08AM) (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Non-Approved Books

Option 1
We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (person with cancer isn't MC)


message 4: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Reserved


message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10881 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 6: by Kim (last edited Dec 03, 2015 09:00PM) (new)

Kim | 634 comments Please clarify option 3. Do we choose one word or can we use all three? For example, if my author's initials are LRK, can I take the L from dialysis or transplant, the R from transplant and the K from kidney, or do I have to choose an author's initials that are in only one word?

Thank you.


message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 710 comments Tara Jo, I am so sorry you've had such a difficult fall! You have all my best wishes for the health of your husband, your friend, and your dog.

I have a question about Option 1. Would you allow a non-fiction book about cancer, or does the task require a particular main character who is battling the disease? I am wondering specifically if the book The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer would be acceptable. Thanks for your help!


message 8: by puppitypup (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:34PM) (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments For Option 1, can the person battling cancer be in remission? I'm thinking of On the Island where he is in his first summer of remission.


message 9: by puppitypup (last edited Dec 03, 2015 10:44PM) (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Tara, I'm so sorry to hear of all your woes, I pray that the next year brings better news for your husband, your friend and your dog.

Would this work for Option 2, using "American Eskimo Dog" as the breed? The Salty Dog


message 10: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Kim wrote: "Please clarify option 3. Do we choose one word or can we use all three? For example, if my author's initials are LRK, can I take the L from dialysis or transplant, the R from transplant and the K f..."

Initials may be found in any combination of words; so in your example, you may take the LRK from each of the separate words. I'll ask the Mods to clarify/reword! Thanks.


message 11: by Tara Bieck (last edited Dec 03, 2015 11:14PM) (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Christine wrote: "Tara Jo, I am so sorry you've had such a difficult fall! You have all my best wishes for the health of your husband, your friend, and your dog.

I have a question about Option 1. Would you allow a ..."


Thank you for the well wishes. Yes, a non-fiction book is acceptable. I will have this added to the task for clarity. Your example book would work for Option 1.


message 12: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments puppitypup wrote: "For Option 1, can the person battling cancer be in remission? I'm thinking of On the Island where he is in his first summer of remission."

Yes, remission works....proof you CAN kick cancer's butt! I'll have the mods adjust to MC has/has had cancer. Thank you for the kind words.


message 13: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments puppitypup wrote: "Tara, I'm so sorry to hear of all your woes, I pray that the next year brings better news for your husband, your friend and your dog.

Would this work for Option 2, using "American Eskimo Dog" as t..."


Yes, that works.


message 14: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 985 comments Tara Jo - I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. I'm passing along good thoughts for 2016!

For option 2, would the plural of the dog breed be acceptable? I was planning on reading Ten Little Bloodhounds which I've had on my shelf forever!


message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments No questions at the moment Tara Jo but I'm sending you and yours positive thoughts and well wishes! I'm glad you were able to see Garth Brooks, it sounds like a great show.


message 16: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Jamie wrote: "No questions at the moment Tara Jo but I'm sending you and yours positive thoughts and well wishes! I'm glad you were able to see Garth Brooks, it sounds like a great show."

Thanks Jamie! I'd wanted to see him since around 1990, so it was fun to finally see the show!


message 17: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Rebecca NJ wrote: "Tara Jo - I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. I'm passing along good thoughts for 2016!

For option 2, would the plural of the dog breed be acceptable? I was planning on reading [book:Ten Little ..."


Yes, plurals are fine. I'll have that added to the task.

Thanks for the patience, everyone! First time creating a challenge here and just didn't think of all the specifics (even after having participated multiple times myself!! ).


message 18: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments For Option 4: Read a book where the Main Character is a musician, will this book work?

Vienna in Violet A Musical Mystery by David W. Frank

GR description: Hours after Franz Schubert and Johann Michael Vogel perform a commissioned song for a notorious countess, she ends up dead, and the two musicians become the prime suspects.

Thanks!


message 19: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 4: Read a book where the Main Character is a musician, will this book work?

Vienna in Violet A Musical Mystery by David W. Frank

GR description: Hours after Franz Schubert and Joha..."


That would work! Enjoy.


message 20: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Tara Jo wrote: "Pia wrote: "For Option 4: Read a book where the Main Character is a musician, will this book work?

Vienna in Violet A Musical Mystery by David W. Frank

GR description: Hours after Franz Schub..."


Thanks!


message 21: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Checking for option 4:

Damiano

For musician. Description: He was called Damiano Delstrego: wizard's son, alchemist, heir to dark magics. Yet he was also an innocent, a young scholar and musician befriended by the Archangel Raphael, who instructed him in the lute.

Great challenge!


message 22: by Cindy (last edited Dec 05, 2015 01:01AM) (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Checking for option 2. My breed is Bernese Mountain Dog. I'm using "dog" and making it plural to read Fifteen Dogs . Is this ok?

Also, for option 4, is non fiction ok? I'd like to read Johnny Cash: The Life .

Thanks! Fun task. :-)


message 23: by KSMary (last edited Dec 05, 2015 07:50AM) (new)

KSMary | 792 comments Would If I Stay work for Opt 4 Musician as a main character? In book 2 Where She Went it is clear that she is a "rising star at Julliard".


message 24: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Daphne wrote: "Checking for option 4:

Damiano

For musician. Description: He was called Damiano Delstrego: wizard's son, alchemist, heir to dark magics. Yet he was also an innocent, a young schola..."


Yes, that works!


message 25: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Cindy wrote: "Checking for option 2. My breed is Bernese Mountain Dog. I'm using "dog" and making it plural to read Fifteen Dogs . Is this ok?

Also, for option 4, is non fiction ok? I'd like to ..."


Yes Cindy...both options work. Hope you enjoy the Johnny Cash book! I'll have NF added to clarify.


message 26: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments KSMary wrote: "Would If I Stay work for Opt 4 Musician as a main character? In book 2 Where She Went it is clear that she is a "rising star at Julliard"."

Yes, that one will work...what I'll have added to the task criteria is  "if the main character as musician relationship isn't clear include a reference"....if you can link to the 2nd book or a review or something that clarifies the MC is a musician as its not clear from the book's description...it just says she has a love of music. So if you link in your completion claim to book #2 which shows it, that works!

Enjoy!


message 27: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 792 comments Tara Jo wrote: "KSMary wrote: "Would If I Stay work for Opt 4 Musician as a main character? In book 2 Where She Went it is clear that she is a "rising star at Julliard"."

Yes, that o..."


Thank you!


message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Tara Jo wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Checking for option 2. My breed is Bernese Mountain Dog. I'm using "dog" and making it plural to read Fifteen Dogs . Is this ok?

Also, for option 4, is non fiction ok..."


Fantastic! Thanks so much!


message 29: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1640 comments In Christmas Bells one of the main characters is a music teacher and the choir director at a church. Is that good enough for Option 4, or does musician need to be a performer?

I hope next year is better for you!


message 30: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Julia wrote: "In Christmas Bells one of the main characters is a music teacher and the choir director at a church. Is that good enough for Option 4, or does musician need to be a performer?

I ho..."


I will accept that...


message 31: by Tien (last edited Dec 08, 2015 03:23PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments For Option 2, if I choose 'Golden Retriever' -can I just use 'golden'?

The book I'm thinking of is The Golden Throne


message 32: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Tien wrote: "For Option 2, if I choose 'Golden Retriever' -can I just use 'golden'?

The book I'm thinking of is The Golden Throne"

That works!


message 33: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Thanks, Tara Jo!


message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Hi I'm interested in using Illuminae for option 3 however it has two authors. Amie Kaufman fits in Kidney and Dialysis, will this work?


message 35: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "Hi I'm interested in using Illuminae for option 3 however it has two authors. Amie Kaufman fits in Kidney and Dialysis, will this work?"

Hi Amanda-
Since I didn't specify that both authors needed to fit the criteria, I will accept just one working for it. So this book WILL work since Amie Kaufman works. Thanks!


message 36: by Becky P (new)

Becky P (zebrafairy) | 240 comments Hi

For option 4 would Lick work? The guy she marries is the musician and I think one of the two main characters but I just want to double check.


message 37: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Becky P wrote: "Hi

For option 4 would Lick work? The guy she marries is the musician and I think one of the two main characters but I just want to double check."



Yes, that works....from the description of the book One thing is for certain, being married to rock and roll’s favourite son is sure to be a wild ride....plus there is a MP Genre of Music so that falls into it works. Additionally, I've read this series so the MC definitely is a musician! Enjoy!


message 38: by Whitnie (new)

Whitnie | 281 comments Would this book work? His wife had cancer. We Bought a Zoo


message 39: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Whitnie wrote: "Would this book work? His wife had cancer. We Bought a Zoo"

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear this one will work...from the task description:

*Read a book about cancer or one where the main character is battling or has battled cancer (any kind); this must be obvious from the book’s description/metadata

In your linked book it doesn't reference the cancer at all...I found another version that gave more info referring to the wife's brain tumor (We Bought a Zoo) but the wife doesn't appear to be a main character, and I'm not sure the book itself is ABOUT cancer.

I'm not sure when the wife passes (sounds like it's pretty early in the book from that description) so I'm not seeing that she's an MC...sorry.

I haven't read the book, but the movie was really good...hope you find a place to use that book!


message 40: by Claire (last edited Jan 26, 2016 12:19PM) (new)


message 41: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Claire wrote: "Book 1: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Book 2: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle (dog - Afghan Hound)"


Both of those work fine, Claire!


back to top