The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.7 - Coralie's task: Summer at the Stadium

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 06, 2015 03:36PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10891 comments Mod
25.7 - Coralie's task: Summer at the Stadium

We live next door to a football stadium (Australian football that is) and during winter it is busy every weekend with AFL games. But during spring and summer it is used for all sorts of things. So far this spring we have had speedway and UFC. This task is about the summer activities.

This is a two book task. Choose two different options and read one book for each.

Required: State which options you chose when you post.

Option 1. Early in December there will be two AC/DC concerts.
Read a book with a main page genre GLBT.

Option 2. After Christmas there are four Big Bash cricket games.
Read a book with the the name of an insect in the title/subtitle. The generic word "Insect" or "Insects" will also work. eg Lord of the Flies, The Secret Life of Bees, The Mosquito Coast
Not sure if your bug is an insect? Here's a definition: Insect

Option 3. After the cricket there are a couple of A-League soccer games.
Read a book with the first word of the title 'A'. eg A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Spool of Blue Thread, A Little Life

Option 4. Over three days in February there are five displays of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Read a book with someone with a tattoo on the cover. eg
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
Required: Include the cover when you post.

message 3: by Coralie (last edited Jan 04, 2016 02:40AM) (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Not Allowed:

Option 2. Candlemoth
The Beekeeper's Apprentice

Option 4 Written On The Body by Jeanette Winterson

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10891 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Fun! Love, love all the options!

Question about option 2. Would either Candlemoth or For Love of Insects work? Wasn't sure since Candlemoth is one word and the second book doesn't feature a specific insect.

Thanks!

message 6: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Cindy wrote: "Fun! Love, love all the options!

Question about option 2. Would either Candlemoth or For Love of Insects work? Wasn't sure since Candlemoth is one word and the second..."

I will allow 'insects' but not 'candlemoth'.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments yaaas, a task where I can read Laline Paull's The Bees by Laline Paull ! (obviously Option 2, still working on my other reading choice)

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Coralie wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Fun! Love, love all the options!

Question about option 2. Would either Candlemoth or For Love of Insects work? Wasn't sure since Candlemoth is one word ..."

Yay! Thank you!

message 9: by Kim (last edited Dec 03, 2015 02:14PM) (new)

Kim | 634 comments For option 2, does the insect name have to be in English? Papillon is the French word for butterfly.

Thanks

message 10: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Kim wrote: "For option 2, does the insect name have to be in English? Papillon is the French word for butterfly.

Thanks"

I will allow foreign words that are clearly meant to indicate insects.

message 11: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments For number 2 I'm looking at The Ant King: And Other Stories and for #4 Dragon Fall (Black Dragons, #1) by Katie MacAlister .

My brother and I (and assorted in-laws and out-laws) were lucky enough to be in Scotland in August and had tickets to The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. It was fabulous. Wish I had the money to travel to Australia for this one. I loved what I saw of Australia when I visited in 2008.

message 12: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments The Black Butterfly is this good

message 14: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Donna Jo wrote: "For number 2 I'm looking at The Ant King: And Other Stories and for #4 Dragon Fall (Black Dragons, #1) by Katie MacAlister.

My brother and I (and assorted in-laws and out-laws) were lucky enough to be..."

The books work.
My husband is really annoyed that we will actually be in New Zealand when the Royal Edinburgh Military
Tattoo is here.

message 15: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments JennRenee wrote: "The Black Butterfly is this good"

Yes, that' fine.

message 16: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Daphne wrote: "For option 3?

A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie

For option 2?

Lifeblood: How to Change the World One Dead Mosquito at a Time"

You're really testing me here, but I will approve both these books.

message 17: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Coralie wrote: "You're really testing me here, but I will approve both these books. "

Ah, thank you Coralie! My mom said the same thing to me all the time growing up too. ;)

Been sitting on the Lifeblood one for awhile. I'm really happy to have found a spot to stick it - it's not one I've been overly looking forward to, so it keeps getting put in the back of the tbr pile.

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marianne | 110 comments Hi! I was wondering if this cover would fit option 4...
De amor y de sombra by Isabel Allende
It seems like a tattoo on her back, but I'm not so sure... :/
Thanks!

message 19: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Kelly Marianne wrote: "Hi! I was wondering if this cover would fit option 4...
De amor y de sombra by Isabel Allende
It seems like a tattoo on her back, but I'm not so sure... :/
Thanks!"

It looks like a tattoo to me. I will accept it.

message 20: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1672 comments Seeking approval for Option 2

The Firefly Dance

message 21: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval for Option 2

The Firefly Dance"

Yes, that is approved.

message 22: by Trish (last edited Dec 26, 2015 08:10AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2455 comments How about this for tattooed for Option 4? The premise being that the stories in the collection are based on the tattoos which come to life
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

Also, would The Beekeeper's Apprentice work for an insect?

message 23: by Coralie (last edited Dec 26, 2015 12:29PM) (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Yes to The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury as it is a pretty impressive tattoo on his back.

No to The Beekeeper's Apprentice as a beekeeper isn't an insect.

message 24: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Would you accept this as a tattoo? Written On The Body by Jeanette Winterson

message 25: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Nicola wrote: "Would you accept this as a tattoo? Written On The Body by Jeanette Winterson"

I think I will have to say no, it isn't a tattoo. Of course, it does fit option 1.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Please confirm Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance for option 4. The tattoo is a pentagram on the heroine's back.
Thanks.

message 27: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance for option 4. The tattoo is a pentagram on the heroine's back.
Thanks."

Yes, that one works.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Thanks Coralie.

message 30: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Claire wrote: "Option 2: Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Option 3: A Little Love Story by Roland Merullo"

Yes, they work.

message 31: by Cat (last edited Jan 27, 2016 06:31AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments for option 2, I assume it doesn't have to be used as an insect eg fly as a verb, tick as in tick tock?

(obviously, flying wouldn't work, but say, if a title was "Fly Home")

message 32: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments Catherine wrote: "for option 2, I assume it doesn't have to be used as an insect eg fly as a verb, tick as in tick tock?

(obviously, flying wouldn't work, but say, if a title was "Fly Home")"

That is correct. Fly, tick or cricket would work even if they were not referring to the actual insect.

message 33: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2041 comments I will be away for the next three weeks. One of the moderators will be looking after this thread for me. Please be patient.