The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

109 views
WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.2 - Brooke TX's task: It's that time of the year

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 06, 2015 03:16PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10784 comments Mod
25.2 - Brooke TX's task: December: It's that time of the year
This is a two book task. Read two books from two different options below.
REQUIRED: State the options you chose when posting.

This year (like most years) December is an insanely busy month for me. Over the next 31 days, I have:

1. Birthdays: Me, my sister, my mom, and my grandmother all have birthdays within a week of each other (with Christmas smack dab in the middle). In celebration of all those birthday gifts (and parties, and cakes, and SO MANY candles) read a book published the year you were born OR written by an author born the same year you were (for this option, this list may be helpful: Fantastic Fiction: Years).
REQUIRED: Include your birth year, which option you chose, and a reference to the author's birth year if it does not appear the Goodreads profile.

2. Christmas: Like a true bibliophile, last year I gave everyone on my list at least one book for Christmas. For this option, read a book you received as a gift.
REQUIRED: Include who gave you the book in your post.

3. Holiday Vacation: This year, I'm using my holiday time off to visit some old college friends in the city where we went to school: Chicago. In honor of the Second City, read a book with a cityscape or city skyline on the cover. Ex:
Article 5 (Article 5, #1) by Kristen Simmons The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon The City & the City by China Miéville City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett The Poisoner's Handbook Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum Tears of Pearl (Lady Emily, #4) by Tasha Alexander Acceptable Loss (William Monk, #17) by Anne Perry Dark Star (Dark Star, #1) by Bethany Frenette The Stargazey (Richard Jury, #15) by Martha Grimes
REQUIRED: Include cover when posting.

4. New Year's Eve: Finally, it all comes to an end on New Year's Eve. Celebrate the ending of another year by reading the final (or most recently published) book in a series of at least 3 books. The book must be identified on Goodreads as part of a series.
REQUIRED: Include a link to the series Goodreads page in your post. (For example: Cormoran Strike Series)


message 2: by Brooke (last edited Dec 06, 2015 08:50PM) (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Approved for option 3:
The Greater Journey Americans in Paris by David McCullough Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1) by China Miéville Bruno, Chief Of Police (Bruno, Chief of Police #1) by Martin Walker 10 04 by Ben Lerner Luna New Moon by Ian McDonald


message 3: by Brooke (last edited Dec 03, 2015 03:04PM) (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Not approved for option 3:
Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead


message 4: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments hold


message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10784 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) Could option 2 be a book received as a prize? My family doesn't do purchased gifts; we give handmade things :)


message 7: by Pia (last edited Dec 02, 2015 10:39PM) (new)

Pia | 1057 comments For Option 3, cityscape or skyline on cover, will this book work?

Summer Girl (Blood For Blood #1) by Kelly Vero

For Option 4, last books in series:

Secret Exposure (Paula Mitchell, P. I., #3) by Jan Christensen


message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Will this work for option 3?
Bruno, Chief Of Police (Bruno, Chief of Police #1) by Martin Walker


message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments For option 2 - could it be a book/audiobook gifted by an author/narrator?


message 10: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Does Option 1 mean originally published in the year you were born, or the edition you read was published that year?


message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Victoria (RedsCat) wrote: "Could option 2 be a book received as a prize? My family doesn't do purchased gifts; we give handmade things :)"

As long as the book was given to you, it works.


message 12: by Brooke (last edited Dec 03, 2015 02:58PM) (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 3, cityscape or skyline on cover, will this book work?

Summer Girl (Blood For Blood #1) by Kelly Vero

For Option 4, last books in series:

Secret Exposure (Paula Mitchell, P. I., #3) by Jan Christensen"




Yes, both of those will work.


message 13: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Dee wrote: "For option 2 - could it be a book/audiobook gifted by an author/narrator?"

Yes, as long as it was given to you, it works.


message 14: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Lagullande wrote: "Does Option 1 mean originally published in the year you were born, or the edition you read was published that year?"

Originally published the year you were born.


message 15: by Melissa (last edited Dec 03, 2015 11:46AM) (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments For Option 4, does the book need to be a whole-number entry in the series? Example: I've recently finished Lord Dashwood Missed Out (Spindle Cove, #4.5) by Tessa Dare , which publishes 12/8, and it's #4.5 in the Spindle Cove series (https://www.goodreads.com/series/5862...). Are decimals OK? Thanks!


message 16: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Melissa wrote: "For Option 4, does the book need to be a whole-number entry in the series? Example: I've recently finished Lord Dashwood Missed Out (Spindle Cove, #4.5) by Tessa Dare, which publishes 12/8, and it's #4.5 in the ..."

Decimals are fine as long as they meet the length requirements of the challenge.


Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) Thanks very much, Brooke!


message 18: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments If you enlarge the cover, can you see the skyline down at the bottom well enough for it to work for option 3?

Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead

Thank you!


message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments Brooke wrote: "Melissa wrote: "For Option 4, does the book need to be a whole-number entry in the series? Example: I've recently finished Lord Dashwood Missed Out (Spindle Cove, #4.5) by Tessa Dare, which publishes 12/8, and i..."

Excellent, thanks! (I put this in for a length verification and it turned out there was a paperback edition lurking around that hadn't turned up in my search, lol)


message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim | 626 comments Does this work for option 3?

The Greater Journey Americans in Paris by David McCullough

Thanks


message 21: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) Would this work for the cityscape?
Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1) by China Miéville


message 22: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Cindy wrote: "Will this work for option 3?
Bruno, Chief Of Police (Bruno, Chief of Police #1) by Martin Walker"


Yes.


message 23: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Cait wrote: "If you enlarge the cover, can you see the skyline down at the bottom well enough for it to work for option 3?

Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead

Thank you!"


Sorry, this one doesn't work because you can't see enough buildings.


message 24: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Lulu wrote: "Would this work for the cityscape?
Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1) by China Miéville"


Kim wrote: "Does this work for option 3?

The Greater Journey Americans in Paris by David McCullough

Thanks"


These both work.


message 25: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1496 comments 10 04 by Ben Lerner
is this ok for option 3?


message 26: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Meg wrote: "10 04 by Ben Lerner
is this ok for option 3?"


Yes, that works.


message 27: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments For Option 4, may I read Magic Shifts (#8 in the series), as long as I read it before Number 9 is released in 2016?


message 28: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 70 comments Would Luna New Moon by Ian McDonald work for the City skyline? It is easy to see the city on the hardcover (and it shows up on the enlarged cover), but it IS a city on the moon :) Your call! =D


message 29: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments puppitypup wrote: "For Option 4, may I read Magic Shifts (#8 in the series), as long as I read it before Number 9 is released in 2016?"

As long as #8 is the most recently published book as of the date you finish reading, yes.


message 30: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Suzanne wrote: "Would Luna New Moon by Ian McDonald work for the City skyline? It is easy to see the city on the hardcover (and it shows up on the enlarged cover), but it IS a city on the moon :) Your call! =D"

Haha, moon cities are acceptable.


message 31: by Pia (last edited Dec 06, 2015 09:18PM) (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Hi! I just realized that the book I was going to use for this task Summer Girl (Blood For Blood #1) by Kelly Vero is too short (only 86 pages)

Can I use this book instead?

Dead Girl Running by Ann M. Noser


message 32: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Are Kindle freebies eligible for option 2? They have not been given to me by a specific person, but by Amazon (I guess...).


message 33: by Trish (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:35AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2435 comments Would this work? There are elements of the London skyline behind the title, albeit stylised, in the UK edition: Veiled (Alex Verus, #6) by Benedict Jacka


message 34: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Pia wrote: "Hi! I just realized that the book I was going to use for this task Summer Girl (Blood For Blood #1) by Kelly Vero is too short (only 86 pages)

Can I use this book instead?

Dead Girl Running by Ann M. Noser"


Yes, that will work.


message 35: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Camilla wrote: "Are Kindle freebies eligible for option 2? They have not been given to me by a specific person, but by Amazon (I guess...)."

Sorry, no.


message 36: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Trish wrote: "Would this work? There are elements of the London skyline behind the title.Veiled An Alex Verus Novel by Benedict Jacka"

Sorry, there aren't enough buildings in this one.


message 37: by Trish (last edited Dec 07, 2015 07:42AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2435 comments Brooke wrote: "Trish wrote: "Would this work? There are elements of the London skyline behind the title.Veiled An Alex Verus Novel by Benedict Jacka"

Sorry, there aren't enough buildings in this one."


Ah well. Annoyingly it's more obviously London in the US edition of the same book. Veiled by Benedict Jacka

Still looking, so what about The City's Son (The Skyscraper Throne, #1) by Tom Pollock


message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marianne | 110 comments Hi! Would this cover work for option 3?
Seguindo a Correnteza by Agatha Christie


message 39: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Trish wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Trish wrote: "Would this work? There are elements of the London skyline behind the title.Veiled An Alex Verus Novel by Benedict Jacka"

Sorry, there aren't enough buildings in th..."


That one works.


message 40: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Kelly Marianne wrote: "Hi! Would this cover work for option 3?
Seguindo a Correnteza by Agatha Christie"


Yes, this works.


message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marianne | 110 comments Brooke wrote: "Kelly Marianne wrote: "Hi! Would this cover work for option 3?
Seguindo a Correnteza by Agatha Christie"

Yes, this works."


Thank you!


message 42: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1614 comments Does the green section in The Family Three Journeys into the Heart of the Twentieth Century by David Laskin work for Option 3?


message 43: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Julia wrote: "Does the green section in The Family Three Journeys into the Heart of the Twentieth Century by David Laskin work for Option 3?"

Yes, that works.


message 44: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments I was born in 1967 and would like to use author Matt Rees. The only confirmation that I can find is from my public library database here: http://catalog.manhattan.lib.ks.us/po...
He is the first author listed. Is this acceptable?


message 45: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments BookBrowse, Google, and the Guardian agree that he was born in 1967, so that will work.


message 46: by Teodora (new)

Teodora Paslaru | 76 comments I would like to know if any of those two books works for Option 3:
Ex-Libris Ex-Libris by Ross King
Last Light Last Light (Last Light, #1) by Alex Scarrow


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments For option 3, would this work as cityscape : Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews


message 48: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments When the Sacred Ginmill Closes by Lawrence Block - does this work for option 3?


message 49: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Teodora wrote: "I would like to know if any of those two books works for Option 3:
Ex-LibrisEx-Libris by Ross King
Last LightLast Light (Last Light, #1) by Alex Scarrow"


Ex-Libris will work, but Last Light won't (not enough visible buildings.)


message 50: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For option 3, would this work as cityscape : Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews"

Yes, that will work.


« previous 1
back to top