The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.1 - Beth_NC's task: Art of Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 03, 2015 06:57AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10801 comments Mod
25.1 - Beth_NC's task: Art of Reading
Impressionist Art is very distinct and unique, let’s take those ideas and put them into our reading.
This is a TWO book task. Pick 2 different options and read a book from each.
REQUIRED: State which options you chose when posting.

Option A: Impressionism is centered around normal every day activities. Read a book that shows people participating in activities in an outdoor setting on the cover.
REQUIRED: Include the cover when you post.

Option B: Impressionism includes the play of light. Read a book that shows the sun or the moon on the cover.
REQUIRED: Include the cover when you post.

Option C: Impressionist painters used short strokes and dobs to paint their pictures. Read an anthology or a book of short stories or essays that are built around the same theme. A theme is a central idea or a particular subject. So, something like Must Love Hellhounds because all the stories feature hellhounds. A collection of stories written by the same author or that fit the same genre is not a theme.
REQUIRED: State the theme.

Option D: Impressionism began in France in the 1800’s. For this option, read a book set entirely in France between 1800 and 1899. The majority of the book must be set during the 1800-1899 time period.

Option E: Impressionism derived from the title of a Claude Monet work, Impression, Sunrise. For this task, read a book that has a title that contains the letters: M-O-N-E-T. The letters can appear in any order and they can appear more than once within the title. These letters must appear in the title. Subtitles and series titles are not included for use in this option.

message 2: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Dec 06, 2015 04:52AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments These work
Option A:
The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry Series #4) by Michael Koryta My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1) by Elena Ferrante A Good Walk Spoiled Days and Nights on the PGA Tour by John Feinstein The Postman by David Brin The Good Earth (House of Earth, #1) by Pearl S. Buck Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane, #1) by Kristin Hannah Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1) by Tamora Pierce Winterkill (Winterkill, #1) by Kate A. Boorman The Perfume Garden by Kate Lord Brown The Girl from the Train by Irma Joubert Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) by MaryJanice Davidson The Orphans of Race Point by Patry Francis The Notting Hill Mystery (British Library Crime Classics) by Charles Warren Adams
Option B:
The Penguin Book of Witches by Katherine Howe Midnight by Dean Koontz A Thread Unbroken by Kay Bratt The Undead Kama Sutra (Felix Gomez, #3) by Mario Acevedo Treasure of Khan (Dirk Pitt, #19) by Clive Cussler House Of Sand And Fog by Andre Dubus III Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Option C:
Wastelands II More Stories of the Apocalypse by John Joseph Adams The Penguin Book of Witches by Katherine Howe Hauntings by Ellen Datlow Chicks Ahoy! (Chicks in Chainmail, #1-3) by Esther M. Friesner Unnatural Creatures by Neil Gaiman Redeployment by Phil Klay Division A Collection of Science Fiction Fairytales by Lee S. Hawke HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects by John Joseph Adams Man V. Nature by Diane Cook Future Visions Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft by Elizabeth Bear

Option D:
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas Spirit of Lost Angels by Liza Perrat Les Misérables by Victor Hugo Mistress of the Revolution by Catherine Delors The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan The Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore Marie, Dancing by Carolyn Meyer

Option E:
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss NaME Of The wind
The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) by Kim Harrison ThE Outlaw deMoN wails
My Name Is Resolute by Nancy E. Turner My NamE is resOluTe
Men of Tomorrow Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book by Gerard Jones MEN Of Tomorrow
On Mystic Lake by Kristin Hannah ON MysTic lakE

message 3: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Dec 06, 2015 04:52AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments These don't work:

Option A: Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7) by Dean Koontz Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks A Walk in the Woods Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson

Option B: Luna New Moon by Ian McDonald Sweet & Sassy Anthology Hidden Identities by Paige Timothy Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford Under the Dome by Stephen King The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga, #1) by Mary Stewart My Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1) by Dan Simmons

Option C: Eats Shoots and Leaves, by Truss Lynne
H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror by Stephen Jones The Penguin Book of Horror Stories by J.A. Cuddon The Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 2 by Trisha Telep Different Seasons by Stephen King Trigger Warning Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman

Option D:

Option E:

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10801 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Sheila (last edited Dec 03, 2015 09:05AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Would this work for your Option A?

The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry Series #4) by Michael Koryta The Silent Hour by Michael Koryta or Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7) by Dean Koontz

Walking in the outdoors. I wasn't sure if you wanted more than 1 person for this or if a solitary person worked.

Thanks Beth

message 6: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) Would this work for B?

Luna New Moon by Ian McDonald

It's the moon, but just not from the perspective we usually see it (that is, close up and colonised).

message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments I am assuming that this is a moon based on the tile of the book: Midnight by Dean Koontz

message 8: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Will the Apocalypse count as a theme for Option 3?

Wastelands II: More Stories of the Apocalypse

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 628 comments Will this work for either option B or C?

The Penguin Book of Witches by Katherine Howe

How about this for option 3?

Hauntings by Ellen Datlow

Thank you

message 10: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Sheila wrote: "Would this work for your Option A?

The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry Series #4) by Michael Koryta The Silent Hour by Michael Koryta or Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7) by Dean Koontz

Walking in the outdoors. I..."

Yes we can do outdoor activities alone
The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry Series #4) by Michael Koryta definitely works
Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7) by Dean Koontz does not seem to show a true outdoor scene

message 11: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Lulu wrote: "Would this work for B?

Luna New Moon by Ian McDonald

It's the moon, but just not from the perspective we usually see it (that is, close up and colonised)."

No the idea is to show that the sun and moon shine light.
Sorry

message 12: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Bea wrote: "I am assuming that this is a moon based on the tile of the book: Midnight by Dean Koontz"

Yes, this works

message 13: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Fandury wrote: "Will the Apocalypse count as a theme for Option 3?

Wastelands II: More Stories of the Apocalypse"

Yes, the Apocalypse is a theme

message 14: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Kim wrote: "Will this work for either option B or C?

The Penguin Book of Witches by Katherine Howe

Yes this would work for both options

How about this for option 3?

Hauntings by Ellen Datlow
This one does work for Option 3

message 15: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Option A -activities in outdoor setting -doesn't have to be sports, yes?

I'm thinking beach weddings like My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1) by Elena Ferrante ?

message 16: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 872 comments I think these are ok, but wanted to confirm

Option A: A Good Walk Spoiled Days and Nights on the PGA Tour by John Feinstein

Option B: Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Thx!

message 17: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments May I use Chicks Ahoy! (Chicks in Chainmail, #1-3) by Esther M. Friesner ; the theme is fantasy heroines who can kick butt on their own.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments for option 3 - Daughters of Darkness - theme being all of women who were a different daughter born to Vald the Impaler

or Small Town Summer - all romances set in small towns - is that close enough?

message 19: by puppitypup (last edited Dec 03, 2015 09:11PM) (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Would this work for Option A? I believe she's walking.

Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey

And this for Option B?

Sweet & Sassy Anthology Hidden Identities by Paige Timothy

message 20: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 45 comments Would these work for Option C?

Unnatural Creatures (Theme: unnatural creatures)

Redeployment (Theme: Afrghanistan and Iraq Wars)

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation (Theme: punctuation)

Thank you!

message 21: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Question about option E: the task says "read a book that has a title (title only, no subtitles) that contains the letters: M-O-N-E-T." Is it still okay to read a book with a subtitle, just that all the letters have to be found in the title, i.e. the subtitle may not be used?

message 22: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Looking for approval for these:

Option A: activity: riding
The Postman by David Brin

Option C: theme: science fiction stories inspired by fairytales
Division: A Collection of Science Fiction Fairytales

message 23: by Trish (last edited Dec 04, 2015 04:06AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Would this work for Option 3? HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects. GR description: "an anthology of science fiction/fantasy stories told in the form of fictional crowdfunding project pitches, using the components (and restrictions) of the format to tell the story."

message 24: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Tien wrote: "Option A -activities in outdoor setting -doesn't have to be sports, yes?

I'm thinking beach weddings like My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1) by Elena Ferrante?"

Yes this is perfect

message 25: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Ann A wrote: "I think these are ok, but wanted to confirm

Option A: A Good Walk Spoiled Days and Nights on the PGA Tour by John Feinstein

Option B: Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Thx!"

Yes they both work

message 26: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Donna Jo wrote: "May I use Chicks Ahoy! (Chicks in Chainmail, #1-3) by Esther M. Friesner; the theme is fantasy heroines who can kick butt on their own."

Yes that is a theme

message 27: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Dec 04, 2015 05:08AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Dee wrote: "for option 3 - Daughters of Darkness - theme being all of women who were a different daughter born to Vald the Impaler

or Small Town Summer - all romances set in sm..."

Yes these work as long as you get ebook approved

message 28: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Maddie wrote: "Would these work for Option C?

Unnatural Creatures (Theme: unnatural creatures)

Yes this one works

Redeployment (Theme: Afrghanistan and Iraq Wars)

This one works also
[book:Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The ..."

This one does not seem to be short stories with a theme to me, sorry

message 29: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Camilla wrote: "Question about option E: the task says "read a book that has a title (title only, no subtitles) that contains the letters: M-O-N-E-T." Is it still okay to read a book with a subtitle, just that all..."

Yes, as long as the letters are all found in the title, the book can have a subtitle.

message 30: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Dec 04, 2015 05:13AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Camilla wrote: "Looking for approval for these:

Option A: activity: riding
The Postman by David Brin

Option C: theme: science fiction stories inspired by fairytales
[book:Division: A Collection of Science F..."

s)

Yes these work as long as ebook is approved

message 31: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Trish wrote: "Would this work for Option 3? HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects. GR description: "an anthology of science fiction/fantasy stories told in the form ..."

s)

Yes this one works

message 32: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Beth wrote: "Trish wrote: "Would this work for Option 3? HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects. GR description: "an anthology of science fiction/fantasy stories tol...

Yes this one works "

Thanks

message 33: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Dec 04, 2015 04:59AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments puppitypup wrote: "Would this work for Option A? I believe she's walking.

Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey

She seems to be standing in doorway, not really an outdoor activity

And this for Option B?

Sweet & Sassy Anthology Hidden Identities by Paige Timothy"

s)

The task states it shows a sun or moon, I did not see those in this picture

message 34: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Trish wrote: "Beth wrote: "Trish wrote: "Would this work for Option 3? HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects. GR description: "an anthology of science fiction/fantas..."

Make sure to get ebook approved

message 35: by Lljones (new)

Lljones Does this work for Option C (theme = man versus nature)?

Man V. Nature

message 36: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Beth wrote: "Trish wrote: "Beth wrote: "Trish wrote: "Would this work for Option 3? HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects. GR description: "an anthology of science ...

Make sure to get ebook approved "

Already done a while ago - just been looking for somewhere to use it.

message 37: by Narumon (new)

Narumon Assuming I get this e-book approved for length, would it work for Option C? Future Visions Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft by Elizabeth Bear . The would be future technology, I think. Thanks!

message 38: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Lljones wrote: "Does this work for Option C (theme = man versus nature)?

Man V. Nature"

Yes this works

message 39: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Narumon wrote: "Assuming I get this e-book approved for length, would it work for Option C? Future Visions Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft by Elizabeth Bear. The would be future technology, I th..."

Yes this works

message 40: by Christine (last edited Dec 04, 2015 01:36PM) (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 87 comments Would This The Perfume Garden by Kate Lord Brown or this Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1) by Tamora Pierce or this Winterkill (Winterkill, #1) by Kate A. Boorman work for option A?

message 41: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Christine wrote: "Would This The Perfume Garden by Kate Lord Brown or this Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1) by Tamora Pierce or this Winterkill (Winterkill, #1) by Kate A. Boorman work for option A?"

Yes these all work

message 42: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Would this book work for Option 1?

The girl is running beside a train

The Girl from the Train by Irma Joubert

message 43: by Marscha (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 407 comments Will Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) by MaryJanice Davidson work for option A?

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan Wojtas | 245 comments Will this work for option A?

The Orphans of Race Point by Patry Francis

Thanks!

message 45: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1621 comments Does The Notting Hill Mystery by Charles Warren Adams work for Option A?

message 46: by June (new)

June | 137 comments Does Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1) by Dan Simmons work for option B?

message 47: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Seeking approval for this book for Option C

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R.R. Martin

message 48: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Dec 06, 2015 04:47AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Marscha wrote: "Will Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) by MaryJanice Davidson work for option A?"

yes

message 49: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Pia wrote: "Would this book work for Option 1?

The girl is running beside a train

The Girl from the Train by Irma Joubert"

yes this works

message 50: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Susan wrote: "Will this work for option A?

The Orphans of Race Point by Patry Francis

Thanks!"

Yes it works

« previous 1 3