She-Geeks discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
Sci-fi & Fantasy Literature > December 2015 Read: An Ember in the Ashes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

K.N. (karmaplace) Happy reading and mark your spoilers, please!

K.N. (karmaplace) I just started reading this. So far it's got great world-building; I'm intrigued! Has anyone else picked this up?

K.N. (karmaplace) There are love triangles in this...they could have been worse, but they were still probably the worst part of the book... That being said, I loved everything else, and I'm super excited for the second book!

If anyone would like a similar-flavored YA recommendation, this reminded me quite a bit (in terms of fully-fleshed Roman-inspired world, action, and good writing) of Red Rising, though Red Rising is admittedly not anywhere near as good as populating and fleshing-out female characters as Ember was, bah.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 12 comments I'm just starting this book! Anything I should watch for? Will it make me want to throw a thing?

K.N. (karmaplace) Hmm... Teen romances and books with love triangles usually get tossed away as soon as they rear their cliched heads, whether I've finished the book or not. Not only did I not toss this, I (for the most part) really enjoyed the book.

Hopefully you won't end up wanting to throw a thing, just be aware that a) Not only is there a love triangle, there are two and b) Beautiful teens with hormones...(sigh)

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 12 comments I just finished this book, and I'm glad I did. I didn't throw a thing.
I was hesitant when I heard about the love triangles, but I'm glad it was still Romanesque, hinting towards murder, poisons, rape, war, but still very YA in that it didn't go into gory detail.

K.N. (karmaplace) Whoo, I'm glad you liked it! It definitely had some great Romanesque world-building! I loved the fantasy elements as well like the masks (pretty creepy) and prophets (can't remember what they were called in the book) and the creatures too.

It also followed the standard YA "trials"/deadly games format, yet I wasn't bored once!

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 12 comments Yes, I agree. The Augurs were creepy. The masks reminded me of the silver masked ninjas in the movie 300.
I want an origins story of Cook. She seems so bad ass.