2021 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2016 > February Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Hi Everyone,

It is time to start nominating books for our February 2016 group read. I am excited to see what you come up with for the theme. Our theme for the month is history.

The theme is completely open to interpretation. As long as you can tell us why you think it should fit the theme, it counts. Please state why the book you are nominating fits the theme. I am looking forward to seeing what books you nominate!

Please nominate only one book and ensure you either link the book or give the name of the author as well to avoid confusion. Please do not nominate books from a series, unless it is the first book in the series. You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your own. Nominations cannot have been chosen for a past group read (past buddy reads are fine).

This thread will be closed by December 22, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments I nominate The Fantastic Laboratory of Dr. Weigl: How Two Brave Scientists Battled Typhus and Sabotaged the Nazis. Because... science and terrible disease and world war! History smorgasboard!

message 3: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 496 comments I could nominate so many books for this theme! I'm going to go with Dreaming the Eagle Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) by Manda Scott ,about Boudicca, one woman I wish there was so much more information about.

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 784 comments I nominate Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival. The stories of westward expansion in the United States are so interesting.

message 5: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Dec 01, 2015 08:55AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4533 comments I nominate: Schindler's Ark (Coronet Books) by Thomas Keneally Schindler's Ark

Also released as Shindler's List.

Because some history should not be forgotten..

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 784 comments Winter wrote: "I nominate: Schindler's Ark (Coronet Books) by Thomas Keneally Schindler's Ark

Because some history should not be forgotten.."

I already made a nomination but I would be really happy to read this as well. Good nomination.

message 8: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 1034 comments If it is not selected for the group read in January, I'd love to read Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption to fit the history theme.

message 9: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'll second Schindler's List. I've had that one on my shelf for ages, and I know it's important to get to it.

message 10: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3957 comments Well, because it just won the historical fiction category of the choice awards, I'm going to nominate The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.

message 11: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6243 comments I'll nominate The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. It's historical fiction, won a good chunk of awards, and has 3.9 stars on Goodreads.

message 12: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Thank you so much for so many nominations on the first day! I love the enthusiasm :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

message 14: by Chloé (new)

Chloé (fullmetalclo) | 573 comments The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Historical fiction set in WWII

message 15: by patricia (new)

patricia | 13 comments I'd like to nominate The Edge of Eternity by Ken Follet. It is the third book in the trilogy. This last installment weaves actual history and fiction seamlessly. This one covers the cold war era, the civil rights movement, and ends with the 2008 presidential inauguration. It can be read as a stand alone.

message 16: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments patricia wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Edge of Eternity by Ken Follet. It is the third book in the trilogy. This last installment weaves actual history and fiction seamlessly. This one covers the cold war era, t..."

I don't think we can accept this one. Even if it can be read as a stand alone, there would be many members who would have wanted to read book 1 and 2 first. Sorry :( Please feel free to either nominate another book or second a book.

message 17: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 16 comments I would like to nominate The Witches Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

Nonfiction historical book covering the Salem witch trials.

message 18: by Ornina (new)

Ornina | 40 comments frugalitymom wrote: "I would like to nominate The Witches Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

Nonfiction historical book covering the Salem witch trials."

I second that... I have been wanting to read this book for awhile now. Great choice :)

message 19: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3738 comments Winter wrote: "I nominate: Schindler's Ark (Coronet Books) by Thomas Keneally Schindler's Ark

Because some history should not be forgotten.."

I'll second this nomination.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

frugalitymom wrote: "I would like to nominate The Witches Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

ooo. I second that one, too. (Or is it third?)

message 21: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 16 comments Ornina wrote: "frugalitymom wrote: "I would like to nominate The Witches Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

I second that... I have been wanting to re..."

Thank you, it's on the top of my list to read.

message 22: by Claude (new)

Claude Bunce (kablammo55) | 109 comments I would like to nominate A Place of Greater Safety. Hilary Mantel writing about the French Revolution, what's not to love?

message 23: by Melody (new)

Melody (unpaintedmelody) | 8 comments I second Chloe's nomination of The Nightingale

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate ✨ is a dreamer frugalitymom wrote: "I would like to nominate The Witches Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

I second this

message 25: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 280 comments I'd like to nominate Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, the Goodreads Choice Award winner for History & Biography. I heard great things about this book all year and it's been on my to-read list.

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patea) | 167 comments I second 'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah.

message 27: by Alex (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) | 277 comments Third for 'The Nightengale'

message 28: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments I am going to nominate Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. The description explains it as the rise of civilization. It has been in my closet for many years. I would love to finally read this one.

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  | 976 comments I am torn between Schindler's List and The Witches: Salem, 1692. Either one of those would be fine with me.

message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  | 976 comments Jodi wrote: "I am going to nominate Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. The description explains it as the rise of civilization. It has been in my closet for many years. I would lo..."

That is such an interesting book. Even if it isn't picked you should definitely read it. Absolutely fascinating.

message 31: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 784 comments Stephanie (R-A) wrote: "Jodi wrote: "I am going to nominate Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. The description explains it as the rise of civilization. It has been in my closet for many year..."

I just added this to my TBR list a couple of days ago. It really does look interesting.

message 32: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I'll also go for the Nightingale

message 33: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (fetchsomepopcorn) | 26 comments E. Larson In the Garden of Beasts,=. anything WW I or II would be good. That's my two cents

message 34: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments That's a great suggestion! I loved The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America and have been wanting to read more of his books.

message 35: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Nikki wrote: "E. Larson In the Garden of Beasts,=. anything WW I or II would be good. That's my two cents"

Nikki, I have wanted to read this one since it came out! Good choice. I will have a hard time voting when this poll comes out!

message 36: by Aysegul (new)

Aysegul | 30 comments I would like to nominate a nonfiction from Yuval Harari:
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

I find it as a very interesting view of human history, but never had time to read the whole book.

message 37: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments I'd love to read that one, Aysegul. Lots of great nominations for this!

message 38: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments We do have some interesting suggestions. I love reading about history! Keep the suggestions coming :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll vote for Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

message 40: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 20 comments Great suggestion Kara! I've been wanting to read The Nightingale for a while. I vote for that.

message 41: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments I nominate Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's a long and dense book, but it has great historical information on the US during the time preceding and during Lincoln's presidency.

message 42: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments ReGina wrote: "I nominate Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's a long and dense book, but it has great historical information on the US during the time..."

I read the John Adams biography several years ago. It was an interesting time. I think it would be interesting reading about Abraham Lincoln too.

message 43: by patricia (new)

patricia | 13 comments I would nominate Light one Candle, this book describes the first year of the Pilgrims in the Massachusetts colony. It will hold your interest. another one would be In the Garden of the Beasts. This takes place in Nazi Germany before the war and tells about the American ambassador and his family. What they witnessed.

message 44: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments I second The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America but I actually wouldnt be against doing two reads like we did one month. Schindler's List is also a good call

message 45: by Jodi (last edited Dec 15, 2015 06:26PM) (new)

message 46: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments i will look through my books and let you know sorry for the confusion

message 47: by xo Jules (last edited Jan 01, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

xo Jules I've got to 2nd the nomination of The History of Love"the history of love" by Nicole Krauss for February's group reason. The reviews sound amazing. It has the word history in the title & February is the month of Love

message 48: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Hi Everyone,

Just a few more days for nominations. There are lots of good books around our theme, "history". Please get your nominations in.

message 49: by Justin (last edited Dec 20, 2015 02:13AM) (new)

Justin (jbradley86) I would like to nominate Bernard Cornwell- Azincourt as ive been meaning to read more of bernard cornwells work and his accuracy with historical fiction is incredible.
Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell

message 50: by Ceira (new)

Ceira (candyceira) | 167 comments I nominate:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee by Harper Lee

This book is a historical classic and therefore I really want to read it ;)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.