David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Monthly Reading Challenges > December Challenge--Finish Your Goals for 2015!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Dec 01, 2015 06:40AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
This month's challenge is all about trying to finish up all our reading goals we so excitedly made the beginning of the year. If you are like me, you probably got excited and made a ton, then got off track by June! LOL

All you have to do to participate is to make a post listing what goals you'd still like to finish by the end of the year. You can even make new ones if you want. You can make it a number of books you want to read, or list specific books, or if you are participating in any year long challenges (Like the ABC challenges) and what you have left. Up to you on how you do it! Set your own challenge. Then try and finish your goals, and keep us all updated on your progress! The idea is to motivate each other :)

1-2 goals finished--First Rate Reader
3-4 goals finished--Reading Genius
5-6 goals finished--Reading Wizard
7-9 goals finished--Reading Champion
10 + goals finished--Reading Guru

message 2: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Dec 04, 2015 12:59PM) (new)

I'm going for Reading Champion.

My Goals

Read 1 Nonfiction Book
Read 3 Adult Books
Read my "Y" book for the ABC Challenge
Finish my HP readalong
Finish the Nicholas Flamel series (5 books)
Finish the Mara Dyer series (1 book)
Finish The Eden series (2 books)
Read all my PIFM books (4 left)

message 3: by Leigh (last edited Dec 31, 2015 03:56AM) (new)

Leigh | 403 comments I'm in.

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! December Challenge--Finish Your Goals for 2015!

Level: Reading Champion

Completed: 7/8

Read last 2 books in Mythos Academy Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5) by Jennifer Estep 12/7 Killer Frost (Mythos Academy, #6) by Jennifer Estep12/13
Finish The Grisha series (1) Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) by Leigh Bardugo 12/25
Finish The Ascendance Trilogy (2) The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2) by Jennifer A. Nielsen 12/28 The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3) by Jennifer A. Nielsen 12/30
Finish Romance Readers Reading Challenges 2015 Chubby Chunkster Challenge
(1) Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas 12/3
Finish Pick It For Me Sign Ups: November/December (2)

Ice Like Fire (Snow Like Ashes, #2) by Sara Raasch 12/23

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments The only challenge I need to complete is a 50 things reading challenge I'm doing on another group. I'm not going to get it all done, but there are two books I have that will work for two of the bits I'm missing, so I'd like to at least get those read in time.

message 5: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Victoria wrote: "The only challenge I need to complete is a 50 things reading challenge I'm doing on another group. I'm not going to get it all done, but there are two books I have that will work for two of the bit..."

Awesome!

message 6: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Leigh wrote: "I'm in."

Woot!

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments My goal for the month is to read 9 books in order to reach my goal of 50 books for the year. I'm going to try to finish a book every 3 days in order to reach the goal on time, so wish me luck! :D

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I finished one adult book, so working good on that goal! The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

And reading Virginia Woolf by Nigel Nicolson for my nonfiction goal :)

message 9: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "My goal for the month is to read 9 books in order to reach my goal of 50 books for the year. I'm going to try to finish a book every 3 days in order to reach the goal on time, so wish me luck! :D"

Good luck Brigid!

message 10: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments Thanks Jenny. :) I'm already falling behind on that goal, lol ... Maybe I'll read a bunch of really short books.

message 11: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Whatever works, right? LOL

message 12: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments Yes indeed. :D

message 13: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments 1. Finish The Darkest Minds trilogy.

2. Finish The 5th Wave.

3. Just in general taper off my to read list.

Rianna *Hermione* B (hermione617) | 10 comments Storm wrote: "1. Finish The Darkest Minds trilogy.

2. Finish The 5th Wave.

3. Just in general taper off my to read list."

I read the first Darkest Minds book this year. DIdn't know until I finished the book that it was a series & how ridiculous the last few pages were. I was VERY upset to say the least.

& 2. Since I saw the movie trailer, I wanted to read The 5th Wave. Plan on reading it before I watch the movie. :)

message 15: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Storm wrote: "1. Finish The Darkest Minds trilogy.

2. Finish The 5th Wave.

Some nice goals!

Rianna *Hermione* B (hermione617) | 10 comments On other note, I surpassed my Goodreads book goal: 20 books. I'm at 24. :D

That was really my only goal.. oh, & start reading the final Heroes of Olympus ( The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5) by Rick Riordan ) which I have started reading ... this month. :)

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Nice Rianna!

message 18: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I made my Goodreads reading goal too. I originally set it a 100, since I struggled meeting it last year, but I surpassed that pretty quick, so I moved it up to 150 and left it. I think I've read 219 books so far this year! WOOT! I killed it :)

message 19: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 403 comments Jenny wrote: "I made my Goodreads reading goal too. I originally set it a 100, since I struggled meeting it last year, but I surpassed that pretty quick, so I moved it up to 150 and left it. I think I've read 21..."

That's great! I still have 14 books to meet my goal. Hopefully I can complete that.

message 20: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Jenny wrote: "Storm wrote: "1. Finish The Darkest Minds trilogy.

2. Finish The 5th Wave.

Some nice goals!"

Thanks. Figure just in general nothing too crazy since I already finished my reading challenge for the year and made it past it. No stress just fun.

Rianna - I knew it was a trilogy but I wanted to get a feel for it before I went nuts. I went back out and bought the next two books but got caught up with other reads.

message 21: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Leigh wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I made my Goodreads reading goal too. I originally set it a 100, since I struggled meeting it last year, but I surpassed that pretty quick, so I moved it up to 150 and left it. I thin..."

Good luck!

message 22: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Marlene wrote: "I've read 255 books and my goal was only 200 so I'm fine on that but my goal is to now read everything Chris Bohjalian has written since I loved "Close your eyes, hold hands" so much."

Nice job Marlene!!

message 23: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments Well done to those who managed to read more than their goals for the Goodreads yearly reading challenge.

I completed my Goodreads reading challenge ages ago too. I originally set it to 150, because I struggled to meet the higher goal I'd set last year, and had several things going on that I thought would slow my reading down (like a move) and when I saw I was doing better than expected, I changed it to 200. Except I reached 200 back in August, and have now read over 300 books this year. Admittedly several were short books, but there were also some that were quite long, and a large number were somewhere in the middle with page counts. Anyway, I ended up reading a lot more than I expected to this year.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Good one Jenny!!

Just off the top of my head:
Finish the A-Z Challenge. I need a Q and a Y.
Finish my last PIFM book.
I'm on track for my 150 books for 2015, so hopefully stay with it.
Finish my Harry Potter readathon. 1/2 through the final book so should make it.
I have 2 eARCs to finish (I know I'll get one done for sure. Hope I get through the 2nd.)
Finish Winter.

That's 8 to finish. *fingers crossed* :)

message 25: by Drishti (last edited Jan 02, 2016 01:54AM) (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 20 comments Books read : 9/9

Goals
1. My goal is to read the following for buddy reads:
Fangirl
Winger
Jane Eyre
Sense and sensibility
We were Liars
Eleanor and Park
City of Bones
Looking for Alaska

2. Read borrowed books.
The Best of Me

message 26: by Ashly (last edited Jan 02, 2016 10:02AM) (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) 3-4 goals finished--Reading Genius

2/3 Read

My Goal is to read these books.

The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett 12/11 (4 Stars)
Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson 12/31 (4.5 Stars)
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

Reading Steelheart & Grasshopper Jungle will complete my goals of reading a book from these two authors. And they was picked for me in the 'Pick It For Me Challenge'.

Good Luck Everyone!!

message 27: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Nice Ashly! I loved Steelheart :)

Finish the A-Z Challenge. I need a Q and a Y.
Finish my Harry Potter readathon. 1/2 through the final book so should make it. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling
I have 2 eARCs to finish (I know I'll get one done for sure. Hope I get through the 2nd.)
Finish Winter.

1 down! I'm a First-Rate Reader :)

message 29: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Nice job Karen! I'm working on my nonfiction book right now and my PIFM books :) Oh, and HP, but I don't think I'm going to get it finished before the end of the month. Oh, well!

message 30: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments Great job, Karen!

Good luck getting your challenges completed, everyone! :)

message 31: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments Good news––it turns out I don't need to read as many books as I thought I had to! There were a couple books I'd forgotten I'd read which I added, so I'm at 46/50. I've read 3 books this month and I need 4 more.

Books read so far:

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1) by Rick Riordan We Were Here by Matt de la Pena The Penderwicks A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1) by Jeanne Birdsall

And to finish my goal, I plan to read:

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2) by Jeanne Birdsall The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman Wolf By Wolf (Wolf By Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin Dumplin' by Julie Murphy

I'm 3 books behind on my challenge of 150 books for 2015 but have a couple of novellas to read that should help me catch up. ;) I read quite a few really LONG books these last few months or would have been on target.

message 33: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I finished a PIFM book today!

My Goals

Read 1 Nonfiction Book
Read 3 Adult Books
Finish my HP readalong
Read all my PIFM books (3 left)

message 34: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments Well, good luck completing your goals by the end of the month everyone.

message 35: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments Yay, Jenny! :D

I finished The Sleeper and the Spindle this morning, so I just have three books left to go.

message 36: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments I finnished So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, which was one of the books I needed to read (for a book first published the year I was born). Now I just need to read The Carpet People (for a popular author's first book). Then I'll be done with the ones I want to make certain I finnish for the parts of that 50 things reading challenge I'm doing.

I also now have a challenge going where I need to read a book with snow or Christmas in it before the end of the month - or one for each of the two themes, if I have time to do so. I haven't decided which book - or books - I'll read for it though... Just whichever suitable book I find first among the ones on my Kindle that I haven't read yet, I suppose.

Finish the A-Z Challenge. I need a Q and a Y. Done Queen Song (Red Queen, #0.1) by Victoria Aveyard The Young World (The Young World, #1) by Chris Weitz
Finish my Harry Potter readathon. 1/2 through the final book so should make it. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling
Finish Winter.

3 down! I'm a Reading Genius :)

message 38: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments Awesome, Karen!

message 39: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny wrote: "I finished a PIFM book today!

My Goals

Read 1 Nonfiction Book
Read 3 Adult Books
Finish my HP readalong
Finish ..."

I finished my 2nd adult read!

message 40: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments That's great, Jenny! :)

message 41: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Mandoki (mjmandoki) | 16 comments I am going for the humble First Rate Reader.

My goal is simple:
Finish up the two books I am currently reading.
Finish writing chapter two of my next book.
Survive the holiday.

All the best to all my friends on Goodreads, all readers and all writers! Happy holidays!

M. J. Mandoki

Perfect M.J.!!

message 43: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

M.J. wrote: "I am going for the humble First Rate Reader.

My goal is simple:
Survive the holiday.

All the best to al..."

Happy Holidays :)

message 44: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments M.J. wrote: "I am going for the humble First Rate Reader.

My goal is simple:
Survive the holiday.

All the best to al..."

Good call on the goal!

Happy holidays to you too.

message 45: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

My Goals

Read 1 Nonfiction Book
Read 3 Adult Books
Finish my HP readalong
Read all my PIFM books (3 left)

Well, I've finished one goal! So I'm First Rate Reader so far!

message 46: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments Well done, Jenny!

message 47: by Victoria (last edited Dec 23, 2015 01:57PM) (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments As I mentioned in my last update on this thread, my two books to finnish turned in to three or four (depending on whether I wanted to do just snow, just Christmas, or both). Well, I've now completed three of the four books:

I read So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish for a book first published the year I was born. I also read The Entirely Strange and Miraculously True Christmas Tails of MIA and Eve for a book with snow in the story, and Merry Christmas, Mister Wolf for a book with Christmas in the story.

Now I just need to read The Carpet People for a popular author's first book.

message 48: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Thanks Victoria! You as well :)

message 49: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4469 comments Thanks, Jenny! :)

message 50: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Dec 23, 2015 08:37PM) (new)

My Goals

Read 1 Nonfiction Book
Read 3 Adult Books
Finish my HP readalong
Read all my PIFM books (2 left)

2 goals done! So I'm First Rate Reader so far!

« previous 1