YA and Beyond discussion

RECOMMENDATIONS > Best Reads of 2015

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
Well the year is winding down. Looking back what were some of the best books you have read this past year (current releases or not:)

I think I might have a few of our hidden gem book reads on my list.

message 2: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Holy crap it's December. I'll have to go look at my list/s lol

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
Yikes, I can't believe it's already December! Well, here are a bunch of books I enjoyed reading this year. Some are from this year, others are older. :D

Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby Yes Please by Amy Poehler The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3) by Susan Ee The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness True Grit by Charles Portis 100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han Stand-Off (Winger, #2) by Andrew Smith All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2) by Libba Bray Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman When I Was the Greatest by Jason Reynolds All American Boys by Jason Reynolds

Hopefully I'll have a few more to add by the end of the year. ;)

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Glad to see Winger was one of your faves, Heidi! And you must read the sequel, it's so good. :D I need to finish the Unwind books ... that's one of my goals for 2016, haha.

I have the sequel in my upcoming line up Brigid! Thanks to you for nominating it :) Yes. Must finish Unwind.

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Hooray! I'm excited to see what you think of it. :)

message 8: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie FINISH UNWIND. That series is IN. CRE. DI. BLE.

my list--
Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman - this whole series was phenomenal
Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin - same for this trilogy
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson - and this one
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert - very emotional and beautifully written
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness - can't wait for the movie!
Tidewater A Novel of Pocahontas and the Jamestown Colony by Libbie Hawker - I'm a sucker for Pocahontas stories and this one was awesome
Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine - books. LOVE.
Billy Joel by Fred Schruers - such a good biography
Catherine the Great Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie - this one too! LOTS of research.
The Secret History A Novel of Empress Theodora by Stephanie Thornton - awesome book about someone I never knew existed
Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel - wrecked me
Blue is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh - also wrecked me
Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton - SO GOOD
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - Love this world!
Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1) by Kristi Charish - snarky MCs ftw
Locke & Key, Vol. 1 Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill - this whole series was fantastic

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz  (LizMax) | 12 comments This year changed me as a reader. I read one book that had a huge impact and then started looking specifically for inspiring stories. These are my favs. Dirty Secrets of the World's Worst Employee by Jenn Sadai , Dark Confessions of an Extraordinary, Ordinary Woman by Jenn Sadai , I Am Malala The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai , Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley , and Purpose for the Pain by Renee Yohe . I highly recommend all five!

message 10: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "FINISH UNWIND. That series is IN. CRE. DI. BLE.

my list--
[bookcover:The Girl wit..."

I WILL. :D

I haven't read many of those, but I agree with the ones I have read! The rest I will have to look up, there's a bunch I haven't heard of before. :)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Yikes, I can't believe it's already December! Well, here are a bunch of books I enjoyed reading this year. Some are from this year, others are older. :D

Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby[bookcover:Yes ..."

I need to get to Stand Off and Yes Please!

Liz wrote: "This year changed me as a reader. I read one book that had a huge impact and then started looking specifically for inspiring stories. These are my favs. [bookcover:Dirty Secrets of the World's Wors..."

That is great Liz! I love when books are transformative! I felt that way about the book Quiet!

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "FINISH UNWIND. That series is IN. CRE. DI. BLE.

my list--
[bookcover:The Girl wit..."

As you likely know I loved TGWTDT series and also loved Unwind!

message 15: by Jenny (last edited Dec 02, 2015 05:48PM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Liz wrote: "This year changed me as a reader. I read one book that had a huge impact and then started looking specifically for inspiring stories. These are my favs. [bookcover:Dirty Secrets of the World's Wors..."

I really want to read I Am Malala!

message 16: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "FINISH UNWIND. That series is IN. CRE. DI. BLE.

my list--
Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin - same for t..."

omggg the Millennium trilogy was SO. GOOD. Especially the trial in the last book (which it took FOREVER to get to) but ahhhh it was perfect. I still need to watch the movie. I do think the books could have used editing but by the end I really came to appreciate his writing style nonetheless.

I agree Ashley. The books could have been edited down some (I understand why they weren't since the author passed before they were published) but I forgave them of all that because the rest was so so good :) Did you listen to them all? I know you listened to the first one (I think).

Jenny wrote: "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth by Ruth S. NoelThis Shattered World (Starbound, #2) by Amie KaufmanPatient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) by Jonathan MaberryThe Final Descent (The Monstrumologist, #4) by Rick YanceyHeir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas[bookcove..."

So happy Sarah Addison Allen made your list twice! Her books are my happy. Also glad the Monstrumologist and Jasper Dent are there. They are both so unique and well written.

message 19: by *b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* (last edited Dec 03, 2015 02:52PM) (new)

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
nice topic, Heidi!

Here are my top read for this year ^_^

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley Sorta Like A Rockstar by Matthew Quick Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Through the Woods by Emily Carroll 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

wow, looking back on my best reads, its not that many. I don't know if I was just pickier this year, or nothing stupendous stood out.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Jenny wrote: "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth by Ruth S. NoelThis Shattered World (Starbound, #2) by Amie KaufmanPatient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) by Jonathan MaberryThe Final Descent (The Monstrumologist, #4) by Rick Yancey[bookcover:Heir of Fire|2061..."

I just started reading her books this year, and she is one of my fave authors now! I need to get to some of her other books :)

Do it Jenny!

message 22: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments If it's a series, I'll link all the books(up to the most recent one I've read), even if I didn't read this all this year just in case someone wants to click book 1.

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater , The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater , Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
BL,LB is probably my least favorite of the series so far, but, man, did it make me excited for the final book.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
Just gold.

The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1) by James Dashner , The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2) by James Dashner , The Blade of Shattered Hope (The 13th Reality, #3) by James Dashner , The Void of Mist and Thunder (The 13th Reality #4) by James Dashner
For the most part a good, solid series, but the ending of the final book is just amazing.

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan , Saga, Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan , Saga, Volume 3 by Brian K. Vaughan , Saga, Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan
One of the few comics I recommend to people who are iffy about getting into comics.

The Vengekeep Prophecies by Brian Farrey , The Shadowhand Covenant by Brian Farrey , The Grimjinx Rebellion by Brian Farrey
Maybe the most under-loved series I've read. I'm surprised these babies aren't big time best sellers.

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar , Kick-Ass 2 (Kick-Ass, #2) by Mark Millar , Kick-Ass 3 (Kick-Ass, #3) by Mark Millar
This series is more gears towards comics lovers. There's also a Hit-Girl mini-series that is very good. Behind the grit and gore, there's a nice bit of heart in this series.

Locke & Key, Vol. 1 Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill , Locke & Key, Vol. 2 Head Games by Joe Hill , Locke & Key, Vol. 3 Crown of Shadows by Joe Hill , Locke & Key, Vol. 4 Keys to the Kingdom by Joe Hill , Locke & Key, Vol. 5 Clockworks by Joe Hill , LOCKE & KEY VOL 06 ALPHA & OMEGA HC with slipcase for all 6 books by Joe Hill
A comic unlike any. Another one I recommend to non-comic readers. Helps that it is done by novel royalty(Joe Hill, son of Stephen King).

Bone, Vol. 1 Out from Boneville (Bone, #1) by Jeff Smith , Bone, Vol. 2 The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2) by Jeff Smith , Bone, Vol. 3 Eyes of the Storm (Bone, #3) by Jeff Smith , Bone, Vol. 4 The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4) by Jeff Smith , Bone, Vol. 5 Rock Jaw, Master of the Eastern Border (Bone, #5) by Jeff Smith , Bone, Vol. 6 Old Man's Cave (Bone, #6) by Jeff Smith , Bone, Vol. 7 Ghost Circles (Bone, #7) by Jeff Smith , Bone, Vol. 8 Treasure Hunters (Bone, #8) by Jeff Smith , Bone, Vol. 9 Crown of Horns (Bone #9) by Jeff Smith
The writing, the art, the drama, the humor. Jeff Smith is a comics genius.

The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey , The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2) by Rick Yancey , The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3) by Rick Yancey , The Final Descent (The Monstrumologist, #4) by Rick Yancey
Solid horror, but even better character relationships/growth.

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer , Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer , Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer , Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer
Like I have to explain why these are good. Still looking forward to Winter.

Sidekicks by Jack D. Ferraiolo
Please read this!

Rotters by Daniel Kraus
Intensity level higher than 9,000!

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer #1) by Lish McBride , Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2) by Lish McBride
So sad this series wasn't, like, three books longer.

Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry , Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2) by Jonathan Maberry , Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3) by Jonathan Maberry , Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4) by Jonathan Maberry
Not the best ending, but a great journey with great characters to get there.

The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu
I know a lot disagree, but I just loved the main character so much.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs , Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs , Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children The Graphic Novel by Ransom Riggs
One more book to go. I'm like Jesse Spano on caffeine pills. I'm so excited!

Great reads in there Tommy. I read several of those in different years and am jealous of all the great reads you were able to have in one year alone!!!

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Some really awesome series in there Tommy!

message 25: by Elora (new)

Elora Mitchell | 578 comments I agree with Heidi....makes me want to dust some books off...

Karen’s Library | 574 comments Elora wrote: "I agree with Heidi....makes me want to dust some books off..."

Definately! Me too! :)

message 27: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments It's pretty crazy the amount of reads I got from last years best of. Probably gonna be the same this time around haha.

You can only hope Tommy!

message 29: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Fantastic list, Tommy. A bunch of my favorite series are in there. :D

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Oda wrote: "Aerenden The Child Returns (Ærenden, #1) by Kristen TaberAwoken (The Lucidites, #1) by Sarah NoffkeCold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) by Jennifer EstepHounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin HearneThe Invisible Library (The Invisible Library #1) by Genevieve Cogman"

I am sure Kristen will be happy to see her book made your list :) I need to listen to the 3rd book in her series.

message 32: by Minna (last edited Jan 02, 2016 02:50PM) (new)

Minna (minnabird) | 2 comments First comment in this group, but I just found it and I was just about to make this list for myself...

Tommy - I think I read those first towards the end of 2014, or I'd include the Raven Cycle on my list. I did re-read them this year, and got some friends to try them. :)

Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2) by Rachel Hartman

Much anticipated, and better than I could've hoped. Probably my best book of 2015.

The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan

Haven't read BOO yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed these.

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Not YA, and not my first time reading it, but I loved this play for the first time in 2015, mostly because of Juliet.

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Also not YA, but led me to another comfort-author - someone whose books are somehow so easy and warm and enjoyable that I have no trouble slipping into them.

The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2) by Maureen Johnson The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3) by Maureen Johnson

Could not stop reading, and I'm still having twinges of emotion about the characters almost two weeks later. Also, I then read three more Maureen Johnson books after I finished these.

The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1) by Marie Rutkoski The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2) by Marie Rutkoski

My enjoyment of this series stands as a reminder to stop judging books by the ominous rumbles of angsty romance in the cover copy.

Welcome Minna! No need to worry about listing only YA books - it can be any genre/audience. I really enjoyed Landline as well. Rainbow really knows how to bring on the feels in me.

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) I've read some great books in 2015!
Slip (Slip, #1) by David Estes An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas . The Lunar Series Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer
Started the Lux Series Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Opal (Lux, #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout and started the Throne of Glass series Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas and the Kricket series Under Different Stars (Kricket, #1) by Amy A. Bartol Sea of Stars (Kricket, #2) by Amy A. Bartol Darken the Stars (Kricket, #3) by Amy A. Bartol and I also read The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

Oh wow! You read all the Lunar Chronicles this year! No waiting for you!

message 36: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) I know, I loved them!!!

message 37: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Minna wrote: "First comment in this group, but I just found it and I was just about to make this list for myself...

Tommy - I think I read those first towards the end of 2014, or I'd include the Raven Cycle on ..."

I just did kind of a double-take because my sister's name is Minna and I have literally never met anyone else with that name, haha. :D Welcome to the group!

And that's a good list! I also love Heroes of Olympus. I read Seraphina pretty recently and really enjoyed it, and I've been meaning to read Shadow Scale, so I'm glad to hear you liked it. :)

message 38: by Malori (new)

Malori | 10 comments my favorites last year were:

Beautiful Series
Cinder & Scarlet (Haven't finished the series yet)
The Darkest Powers Trilogy
Elixir Trilogy
Matched Trilogy
The Help

I so loved the Help when I read it a few years ago.

message 40: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Malori wrote: "my favorites last year were:

Beautiful Series
Cinder & Scarlet (Haven't finished the series yet)
The Darkest Powers Trilogy
Elixir Trilogy
Matched Trilogy
The Help"

I love Lunar Chronicles too! Although I also haven't finished the series yet. :) Ooh and I remember loving the Darkest Powers trilogy when I was in high school. It's been a while since I read those!

message 41: by Minna (new)

Minna (minnabird) | 2 comments Brigid - I thought the name was made up (it's my internet pseudonym) until I met someone who uses the same username as me in a lot of places who told me it was her real name. Oops!

Shadow Scale was well worth it, definitely give it a try when you have time. :)

I haven't finished the Lunar Chronicles yet, despite the fact that I ordered the Winter e-book the second it came out. Sometime soon. Good to hear you liked the full series, Donna.

message 42: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Oh so it's not your real name, haha. :D Well it is a real name! It's just very rare. I know my sister has only met a few people online with the same name as her.

Good to know! I've heard kind of mixed things about it, but I still want to give it a try. :)

I requested Winter from the library in November and it still hasn't come yet! I think it had like 800 holds on it, eesh. :P

message 43: by Malori (new)

Malori | 10 comments @Brigid

I can't believe I miss out all this time on that Trilogy. I went out and bought a bunch more of her books lol

message 44: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Malori wrote: "@Brigid

I can't believe I miss out all this time on that Trilogy. I went out and bought a bunch more of her books lol"

Haha, awesome! :D I haven't read any of her other books (although I know she's written a bunch). I should give some of them a try!