2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > November 2015 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10915 comments Mod
This is it! One month to go so we're in the final stretch.

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. What do you want to achieve in December to close out the year?

message 2: by Tracey (last edited Dec 01, 2015 08:38AM) (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Yes I am up to date on the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith.

No, hooray!

Yes I moved forward by 1 book on 4 series:

1. Grant County by Karin Slaughter
2. In Death by J D Robb
3. Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly
4. Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore

2 x 5 star reads for me this month.

Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith
Portrait in Death by J D Robb

I enjoy the detailed writing of Galbraith (J K Rowling) and the side story of the main characters.

For Portrait in Death I enjoy watching the characters of Eve, Roarke and Peabody unfold over the series. It was also a tense ending which I love in a mystery & suspense.

Get to 100 books - only 6 off so I should do it.
Read as many of the books that I have listed in my monthly plan.
Enjoy my reading over the holidays!

message 3: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (last edited Dec 01, 2015 05:38AM) (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright)

► YAY, I got to mark these done or done for now:
√ Power of the Dog
√ Dublin Street
√ Cormoran Strike

►No, I think this is the first time that's every happened. LOL

► Yes, I did:
• In Death - 1 book
• Harry Bosch - 3 book
• Alex Cross - 3 books
• Dark Tower - DNF at 30% and am not continuing the series
• Hard Ink - 1 book

Cross - This is my favorite in the series so far. 5 stars.
Trunk Music - I love it! 5 stars.

5. Are you close to achieving your goal(s) for 2015?
► I'm new, so I set my goals for 1 October 2015 - 31 December 2016.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments I loved Trunk Music and rated it 5 stars as well.

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) Tracey wrote: "I loved Trunk Music and rated it 5 stars as well."

:-)

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes I caught up on the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith. 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will..."

You had a really good month! I'm trying to get up to date in the Cormoran Strike series this month and am loving the audio version of The Silkworm. Love your December goal!

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? ► YAY, I got to mark these done or done for now:
√ Power of the Dog
√ Dublin Street
√ Cormoran Strike 2. Did you star..."

I'm so jealous of you and Tracy being up to date in Cormoran Strike:) You also had a great month!

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) Don't be too jealous, I'm not up to date on very many. :-)

It was a good month, but not as good as I had hoped. It was just soooo busy and I didn't have much time.

message 9: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 638 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No
I did not start any new series. Yay!
I moved forward in the Jennifer Chiaverni quilt series. So I was happy about that.
Watermelon by Marian Keyes, it was a pretty long book, but I love how the character grew so much
from the beginning of the book
I want to actually finish the goodread challenge this year. I doubt that I will finish any series, but I
would like to move forward in some of them.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Yes I am up to date on the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith.

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? ..."

That is amazing, Tracey! Congrats and good luck on the last six.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments ❆ Crystal ❆ wrote: "♦

► YAY, I got to mark these done or done for now:
√ Power of the Dog
√ Dublin Street
√ Cormoran Strike

2. Did you star..."

That is fantastic, Crystal.

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "That is amazing, Tracey! Congrats and good luck on the last six...."

Thanks Kris. Most I have ever read in a year. Last year was 81 and that was the most in a year up until now!

message 13: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) Thanks Kris! :-)

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2372 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I became up-to-date on Jeaniene Frost's Night Prince series.

I started Lorraine Heath's Daughters of Fortune series and Kathryn Shay's O'Neill Family series. I plan to continue both.

I moved forward in three series:
Navy Seals Team 12 - Marliss Melton
Stacy Killian series - Erica Spindler
In Death series - J.D. Robb

My only 5 star book was a standalone: Killer Curves by Roxanne St. Claire. I also read a handful of 4.5 star books:
Survivor in Death - J.D. Robb
Time to Run - Marliss Melton
The Outlaw and the Lady - Lorraine Heath

Since I met my challenge for 2015, I just want to make a dent in a couple more series.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Tracey wrote: "Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "That is amazing, Tracey! Congrats and good luck on the last six...."

Thanks Kris. Most I have ever read in a year. Last year was 81 and that was the most in a yea..."

You are really kicking butt!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I became up-to-date on Jeaniene Frost's Night Prince series.

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you c..."

Congrats, Robin! Good luck with making further dents in series.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Caught up: Kate Burkholder (Linda Castillo), Tracy Crosswhite (Robert Dugoni), Night Prince (Jeaniene Frost) and Dark Obsession (Cynthia Eden)
Finished: Lucy Kendall (Stacy Green)

Tracy Crosswhite (Robert Dugoni) - NO; Fairy Detective Agency: Wings & Co (Sally Gardner) - NO; O'Connor and Kincaid (Tess Diamond) - YES; Doll People (Anne M. Martin and Laura Goodwin) - YES.

See #1

No one book this month

Finish 17 more books to complete my GR year challenge and see if I can finish at least 2 more series where I am a book away from completing or catching up!

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Well done Robin for meeting your GR challenge!

message 19: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Caught up: Kate Burkholder (Linda Castillo), Tracy Crosswhite (Robert Dugoni), Night Prince (Jeaniene Frost) and Dark Obsession (..."

Well done Kris on catching up on so many series!!

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Viki wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?I did not start any new series. Yay!
3. Did you mov..."

Here's hoping you'll get that reading in before baby comes!

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I became up-to-date on Jeaniene Frost's Night Prince series. 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you c..."

Aside from having a great month, meeting your goals for the year is cause to celebrate! Congratulations, Robin!

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Caught up: Kate Burkholder (Linda Castillo), Tracy Crosswhite (Robert Dugoni), Night Prince (Jeaniene Frost) and Dark Obsession (..."

Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Wonderful month, Kris! What happened with the Tracy Crosswhite series?

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

I completed (C) or am up to date (UTD) in 5 more series: Lucy Kendall by Stacy Green (C), The O'Leary's by Shannyn Schroeder (C), Still Harbor by Victoria James (UTD), Second Chance by Jessica Lemmon (UTD) and Boys of Fall by Shannon Stacey (UTD).

I started 3 and plan to continue them all: Glass Sisters by Laura Griffin, Fortune's Island by Shirley Jump, and Cimarron/Melbourne Mysteries by Vanessa Prelatte

I moved forward in 5 series: Wilde Security by Tonya Burrows, Maiden Lane by Elizabeth Hoyt, SEAL Team #12 by Marliss Melton, Will Trent by Karin Slaughter and Beartooth Montana by B. J. Daniels. (These are in addition to those where I'm now up to date.)

4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them? I had 4 outstanding reads!
Broken by Karin Slaughter
All Fall Down by Stacy Green
Scandalous Desires by Elizabeth Hoyt
A Pirate for Christmas by Anna Campbell

All were pretty hard to put down and well written.

I have one more series to complete to achieve my goal of finishing 20 series this year. I also want to devote serious time to being more specific as to which series I want to focus on in 2016 so I can create stretch goals.

Broken (Will Trent, #4) by Karin Slaughter All Fall Down (Lucy Kendall, #4) by Stacy Green Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3) by Elizabeth Hoyt A Pirate for Christmas by Anna Campbell

message 24: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Sure did!- 7 of them!!

Kay Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell

Vik & Stubø by Anne Holt

Patrik Hedström by Camilla Läckberg

Weezie and Bebe Mysteries by Mary Kay Andrews

Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht by Kristina Ohlsson

Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich

Darby McCormick by Chris Mooney

Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23) by Patricia Cornwell What Never Happens by Anne Holt The Hidden Child (Patrik Hedström, #5) by Camilla Läckberg Blue Christmas (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #3) by Mary Kay Andrews Hostage (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht #4) by Kristina Ohlsson Tricky Twenty-Two (Stephanie Plum, #22) by Janet Evanovich Fear the Dark (Darby McCormick, #5) by Chris Mooney

(I've been in a finish series challenge so have been really focused on that)

Inspector Winter by Åke Edwardson
Death Angels (Inspector Winter, #1) by Åke Edwardson Death Angels by Åke Edwardson
Finished 11/3 ★★★★

The Killing Lessons by Saul Black The Killing Lessons by Saul Black
Finished 11/10 ★★★

DS Lucy Black Brian McGilloway
Little Girl Lost (DS Lucy Black, #1) by Brian McGilloway Little Girl Lost by Brian McGilloway
Finished 11/9 ★★★★

Kristen Conner by M.K. Gilroy
Cuts Like a Knife (Kristen Conner Mystery #1) by M.K. Gilroy
Finished 11/20 ★★★

I'll continue all of them

Yes, but I didn't keep track.

Fear the Dark which finished off Darby McCormick by Chris Mooney

and

Evil Games in D.I. Kim Stone by Angela Marsons

Both were pretty intense forensic/female detective stories/series that kept me guessing. They were both buddy reads with my friend which helped as well.

5. Are you close to achieving your goal(s) for 2015?

I exceeded my reading goals for the year. Now if I would just do that on my personal and home goals as well

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1348 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed the Grimm Legacy Series by Polly Shulman

I started 1 new series - The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and I will definitely continue with it.

3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?I moved forward in 1 series - The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I hope to start book 11 in January.

I enjoyed all the books I read, but no 5 star ones this time.

I want to read all the books I have listed for December. Some have been on my list for months and I haven't gotten to them. I'm really bad at adding new books to the list throughout the month. I'm going to try not to do that this month (probably not going to happen).

message 26: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 638 comments Jonetta wrote: "Viki wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?I did not start any new series. Yay!
3...."

Thanks Jonetta.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Thanks Jonetta and Tracey! I'm trying to get through as many as I can.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Jonetta wrote: "Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Caught up: Kate Burkholder (Linda Castillo), Tracy Crosswhite (Robert Dugoni), Night Prince (Je..."

They were just okay and I was not that crazy about Tracy's character and the plot about her sister lacked the suspense I was hoping for. I wanted to give the series at least a second book to see how I felt. At this point I have too many series I really want to read so have to be a bit cutthroat, lol.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed (C) or am up to date (UTD) in 5 more series: Lucy Kendall by Stacy Green (C), The O'Leary's by Shannyn Schroeder (C),..."

Go, Jonetta, Go!!!

message 30: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1124 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished the Magic Kingdom of Landover series by Terry Brooks, at least I think so but this book was published 14 years after #5 so I guess you never know :)
No :)
Only the one I finished
I reread Harry Potter 2 do I need to say more :)
Finish or get up to date in at least one more series

Een prinses van Landover by Terry Brooks Harry Potter och hemligheternas kammare (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling

message 31: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Jonetta wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed (C) or am up to date (UTD) in 5 more series: Lucy Kendall by Stacy Green (C), The O'Leary's by Shannyn Schroeder (C),..."

Well done on completing or getting up to date with 5 series. If you work out the magic ingredient for how to stay focussed on series can you please let me know :-) :-)

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Tracey wrote: "Well done on completing or getting up to date with 5 series. If you work out the magic ingredient for how to stay focussed on series can you please let me know :-) :-)..."

Hah! I can dream, can't I? So many wonderful distractions:)

message 33: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Very true and I guess that is what makes us bookaholics! And I love it :-)

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

Me, too:) My shelf runneth over!

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments November was a productive month.
I finished The Wild Riders series by Jaci Burton. Great series.
Read a novella I missed in the Play By Play series.
Started the Nine Circles series.
Caught up the US Marshall series
Read 2 Reapers MC 1 to go
Read 4 books On Dublin Street Series.

message 36: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "November was a productive month.
Started the Nine Circles series.
Caught up the..."

Good job, Laura! I was jealously watching you move forward in the Dublin series.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "November was a productive month.
Started the Nine Circles series...."

It is so great. I'm giving my library 3 more days to come through on the next one or I am going to have to buy it. I Have to finish it.

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

Stay strong!:)

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Great job, Laura.