Start by marking “What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)” as Want to Read:
What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)

What Never Happens

(Vik & Stubø #2)

Something terrifying is happening all over Oslo: celebrities are turning up dead in macabre ways. A talk show host has her tongue cut out, a politician crucified with a copy of the Koran stuffed inside of her, a literary critic stabbed in the eye with a pen. The killer is sending a message - but what?

Police Commissioner Adam Stubo and his wife, profiler Johanne Vik, are
Published February 13th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What Never Happens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Never Happens

Start your review of What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)
Lukasz Pruski
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
"What Never Happens" is the second book by Norwegian Anne Holt that I read. I liked the first one, "What Is Mine" a lot and gave it four stars. I wish I could like this book too, but I cannot. Perhaps it is my fault. I can't stand the irritating manner of writing where almost throughout the entire book Adam Stubo, the police detective, and Johanne Vik, his wife and a "profiler", talk about the case in the middle of dealing with their children, their dog, their meals, and their domestic chores. ...more
Rachel Hall
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it

Four years after their initial meeting and the tensions of combining on a high-profile investigation brought psychological profiler, Johanne Vik and NCIS detective, Adam Stubo together, the pair have since married and had their first child. Along with Johanne's daughter, ten-year-old Kristiane from her first marriage and a new baby, Ragnhild, the new family should be making the most of Adam's paternity leave, but when the mutilated body of a media star is found murdered the distinct
Rachelle Urist
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lainy
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 6 days

Pages - 375

Publisher - Corvus

Blurb from Goodreads

Police Commissioner Adam Stubo and his wife, profiler Johanne Vik, are both exhausted by the arrival of their new baby.
Jmm
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
What Never Happens is the second offering in Anne Holts series featuring Johanne Vik, a former profiler trained by the FBI, and Adam Sturbo with Norways NCIS Unit. When the story opens, Johanne and Adam are now married with a brand new baby girl. Adam is at home on a months paternity leave, helping his wife care for their expanded family which also includes his stepdaughter, Kristiane, who suffers from an undiagnosed autistic-like disorder. However, when a television celebrity host is found dead ...more
Alexandra Mills
Started off strong and that's why it has two stars instead of one. But became stale and boring. In the end I didn't particularly care why or who murdered the three people.

I really enjoyed punishment so I'm finding it really interesting that I did not like this one.
Margaret
May 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
A mentally disturbed killer with no motive , a secret that in the end remains a secret ( not that I care what it is) clues that navigate the heroes but seems totally unnecessary for the reader and in the end a very disappointing read.
Masanobu
I am really surprised at how much I ended up liking this book, because I really had low expectations and I don't even know why.

The best thing about this book are the characters and the character-driven plot. I liked the slow convolutions that made Yngvar Stubo and Inger Johanne Vik arrive to the solution to the crimes (and by the way, why did they change the name of the main characters in English?), although I knew for once what would come next. And I liked the changes in what characters felt or
Afsana
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ken Fredette
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a truly well thought out crime by Anne Holt. Adam Stubo and Sigmund Berli had their work cut out in the final chapters of the book to follow their know suspect Wencke Bencke in all of her movements. Johanne Vik was known to be the best profiler by her professor in the FBI, yet she couldn't find any trace of Wencke either, she's Adam's wife. Wencke was writing a book about the murders but with the proviso that it wouldn't be published until after her death. This story was well worth ...more
Sharon
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibook, purchased
The Final Murder #2 Stubo&Vik. Anne Holt. iBook. 7/12/2016. 4/5.
Well, this was a good read. We find Stubo and Vik married with a new baby girl while murders of famous people start occurring. There are many sections with the killer but most of the book is the police and public trying to make sense of the VERY seemingly random murders and Johanna profiling possibilities. And possible links or clues.... Very spooky ending.....
Pat
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
What I like about this book are the main characters: Adam Stubo, the quirky, smart, cigar and food loving detective, and his wife, Joanna Vik, messy and brilliant crime profiler up to her elbows in diapers and odd children.

These characters may be worth following in other books.

The mystery is what I think of as Norwegian, dark and gruesome.
Kristen
Jun 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
I simply could not get into this book. I read the first three chapters and was so confused by the constant change of voice and discriptions that I skipped to the last two chapters and read the end. The story is wonderful and would make a great thriller, but the way it was written totally turned me off.
Evelyn
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the Vik/Stubo series, set in Oslo, and the second mystery I have read by Anne Holt. I very much enjoy the setting in Oslo and the details about the lives of the main characters. The book was gripping and I read it over a couple of days.
Kathryn
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written mystery that nailed so many usual and unusual family situations while simultaneously dealing with the horror of multiple murders. That's a lot to take in, yes? You might have as much difficulty coming to terms with the ending then as I certainly did.
Susan
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Creepy and well done.
Mike Cuthbert
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anne Holt, the godmother of modern Norwegian crime fiction, according to Jo Nesbø, always seems to take a winding path through the mystery genre. In this entry, her chief detective, Adam Stubo and his profiler wife, Johanne Vik, more or less combine in frustration as they follow a seeming serial murder case. It starts with a celebrity who is left dead but with her tongue removed and split. It continues with a celebrity killed and left with a pen in his eye. Yet another is left with a copy of the ...more
Jenhaslam
I couldn't finish this book.
Gemma McGee
I picked up The Final Murder by Anne Holt due to the description on the back of the book. The story revolves around the murder of "Celebrities" in different and gruesome manner. The problem that Superintendent Adam Stubo faces is a case with no connection between the victims and no evidence. The only thing that he has is a pattern that his wife Johanne Vik sees, and if this theory is correct this could mean Adam and Johanne life in danger.

I found enjoyed the twist in the story and how it slowly
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crimepieces
I thought The Final Murder an enjoyable read. The plot was good - a killer is targeting famous people in Oslo and leaving behind various disturbing symbols. The book opens with the murder of a talk-show host who is found with her tongue removed from her body and left on her desk, cleaved in two. Its an interesting serial killer plot, and the passages interspersed in the book taking the killers point of view were well done and satisfactorily oblique.

I also liked the main detective,
Carol Mello
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Celebrities are being killed. It is being discussed on TV news talk shows. Vik is a profiler. She is called in to profile this murderer. She does correctly identify the murderer but it is a shocker, who it is. And there is no way to prove it in a trial. So the ending is creepy, the way the murderer confronts Vik, says I know you know but you cannot do anything. There is a hint that the murderer would go after someone in Vik's family. This is not a spoiler because I have said nothing about who ...more
Sherry
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A series of celebrity murders, each bizarre and horrible. Adam Stubos latest case and Johanne Vicks by proxy. A new born baby brings sleepless nights and anxiety to Johanne. No clues and no rationals. We hear from the murderer but have no real clue as to why this person is killing people.
The tension keeps rising and the reader can feel the frustration especially that of Adam Stubo.
A book difficult to put down with well developed characters. A brilliant killer who keeps us guessing too. A great
Anne Robinson
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Judging by the reviews on Goodreads, this is another of those marmite books. Well, I like marmite and I also liked this book. I find the two main characters and their domestic and professional lives interesting and I enjoy the way that Holt introduces and describes her other characters. The plot was gripping enough to keep my attention as I read this pretty quickly.

As I have already read parts 3 and 4 of the series, a couple of years ago, I will now download and get on with the final part!
Elizabeth Kennedy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun, imaginative book! What an evil culprit! The characters were well drawn and the descriptions were just detailed enough to give you a real feel for atmosphere. The conversations between Adam and his wife were too drawn out, a little too tortuous for me, which is why it got 4 instead of 5 stars for my rating, but the writing was wonderful! Good read!
Alysha
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lioness-s-domain
I dont know why but how holt writes how people speak in her novels annoy me. Too many pauses, and sentences that just trail off. Anyways the plot was kind of intriguing but ending kind of leaves dissatisfied. Hopefully the sequel brings a resolution to this story.
Robert Scott
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the one Holt I read featuring Hanne Wilhelmsen. Now I will have to read more about Vik & Stubo. This book is a case study in frustration and fear. Well written and the characters are written large from victims to policemen and families. Definitely a super thriller.
Melanie
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Caroline Åsgård
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lis
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Well done -- the second in the Vik-Stubo series and a good addition.
The portrayal of the Vik-Stubo family and home life is lively and well done.
The crimes/mystery are interesting and never boring.
I look forward to another book.
Sherrie
I wasn't too taken with this book until about the last quarter of it, when it improved significantly. I have to say I didn't see the ending coming.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • Red Wolf (Annika Bengtzon, #5)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • When the Devil Holds the Candle (Konrad Sejer, #4)
  • Dregs (William Wisting, #6)
  • Helvetesilden (Konrad Sejer, #12)
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • Black Seconds (Konrad Sejer, #6)
  • En plats i solen (Annika Bengtzon, #8)
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Three Seconds (Grens & Sundkvist #5)
  • The Inspector and Silence (Inspector Van Veeteren #5)
  • Flaskepost fra P (Afdeling Q, #3)
  • The Inner Circle (Anders Knutas, #3)
  • Når det mørkner (William Wisting, #11)
Anne Holt was born in Larvik, grew up in Lillestrøm and Tromsø, and moved to Oslo in 1978. She graduated with a law degree from the University of Bergen in 1986, and went on to work for The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) and then the Oslo Police Department, earning her right to practice as a lawyer in Norway. In 1990 she returned to NRK, where she worked one year as a journalist and ...more

Vik & Stubø (5 books)
  • What Is Mine (Vik & Stubø, #1)
  • Presidentens valg (Vik & Stubø #3)
  • Fear not (Vik & Stubø, #4)
  • Skyggedød (Vik & Stubø #5)