Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2016 Challenge prompts > A book you can finish in a day

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (last edited Nov 30, 2015 06:14PM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments A book you can finish in a day ... this is what we call "the low-hanging fruit." Thanks to the good people of Popsugar for this repeat prompt. Go here for the thread from last year if you are looking for inspiration or post here.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I will have to pick something short. Gone are the days when I could actually sit and read a book all day! I might revisit a children's classic for this one.

message 3: by Megan (last edited Jan 19, 2016 10:07AM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I always read Colleen Hoover's books on a lazy Sunday when its bad weather. Going to use her new one November 9 for this!

12/28/2015 edit: Whoops - I just read this over the holiday. I'll need to re-think this category. I'll select another Colleen Hoover book, or any New Adult book since I fly through them...time will tell what I actually use to check this off!

1/19/2016 edit: Just finished Living Dead Girl. Its a short read (170 pages) but very good but a troubling story line. Trigger Warning for rape and child abuse. Gripping, heart-wrenching story.

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I just finished The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom. It was not a favorite for me but you could definitely read it in a day.

message 5: by Arka (new)

Arka Duttagupta | 25 comments The Art Of War By Sun Tzu

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (ohmandy70) I read Electric Barracuda by Tim Dorsey yesterday. Really quick read even though it's a full sized book.

message 7: by JoAnna (new)

JoAnna | 84 comments I read Adventures in Funeral Crashing by Milda Harris in just under 24 hours. But at least part of that 24 hours was spent doing other things - sleeping, eating, hanging with my family. It could definitely be read in a day without other commitments. Great YA book, btw!

message 8: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristy67) | 53 comments I read Bird Box. It's under 300 pages and I couldn't put it down!!

message 9: by Marion (new)

Marion (dogear) | 10 comments Finished reading "This is where it ends" by Marieke Nijkamp. At 282 pages that is good for me. Even took a few notes to go back to if we use it in a book discussion.

message 10: by Dipansha (new)

Dipansha | 6 comments I plan to read The Sense of an Ending for this prompt. Has anyone read it? Can it be done it a day?

message 11: by KLB (new)

KLB (klynnb) | 27 comments A Good Man Is Hard To Find by Flannery O'Connor

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 264 comments I just finished The Selection by Kiera Cass last night for this prompt. Even though the book is over 300 pages, it was a really quick read.

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 3 comments Megan wrote: "I always read Colleen Hoover's books on a lazy Sunday when its bad weather. Going to use her new one November 9 for this!

12/28/2015 edit: Whoops - I just read this over the holida..."

Have you read "Never Never"? There are 3 parts and the third just came out.

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Lindsay wrote: "Megan wrote: "I always read Colleen Hoover's books on a lazy Sunday when its bad weather. Going to use her new one November 9 for this!

12/28/2015 edit: Whoops - I just read this o..."

That's on my to be read shelf!

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I was very surprised. Lately, I decided that when I start a book I will read it to see if I could finish in a day. This latest book for a science fiction book club was 352 pages and I read it before dinner time!

Galaxy Games The Challengers by Greg R. Fishbone Galaxy Games: The Challengers by Greg R. Fishbone

PS - if anyone is looking for an astronomy professor, there's one in this book.

message 16: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne M | 9 comments I chose the book Broken Circle: the Dark Legacy of Indian Residential Schools, written by Theodore Fontaine. I highly recommend this book as an aspect of the past that Canadians should NOT be proud of, but I think it's one of those books that every one should read. I especially liked the healing that the author has experienced and speaks out in the book.

message 17: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Rainer Maria Rilke, Notes sur la mélodie des choses , Allia, 2006 (publication initiale 1898).

I picked that very small book at the bookshop; finished it before going to bed - took longer than I thought because it's a bilingual edition and I tried to read both version, even though my high school German is very rusty!

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Murray | 9 comments I picked Made You Up for this challenge. I love book about mental disorders and this one was particularly good! 448 pages read in under 24 shows how awesome this book is.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to re-read The Art of War by Sun Tzu

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 622 comments I'm reading Coraline. I've shuffled this around a few times, to a few different categories across both of my challenges. In the end, I decided to make it my book that I can read in a day. I was hoping to squeeze it in yesterday, actually, since one of the groups I belong to was doing a special "leap day" challenge, but unfortunately I had no time at all to read yesterday.

message 21: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 24 comments Started Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo this morning and I'm nearly 1/3 in, so I'll definitely finish it today. Great pace, a bit of dark humour, a protagonist you should probably hate, but can't help empathising with... Yup, just what I expected from my favourite Nordic Noir author :)

message 22: by Leigha (new)

Leigha (leighas_life) I finished this challenge and read Room by Emma Donoghue

message 23: by Juanita (last edited Mar 21, 2016 06:03PM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Here's a link to suggestions from Modern Mrs. Darcy's blog for this category: http://modernmrsdarcy.com/20-life-cha...

Also, I just finished Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which is showing up on a lot of lists because the film is due this fall. It is only 42 pages long and certainly a very fast read.

message 24: by Jaimee (new)

Jaimee (erisire) | 17 comments Dipansha wrote: "I plan to read The Sense of an Ending for this prompt. Has anyone read it? Can it be done it a day?"

This is the one I chose for this prompt and finished it in a day. If you read it/have read it I'd love to discuss it.

message 25: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5881 comments Mod
I'm still not sure what I'm going to read for this category - I'm reading The Grownup right now for my "less than 150 pages" book, and I know I won't finish it in a day because I started it while I was in a waiting room, but I'm in the middle of two other long books that I'm trying to finish first, so I won't get back to it today.

Rebecca Solnit's Men Explain Things to Me is another possibility I'm considering, but do I really want to feel like I HAVE to rush through that one in a day?

I might choose a graphic novel, but that seems like too much of a gimme, so I'm going to try to stretch to a full length book. I just put several fluffy YA and romance novels on hold at the library, I figure I'll just start one and see if I can finish it in that day. I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You is less than 300 pages, so I'll plan to try that one first. Another possibility is Hex Hall. If that fails, then I've got Courtney Milan's The Duchess War loaded on my Kindle app.

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I finished Logan's Run by William F. Nolan & George Clayton Johnson in a day. However, I posted it under book with under 150 pages.

message 27: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I just picked up Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon and read it cover to cover in six hours. I didn't plan to read it in one sitting (it's just over 300 pages long) but really enjoyed it and had a day where I could just enjoy a book. I even gave up the opportunity for a nap while my children napped to read (unheard of!)

message 28: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Hall I've just read - The Possesion by Annie Ernaux and An Eye for an Eye by Malorie Blackman, as I wanted to read both and they were 50-60 pages each, for this task - Got me started on my Popsugar Tasks :) Yay!!!

message 29: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Hall I read two for this one ... To get me started on the Popsugar Challenge...

The Possession he Annie Ernaux and because I had previously read Noughts and Crosses for the Read Harder challenge I also read An Eye for an Eye by Malorie Blackman :)

message 30: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 32 comments If you're a super-slow reader (like me), I recommend Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination by JK Rowling. I'm assuming graphic novels could also count, so they're another option.

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jmarie84) | 19 comments Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, I cannot believe I waited this long to read it!

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 21 comments I just read Hazardous Duty yesterday. It was a one day read. 284 pages.

message 33: by Christi (new)

Christi | 45 comments My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout.
It was odd but interesting.

message 34: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Groves | 57 comments I listened to Tricky Twenty-Two, the latest in Janet Evanovich's humorous "crime" series featuring New Jersey bounty hunter Stephanie Plum, who bungles her way to capturing her quarry. I didn't realize I'd finish it in a day, but it was only 5 CDs, and I was listening on a weekend day when I spent a lot of time in the kitchen, a time when I often listen to audiobooks. It has 304 pages, which could be readable in text format if you had a lot of time; it's an easy read.

message 35: by Monica (new)

Monica (mcosselman) Fish In A Tree

All teachers should read this book!

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I read Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote for this category. Wonderful book. 5 stars

message 37: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) Went with a graphic novel Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants by one of my favorite comic artists, Matthew Inman. His comics always make me crack up!

Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants by Matthew Inman

message 39: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Juanita wrote: "I just picked up Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon and read it cover to cover in six hours. I didn't plan to read it in one sitting (it's just over 300 pages long) but really enjoyed it a..."

I loved this book Juanita! Didn't quite make it in a day, but it's definitely one of my favourites this year :)

message 40: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) I read Of Mice and Men. I'd never read it before (I know lots of people do it in school, but I didn't for some reason), and thought I'd give it a try as it's short, and it's also my boyfriend's favourite. I loved it! It made me cry in fact, what a beautiful story.

Other short ones I've read since and would recommend:
We Should All Be Feminists
The Tales of Beedle the Bard (For the HP fans)
The Trouble With Women
Trains and Lovers
milk and honey (Trigger Warning - sexual abuse)

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara (velocipedal) | 32 comments I read a Norby book! Norby, the Mixed-Up Robot

message 42: by Amber (new)

Amber | 38 comments I finished Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple in a day.