2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Read-a-thons > Third Read-a-Thon - Reading Habits

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
The read-a-thon is officially in full swing! I hope that everyone has been able to fit in a little extra reading. If not, there's still over 6 days left. Considering we've all committed to an entire week of read-a-thon goodness, it's safe to say that we all are avid readers and probably have some pretty engrained habits. Now it's time to share some of them.

Reading Habits

1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?

2. Can you stop reading anytime you want or do you have to stop at a certain page, chapter, part, etc.?

3. Can you read while listening to music/watching TV?

4. One book at a time, or several at once?

5. Books in a series or stand-alone books?

6. Male or female main character? Heroes or villains?

7. E-books or physical books?

8. Spend the day with your favorite author or spend the day with your favorite character?

9. Would you rather have your favorite book adapted as a movie or as a TV series?

10. Read first thing in the morning or just before bed?

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica | 214 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Bookmark

2. Can you stop reading anytime you want or do you have to stop at a certain page, chapter, part, etc.?
I prefer to finish the chapter I'm on.

Yes, I'm great at multitasking.

Several

Stand-alone

All of the above

I love physical books but I live in China and they are hard to get/expensive in English, plus it's easier to read an ebook with one hand when you have a baby, so ebooks for now :)

8. Spend the day with your favorite author or spend the day with your favorite character?
Author

9. Would you rather have your favorite book adapted as a movie or as a TV series?
Movie

Both :)

message 3: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
I love read-a-thons! ;)

1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper? I usually stuff whatever is lying around in my book to mark my place. Dog-eared pages make me cringe.

2. Can you stop reading anytime you want or do you have to stop at a certain page, chapter, part, etc.? My preference is the end of a chapter. If I can't get there I'll end, at the very least, on the end of a page.

3. Can you read while listening to music/watching TV? I don't like to read with television in the background. I can do music as long as it is mellow. Generally speaking, I like to read in semi-quiet areas.

4. One book at a time, or several at once? There was a time when I was a single book only girl but now it's uncommon for me to not have 2-3 going at a time. I like to have an audiobook, e-book, and physical book going at all times so that I'm always able to read no matter where I am or what I'm doing. It helps, I find, if you try and read different types of books/different genres to keep the stories separate.

5. Books in a series or stand-alone books? I guess my preference is stand-alones just because there are so many books I want to read and stand-alones are less of a commitment.

6. Male or female main character? Heroes or villains? I suppose I identify more with female main characters, being female, but I'm not all that particular if the character is well written. I usually prefer villains over heroes because I find their motives more intriguing and, for the most part, less obvious.

7. E-books or physical books? I hate to say it, I feel like a traitor, but I really do prefer e-books. I like that I can carry an entire library with me at all times and that my reading preferences are private. Also, my tablet is a lot easier to read in bed!

8. Spend the day with your favorite author or spend the day with your favorite character? I think I'd rather spend the day with my favorite character. I feel like I already know them.

9. Would you rather have your favorite book adapted as a movie or as a TV series? TV Series, definitely, so I could potentially have more of it!

10. Read first thing in the morning or just before bed? Both! Any time, any place I can!

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper? both depending if reading on kindle or a physical book.

2. Can you stop reading anytime you want or do you have to stop at a certain page, chapter, part, etc.? have to finish chapter.

3. Can you read while listening to music/watching TV? I'm not watching tv but it on in the background.

4. One book at a time, or several at once? depends but have read up to 4 at one time.

5. Books in a series or stand-alone books? prefer stand alone but have read series too. To me a book is a book and its what counts.

6. Male or female main character? Heroes or villains? both

7. E-books or physical books? both

8. Spend the day with your favorite author or spend the day with your favorite character? I tend to stay with favorite author.

9. Would you rather have your favorite book adapted as a movie or as a TV series? movies

10. Read first thing in the morning or just before bed? have done both but do more at night

message 5: by Marina H (last edited Dec 01, 2015 02:32AM) (new)

Marina H | 272 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Bookmark, a fancy one with magnets! And as Emmy Lou, I hate dog-eared pages, but here in Denmark we call them Donkey's ears.

I prefer stopping after a chapter

I can read with both music and tv in the background, but I'm not paying attention to either

I used to only read one book at a time, but now I often have a physical book and a book on my phone

Both

Both

If I had to choose: Physical books. My shelves would look so empty without them

Harry Hole <3

Hmm, movie I guess

I'm not a morning person, so I prefer to read just before bed. But in the weekends I sometimes read in the morning also

message 6: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
I prefer to use lovely bookmarks, especially the magnetic ones like Marina, but if I can't find one near me then I will use any random piece of paper I can find.

I much prefer finishing at the end of a chapter but if it's late and I'm really tired, to the point where I'm struggling to keep my eyes open then I will stop at the end of the sentence I'm on no matter where in the book it is. Also, if I'm very tired and the chapter still has a lot of pages left then I can leave it for the night. If there's only a page or so left, I will force myself to finish the chapter first.

Music, sometimes, but music being played tends to cause me to daydream and therefore I end up not really doing much reading. If a TV is on, I will get distracted and just start watching the TV and I won't read at all. So I definitely can't do that one.

I prefer to focus on one book at a time as I find that when I have two on the go, I tend to just end up focusing on one anyway and pretty much leaving the other one until I've finished that book. Sometimes I will though.

I tend to prefer stand alones but when I find a series that I really enjoy or love then I'm happy either way.

Either or both, it depends on the book/books and on the character themselves. Same goes for heroes or villains. It really depends.

I much prefer physical books but I do still like e-books.

That is such a difficult question, but I think I'd go with favourite character.

Most of my favourite books have already been made into movies or TV shows, so I think this question is kind of moot for me. It would depend on the book, though, and the contents that needs to be covered.

During the week I read just before bed as I'm getting up for work in the mornings and can't get myself up any earlier to try and do some reading (plus I'd probably get distracted by reading and then would end up running late), but on the weekends I'll do either or both.

message 7: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I use e-books 90% of the time but when it is a physical book then usually random paper

I like to stop at the end of a chapter but I read a lot before bed so that rarely happens

No I really like quiet reading

I used to read one at a time but lately I've been reading 2-3

Both :)

Male or female; I like mixed characters because it's more realistic. If the character is too good then I find them annoying. If they're too bad then I don't like not being able to like anything about them since it makes them hard to care about.

E-books - I love the x-ray feature for when I can't remember a character and they're easier to read in bed

I don't know that I have a favorite character so I would have to say author.

TV series - there's rarely enough time in a movie to do the book justice

I always read before bed - it's relaxing enough to let me fall asleep quickly.

message 8: by Jody (last edited Dec 01, 2015 03:42AM) (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper? In theory, I prefer bookmarks, but I can never seem to find one! Or they are all stuck in books that I started months ago and haven't gotten around to finishing. I don't dog-ear pages, but I've been known to stick fairly random things into a book to mark my spot. Hair band, earring ...

2. Can you stop reading anytime you want or do you have to stop at a certain page, chapter, part, etc.? Like most, I prefer to stop at the end of a chapter, but I actually don't really care all that much.

3. Can you read while listening to music/watching TV? Yes (tuning out crap is a skill you learn as a parent!), but I prefer to read in silence.

4. One book at a time, or several at once? Several. I think I have 12 or 13 on the go at the moment in varying stages of finished-ness (and interest level).

5. Books in a series or stand-alone books? My favourite books are a series (Harry Potter), but I normally wouldn't consider myself a big fan of a series. That said, 30% of the books I've read this year have been part of a series, which surprises me!

6. Male or female main character? Heroes or villains? Just give me good characters, I don't care if they're male, female, good, bad, human or otherwise. Characters are key for me in my enjoyment of a book.

7. E-books or physical books? Both. I love the convenience of my Kindle, that I can carry around a wide range of books with me everywhere I go, and my books don't get bashed up in my bag. But I love the tactile experience of physical books. I love the feel of them in my hands, the smell, and the one thing I really miss when reading on my Kindle is being able to eyeball how much I have left in a book. Somehow the percentage just doesn't really have the same effect - probably because 1% in a novella and 1% in a doorstop are vastly different!

8. Spend the day with your favorite author or spend the day with your favorite character? Definitely my favourite character. I "know" them, whereas spending the day with my favourite author may just lead to disappointment.

9. Would you rather have your favorite book adapted as a movie or as a TV series? They've already been adapted into movies (Harry Potter). I think it definitely depends on the book - some would only work one way (I think Harry is definitely movie only, due to budget requirements).

10. Read first thing in the morning or just before bed? Both. I'm not a morning person at all so I tend to read a little with a cup of coffee or tea first thing in the morning while my daughter has breakfast, gets ready for Kindergarten & generally faffs around. I also love reading in bed. And during the day. Any time, really.

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (gamerkiti) Reading Habits

1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper? random piece of paper (usually a post it note)

2. Can you stop reading anytime you want or do you have to stop at a certain page, chapter, part, etc.? I CAN stop anytime, but I prefer to stop at the end of the chapter.

3. Can you read while listening to music/watching TV? classical music yes

4. One book at a time, or several at once? several at once, sometimes I get bored lol

5. Books in a series or stand-alone books? both

6. Male or female main character? Heroes or villains? depends on my mood really.

7. E-books or physical books? both. I've got more books on my ipad and kindle than physical books though

8. Spend the day with your favorite author or spend the day with your favorite character? favorite character!! Hello Harry, Hermione, and Ron, how's Hogwarts been without me!!

9. Would you rather have your favorite book adapted as a movie or as a TV series? tv series! they tend to last longer and can fit in more details

10. Read first thing in the morning or just before bed? both. if I'm reading, I typically read throughout the day

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 122 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Cute magnetic bookmarks! I can never buy enough!

I prefer to stop at the end of a page on the left or at the top of a page on the right, depending on where the end of the paragraph is closest to.

With background music, yes, like when I'm reading at a cafe. I can read with the TV on if I'm not interested in what's on it, but I prefer to read in silence.

2-3 books at once, but one of them is an audiobook.

I like both. I do hate having to wait for the next book in a series to come out though.

No preference as long as the character development is good.

Physical books! I love the feel and smell of a physical book. Plus, it hurts less when you drop a paperback on your face than when you drop an e-book on your face if you fall asleep while reading.

Favorite character(s)

Not sure. I don't think I have a preference. I just don't like film adaptations straying away heavily from the books.

Reading before bed is one of my favorite things to do ever. I'm usually too busy in the morning.

message 11: by Luisa (last edited Dec 01, 2015 06:45AM) (new)

Luisa (deborahluisa) 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Bookmark. I love bookmarks. I have a lot of them, different styles and all beautiful

I always stop at the end of a chapter.

Yes. I do a lot of it. When my mom's watching TV or listening the radio, i'm sitting with her but reading.

Several. I like to read several at the same time, but different themes/style. Like a non-fiction, a fantasy novel, a classic novel at the same time.

Series. But i'm trying to change it and read more stand-alone novels.

No preference between male or female. I like intelligent and strong characters. I don't like when they're stupid do a lot of stupid things or cry all the time.

No preference actually. I'm getting use to read e-books. But i like to have the physical books, but only my favorites. I don't have much space left in my apartment to put more books.

Favorite character!

Hum... Whichever is well adapted... In series they use to change the story at some point ans the movies could be really bad. So it depends. I like Pride and Prejudice in a TV series but Harry Potter in movies.

Before bed. Also many times i slept holding the book i was reading.

message 12: by Veena (new)

Veena (veena_singh) | 9 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Bookmark. i like collecting bookmarks.

end of a chapter, always.

no. i need to concentrate while reading.

Several at once.

both actually.

i like characters with material i guess. hero or villian. male or female.

physical copies. anyday. i like to make notes and stick in my books. cant do that in kindle, can we.

favorite author. Would love to dissect his/her mind as to how he comes up with brilliant books.

movies. a really well done movie. i dont like series that go on for years.

before bed. and whole day!

message 13: by ines (new)

ines (hourofwolf) 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Bookmark!

I always stop at the end of the chapter!

Nope. I don't like background noise while reading, though I can read in a car or a bus or on the train.

I prefer one book at a time, but I'll read maximum two books at once.

Doesn't matter to me.

I don't really care if they're male or female, it depends purely on the their character.
I like likeable villains, or rather anti-heroes. But it would be very interesting to read a story from villains's point of view.

Physical books!

Favourite character.

Hmmm...my favourite books have been adapted to films and they were very good.

Just before bed.

message 14: by Jean (new)

Jean Cole (joc724) | 115 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper? Both. I usually have a couple of books going at a time. So I often use the receipt from the library as a bookmark. But I do have a couple of well-loved bookmarks that I use as well.

2. Can you stop reading anytime you want or do you have to stop at a certain page, chapter, part, etc.? Usually try to stop at a break of some kind. If not, I set a goal of a certain number of pages.

3. Can you read while listening to music/watching TV? Music yes, watching TV -- kind of. I can't follow both.

4. One book at a time, or several at once? Two or three usually. I'll have a long difficult book going (I'm talking to you, Tom Jones !) that I read a set number of pages or chapters in, then switch back to my current novel. Also have an audio book going in my car.

5. Books in a series or stand-alone books? Love both. I am a murder mystery addict, so am currently almost caught up with Louise Penny and my beloved Inspector Gamache. Also reading Inspector Lynley series by Elizabeth George. But always have a stand-alone going too.

6. Male or female main character? Heroes or villains? Gender not a deciding factor. And I do like a good anti-hero.

7. E-books or physical books? Mostly physical.

8. Spend the day with your favorite author or spend the day with your favorite character? First instinct was author, but now that I think about it -- a day with Inspector Gamache or Major Pettigrew would be delightful!

9. Would you rather have your favorite book adapted as a movie or as a TV series? Movie probably.

10. Read first thing in the morning or just before bed? Always at night but love to read in the morning before I get out of bed on the weekends.

message 15: by E.A. (last edited Dec 01, 2015 04:47PM) (new)

E.A. | 11 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Both, sometimes its a business card, or an appointment card... that one is a hit and miss because then I can't remember where the card is. :p

It depends of where I am while reading. If I'm at work, I don't have a choice then to stop. But most times, I try to stop at a break, or end of a chapter.

Yup, I can tune everything out. I've had whole conversations with my roommate only to not remember it later.

Several at once, my mood depicts what I read

That's a hard one. I do like both, there's good and bad for both. I don't like it when series is too long, but sometimes a stand-alone just doesn't cut it. It's a tie.

I use to be all for the female mains, but after reading a few books with male leads, I like both, but, I do find I like the male leads better. Heroes are okay, but I love a good villain.

Nothing beats a physical book

Spend the day with my favourite character, hands down,..... la sigh...

TV series, less chance of it getting muddled up.

In the middle of the day!.. I'm not a morning person, zombie more like it. And at night, I'm too tried to think, let along read. So I read at lunch, break, and when I get home.

message 16: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Bookmarks until I lose all of them and then everything can fit.

I prefer at the end of a chapter but I can stop anytime.

Music yes, TV no (when the TV is on, it's a movie or a tv show, so no point in reading at the same time).

Millions! With the challenge, I had around 6 books ongoing at the same time.

My main genres use series but a standalone is very welcome :)

Both (with a preference for females) and heroes.

Ebooks, but for favorite authors/series it's paper.

Character!

I'm always enthusiastic about adaptation and often very disappointed, so: no, thank you.

Before bed and "one chapter more".

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Bookmark, but lately I've been using paper, and after each book I finish, it's destroyed (I tend to play with it as I read)

Preferably at the end of a chapter, but if I have to, the end of the page.

It depends on what mood I'm in, sometimes I can block out the noise if I'm really into a book.

One at a time please! I don't know how people can do more than one. Maybe I have a slight case of OCD, but I have to finish one before I start another, even if I absolutely hate the one I'm reading.

Stand-alone. Kind of going along with the previous question, if I start a series, I feel like I have to finish the entire series before I can read another book. Harry Potter will always have my heart though.

Doesn't matter if they're male or female, but I love when there is a strong female character! Heroes.

Physical books! I like to feel the book in my hand, the smell of brand new books (and old), and the ability to see how far I have left to go!

Definitely character, I already know we get along. What if J.K. Rowling isn't what I expect her to be like? At least Ron will be exactly as I imagined/want him to be!

Movie. Sometimes they stretch the book and makeup much more to make an entire TV series.

Before bed.

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
I mostly read ebooks, so when I read a paper book, I bust out the bookmarks that feel lonely in my bedside table.

I always stop at the end of a page. Even when I'm falling asleep, I force myself to wake up and finish the page.

Music yes, definitely. I particularly like listening to the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit movie soundtracks. I feel like they go well with any kind of book (even non-fiction). It's like I can feel more emotions while reading (yes, weird, I know). I can't read while watching TV though, I'm too much distracted.

Several at once, but from different sources. I currently have one audiobook, one ebook and a paper book, but I don't like to switch between ebooks for example (yes, weird, I know 2).

I have a lot of series to finish and I've been disappointed a lot, especially by series of more than 3 books. Now I avoid adding new series to my TBR, I prefer to read some that are already on there first.

I'm really not picky about characters, I like all of them, except the whiny ones (I hate whiny).

I'm sad to say it, but definitely ebooks. I've missed the smell of books and the touch of paper, but reading on a kindle is so much more comfortable!

At first I thought author, but I might be shy and wouldn't know what to talk about. I feel I would be more at ease with a character.

I would say tv show, but the adaptations are generally not that good... Why can't they just film what's inside the book? Why do they always have to change the story to fit into 40 minutes episodes? That's what I liked about True Blood: the story continued between the episode (even though it has nothing to do with the books).

Not first thing, but on the train an hour after I get up. Although if i'm really hooked with my audiobook I would play it while getting ready. I always read before sleep, even if it's 5 in the morning and I've had too much to drink (my boyfriend always laughs at me when I do that).

message 19: by Holli (new)

Holli | 30 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
I mostly read ebooks, but on physical books I generally use what's about. The pull tab from Netflix DVD mailers works really well.

I usually like to stop at the end of a chapter, but mostly at a period if something comes up.

Usually.

I generally like to read one at a time, but have done both.

I like series as the world and characters get more depth and development.

Depends on the character and storyline. I prefer from the hero's point of view.

Both

My favorite characters tend to get killed off often, or occasionally ruined, so I'd probably spend time with them to keep it from happening.

If handled correctly, a TV show.

Whenever the mood strikes.

message 20: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
What ever is handy at the time.

I stop when I have too.

Yes, reading takes precedence over most things.

Since I joined Goodreads it has been several at once.

I read both, no preference.

The story just has to be interesting the gender of the character does not matter.

I read both, it just depends on the easiest format to get the specific book I want is in.

My favourite character.

A TV series has more time to spend on character details that a movie does not.

Every chance I get, morning, at lunch time, the doctors office, before bed.

message 21: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments Jody wrote: "1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper? In theory, I prefer bookmarks, but I can never seem to find one! Or they are all stuck in books that I started months ago and haven't gotten around to finish..."

An earring, LOL. I love it.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 122 comments @Sophie. Haha I have to read before I sleep no matter how late it is too! Even if it's just for 5 mins before I pass out.

message 23: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Fun! I've enjoyed reading everyone else's replies to this, everyone is so different!!

Reading Habits

Neither. Sometimes a random piece of paper, but most of the time I just remember the page number, or flick through until I recognise where I was up to.

I can stop anywhere, but generally will try and stop where there is a natural scene break or something.

Prefer not to, but often the tv is on in the background because someone else is watching it.

I am currently trying to do one at a time, but naturally I have about 5 on the go

Stand-alone for sure

Generally am drawn to female, but it depends on the characters. I just read Fates and Furies, and much preferred the male character's story to the female character's. 100% prefer heroes. I have a hard time reading anything with an unsympathetic character, and to me most of the time villains are unsympathetic.

Physical books!! Weirdly find I get less eye strain, and I love flicking back and looking at the cover. I also like seeing the cover sitting on the coffee table welcoming me home lol

Favourite character, so long as I got to follow along in their world as well

Depends on the book, but I think a TV series would be so wonderful to see the whole world and the story of the book fleshed out (case in point I prefer the Marvel tv shows to the Marvel movies)

Just before bed if it is a weekday. In bed, in the morning, if it is a weekend.

message 24: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 4 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
I tend to end up with candy wrappers for bookmarks. I have no idea why--I don't plan it that way--but those seem to be the bookmarks that I tend to keep for the duration of a book. I'm not even a candy junkie!

I prefer to stop at the end of a chapter, but I'll stop anywhere if I have to.

Nope. Unless I'm really into a book, I'm too easily distracted. I can have ambient sounds or other wordless music playing though.

Both. Sometimes I just focus on one book at a time, other times I will also have an audiobook going, or read one fiction and one non-fiction book at the same time.

I love books in a series when I'm hooked on the story/world/characters (like Harry Potter!), but I prefer to start standalone books over a new series because it's less of a commitment and less of an investment if I end up not liking it.

Male or female doesn't matter to me, as long as they're written well :) I love me some villains though!

I like to buy physical copies of my favorite books for my bookshelf, but otherwise it is e-books all the way for me! The convenience of being able to take my whole library with me wherever I go at a fraction of the weight and bulk is awesome! Also, I hate holding physical books open. It's just annoying to me. (Maybe I have weak hands?) I find it so much easier and nicer to read from a device. I also love being able to look up unfamiliar words on the fly and easily keep track of my highlights and notes without permanently marking a book. I'm generally a little bit anti-technology, but I am 100% for ebooks!

Favorite character :)

Probably a TV series.

Either, but reading is something I usually do in the evening.

message 25: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 34 comments I love reading everyone's answers! The reading habits are so different :)

I love bookmarks, but somehow can never find any when I need them. So random piece of paper it is, which often happens to be my on-hold receipt from the library.

I usually just stop right in the middle of a sentence, except when the book is really exciting, then it's at the end of a chapter.

Not with the TV on (I’m easily distracted), but I love reading with some mellow music on in the background

Several at once, as I often read depending on my mood. Usually it’s one audiobook, one (or more) non-fiction that I read some chapters in now and then, and one or more novel, if I need to let one rest or if I need to cram for book club or library return date.

Both. More stand-alones though.

All of the above!

Both. Love my kindle, but nothing beats the real thing.

Hmm not sure. Probably a favorite character, if that includes being able to be in their surroundings, as that is something I have often dreamt about :) If not, then favorite author. As I love writing myself, I would love to meet with them and learn about their writing process and how they come up with ideas

Either

Just before bed. I only pop open my book once I’m on the bus to work, though occasionally I read first thing on lazy weekends.

message 26: by Rachita (new)

Rachita | 1 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Bookmark. Always.

No, I have to stop at the end of a chapter. This becomes very tough as I keep on telling myself I ll stop at the next chapter. :p

I can read while listening to music.

One book at a time.

I like both. Although I prefer series.

Female. Heroes.

Both

Character

I am not too much fan of it because they tend to screw up the adaptations and spoil the book's essence. :/

Both.

message 27: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Reading Habits

--random piece of paper (or string, or wrapper, or anything I find that can be inserted between pages)

--I have to stop near the top of the page, especially for e-books since the one on my phone opens there

--yup

--one or two, but usually one

--stand-alone. Unfinished series just kill me (Ahem, R.R. Martin!)

--female villains (The Young Elites!)

--e-books usually, but if I find cheap ones, then physical book

--favorite character

--TV series

--More often now it's just before bed.

message 28: by Anne (new)

Anne Mey 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Either way i have many bookmarks but tend to read many books at the same time on different subjects. So sometimes i use a nice ticket from a visit to a castle i've made and sometimes it's just a note from shopping.

I stop when i arrive with the bus but if i have time before work or when i come home i'll definitely finish the chapter

Reading with music is ok but for some books i don't need anything and i'm so into it i don't even think about turning on the music. The TV is a no though. If i can follow both the book and the tv it means both the book and what i'm watching on tv aren't that good and i'd better stop both

One main fiction book and some documentaries on the side plus some really huge books like Ulysses. I couldn't read this one in one time it's too complex and tiring to read.

Either way but sometimes i do take breaks from series books if the subject is too serious or i need a change of atmosphere

Either way for both, i'm interested in everything as long as it is well written

Both ! I love to read real books on my couch but it's easier to read ebooks when i take the bus or when i don't want to damage a book that was lent to me

Favorite author so i could talk about the world they created and how they imagine it, it's the thing that fascinates me the most

Well it depends on the book. Dune was adapted as a movie that i really loved but i think considering the ton of material it's better on a tv series and there are some

Both ! On my way to work and at night to ease and relax myself before sleeping.

message 29: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 48 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Both

anytime..but chapter endings are convenient.

music yes..tv- no

Many at once. I often read a chapter in one and move on to another. It makes the books I dislike go down easier in small bits but makes the books I enjoy last longer.

5. Books in a series or stand-alone books? Rarely read books is a series, although I am currently reading Uodaike Rabbir series.

6. Male or female main character? Heroes or villains? Doesn't matter.

I prefer physical books but E-books have many advantages - especially when on vacation..but I also listen to books in my car and while out for a walk

have no idea.

9. Would you rather have your favorite book adapted as a movie or as a TV series? I read a lot of classics...so, most of them have already made into movies...and I usually watch them AFTER reading the book.

Both.

message 30: by Kirin (new)

Kirin 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Neither. I memorize the page number or chapter number

I don't stop in the middle of the sentence, if that's what you mean haha. I prefer stopping at the end of the chapter but if it's a long one and I'm tired, I'll stop at the end of a paragraph. If I'm really tired, I'll stop at the end of a sentence that will be easy to locate.

I used to be able to do this but not any more. Music: only if there are no lyrics. TV: during muted commercials. These days I tend to read in silence

A few at a time. Ebooks changed my reading habits. Easier to carry more than one book at a time.

Both but prefer stand alone. Sometime series can get stagnant. At that point, I give it up.

All of the above

Both but mainly ebooks these days

Tough one. Not sure I have a favourite author or character. Changes all the time.

I'd rather it stay a book. If it's my favourite, it's hard to see it in a different format. Although there are books I've quite enjoyed as movies and TV shows, but it's usually because I've read the book afterward, for example Game of Thrones. Honestly, I really think it depends on the book whether I think it would work better as a TV show or movie. Series or trilogies probably work better as TV shows...short answer is it depends.

Both. I'm addicted

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 186 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?Well if I can find one of my million bookmarks I will use them. If not it ends up being what ever is on hand, scrap paper, hair ties once or twice a photo. lol

I like to stop at the end of a chapter, or if I can't at the very least at the bottom of a page.

I like to listen to music on low while I read. If the tv is on I tend to tune it out or stop reading to watch the show.

Oh I always have 2 or 3 books on the go, sometimes more.

I tend to read a lot of series. I will read stand alone books but I seem to gravitate to series books

All if the above. I am not picky about this.

I like them all. If I already own part of the series in book form I will tend to keep buying the physical books. I have run out of room for all my books so I buy more e-books right now.

This is a hard one to answer. I would want to spend the day with both!

TV series for sure if it was part of a series I liked. Those books just work better as a TV show. That way they can do the books justice and spend the right amount of time on each one!

Just before bed. Unless I get up earlier I don't have time to read before work.

message 32: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Bookmarks if I can find one; random piece if I can't.

Anytime

No

Up to three. Usually one fiction book, but if it is a hard read, I might take a break and read an easier one. I also usually have a book going on for longer that I read small parts at a time, typically non-fiction but it could be short stories or poems or a very long classic as well.

Both, although more stand-alone.

All of them, as long as they are well written :) Prefer complex characters.

Both :) I love them in all forms!

Author

Depends on the book. A book with one straightforward story is better for a movie, lots of characters and sode stories are better for a TV series. Books where the main point is language, atmosphere or thoughts, don't translate well to the screen, large or small.

Mornings I have no time to read, except on weekends. On weekdays I read after I get home to rest, and before bed.

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Decoteau (kjdecoteau) | 16 comments 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Sticky Note

Anytime but try to read to the end of a chapter.

I can read if it's on but I don't pay attention to the noise.

Several

Stand alone

Female and heroes

Both but prefer physical

Author

TV

Before bed

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) 1. Bookmark

2. Most of the time, I stop at a certain chapter, unless i'm too tired to continue

3. NO, it has to be absolutely quiet

4. Several at once, a book, an ebook and an audiobook for when i'm in the car.

5. Both

6. Both

7. Both

8. Favorite author Robin Cook

9. I have several favorite books and they are movie or tv shows, one tv show will be coming out next month.

10. Just before bed

message 35: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Wolf 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
Been using the same bookmark since I was 8 years old!

Have to read to the end of the chapter

Can with music not with TV

One at a time

Either

Any, as long as they are well developed

Physical books!

Character

Movie - Secrets of the Tides

Both

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna 1. Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
I prefer bookmarks but it usually ends up being random pieces of paper...or whatever is closest that I can stick in there.

It depends on the book and how long I've been reading it. I usually prefer to stop at the ends of chapters.

Not TV. I can listen to music for most books but ones that require a little more thought I usually like it to be quiet.

Ah if only I could limit myself to one at a time...

BOTH!

Both..I read alot of Jane Austen so most of those are female. I prefer Heroes. Villians get on my nerves.

Physical books. Preferably really old ones.

Author. You can always talk about the character.

TV because then you can watch it for a longer amount of time.

First thing...and Last...and all the time in between.