A Good Thriller discussion

2015 Archive > Your Favourite Books Of 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Dec 16, 2015 06:52AM) (new)

Sean Peters | 9130 comments Mod
Here we could name of number one book for the year, our favourite of the year.

It's a tough decision, for me a little think first, as a quite a few 5 stars books read this year.

Maybe top ten books, or your five star books.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments Oh Geez, Sean. This is very hard. I may have a two way tie. Is that allowed???

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 240 comments Oh Sean! Can't do it - so many!

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments OK, I guess I have mine narrowed down more than Anne does, so I'll throw mine out there. It's a tie between Angela Marsons Lost Girls by Angela Marsons and Sharon Bolton Little Black Lies A Novel by Sharon Bolton

message 5: by Vera (new)

Vera (Estante da Vera) (estantedavera) | 107 comments Does it have to be published this year or just read this year?

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments Just read, I'm sure, Vera.

message 7: by Vera (new)

Vera (Estante da Vera) (estantedavera) | 107 comments Thanks, Christine.

message 8: by Perri (new)

Perri My favorite thriller this year is I Am Pilgrim (Pilgrim, #1) by Terry Hayes . I doubt I'll read one better this month!

message 9: by Perri (new)

Perri Christine wrote: "OK, I guess I have mine narrowed down more than Anne does, so I'll throw mine out there. It's a tie between Angela Marsons Lost Girls by Angela Marsons and [author:Sharon Bolton..."

Little Black Lies comes in a strong second for me

message 10: by Terri Wino (new)

Terri Wino (terriwino) | 2367 comments I'm going to have to go with The Kind Worth Killing simply because even with the number of books I read, I still couldn't predict what was going to happen next in this one. It was definitely my most fun and entertaining read of 2015 (so far). A book about a bunch of crazy people, but I couldn't put it down!

message 11: by Terri Wino (new)

Terri Wino (terriwino) | 2367 comments That's The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson.

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve mitchell | 5 comments So it should have come out this year? Or just any book I read this year for my first time?

I will give one of each, although it may have been written a year or two ago, but was brand new to me:
Ready Player One was the most entertaining book I have read in a bit, came out last year I believe.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter was fantastic and obviously written a while back.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissal88) | 343 comments I loved I Am Pilgrim. I'm looking forward to the next book.

For me, the best book I've read this year is Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta.

message 14: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Mathis | 19 comments I must agree, I loved I Am Pilgrim, I can see that as a movie. And I can't wait to read the next book if there is one.
But the book that I pick is Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb.
Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey would be a close second.

message 15: by Darkslyric (last edited Dec 01, 2015 08:13AM) (new)

Darkslyric | 119 comments This year I have read alot of books from authors I never read before. I have 2 that stand out as the best for me this year. They were a little odd but very enjoyable and I am very glad I read them.

1. Rushed Rushed by Brian Harmon by Brian Harmon

2. Twisted Twisted by Andrew E. Kaufman by Andrew E. Kaufman

message 16: by Perri (new)

Perri I forgot Hostage by Robert Crais my first five star read of the year

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri | 0 comments I really loved "Elizabeth is Missing".

message 18: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Any book read this year...

I have a few but one is for sure...

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

Another would be

Unholy Alliances by Kevin Land Patrick

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments Revival by Stephen King We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1) by Bruce Holsinger The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman, #2) by Graeme Simsion Dating the Devil by Lia Romeo The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) by Lene Kaaberbøl The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1) by George Alec Effinger A Fire in the Sun (Marîd Audran #2) by George Alec Effinger The Three-Body Problem (Three-Body, #1) by Liu Cixin Euphoria by Lily King The Bishop’s Wife by Mette Ivie Harrison Moonfall by Jack McDevitt When Christ and His Saints Slept (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1) by Sharon Kay Penman The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith The Exile Kiss (The Budayeen Cycle, 3) by George Alec Effinger Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer (Paws and Claws Mystery #2) by Krista Davis The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) by Ken Follett The Montauk Monster by Hunter Shea Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1) by Jeff VanderMeer Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper The Age of Wonder How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science by Richard Holmes The Suspicion at Sanditon (Or, The Disappearance of Lady Denham) (Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #7) by Carrie Bebris What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

Wow! That's a lot huh? If pushed would say these are the ones that stuck with me the most:

1. Revival - Stephen King
2. A Burnable Book - Bruce Holsinger
3. The Bishop's Wife - Mette Ivie Harrison
4. The Ghost and Mrs Mewer - Krista Davis
5. The Marid Audran Trilogy - George Alec Effinger

message 20: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 38 comments I'd have to pick Deadly Messengers by Susan May a great thriller

message 21: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 61 comments Novel = Sharon Bolton's Little Black Lies Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton

Novella = Denise Mina's Every Seven Years by Denise Mina Every Seven Years

message 22: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Veronica, Susan will be pleased, and also her book is our Readalong book in January 2016...

A few have picked Little Black Lies, for me a four star book, but I can understand the high scores, as a unique book.

I guess maybe your five stars books, or top ten, as I realise hard to name one only.

message 23: by Sean, Moderator (new)

BOTM next month and our Q & A author for Janurya 25th, I am sure many will love !!

I Let You Go !

message 24: by Perri (new)

Perri Sean wrote: "Veronica, Susan will be pleased, and also her book is our Readalong book in January 2016...

A few have picked Little Black Lies, for me a four star book, but I can understand the high scores, as a..."

Too many whales! It's funny, but I know exactly what you mean by that! :)

message 25: by Ray (new)

Ray Palen (rpalen) | 85 comments Nothing came close to Matthew Reilly's GREAT ZOO OF CHINA. Hope someone develops a film!

message 26: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3210 comments As of today, I've given 5 stars to 50 books this year, but there are some standouts that deserve more than 5. In the order I read them:

I Am Pilgrim
A Spy Came Home
Silent Scream
The Martian
Little Black Lies
Twisted
Trust No One
Pretty Girls

Missing from that list are any of Belinda Bauer's books. I read all six of her books this year and rated each of them 5 stars. They all are excellent. That body of work is my favorite for this year.

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments Wow, superb list, Brenda.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissal88) | 343 comments Thanks for the list Brenda. I have Pretty Girls sitting on my nightstand. I think I should move it up the stack!

message 29: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3210 comments Christine wrote: "Wow, superb list, Brenda."

Thanks, Chris! Are you going to put up a list? I'd be interested in seeing it!

message 30: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3210 comments Melissa wrote: "Thanks for the list Brenda. I have Pretty Girls sitting on my nightstand. I think I should move it up the stack!"

I hope you love it as much as I did, Melissa.

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments For sure, Brenda. It will be very difficult!

message 32: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5670 comments Mod
Nope

Maybe

Hhmmmm

message 33: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Okay a few of my favourites...

Mark Dawson's Beatrice Rose books

In Cold Blood (Beatrix Rose #1) by Mark Dawson

Blood and Roses by Mark Dawson

Blood Moon Rising (Beatrix Rose, #2) by Mark Dawson

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

The Killing Kind by Chris Holm

Black List (Ryan Drake 4) by Will Jordan

The Killing Season by Mason Cross

Silent Scream (D.I. Kim Stone, #1) by Angela Marsons

Better Off Dead (Victor the Assassin, #4) by Tom Wood

The Final Minute (Tina Boyd #7) by Simon Kernick

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments What are the questions to your answers, Janet?

message 35: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Many more 4 star books as well from

Linda Castillo, Karin Slaughter, Sharon Bolton, Brian Freeman.

message 36: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5670 comments Mod
If I'm going to do a list.

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) I think mine would have to be The Gingerbread Man by Maggie Shayne followed by That Night by Chevy Stevens

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments Janet wrote: "If I'm going to do a list."

Of course you are gonna do a list! It will be fun!

message 39: by Christine (last edited Dec 18, 2015 12:42PM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments Kelby wrote: "I think mine would have to be The Gingerbread Man by Maggie Shayne followed by That Night by Chevy Stevens"

I haven't read either of those, Kelby. This is a great place to pick up some reading ideas.

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) Christine, yes it is!! I absolutely loved The Gingerbread Man!!

message 41: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3210 comments Sean wrote: "Okay a few of my favourites..."

Sean, I purchased I Let You Go, but haven't read it yet. Looking forward to it, though.

message 42: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3210 comments Kelby wrote: "I think mine would have to be The Gingerbread Man by Maggie Shayne followed by That Night by Chevy Stevens"

Both of those are already on my TBR, Kelby!

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) Brenda you will love them! Everything by Chevy Stevens I have enjoyed.

message 44: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3210 comments Kelby wrote: "Brenda you will love them! Everything by Chevy Stevens I have enjoyed."

The only book of hers that I've read is Those Girls, and I wasn't happy with it. Think I should try another of hers? Do you recommend That Night in particular?

message 45: by Ray (new)

Ray Palen (rpalen) | 85 comments Ray wrote: "Nothing came close to Matthew Reilly's GREAT ZOO OF CHINA. Hope someone develops a film!"

My Top 10 of 2015:

1. The Great Zoo Of China - Matthew Reilly
2. The Fifth Heart - Dan Simmons
3. The Fifth Gospel - Ian Caldwell
4. The Drowning - Camilla Lackberg
5. A God In Ruins - Kate Atkinson
6. The Patriot Threat - Steve Berry
7. Finding Jake - Bryan Reardon
8. Strong Light Of Day - Jon Land
9. The Silence - Tim Lebbon
10. Murder On the Champs de Mars - Cara Black
TIE Station Eleven - Emily St John Mandel

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris | 267 comments I have read a lot of good books this year but I have to say that "Creepers" by David Morrell is on the top of the list.

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) Brenda, I haven't read Those Girls. I really enjoyed That Night. Still Missing is on my list as well.

message 48: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Dec 19, 2015 07:51AM) (new)

Brenda,

I let You Go

is my number one book of the year.

Also will be our BOTM for January as Clare is with us on 25th January for a Q & A.

In so much demand with the success of the book.

Also our Readalong book for January will be free on Kindle the last week of December, Deadly Messages by Susan May.

message 49: by Guy (new)

Guy Portman (guyportman) | 159 comments Ray wrote: "Ray wrote: "Nothing came close to Matthew Reilly's GREAT ZOO OF CHINA. Hope someone develops a film!"

My Top 10 of 2015:

1. The Great Zoo Of China - Matthew Reilly
2. The Fifth Heart - Dan Simmon..."

I've just added The Great Zoo of China to my to-read list Ray. The concept certainly seems a good fit for the silver screen. Though the Chinese might veto the idea.

message 50: by Guy (new)

Guy Portman (guyportman) | 159 comments I particularly enjoyed The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West.

« previous 1