Start by marking “Moonfall” as Want to Read:

Moonfall

It's the 21st century, and all is right with the world. Or so it seems.

Vice President Charlie Haskell, who will travel anywhere for a photo op, is about to cut the ribbon for the just-completed American Moonbase. The first Mars voyage is about to leave high orbit, with a woman at the helm. Below, the world is marveling at a rare solar eclipse.

But all that is right is about
Published September 1st 2000 by Eos (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Moonfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonfall

Marley
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. It was recommended to me by a friend who met the author, so I feel almost disloyal not liking this book. The book isn't bad. It's just not good.

I looked up the dates, because I couldn't shake the feeling that I was reading something that was supposed to be a movie (and a movie I'd seen several times). Shoemaker-Levy smacked into Jupiter in 1994. Everyone got excited about the "What if?" factor. The question constantly being asked by the news reporters was "What
Kirsten "Ghost Deserved Better"
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
Imagine if Quinn Martin were still alive and making disaster films today... that's what you'd get if someone were to make a movie of this book.

I used to just love disaster films. Such a guilty pleasure. This book feeds that love. A comet hits the moon, the moon breaks apart and Earth is bombarded. The Vice President is on the moon at the time. Crazy RWNJs take advantage of the disaster to try and make things even worse! I love it!
Violet
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Ah, hard science fiction, how I've missed you! Your paper-cutout characters, your massive scope, your meticulously researched and detailed science! It's been far too long since I've read a good hard SF book, and Moonfall fits the bill.
If you enjoy hard SF, then you'll probably like this book. It moves a bit sluggishly at first, but once things start getting put into motion, the pace picks up dramatically until the very end. I was thoroughly entertained!
Jack Burnett
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
McDevitt is a niche author. He writes what is sometimes erroneously called "hard sci-fi"; what it is really is the imagination of certain plausible events and asking "what would happen next"? Moonfall is my favorite of his books and among my favorites of all books. A comet or some such is going to hit and destroy the moon, and there are people on it. That's it, that's how you start, and if you're as good as Jack McDevitt, you make an outstanding book out of it.
Willis
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I grew up in the 1950s and 60s and was a big fan of science fiction and particularly "space operas". I loved movies like "The Forbidden Planet" that tried to speculated what it would be like to be in a spaceship in Outer Space and to visit other planets, loved TV shows like "Star Trek" and "Lost in Space". I loved books by Isaac Asimov (the Foundation trilogy) and Frank Herbert (the Dune series). Then science fiction became almost all "fantasy" - magic, make-believe worlds without any scientific ...more
Nathan
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book that exceeded my expectations. Jack McDevitt has always been a talented author that does real well with academic or mystery science fiction but I've never been a fan of the "Earth Disaster" aspects of his books. He and I aren't necessarily on the same page with things like global warming and global government. But, I can enjoy his work without agreeing with him because his beliefs are background to the story, not the point.

I digress...

This book was a page-turner, a sto
Nathaniel Turner
Nov 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was, in a word, chaotic. And in a second word, preachy. It's actually very difficult to determine which of those two descriptors was more upsetting, as I went through the book. Around three-quarters of the way through, I had had more than enough, and I only finished reading to give the book a fair shake.

In all honesty, I rather wish I hadn't.

Let's start with how it was chaotic. This issue should be relevant to any reader, regardless of your philosophical bent.

The chaos begins with simp
Dave
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The story is excellent, but several details spoiled the entire book for me. I didn't mind the tremendous number of around fifty character, but for even the smallest "bit" players, McDevitt provided in the text, a minimum of a paragraph, and usually three or four along with a page or two of backstory. Some got killed within the next few pages. After several of these, I skimmed every backstory. In addition, although I could see where McDevitt tried to make all the names different, after the first ...more
Pat
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I just finished Moonfall and it was a terrific science fiction thriller about a pre-apocalyptic event in which a comet is hurdling through space and is expected to hit the Moon. In this future, the US has established a Moonbase which will be destroyed by the comet so the research facility needs to be evacuated. However, the question becomes what happens when the Moon is hit? How bad will the damage be? And what impact will this have for Earth? This book has a complex group of characters which I ...more
Brendan
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
I went into this book with high expectations - I really liked McDevitt's Academy novels, but something about this just didn't click for me. Over 100 pages in, I hadn't found a character I could like, and the plot was completely unsurprising - I felt like I knew where the book was going, and didn't see much point in continuing. Moonfall doesn't have the elements of the Academy novels that grabbed me, and it felt like a rehash of Deepsix, minus those elements. I'll still give McDevitt's Alex Bened ...more
Kathi
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
7/10 stars.
It's a page-turner and the cast of characters is huge (sometimes unnecessarily so), but before long the main characters take over most of the action. I just kept picturing the story unfolding on the big screen with lots of special effects.
Dan Evans
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great book which departs from the authors normal extinct alien species and focuses on a disaster here on earth (and the moon). His otehr books are great but this one tops it for me.
Terry
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Not an easy book to review at first glance. Taken at face value this is a firm two-star affair in terms of narrative. However the main plot pushes this in to a fairly enjoyable page-turner three-star. That said if you go in to this expecting anything more than the main plot;

Comet smashes in to moon and causes problems on Earth;

you'll be very disappointed. The problem is the author. The book mostly reads like a collection of unexpanded authors notes. As such there is a very annoying show and tell
Thomas
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Asteroid collision stories usually have one of two focuses: how do we keep it from happening or what do we do after it hits. Moonfall takes a third approach—what can we do to limit the impact. It also deals not with a direct hit on the earth but the effects of a large, very high-speed hit on the moon. The book is in the tradition of Clarke, Pournelle, Niven, and Bova. Like many near future space stories, it is a bit optimistic about how far along space exploration will be in 50 years. But given ...more
Lynnelle D. Bolton
Jack McDevitt, in my opinion is the best all around writer I've read in several years.

First, I recommend McDevitt to anyone who wants to read exceptional writing. He has been writing sci-fi for at least twenty years. But he could write in any genre and put out the best I've read. I'm so sorry he's gone.
James Mourgos
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Moonfall

At first glance, Jack starts in by showing an eclipse, then we get a preview of an unknown comet from another galaxy, invisible except for the elclipse leads to its discovery. What follows is at first a bit of a slow tale with over explanation of vignettes and way too much minor detail, but ends up as a page turner that will grip you to the end.

This story is how people react to stress and unsolvable life threatening situations. A large rock is falling onto the planet from a broken Moon.
Leila P
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very exciting story of global catastrophy, I almost held my breath while reading this. Also, it shows that this novel was first published in 1998, which was pre-9/11 era, so it felt a bit naive at times (in the end of the book people celebrate, wars cease overnight etc). I'm afraid that if this happened in real life, there would be nukes.
Chuck Smith
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An exciting, enjoyable read. Very engrossing - especially the realistic reactions and actions of people taking place sensing the world as we know it might come to an end in 5 days time. The science of what could happen seemed very real as well as the portrayal of our space travel capabilities at the time. Highly recommended.
Jerry
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Same plot different author, similar to Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Introduces a large cast of characters, some you get glimpse of their life. It would be interesting to take a minor character and write the same book from their prospective.

Overall good book. It would be nice for the world population to come together before a near catastrophic event .
Patricia L. Daniel
Excellent. Fast paced technically accurate enough, subplots added seamlessly. A very good read.

One of the most satisfying semi sci-fi books I've read recently. This book is good enough forms follow the author.
Wm
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, again.

I liked this book.... funny thing is that as I was reading it, I kept feeling like I knew this story. Sure enough, I gad read this a LONG time ago. I’d say it was as good now as it was then.
Tam Vickers
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unbelievably GRIPPING read.

I couldn't put this book down. I recognized too many human failures. It was nice to also see small moments of heroism. I could see this sort of thing really happening. I hope it doesn't take a global catastrophe to bring humanity together.
Jeff Thomas
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a little too many consecutively coincidental dramatic issues, but still a fun read.
Carrie
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. I feel like it could’ve been broken up into 2 books though.
Laura D
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Takes way too long to get to the action.
Red Heaven
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Welp, don't say I didn't give this one a chance, I gave it 350 pages before throwing in the towel. The book is insanely overlong and the prelude to the impact is way too slow, boring and over-detailed. You will read every minute of every shuttle escape, and just my lack of attention but I couldn't keep all the shuttle and base names straight. So a lot of this exposition that is painstakingly unfolding in front of me was lost on me.

Then the impact is handled in a few sentences and we're into the
Engelska
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story of a rogue comet striking our moon or Earth itself is not new. So I expected an original twist in the course of events. Unfortunately, this twist never came. After some 250 pages or so the book became really boring. A word to editors: send a manuscript with more than 500 pages back to its author and ask him/her to omit at least 200 pages.
Jordan Anderson
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Let me first preface this review by saying that “Moonfall” is more along the lines of a 4.5 star rated novel. Being that Amazon, and most other sites leave us only with the option of single numbers, and that in math everyone is taught to round up to the nearest 10, I digress and bump the stars up to 5. Now, that being said...

...”Moonfall” (not to be confused with the similar disaster epic “Moonseed” by Stephen Baxter) is a very well written disaster-piece. Sure comets bringing about destruction
Benjamin Hare
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A strong, but slow, science fiction buildup to a very exciting climax. McDevitt has filled the book with too many characters, making it difficult to keep all the names and backgrounds straight. Because the plot is so good—a huge meteor is going to destroy the Earth’s moon—the multiple, jumping stories are little more than a distraction. McDevitt’s prose are solid but never rise to anything like the despair, triumph, and deep emotional impact such a good plot deserves. The book feels like a well ...more
Clark Hallman
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Jack McDevitt’s Moonfall, first published in 1998, takes place in the mid-2020s, when Earthlings have an active space program and have just finished construction of a large Moonbase that is being officially opened with the participation of dignitaries from many countries. Charles L. Haskell, the Vice President of the U.S. is representing President Henry Kolladner at the ceremony on the Moon. In addition to Moonbase, an interplanetary ship is scheduled to depart for Mars with a multinational crew ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mars Crossing
  • Against Infinity (Jupiter Project, #2)
  • Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3)
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • Celestis
  • Mission Child
  • Juniper Time
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Deserted Cities of the Heart
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
  • The Byworlder
  • Mother of Storms
  • Redshift Rendezvous
  • Fourth Mansions
Jack McDevitt is a former English teacher, naval officer, Philadelphia taxi driver, customs officer and motivational trainer. His work has been on the final ballot for the Nebula Awards for 12 of the past 13 years. His first novel, The Hercules Text, was published in the celebrated Ace Specials series and won the Philip K. Dick Special Award. In 1991, McDevitt won the first $10,000 UPC Internation ...more