Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > It's Not Jane Austen But It's Really Good

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
While we love our Jane Austen, most of us read a variety of books, topics, genres, etc and we like to share about them with our fifty best reading buddies. Here is a place where you can recommend non-Austenesque books or start a discussion about non-Austenesque books. I do ask you to please remember to be courteous b/c everyone has their own tastes and please limit discussion/recommendation of Non-Austenesque books to here. Thanks!

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Another one to check out. :)

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments after reading more of book now I'm not sure. I suggest to try it there's starting to be weird stuff going on

message 4: by Sophia (new)

oh-oh! I'll wait to get your final thoughts on it.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments i like it i keep on having to read it cuz i want to know what happens next alot of times im saying to myself "what did i just read?!"

I suggest reading the reviews for the book and determine it from that.

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Trish wrote: "i like it i keep on having to read it cuz i want to know what happens next alot of times im saying to myself "what did i just read?!"

I suggest reading the reviews for the book and determine it f..."

Okay, will do, Trish!

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments I recommend the Elizabethan series by amanda carmack. takes place during Tudor era and a girl who works for Elizabeth solves mysteries.

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 14 comments Trish wrote: "I recommend the Elizabethan series by amanda carmack. takes place during Tudor era and a girl who works for Elizabeth solves mysteries."

Trish, I've added the first book to my, ever-growing, TBR list! I like Elizabeth and LOVE british mysteries. Sounds like a fun one. Thanks!

message 9: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments I read a non-Jaff book written by a JAFF author today. It is called the Lotus-Born by Marsha Mormon, aka Marsha Altman. She put a post up on Facebook asking for people to review the book. The book is not out yet so the only way to read it at this time is to email her or message her on Facebook saying you want to review it.

Here is my review for Amazon when it comes out.

The Lotus-Born is a story about journeys. The paths one takes to enlightenment, to independence, to adulthood, to friendship, and so many more. Each of the main characters come to together in friendship and support each other due to their inherent kindness and similar abilities as “walkers.” They each are genetically capable of surviving the poison in the atmosphere that restricts the fellow inhabitants of their communities from leaving the confines of their environments. Only the few chosen ones are able to descend their mountain confines to explore and to travel from place to place. The story takes them on many different journeys both personally, spiritually, and intellectually. Their commonality bonds them in a way that no others could.

The Lotus-Born takes you into a sci-fi realm that is surprising yet familiar. Although, an alternate dimension is in play, it is not confusing, mystical, or overwhelming for those of you who are sci-fi phobic. Ms Mormon is a truly gifted storyteller whose prose is never dull, never too graphic, and has a natural, gifted cadence. It is easy to get lost in her imagination and I am hoping this will turn into a series so I can follow the characters through the rest of their days.

message 10: by Sophia (new)

Oh, that does sound good. Thanks for sharing about it and for sharing your thoughts, Talia.

message 11: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Thanks for sharing and writing a review! Marsha is such a talented writer, I'm glad you enjoyed her book.

message 12: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya So, I started reading a book that I thought was JAFF, but its not. It is Shades of Milk and Honey. The blurb was Jane Austen with magic. Turns out not a JAFF, just a Regency era novel with magic in it.

I am about one third of the way through, and it is pretty cute. I won't be counting it for the challenge, but I thought I would share this for the fantasy lovers in the group.

message 13: by Sophia (new)

Huh, I always thought those were Austenesque, too. Oh well, but the cool part was the blend of history fantasy so I'm glad that was still good stuff.

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments there's a series by Catherine llyod. It's takes place in Jane Austen time and a mystery series. death comes to the village is the first book.

message 15: by Sophia (new)

That does sound good, Trish. Thanks!

message 16: by Paige (last edited Mar 30, 2016 08:36PM) (new)

Paige | 32 comments Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye

I absolutely loved this book! It was inspired by Jane Eyre, and takes place during the same time period. The heroine is a fan of Charlotte Bronte's book and has some life parallels which she applies and interprets through her own understanding. The biggest plot twist is that Jane Steele is described on the book jacket as being a "gutsy, heroic serial killer"! I don't know how to describe it so that you can wrap your brain around a heroic serial killer...but she is not a serial killer in a malicious intentional way. Things happen. :-)

I still may try to revise my review because I simply cannot do this book justice. It is quirky yet beautiful and epic and thrilling all at the same time. I could not put it down! It wasn't Austenesque, but maybe Bronteesque?

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Sophia (new)

Oh wow! You got my attention with a Jane Eyre serial killer story. Thanks for sharing about this one, Paige!

message 18: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I adore accidental serial killers! Has anyone read Miss Melville Regrets by Evelyn E. Smith? Sooo delicious. Highly recommended for mystery fans, especially those of a certain age.

message 19: by Sophia (new)

Oh man, Abigail! LOL! That does sound good. i just read the blurb through the link.

message 20: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I must admit that book gave me some very naughty ideas about what I might do if diagnosed with a terminal illness . . .

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Abigail wrote: "I must admit that book gave me some very naughty ideas about what I might do if diagnosed with a terminal illness . . ."

A naughty bucket list, heh! ;)

message 22: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Yes, there are some people in the world who, IMHO, truly need to exit—and if I had nothing to lose, helping them along would be extremely tempting. Especially if I had outcomes as good as those experienced by the heroine of Miss Melville Regrets: prosperity, romance . . .

message 23: by Sophia (new)

It's probably good that I don't get to play that role either. Too tempting, for sure.

message 24: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Abigail wrote: "I adore accidental serial killers! Has anyone read Miss Melville Regrets by Evelyn E. Smith? Sooo delicious. Highly recommended for mystery fans, especially those of a certain age."

Oh my, Abigail, that sounds good! I added it to my wish list! And I really did laugh out loud when I read this part of the description: "Unfortunately, she misses -- and kills the guest of honor instead."

message 25: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Sophia wrote: "Oh wow! You got my attention with a Jane Eyre serial killer story. Thanks for sharing about this one, Paige!"

My pleasure! I simply can't do this book justice, but I truly did love it.

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments prelude to a lord by camille Elliott. I love this book. I'm hooked on it from first page. this had been on my tbr pile and well worth the wait. :-)

message 27: by Sophia (new)

Hey, that's great, Trish! Glad to see you working through your TBR Pile and finding some treasures. I hadn't heard of this one so I'll have to check it out.

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments i am waiting for author to announce book 2 in series. its been 2 years already with no news about it

message 29: by Sophia (new)

Yeah, that's a long wait. I get impatient when it's more than a year.

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments if you like historical novels about titanic I'm currently reading hazel gaynors the girl who came home.

message 31: by Sophia (new)

I haven't read one about the Titanic in a while. Thanks, Patricia. :)

message 32: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Just wanted to pop in to say how much I've enjoyed my latest audiobook. It was North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and narrated by Juliet Stevenson.

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary | 452 comments Glad you enjoyed it. I listen to her narrating Persuasion and I find her voice very easy to listen to. She makes the whole experience quite enjoyable.
I'm presuming you listened to the unabridged version of N&S? I really do adore that book.

message 34: by Sophia (new)

I didn't realize she narrated N&S, too. That sounds like a good idea for a re-read.

message 35: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Mary wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it. I listen to her narrating Persuasion and I find her voice very easy to listen to. She makes the whole experience quite enjoyable.
I'm presuming you listened to the unabridged ..."

Yes, Mary, it was the unabridged version. Over 18 hours of listening pleasure. Juliet Stevenson's narration was excellent, I thought. I listened to her version of Persuasion earlier this year and I have several of her narrations of Jane Austen's other books on my TBL list.

message 36: by Barb (last edited Apr 17, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson Just finished listening to Before I Go to Sleep by SJ WatsonBefore I Go to Sleep I saw the film with Colin Firth, but now my book club is reading the book. I really liked it. Very interesting and it was fun imagining Colin Firth's face as the husband.

message 37: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments A Useful Woman (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries #1) by Darcie Wilde A Useful Woman Just finished this book and very much enjoyed it. It is supposed to publish the beginning of May and I think it would be of interest to many JAFF lovers. It is about a young woman who is attempting to make her way in the ton despite her father running off after ruining the family financially. She discovers a dead body at Almacks and is involved in the resolution of the case. Check it out!

message 38: by Sophia (new)

Yes, I can definitely see that, Barb. :) I have a tough time not seeing CF when I picture Darcy when I re-read P&P or a JAFF.

message 39: by Sophia (new)

Barb wrote: "A Useful Woman (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries #1) by Darcie WildeA Useful Woman Just finished this book and very much enjoyed it. It is supposed to publish the beginning of May and I think it would be of interes..."

Oh yay! I have this one for review. Glad it's good.

message 40: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments I know it's not a book I'm referring to here but I also know I'm not the only Janeite who's a sci-fi geek. Hubby and I just received our Blu-ray of the latest Star Wars film, having missed it at the cinema. It's really, really good, imo. Takes me back to the days when the original films came out in the late 70s and early 80s.

If you haven't seen it, and are a fan of the original trilogy (I'm ignoring the prequel trilogy here), it's well worth seeing.

message 41: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Thanks, Anji! I'm a big fan too of the original series.

message 42: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Baum (elizabaum) | 176 comments I'm actually planning a re-watch of the new one today. :-) Excellent recommendation!

message 43: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Speaking of Star Wars. Star Wars day, May the 4th be with you, is coming up. Perfect day to get your geek on and watch it.

message 44: by Anji (new)

Anji | 283 comments Ahnya wrote: "Speaking of Star Wars. Star Wars day, May the 4th be with you, is coming up. Perfect day to get your geek on and watch it."

Good idea Ahnya. Might have to start watching the original trilogy first and then go straight on and watch the new one again.

message 45: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments I just saw this http://www.amazon.com/So-Jane-Crafts-... on Amazon and thought it might interest some of you. It's not free but might be worth the price for a crafty person.

message 46: by Sophia (new)

Thanks for catching this one, Erika!

We do have some crafty types in the group. ;)

message 47: by Patricia (last edited May 03, 2016 02:40PM) (new)

Patricia | 188 comments I got The Hesitant Heiress (The Everstone Chronicles, #1) by Dawn Crandall though Inter Library Loan. OMG it is wonderful! Can't remember the last time I was hooked! I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of the next book in the series. The fourth book comes out in October. She has quotes throughout the book. Jane Austen appears a couple time. I highly recommend it.

message 48: by Sophia (new)

You've got me convinced, Patricia! :)

Feel better soon.

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 188 comments ILL - Inter library loan i should have been clearer >.<

message 50: by Sophia (new)

Buahaha! Guess I had germs on the mind. I should have realized when you had it in all caps.

« previous 1 3