Start by marking “Chasing Lady Amelia (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Chasing Lady Amelia (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #2)

Chasing Lady Amelia

(Keeping Up with the Cavendishes #2)

In the second novel of Maya Rodale’s enchanting Keeping Up with the Cavendishes series, an American heiress finds her reputation—and heart—in danger when she travels to London and meets a wickedly tempting rake

Terribly Improper
Lady Amelia is fed up with being a proper lady and wishes to explore London, so one night she escapes . . . and finds herself in the company of one
Published June 28th 2016 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Lady Amelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Lady Amelia

Start your review of Chasing Lady Amelia (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #2)
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

This was quite possibly-nay, definitely, absolutely-the worst scrape she'd ever found herself in, and Amelia wasn't a stranger to terrible predicaments.

In which I am pleasantly surprised.

I had to control myself there I wanted to add an exclamation mark so badly! Chasing Lady Amelia, is the second book in the Keeping Up With the Cavendishes series by Maya Rodale. I really should have read Bridget's book first because I feel like it would have made my reading experience even better but with
Alyssa

Publisher: Avon Books
Publication Date: June 28, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Terribly Improper
Lady Amelia is fed up with being a proper lady and wishes to explore London, so one night she escapes…and finds herself in the company of one Alistair
Debbie
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-jaff, i-own-it
What we have here, my friends, is another crazy Regency romance by the very talented Maya Rodale. I read the first book in this series, Lady Bridget's Diary, which introduced me to the shockingly unconventional American Cavendish siblings- 3 sisters and 1 brother- who unexpectedly find themselves part of British nobility and must take their place among the Bon Ton.

I freely admit that I'm hooked. Each book follows one Cavendish in particular during the same period of time, so even though each is
nick
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
2.5/5

I read Lady Bridget's Diary, the first book in this series and a loose P&P retelling, and was very charmed by Maya Rodale's characters and writing. As much as I adored Bridget, I was more intrigued by the wild and rebellious sister, Amelia, so I was thrilled to dive into Chasing Lady Amelia. Unfortunately, this book was off for me and I ended up not liking it as much as I expected to.

As an American who grew up around horses and basically no rules, Amelia is struggling to fit into
Molly
I wholeheartedly enjoyed the fist book in this series and was looking forward to Chasing Lady Amelia as a fun and light continuation. Although the style of Maya Rodale is entertaining and frothy, the plot was riddled with silliness and the characters lacked dept and failed to enchant. I'll get the next one, because I would like to see Clair, Darcy, Josie and Bridget again, but this offering was a little disappointing.
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Review posted on Got Fiction?

Original Review:
I know this author's style is more modern, but I just don't think it always works with her historicals. I had such a hard time with this story. I liked the idea, the plot, the hero, but I really didn't like Amelia. I enjoyed Bridget's book, but Amelia was so childish I just couldn't like her. I look forward to Clare's, hopefully she'll be less childish.

Full review:

This is the second book in the Keeping Up With the Cavendishes series, and while I
Caz
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B- at AAR, so that's 3.5 stars rounded up.

Maya Rodale is one of the authors I turn to when I want brain candy; a well-written, frothy, light-hearted read that doesn’t get too bogged down in angst, has a fair bit of humour and attractive characters. And she certainly delivers all that in Chasing Lady Amelia the second book in her Keeping Up With the Cavendishes series, featuring four American siblings who are thrust into the midst of English society when James Cavendish
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Note to self: This is an American heiress HR, a trope I passionately hate.

Also, MC takes her shoes off at a ball and sticks her feet in a plant pot! --see Caz's review.

Bk 1, heroine is overweight.

Avoid this author--period! Not for me.

laurooou
Jun 15, 2017 added it
Shelves: lost-interest
Oh man. That book was soooo promising... But I just couldn't get attached to the characters. Stopped reading at 1/3 of the book.

The main male lead is just too deceiving. Also, his behaviour is not realistic with that of a gentleman in Regency England. I mean even rakes show some sort of regard to Society rules and how you're supposed to behave with a lady. I don't believe for one second that he could have gotten away with having her spend the night at his place (even though she had fainted) and
Missy
This book manages to be more anachronistic than its predecessor, Lady Bridget's Diary, and is one of the reasons why I did not enjoy this book. I was busy checking off a list of things that could or couldn't have occurred during the regency era to focus on much else.

Word Usage
Telling one's sibling to shut up - did they use that word back then?
Describing a debutante as popular - does the author mean "comparable" (however you spell that word)?
"Well, I'll be damned."

Proper Etiquette
A dowager
Bambi Unbridled
description

I am new to Maya Rodale, having started with Lady Bridget's Diary earlier this year. I liked the premise of this series, with the first book being a light-hearted historical take on modern books/cinema a la Bridget Jones' Diary and Mean Girls. I didn't get the same modern cinema vibe with this story, but it was still good fun. This story is told concurrently with Bridget's, so you could probably read them out of order if you were so inclined.

If you haven't read Bridget's Diary, then you will
S H A R O N
Sometimes I wish a historical and/or regency romance would be just that -- a historical and/or regency romance. I don't understand why authors insist on imposing modern day sensibilities on a historical era.

Suffice to say -- the anachronisms are strong with this one!

description

In fact...anachronisms might just be "a thing" with Maya Rodale. Sure, her books are entertaining and that's a good thing. But if it bothers you to read about modern women in historical eras then this book (and the other two of
Hollis
The first book in Rodale's Keeping Up with the Cavendishes was an unexpected delight, though it shouldn't have been so unexpected based on the subject matter to which the story gave tribute to; subject matter I love dearly.

However CHASING LADY AMELIA, though it held much of the same fun and cheeky delights, didn't wow me as much. I don't know if this is the plot of Chasing Amy or if the author just liked the parallel of the title, because I never did watch that movie, but I did wonder if that's
Leslie
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, humor, purchased, regency
Lady Amelia Cavendish was first introduced in Lady Bridget's Diary (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...). This book details what happened when following a disgrace at Almacks Lady Amelia runs away.
She spends the day exploring London with an attractive young gentleman Mr. Finlay-Jones; disguised as Miss Amy Dish finishing school student. The author does a splendid job of capturing the feeling of freedom and adventure I was almost jealous I couldn't experience this version of London. After
Amanda
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: avon-historical

If you want to escape from the present world and forget your worries then CHASING LADY AMELIA by Maya Rodale is the perfect adventurous book to help you do so. Fast-paced writing, an engaging plot and a well-rounded cast of characters will vie for your attention. Spectacularly vivid and beautifully crafted, this historical romance will take you on a spellbinding ride. So strap on your seatbelts and prepare to be swept away!

Highly Recommended
5 Stars
WTF Are You Reading?
Following one's heart becomes very literal in this romantic romp through the scandal sheets...as well as other *ahem* sheets!
Stay tuned for my review of Chasing Lady Amelia closer to publication.
Thenia
The youngest Cavendish sibling Amelia's story that's happening more or less at the same time as Bridget's story.

Amelia has always been reckless and can't stand the strict rules of the British aristocracy that she's had to abide by. After a huge fight with her family after yet another scandal that she's caused, she decides to do something just for herself, not caring about any rules or consequences and simply enjoying the day.

Her initially unwilling companion, Alistair, rescues what looks like an
Mariana
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amusing.
Tracy Emro
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I would have to agree with other reviewers who found Amelia immature. Thus a 4.5 star rating vs what could have been a 5 star read.

After causing a major scene at Almacks, Amelia has a major meltdown and her family slips her some laudanum to calm her down.

While under the effects of the drug she hears Alistair Finlay-Jones singing a bawdy tune and decides to investigate.

After a self imposed exile of 6 years Alistair has returned to England at the request/demand of his uncle. While
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Lady Amelia is tired of trying to a proper young lady and following all the stuffy English rules imposed upon her. So she escapes. At least for a day and finally gets to experiencing all the attraction of London that seem out of bounds to a proper English lady escorted by the handsome and dashing Alistair Finlay-Jones. Alistair fortunes seem to be looking up when one of the infamous American Cavendish's stumbles into him, especially as his uncle has recently ordered him to marry one of them.
The Lusty Literate
3.5/4 Stars | Hot Steam

Having met and adored Amelia in Maya Rodale’s sublime LADY BRIDGET’S DIARY, I couldn’t wait to discover all of the luscious details of what exactly happened during the brief time that she had run away. And, though not as page-turningly perfect as I found Bridget’s story to be, Amelia’s whirlwind adventure is a fun and frisky tale filled with charm, sunny thrills, and moments of toe-curling passion.

This second novel in the series delivers a pleasing Regency London spin on
Maria
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel has the usual sparkling wit, tongue-in-cheek humor, and capital letters for dramatizing amusing situations that have become Maya Rodale’s signature stamp on historical romance. If you’re a historical romance purist, however, her liberties with language may be off putting. But if you want to laugh out loud, then she’s the writer for you! I personally am impressed and pleased when an author can make me genuinely laugh but not when it’s trying too hard, and Ms. Rodale succeeds with me.

Beau North
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun and adventurous with two great, well written characters, but it didn't hold me quite as well as Lady Bridget's Diary. Enjoyed the parts that were only hinted at in LBD such as Darcy's discovery of Amelia and their subsequent conversation. All in all, pretty good, but not amazing.
Rhiannon Root
“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the consequences of my own actions.” -Amelia, probably at some point

The word I keep coming back to when I try to describe Maya Rodale’s “Chasing Lady Amelia” is frustrating. This is a frustrating book because so many of the elements are my jam, but it ends up not working for me as a reader.

So to recap, “Chasing Lady Amelia” happens more or less during the same time as the events as the first book in the series, “Lady Bridget’s Diary.” And parts of this book are
Cameron
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Originally posted on the blog What the Cat Read

This was a delightful read though there were times where I found myself getting frustrated with the characters and I had a bit of a problem with the timeline of some of the events in the book. I shall admit that I had a bit of a high expectation with this story because I loved the first book in the series immensely, so I am a bit sad that I can’t give this book a full five paws. But this isn’t to say that it is not an enjoyable read or that I wouldn
Azfa Yazrin
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nov2019
3.5/5 stars due to a boring section of the book. I felt like just skipping through that particular part and just moving on to the complication and ending bit. Luckily those 2 sections saved the whole book. I feel like this series may not be a keeper as the Gilded Age series. But I’m still looking forward to Claire’s and James’ stories, which are books 3 & 4 of the series and hope the whole thing ends on a good note.
Nancy Haddock
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The plot is somewhat improbable - that is, that gossip didn't spread far and wide in an instant - but the story was still SO much fun! Humorous and touching with wonderful characters. Amelia is a stitch!
Bethany
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A very cute story! Based a bit on Roman Holiday, which was delightful.

All Lady Amelia wants is some freedom, and she get's it with one perfect day spent with Alistair. Unfortunately, Alistair was ordered by his uncle to woo and marry Amelia. Ah, want a bunch of knots to untangle! An excellent compliment to the first book.

This book did follow book one side by side time-wise, which is not really a style of story I enjoy. Hopefully book three doesn't follow the same pattern!
Kimberly
May 15, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
5/15/17 - $1.99 Kindle Daily Deal
Kini
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I liked this one better than book 1.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 07, 2016 10:16AM

• The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • It Takes a Scandal (Scandalous, #2)
  • The Lady Travelers Guide to Happily Ever After (The Lady Travelers Society, #4)
  • Love in the Time of Scandal (Scandalous, #3)
  • Six Degrees of Scandal (Scandalous, #4)
  • Heiress Gone Wild (Dear Lady Truelove, #4)
  • The Perks of Loving a Scoundrel (Seduction Diaries, #3)
  • The Scandal of It All (The Rogue Files, #2)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)
  • How the Dukes Stole Christmas
  • The Reluctant Reformer
  • A Most Unlikely Duke (Diamonds in the Rough, #1)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
Maya Rodale began reading romance novels in college at her mother’s insistence. She is now the author of numerous smart and sassy romance novels. A champion of the romance genre and its readers, she is also the author of the non-fiction book Dangerous Books For Girls: The Bad Reputation Of Romance Novels, Explained and a co-founder of Lady Jane’s Salon, a national reading series devoted to ...more

Keeping Up with the Cavendishes (4 books)
  • Lady Bridget's Diary (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #1)
  • Lady Claire Is All That (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #3)
  • It's Hard Out Here for a Duke (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #4)
“In which they are alone now and there doesn’t seem to be anyone around. Sometime” 1 likes