Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Thoughts on Group/Book Reads 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4190 comments Mod
I'm still jet lagged and really confused, but as time is a-marching I thought I would like to put this up now. Very unfortunate that it is Thanksgiving in the States & I apologise for putting this up at a time when so many of our members are busy with this important festival.

Here is what I would like to do for group reads in 2016

January The Bridesmaids Poll - for books that have been nominated multiple times but never won. All of them have been unsuccessfully nominated 3 times, except for The Tollgate which has had a whopping 4 nominations. Due to time constraints this is non-negotiable & I have put the poll up - will do the broadcast message for members next.
February & August - GH mystery read. We didn't read a single one in 2015 & I am so keen to read them with this group! I think the only way this will happen is if we open nominations to mystery only. Is anyone strongly opposed to this? & I would like to just have 4 nominations for these books, as there are fewer of them & we have already read two titles.
October The Conqueror. The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer It's the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings & either Mary C or Margaret already asked (& I agreed) that we could read it then. There should be heaps online about it then & I think it would be cool to do it together.

Other thoughts - I know at least one member would like to do Cotillion again as a group read, but it was done in 2014, so I think it is just too soon - even though that is probably my favourite of GH's Regencies. We still have a lot of great/good GH books that haven't had a group read - some like The Black Sheep haven't even had a nomination yet! & everyone is welcome to comment on the old group threads.

& I don't think every GH book is going to get a Group Read - some too hard to get hold of, some too leaden & April Lady is probably too slight a tale. (I like it but I know a number of you don't.)

Book Reads - I didn't get to it in 2015 but because it was my father's favourite book as a lad, I'm intending to reread Simon the Coldheart. I will put up a book thread when I get to it.
I'm also intending to reread Aiken Hodge's biography of GH. If enough people were in favour we could do it as a group read, otherwise I will put up a thread in the Books folder.

So let's have everyones thoughts & opinions! :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments I love the idea of the bridesmaid poll and a commemorative reading in honor of the battle of Hastings too and midterm-only polls.

The other ideas you mentioned are worthwhile too.

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Thanks Andrea - was that an autocorrect & you meant mystery?

& I forgot to give the link to the poll https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments Yes, I meant mystery. This autocorrect on my iPhone is a blamed nuisance!

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Nov 27, 2015 06:04PM) (new)

I've done the broadcast message but it hasn't appeared on my email. If anyone gets it can you let me know? Otherwise I will redo tomorrow!
Edit; The message has turned up for me so we are in business!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments I received the email for the poll.

message 7: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I received the email for the poll."

Cool! & on the broadcast message I put that the poll ends on the 2nd Nov. That should,of course, be the 2nd of Dec & is correct on the poll.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 111 comments I've just had a look and voted on the poll.

How about reading all the bridesmaid books this year in the order that they receive votes in the poll? As they have all been nominated so many times already it is likely that they might be nominated again on several polls during the next year and end up as bridesmaids again. Then perhaps one month with books that have never even had a single nomination (are there any?)

I've not managed all of this years reads because I haven't got copies of all of GH books yet - there are three on my wishlist, two of them I've not read for years (if at all) and one that I need to replace my paperback copy that is falling apart. I don't currently own any of the mysteries.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments Janet, I like your idea of reading the bridesmaids in order of how the poll.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1209 comments thanks for this thread; I am totally up for some mystery for sure months

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1209 comments looks like the Toll Gate is winning, can't wait!

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1091 comments I like the idea of some of her mysteries for a change. Also like the idea of picking up those bridesmaids that don't get picked this time round.

message 13: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 457 comments Some good idea's there Carol.

message 14: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Louise Sparrow wrote: "Some good idea's there Carol."

Thanks! :) I also like Jay-me's idea of a Virgin Month (books that have never had so much as a nomination.)

I think that could be good for March.

Also, maybe we could have a month with no reads again - so people can catch up on their reading.

message 15: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 457 comments Well maybe if there's a month with no official read it would be a good time for anyone interested to revive the Cotillion thread...

message 16: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1251 comments I'm still voting for a mystery.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Campbell | 9 comments I love adding in her mysteries as well. My first Heyer was a mystery. :)

I'm pretty new here and I'm still learning my way around, but I've got my book for December and I'm looking forward to being more active in 2016!

message 18: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Welcome Kim! I'm still trying to complete my mystery collection. They are harder to get hold of in my country than her historicals/ historical romances.

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 6 comments I like the suggestions of reading one of the mysteries in Feb. (Blunt Instrument from poll) and Aug. Also like the idea of reading the other titles in the poll in order of votes for March thru May. October sounds great for The Conqueror. And I will be happy to join in for Simon the Coldheart.
I think I have all the titles except her first. My first was Cousin Kate - most of mine are ancient paperbacks that were purchased when the price of new pbs was below $3.00. I have one or two that are held together with rubber bands and when I reread then I just pick up a page at a time. Yep, physical book in hands is my favorite way to read. I have read a few ebooks, but really like the old fashioned way. Thank goodness for an excellent public library here. But the older titles that I love aren't always available.
Opps, sorry I got long winded!

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy (aggieamy) | 422 comments ☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "January The Bridesmaids Poll"

Great idea! I voted. :) Wish I could vote more times but alas 1030's Chicago voting rules are not in effect here.

Jay-me (Janet) wrote: "I've just had a look and voted on the poll.

How about reading all the bridesmaid books this year in the order that they receive votes in the poll?"

Yes! Let's do this. All the books on the poll list are ones I want to read.

☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "February & August - GH mystery read."

A Blunt Instrument is on the Bridesmaid poll ...

☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "I know at least one member would like to do Cotillion again as a group read, but it was done in 2014, so I think it is just too soon - even though that is probably my favourite of GH's Regencies. "

I would love to do Cotillion again as a group. In fact there's a few that I would like to reread. How long of a waiting period should we have before we allow renominations of previously read books?

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1091 comments Amy wrote: "☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "January The Bridesmaids Poll"

Great idea! I voted. :) Wish I could vote more times but alas 1030's Chicago voting rules are not in effect here.

Jay-me (Janet) wrote: "I've just ..."

I think I would prefer to have the chance to contribute to group discussions of books that have either:- not yet been read, or:- not been read for at least a couple of years. I have noticed in other threads that folk are still discussing Cotillion so it is clearly a popular topic but I do feel other books should get a shot before you start re-visiting it. Mind you, I could revisit TOS, DC and IA in a heartbeat!

message 22: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3374 comments I didn't receive the Bridesmaids Poll so I can't vote, but I would enjoy rereading The Tollgate, so I'm in for January! I'm starting Quiet Gentleman today, and I love the idea of rereading any of Heyer's mysteries, it would be fun to do with the group. I've never read Conqueror or Simon, so I would enjoy reading those as well. Thanks for doing this Carol!

message 23: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Susan wrote: "I didn't receive the Bridesmaids Poll so I can't vote, but I would enjoy rereading The Tollgate, so I'm in for January! I'm starting Quiet Gentleman today, and I love the idea of rereading any of H..."

There is a link in message #3 or you can use the link on the website (not the app) on the upper right (under where it says "Georgette Heyer Fans" and above the search box - the last entry in the third column is "Polls").

message 24: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3374 comments Leslie wrote: "Susan wrote: "I didn't receive the Bridesmaids Poll so I can't vote, but I would enjoy rereading The Tollgate, so I'm in for January! I'm starting Quiet Gentleman today, and I love the idea of rere..."

Thank you Leslie, I'm a bit of a Luddite and appreciate all the guidance I can get...

message 25: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Dec 01, 2015 11:19AM) (new)

Hi Susan I don't know why you didn't receive the broadcast message - unless you have only just joined? Or if having a private profile means you don't get the broadcast messages?

I'll ask the moderator support group later.

Amy, I was thinking 3 years, (between group reads) but that is certainly up for discussion. Some of my favourites like The Black Sheep, The Talisman Ring, Friday's Child & Envious Casca still haven't had a group read & while I would happily read Cotillion every year, I don't feel that way about every GH title.

The Black Moth was read as a group in 2010, but the discussion never got off the ground. Lady Of Quality in 2012. Both of those I added to the mix again this year.

message 26: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 457 comments I didn't get the poll notification this time either Carol, but I knew where to find it so I didn't say before.

message 27: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Louise Sparrow wrote: "I didn't get the poll notification this time either Carol, but I knew where to find it so I didn't say before."

It's so frustrating. It is just one message which should go to all members.

The moderator group suggested everyone check their profile settings,but my understanding was you couldn't opt out of group messages. I'll look at my own profile settings when I get back home, but don't have time to do it now.

They also said broadcast doesn't work well on long messages but it wasn't a long message!

message 28: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 457 comments Hmmm, we'll I've had them before, I've checked my settings and my spam folder... I think they have a glitch!

message 29: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3374 comments Thanks Carol, I was able to vote once I went to "polls" under the Georgette Heyer Fans label above - I have gotten some emails from the group in the past announcing the new book for the month, if that helps. I joined a couple of years ago but wasn't active in the group until the last several months.

message 30: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2580 comments Mod
I like the idea of reading the bridesmaids. There is obvious interest in reading them, because they are continually nominated and do receive votes.

Besides, even if it is not our first choice, there are so many months in the year, and our first choices will eventually be read. And we all love GH books, so it is a win-win situation to read any of them and be able to discuss it with such a great community of readers.

message 31: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

The poll has finished & The Tollgate won!

Thanks Melanie (brave lass!) for offering to read Simon the Coldheart with me!

I'll just put the Aiken Hodge biography as a read in Books.

I've read people's suggestions & I'm wondering if this will work for everyone.

Jan The Tollgate
Feb A Blunt Intrument
Mar Virgin Nomination month
Apr A Civil Contract
May Cousin Kate
June The Black Moth
July
Aug Mystery month
Sept
Oct The Conqueror
Nov
Dec No group read - catch up month!

Everyone ok with this?

& I was wondering if we should go back to choosing books by consensus, given broadcast isn't reliable & the other contact method also not reliable & very time consuming for me.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1091 comments ☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "The poll has finished & The Tollgate won!

Thanks Melanie (brave lass!) for offering to read Simon the Coldheart with me!

I'll just put the Aiken Hodge biography as a read in Books.

I've read peo..."

Looks fine to me Carol - all of it! (You have no idea how hard it was to resist comments about the 'Virgin nomination'! I am quite proud of myself for resisting the temptation!!

message 33: by Susan in NC (last edited Dec 03, 2015 06:04AM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3374 comments Nice balance of never-reads and favorites for me, so looks good for me as well. Definitely go with the consensus vote on books if the other methods are unreliable or a hassle for you, that's no good. Bring on the Virgins! (There, Susan, I clearly don't have your sense of decorum...tacky Americans...;) )

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1091 comments Susan wrote: "Nice balance of never-reads and favorites for me, so looks good for me as well. Definitely go with the consensus vote on books if the other methods are unreliable or a hassle for you, that's no goo..."

Oh no, - not tacky Susan! My comment - now that would definitely have been tacky!

message 35: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3374 comments Hah! Now I'm intrigued...

message 36: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 479 comments Do we have two Susans on this site, or is one carrying on a conversation with herself? :)

message 37: by Susan in Perthshire (last edited Dec 03, 2015 07:13AM) (new)

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1091 comments There are 2 different Susans - as can be seen by the photos.

message 38: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments ☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "I've read people's suggestions & I'm wondering if this will work for everyone.

Jan The Tollgate
Feb A Blunt Instrument..."

I think that this is an excellent list, and I agree that the gaps should be filled by consensus.

message 39: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1288 comments This looks like an excellent plan, Carol. And thank you for putting so much time, effort, and thought into making everything work smoothly in this group! It is invariably a happy experience to participate.

Yes, one Susan has bigger ears than the other . . . :-)

message 40: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3374 comments Abigail wrote: "This looks like an excellent plan, Carol. And thank you for putting so much time, effort, and thought into making everything work smoothly in this group! It is invariably a happy experience to part..."

Although they are both apparently Scots! I'm NC Susan, and that's my fine Scottie mix Bailey in my profile shot (I thought she'd be a good profile pic because she and I both have dark hair, short legs and grey hair coming in a bit...;) )

message 41: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1288 comments Bailey is adorable! (And I’m sure you are too.)

message 42: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3374 comments Thank you from both of us!

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1091 comments Abigail wrote: "This looks like an excellent plan, Carol. And thank you for putting so much time, effort, and thought into making everything work smoothly in this group! It is invariably a happy experience to part..."

Yeah!! But which one?

message 44: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3374 comments Hah!

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy (aggieamy) | 422 comments I am super excited about April! Now watch, after campaigning for Civil Contract for a year I'll hate it.

I'm glad we still have some open months because there were a few books mention up thread that have never gotten nominated and should get a shot. I'm thinking Black Sheep as one since I think Carol mentioned it being one of her favorites.

message 46: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Abigail wrote: "This looks like an excellent plan, Carol. And thank you for putting so much time, effort, and thought into making everything work smoothly in this group! It is invariably a happy experience to participate..."

Thanks for the kind words.

I quite enjoyed doing the polls but trying to find a way of communicating with such a large group (when really there are only around 40 active members) has been frustrating. I always worried that someone would feel they had been deliberately excluded.

So as long as Amy is happy with 3 years (approximately) between reads we are golden! Amy, I will be happy to discuss Cotillion with you any time you read it. :)

& seeing the subject has come up - I would love it if everyone would give some thought to using a personal picture rather than the GR brown face. HJ's is a good example of a non identifying but instantly recognisable one if you don't want to use an image of yourself. Of course now that I have been thinking this GR has a bug that is affecting a small number of people uploading images. But I changed my pic without any problems a few days ago.

message 47: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

& Amy snuck in while I was posting! I am such a slow typist!

message 48: by Elliot (last edited Dec 03, 2015 06:10PM) (new)

Elliot Jackson | 275 comments looks like a good list to me! (Tho' I just re-read The Toll-Gate last month!)

message 49: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2580 comments Mod
Double Susans can never be a bad thing - It is my dear Mama's name!

Thank you for getting everything all set for the next year! I re-read GH all the time, and do not mind re-reading any of them. That is one of the great things about most of her books - they are so re-readable.

message 50: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 479 comments ☆ Carol ☆ wrote: "& seeing the subject has come up - I would love it if everyone would give some thought to using a personal picture rather than the GR brown face."

I'm agreeable, but I don't know how! (You may have noticed that, when I reply the way I'm doing now, everything shows up in the same typeface. I don't know what everyone else is doing to italicize one part but not the other.)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.