Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 245 (245 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jeane (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 2 comments Does anyone know if or when they (Book Riot) are going to have another Read Harder Challenge for 2016?

message 2: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 62 comments They are, and have said the categories will be revealed soon.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 168 comments Last year the announcement came in mid December. I'm not expecting it until then. We could always play the what do you think they'll add this year game while we wait.

message 4: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 62 comments hmmm . . . a book written from a different religious perspective than your own? A book written in second person narrative?

message 5: by Pat (new)

Pat Bryan | 21 comments Paranormal,magicians,carnivals-disappearing cultural features....

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 168 comments Based on podcasts and articles this past year, I'm thinking they will add essays, memoirs, Western or maybe regional, and since it is an election year in the US, possibly something political. They'll probably change the two continents represented in 2015 and maybe the pre-1850 to a different period of time.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie re-read a book that you read over 5 years ago

message 8: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 5 comments Oh good! I came on here to ask if anyone knew if this was happening. This was the first reading challenge I've done and I really enjoyed it - I've found some great new authors and read some amazing books I wouldn't have otherwise- can't wait to do it all again next year. I'd never listened to an audiobook or read a graphic novel and now I love both.

message 9: by Book Riot (new)

Book Riot Community (book_riot) | 405 comments Mod
Oh, it's happening.

Maaayyyyybe you want to keep an eye on Book Riot in December.

No spoilers to when when it may show up, but it will.

Audra (Unabridged Chick) (unabridgedaudra) | 19 comments Book Riot wrote: "Oh, it's happening.

No spoilers to when when it may show up, but it will."

Hooray! I've decided to try this next year -- I need to shake up my reading.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (bibliophrenia) Every time I see this post on my updates screen, I get excited. Wish it was the official launch, but hey, I can wait... in pain... so much anxiety... so cruel....

;)

message 12: by Sher (new)

Sher (missblossom) | 3 comments So excited for 2016 Read Harder! I think we need hoodies!!!!

message 13: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie Jones (ruthie65) | 5 comments I used the 30% off (for completing the 2015 challenge) to order the "Read or Die" shirt from the Book Riot store. Can't wait to get it! I also can't wait for the 2016 challenge big reveal. Hurry!

message 14: by Jeane (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 2 comments Sher wrote: "So excited for 2016 Read Harder! I think we need hoodies!!!!"

Yeah, I can't wait either! I hope the list comes out before December 19th b/c I'm going to try and go to the Read Harder meetup in LA on the 19th!

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (booknester) Melanie wrote: "re-read a book that you read over 5 years ago"

I agree, I think this one would be a great one, interesting to see what people would choose. And how far back, we would go. I have the first book I ever bought myself - Black Beauty - might be a good one to read again, I remember it being pretty tough for a 9 year old girl that loved horses to get through in some places.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee I can't believe it's already time for Read Harder 2016. I til have a few categories left on Read Harder 2015. Graduate school kept me from reading the way I wanted to, but I'm done now! (with graduate school)

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (booknester) Ashley wrote: "Every time I see this post on my updates screen, I get excited. Wish it was the official launch, but hey, I can wait... in pain... so much anxiety... so cruel....

;)"

Hee Hee, thought I would get your excitement up again... but I totally understand, I came in late to the challenge but plan on doing it full force in 2016 but this is going to take some planning!

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (booknester) Book Riot wrote: "Oh, it's happening.

No spoilers to when when it may show up, but it will."

tease.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (booknester) Deera wrote: "I can't believe it's already time for Read Harder 2016. I til have a few categories left on Read Harder 2015. Graduate school kept me from reading the way I wanted to, but I'm done now! (with gradu..."

I always thought it so ironic that the least amount of reading I did seemed to be when I was going to school. Ok maybe the least amount of "reading for fun" was when I was going to school.

message 20: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Straka (deweyscrapper) | 73 comments I'm excited for this! It's a fun way to shake up my reading habits.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Carrie wrote: "I'm excited for this! It's a fun way to shake up my reading habits."

Yeah, I had to leave a virtual book club today because they were reading the same kind of book over and over. I look forward to reading diversely.

message 22: by Rayna (new)

Rayna (qemorio) | 6 comments I had way too much going on to jump into the read harder challenge this year but I am so in for 2016. I can't wait!

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (bibliophrenia) Rebecca wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Every time I see this post on my updates screen, I get excited. Wish it was the official launch, but hey, I can wait... in pain... so much anxiety... so cruel....

;)"

Hee Hee, thou..."

LOL! Thanks ;)

message 24: by Robin P (new)

Robin P Rebecca wrote: "Deera wrote: "I can't believe it's already time for Read Harder 2016. I til have a few categories left on Read Harder 2015. Graduate school kept me from reading the way I wanted to, but I'm done no..."

Yes, the one time in my life I really got turned off from reading was when I was in grad school - studying English and French literature! It was because of the massive amounts to read in a short time and the need to reduce it all to the philosophy du jour (structuralism, Freudianism, etc.) - all I could read for a while after that was lightweight stuff.

message 25: by Kellyanne (new)

Kellyanne | 1 comments I'm excited. This will be my first Read Harder! I've been lurking since I joined a bit late this year. Can't wait for the category reveal!

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (saintdreya) | 1 comments Sher wrote: "So excited for 2016 Read Harder! I think we need hoodies!!!!"

Yes, yes, yes, oh my gosh YES!

message 27: by Allyn (new)

Allyn Nichols (sms-digital) | 2 comments The possible list is enormous, I'm looking forward to what makes the cut. Hopefully we will find out soon.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (goodreadscomelizabeth_roe_in) | 29 comments Robin wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Deera wrote: "I can't believe it's already time for Read Harder 2016. I til have a few categories left on Read Harder 2015. Graduate school kept me from reading the way I wanted to,..."

Me, too! I because a big fan of action-adventure movies when I was a grad student in American Lit.

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Just in case someone out there is taking the challenge suggestions posted here seriously, how about....a book from a genre you think you don't like.

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca77) | 74 comments Melanie wrote: "Just in case someone out there is taking the challenge suggestions posted here seriously, how about....a book from a genre you think you don't like."

I think that's a great challenge idea. I do an academic challenge with friends every year and we had that one in spring 2015. It turned out to be fun and revealed a lot about us.

message 31: by Maureen (new)

Maureen a book with a number in the title

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephsco) | 14 comments I came in late to this, but would love to start fresh with 2016! I love reading challenges.

message 33: by Jolynne (new)

Jolynne I hope the options don't change too drastically!

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee Jolynne wrote: "I hope the options don't change too drastically!"

They have to change a lot. We gotta push ourselves!

message 35: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 168 comments Me too. That's why I like this challenge. I do think there will be new categories but ones that reflect reading diversity.

message 36: by Book Riot (new)

*Whistles*

Soon. You'll know soon.

message 37: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Book Riot wrote: "*Whistles*

Soon. You'll know soon."

Yay! I'm inordinately excited for this!

message 38: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 168 comments Oh good! I've been watching all day.

Audra (Unabridged Chick) (unabridgedaudra) | 19 comments Cannot wait! Planning my reading is an end of year fav, and I'm on pins and needles to work this one in!

message 40: by Ashley (last edited Dec 14, 2015 07:24PM) (new)

Ashley (bibliophrenia) Book Riot wrote: "*Whistles*

Soon. You'll know soon."

I'm pretty sure ^^ this ^^ counts as cruel and unusual punishment ;) The curiosity is killing us! (Hey, at least we know it's going to be worth the wait!)

message 41: by Kazen (new)

message 42: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca77) | 74 comments love it! Great categories this year. Though reading a book aloud to someone else is going to be hard. I might have to babysit a friend's child.

message 43: by Book Riot (new)

It's here! It's here!

Here's your 2016 Read Harder challenge checklist. We'll create corresponding boards for it closer to the start of the new year.

http://bookriot.com/2015/12/15/2016-b...

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee This is beautiful! Thank you Book Riot for opening up our collective eyes to new and amazing books and authors.

message 45: by Jo (new)

Jo (allweatherreader) | 105 comments Yay! This actually looks easier than last year's, for me, but I'm setting my own challenge of buying no* books next year so I'll still have to work for it.

* or just less, I'm not fully delusional.

message 46: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1306 comments Thanks Book Riot!!

message 47: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Caldwell (deborahcaldwell) | 4 comments I'm just getting back into reading the way I used to - super excited to do the read harder challenge next year as a way of working through my backlist of TBR!

message 48: by Tjoel2 (new)

Tjoel2 | 3 comments Looking forward to doing this in 2016!

message 49: by Tjoel2 (new)

Tjoel2 | 3 comments Jo wrote: "Yay! This actually looks easier than last year's, for me, but I'm setting my own challenge of buying no* books next year so I'll still have to work for it.

* or just less, I'm not fully delusional."

That's a great idea! I could totally do this without buying a single book. :)

message 50: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Fischer (stephfii) | 3 comments So excited to try the 2016 challenge

« previous 1 3 4 5