Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2016 - Level 3 (Super Sleuth) > Casey's 2016 Cozy Challenge

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Going for Level 3 - can't wait!!

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 792 comments Mod
Good luck and enjoy!

message 3: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "Going for Level 3 - can't wait!!"

I know, it's always exciting. Good luck! I have one more to finish this year to reach my goal. I'll probably read at least two more by year's end.

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Level 3 - 13-20 books

#1 A Killer Retreat (A Downward Dog Mystery, #2) by Tracy Weber

message 5: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
Casey wrote: "Level 3 - 13-20 books

#1 A Killer Retreat (A Downward Dog Mystery, #2) by Tracy Weber"

How was it? I have it on my TBR

message 6: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 792 comments Mod
I have this one in my TBR, too.

message 7: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. Kate was pretty annoying for most of the book.

message 8: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #2 A Biscuit, a Casket (Pawsitively Organic Mystery #2) by Liz Mugavero

Cute!

message 9: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #3 Marked Fur Murder (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #3) by Dixie Lyle

message 10: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #4. Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4) by Bailey Cates

message 11: by Britney (new)

Casey wrote: "#3 Marked Fur Murder (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #3) by Dixie Lyle"

How is this series?

message 12: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Britney wrote: "Casey wrote: "#3 Marked Fur Murder (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #3) by Dixie Lyle"

How is this series?"

I absolutely love it! It's one of my favorites. It's really different from any of the others I've read - all sorts of "spirits" and mythical creatures. Plus the supporting characters are a lot of fun!

message 13: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #5. Magic and Macaroons (Magical Bakery Mystery, #5) by Bailey Cates

message 14: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #6 Secondhand Spirits (A Witchcraft Mystery, #1) by Juliet Blackwell

This one took me a while to get into...it's very "preachy" in the beginning, and the characters aren't very likeable. Oscar the familiar was easily the most interesting part - reminded me of Dobby from Harry Potter.

message 15: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#6 Secondhand Spirits (A Witchcraft Mystery, #1) by Juliet Blackwell

This one took me a while to get into...it's very "preachy" in the beginning, and the characters aren't very likeable. Oscar the familiar was easily the mo..."

I often find the first book of a series a bit slow to get going.

message 16: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "#6 Secondhand Spirits (A Witchcraft Mystery, #1) by Juliet Blackwell

This one took me a while to get into...it's very "preachy" in the beginning, and the characters aren't very likeable. Oscar the familiar was..."

It wasn't awful, but I'm not immediately reaching for the second. There are so many good ones out there to choose from!

message 17: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "It wasn't awful, but I'm not immediately reaching for the second. There are so many good ones out there to choose from! "

I hear that, Casey! Too many for me to even begin to keep up.

message 18: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #7 Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Ladies, #1) by Miranda James

message 19: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #8 Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber

message 20: by Britney (new)

I like the Lucy Valentine series.

message 21: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Britney wrote: "I like the Lucy Valentine series."

It was super cute! I'm a huge fan of her other series (written as Heather Blake) as well.

message 22: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #9 On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#9 On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle"

I haven't read any of these yet, Casey. Just checked my local library and they have eight of them.

message 24: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "#9 On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle"

I haven't read any of these yet, Casey. Just checked my local library and they have eight of them."

I wasn't sure about it in the beginning, but it got better. Lots of coffee information though, which makes me feel like I've been making coffee all wrong!!

message 25: by Britney (new)

I haven't read this series either, but I heard that it had too much coffee reference and not enough mystery.

message 26: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Britney wrote: "I haven't read this series either, but I heard that it had too much coffee reference and not enough mystery."

I can definitely see that.

message 27: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #10 Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #6) by Heather Blake

Love love love this series!

message 28: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#10 Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #6) by Heather Blake

Love love love this series!"

About how old is Darcy? Sounds good, but she looks so young on the cover. I'm guessing (hoping) she's not still in school though.

message 29: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Dagny wrote: "Casey wrote: "#10 Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #6) by Heather Blake

Love love love this series!"

About how old is Darcy? Sounds good, but she looks so young on the cover. I'm guessing (hoping) she's not s..."

Haha nope, she's 30 or 31. There is a 13-year old character, but she doesn't do much with the mystery, usually.

message 30: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "Haha nope, she's 30 or 31. There is a 13-year old character, but she doesn't do much with the mystery, usually.
"

Oh good. Thanks, Casey. Putting the first one on my list. My library has the first four.

message 31: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments Dagny wrote: Oh good. Thanks, Casey. Putting the first one on my list. My librar..."

I hope you like it! This is easily one of my favorite series - maybe even my number 1.

message 32: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #11 Tailing a Tabby (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #2) by Laurie Cass

Sigh. This series makes me want to be a librarian.

message 33: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#11 Tailing a Tabby (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #2) by Laurie Cass

Sigh. This series makes me want to be a librarian."

How interesting, Casey! I'll have to put it on my list to watch for. Ian Sansom also writes a series about a book mobile, but I haven't read any yet.

message 34: by Casey (last edited Jul 20, 2016 06:38AM) (new)

Casey | 49 comments #12 Take the Monkey and Run (Call of the Wilde #4) by Laura Morrigan
I love the Call of the Wilde mysteries. It's such a neat idea, a main character who can communicate with animals telepathically! I did enjoy this, but the story wasn't quite as strong as the other three have been. I also wish there'd been more of Grace's dog Moss. But Belinda was a fantastic character addition, and I really hope we get to see her again!!

#13 Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2) by Heather Webber
I almost think these shouldn't really be in the mystery category, because the mysteries are so light and don't feel critical to the overall stories if that makes any sense.

message 35: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "I almost think these shouldn't really be in the mystery category, because the mysteries are so light and don't feel critical to the overall stories if that makes any sense."

I know what you mean, Casey. These genre classifications are often a mystery to me - and that's not even thinking about the ones that cross genres.

message 36: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #14 The Icing on the Corpse (Pawsitively Organic Mysteries #3) by Liz Mugavero
I like this series, but I had a really hard time getting into and staying interested in this one. Not sure why.

message 37: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "#14 The Icing on the Corpse (Pawsitively Organic Mysteries #3) by Liz Mugavero
I like this series, but I had a really hard time getting into and staying interested in this one. Not sure why."

That happens to me sometimes too, Casey. A particular book just doesn't click with me.

message 38: by Casey (new)

Casey | 49 comments #15 Murder Most Howl (Paws and Claws Mystery, #3) by Krista Davis

#16 A Deadly Tail (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery #4) by Dixie Lyle

Another great book in both these series!

message 39: by Casey (last edited Aug 09, 2016 06:04AM) (new)

Casey | 49 comments #17 Bloom and Doom (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #1) by Beverly Allen

A new-to-me series that I really enjoyed, though I wish there'd been more of the flower meanings! It was nice to finally have a character feel guilty about taking so much time away from work to sleuth...that's always driven me crazy :)

#18 Spells and Scones (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #6) by Bailey Cates

Another good one from Bailey Cates.

message 40: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Casey wrote: "It was nice to finally have a character feel guilty about taking so much time away from work to sleuth...that's always driven me crazy :) "

LOL!