Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > In a Helpful Mood? Give me some Recs!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan (perfectionseeker) Help Me my fellow PNR readers! I need some excellent paranormal romances to read. I usually conduct my own lengthy searches to find perfection or near to but your help is much preferred.

It could be a whole series, a few picks out of a series, stand alone, whatever. Just pick what you think is best. (Adult PNR preferred but if there is an “Oh-My-Gosh-Can’t-Put-Down-For-Even-A-Second” book that’s out there I’m up for it)

I’m searching for a book with a strong female lead.
- She doesn’t have to be kick-ass but that’s always a plus
- Insta-Love/Lust? Maybe. As long as it doesn’t go overboard its fine

The writing…
-I appreciate your help but Please no books with paragraphs of the characters lengthy thinking process before a response is given (ex. “He went out with Mary a moment ago, didn’t you see?, ~a paragraph/s worth of thought~, “No”). I read part of a book like that once, took 5.5 pages to get through what should have been a quick discussion…*shudders*

-Just enough, or more, world building (I usually don’t have this as a stipulation but after reading Beyond the Veil I felt like I had to put it in there, plus I barely knew what the characters looked like {good story though})

My Best Reads:
The Fever Series – Karen Moning
Immortals After Dark - Kresley Cole
“Blud” Books- Delilah S. Dawson
The Iron Duke- Meljean Brook
Anita Blake Series - Laurell K. Hamilton
Psy-Changeling and Guild Hunter – Nalini Singh
Lords of the Underworld- Gena Showalter
Dragon Actually - G.A. Aiken
All Jeaniene Frost books

It looks a little picky I know but I'm looking for a book I won't easily forget.
Thank you so much!

message 2: by Sandra J (last edited Nov 25, 2015 04:44AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments Have you tried Grace Draven? She writes fantasy romance. Radiance is one of the best books I've read, and it's the beginning of a trilogy, I think. She has other books also. As far as I know, Entreat Me is a stand alone and is a Beauty and the Beast themed book. Master of Crows is one of two books featuring the same main characters.

Radiance (Wraith Kings, #1) by Grace Draven Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1) by Grace Draven Entreat Me by Grace Draven

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina Polli | 7 comments Paladins of Darkness by Alexis Morgan is a great series and one of my favorites - I love most of the ones you do, so I think you might like this one.

Dark Protector (Paladins of Darkness, #1) by Alexis Morgan Dark Defender (Paladins of Darkness, #2) by Alexis Morgan In Darkness Reborn (Paladins of Darkness, #3) by Alexis Morgan Redeemed in Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #4) by Alexis Morgan Redeemed in Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #4) by Alexis Morgan Darkness Unknown (Paladins of Darkness, #5) by Alexis Morgan Defeat the Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #6) by Alexis Morgan Bound by Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #7) by Alexis Morgan The Darkness Beyond (Paladins of Darkness, #8) by Alexis Morgan Darkness on Fire (Paladins of Darkness, #9) by Alexis Morgan Darkness Torn Asunder (Paladins of Darkness, #9.5) by Alexis Morgan

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (perfectionseeker) Sandra J wrote: "Have you tried Grace Draven? She writes fantasy romance. Radiance is one of the best books I've read, and it's the beginning of a trilogy, I think. She has other books also. As far ..."

I've passed by Radiance before. At the time I didn't know if it was for me but I'll definitely give it a try now!

Regina wrote: "Paladins of Darkness by Alexis Morgan is a great series and one of my favorites - I love most of the ones you do, so I think you might like this one.

I remember reading the first book but that was some years ago and I don't remember much of it. I know I liked it so its definitely due for a reread. Thank you for reintroducing this to me!

message 5: by Cindi (last edited Nov 25, 2015 10:57AM) (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) I'm partial to Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking and Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill myself.

message 6: by Sana (new)

Sana Zameer (sanazameer) | 37 comments Lux Series by Jennifer L Armentrout is a great series. Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments Have you tried Stray by Rachel Vincent or Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews?

I read Beyond the Veil as well. I loved the story/plot as well but it did lack in the character development phase. Fun read, but a little let down.

I'm getting ready to start The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters by Sierra Dean. I was told it had a strong female lead...I'll let you know.

Agree with all those posted so far.

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments Here's a GR list of Strong Female Leads...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 9: by Monique (new)

Monique (mfh2161) | 27 comments I've recently purchased four of Grace Draven's books.
(Radiance, Master of Crows, The Brush of Black Wings, and The Light Within).

Haven't read any of them yet.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan (perfectionseeker) Cindi wrote: "I'm partial to Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking and Some Girls Bite myself."
I'll give Dead Witch Walking a try. I feel like have tried reading Some Girls Bite before but it didn't grab me. I will try again. There maybe something I missed.

Sana wrote: "Lux Series by Jennifer L Armentrout is a great series. Obsidian"
I was planning to read this series. I've read one of her books before. It was was surprisingly good. How I wish she did more adult PNR.

♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥ wrote: "Have you tried Stray by Rachel Vincent or Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews?
No I haven't read Stray. I've passed by it a couple times, the synopis didn't make me curious enough read. But, since you recommended it I'll give it a read. I've tried Magic Bites and I don't know what it is but I can't get into it. I don't remember what exactly it was that made me stop reading but I just can't get into it. Thank you for the link!

Monique wrote: "I've recently purchased four of Grace Draven's books.
(Radiance, Master of Crows, The Brush of Black Wings, and The Light Within).
Haven't read any of them yet."

Let me know your thoughts about it after. :)

Shari Kay wrote: "I second Magic Bitesseries and will add Moon Called both excellent UF's with romance"
I've read like half the Mercy series. Great story but not enough romance for me.

message 11: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Romero  (lillyromero) | 15 comments Hi!! Good morning!!

Im looking for a new book. I've just re-read the whole Guild Hunter series.. and although I absolutely love it, I would like something different now...
Im looking for a fun book to read. Maybe a witty strong willed female lead that gets in to mischief or something, something fun to read,, a funny character..

Please help! :(

message 12: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments Have you tried anything by Shelly Laurenston? Her characters crack me up. She has a few series... the first one in the Pack series is Pack Challenge.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Lilian wrote: "Hi!! Good morning!!

Im looking for a new book. I've just re-read the whole Guild Hunter series.. and although I absolutely love it, I would like something different now...
Im looking for a fun b..."

Definitely recommend Charley Davidson Series. Strong, witty heroine and very funny read. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

message 14: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥  | 519 comments I second Nicole! That is a good/different series. Not like anything I've read before.

texxie-PRUFreads.blogspot.com (prufreadsblogspotcom) | 198 comments I'm on my phone and the GR app SUCKS so pardon any typos.

texxie-PRUFreads.blogspot.com (prufreadsblogspotcom) | 198 comments Some of my fave PNR series...

Sons of Wrath - Keri Lake

Of War - Lisa Beth Darling (This is DARK Greek mythology)

The Immortals-Elizabeth Finn

Rulers of Darkness - Amanda J Greene

Vampires in America-D.B.Reynolds

Elder Races - Thea Harrison

Scanguard Vampires-Tina Filson

Acro-Sydney Croft

Demonica-Larissa Ione

message 17: by LISA (last edited Feb 17, 2016 07:25AM) (new)

LISA | 39 comments Bright, Kevin- Mind Reader series
The Mind Readers (Mind Readers, #1) by Lori Brighton - I really like it !

message 18: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Romero  (lillyromero) | 15 comments Nicole wrote: "Lilian wrote: "Hi!! Good morning!!

Im look..."

Thanks!!... :)

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane Jackson (janejackson91) | 3 comments I have just started to read "Once Bitten, Twice Die" by Antony J Stanton. Highly recommended, can't put it down. Otherwise, another would be "Beauty and the Beast" by Viktoria Faust, also pretty good, although written by a non-natice English speaker, but that kinda adds a little Transylvanian authenticity... Enjoy

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela | 3 comments J.K. Beck (Julie Kenner) series The Shadow Keepers When Blood Calls (The Shadow Keepers, #1) by J.K. Beck

House of Comarre series by Kristen Painter Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1) by Kristen Painter

message 21: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (rsb1105) | 8 comments Victoria Danann's Knights of Black Swan Series is amazing! And the first book My Familiar Stranger is FREE!

http://www.amazon.com/Familiar-Strang...

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 111 comments Dark Protectors series by Rebecca Zanetti Fated (Dark Protectors, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti

The Sentinels Series by Alexandra Ivy Born in Blood (The Sentinels, #1) by Alexandra Ivy

message 23: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:07PM) (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments Lots of good suggestions here! Another PNR that I ADORE but seems to be on hiatus is the Doomsday Brethren - first book:

Tempt Me with Darkness (Doomsday Brethren, #1) by Shayla Black

If you like steampunk romance, I also recommend Darkest London and London Steampunk, first books respectively:

Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan

Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1) by Bec McMaster

message 24: by KiBo (new)

KiBo | 30 comments The Darkness Series by KF Breene
Prey (Marko Delacroix series) by Angelini Alaska. .. this series is kinda dark.