Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Sara's Nearly Impossible Old & New Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara, Old School Classics (last edited Nov 21, 2016 05:55AM) (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4583 comments Mod
1899 or earlier:
Daniel Deronda Finished 5/25/16
War and Peace Finished 1/18/16
Bleak House Finished 8/19/16

1900-1999
The Buccaneers Finished 7/14/16
The Winter of Our Discontent Finished 11/4/16
Fahrenheit 451 Finished 6/4/16

Wild Cards
Foucault's Pendulum Finished 11/21/16
A Wrinkle in Time Finished 1/29/16
The Moon and Sixpence Finished 3/25/16
Heart of Darkness Finished 6/7/16
The Forsythe Saga Finished 4/8/16
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle Finished 1/23/16

Alternates
A1 The Shadow of the Wind Finished 1/5/16
A2 Crossing to Safety Finished 2/9/16

message 2: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Brought Daniel Deronda over from last year and the others represent books that have been on my TBR list for a long time. Deronda, War and Peace, Bleak House and the Forsythe Saga are all tomes. I hope I can make it.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 302 comments Great list, Sara! I don't know about the titles you're concerned about, but I see some page turners there that should provide at least some buffer if the others proof to be tough reads. I can say though that so far I found Tolstoi and Dickens extremely readable.
I'm sure you've heard it before, but: Do read The Shadow of the Wind! Don't let it simmer on the bench. It's a lot of fun to read. Happy reading to you!

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Wow! I hope you have a stand to hold all this tonnage of paper. At least you must have strong hands and fingers. Just think of the trees that gave there all so we can enjoy these twenty pound gems of literature. Seriously some nice choices, I have to agree with Sam, don’t wait long to read Shadow, it’s unique.

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "Wow! I hope you have a stand to hold all this tonnage of paper. At least you must have strong hands and fingers. Just think of the trees that gave there all so we can enjoy these twenty pound gems ..."

Now you and Sam have made me not want to wait until 2016 to read Shadow. I've had it on the shelf for a while. Must concentrate on finishing my 2015 list though.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) | 0 comments What a great list!

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Shadow is really, really good but it will be good in 2016 and the feeling of finishing your 2015 list will be good too. I want to read 3 of your tomes but not this year. Their day will come.

message 8: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Janet wrote: "Shadow is really, really good but it will be good in 2016 and the feeling of finishing your 2015 list will be good too. I want to read 3 of your tomes but not this year. Their day will come."

Exactly. So many of these have been waiting a long, long time. Can't read everything in the same year.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah If you listen to audio at all, the Tim Robbins narration of Fahrenheit 451 is absolutely fabulous! It was one of my favorite audios of the year.

Shadow has been in my TBR for awhile too. I have to admit that I also feel like picking it up immediately after all of the praise on here :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I think Edith Wharton died before she completed "The Buccaneers."

message 11: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments You certainly do have some chunky books, but they are great choices. I've never even heard of The Buccaneers. And I agree that Shadow is a great book, but I really enjoyed Crossing to Safety as well. So read it if you have time.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Are you reading all 8000 pages of The Forsythe Saga??? Now I know why you called it your "nearly impossible" challenge!

message 13: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sarah wrote: "If you listen to audio at all, the Tim Robbins narration of Fahrenheit 451 is absolutely fabulous! It was one of my favorite audios of the year.

Shadow has been in my TBR for awhile too. I have to..."

I hope we read Shadow at about the same time and can discuss it. I have never listened to audio. Don't really have the right equipment to do it, but love Tim Robbins voice and know that would be awesome.

message 14: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I think Edith Wharton died before she completed "The Buccaneers.""

I had read that. I saw a terrific PBS version of it years and years ago and thought I would give it a go anyway.

message 15: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Laurie wrote: "You certainly do have some chunky books, but they are great choices. I've never even heard of The Buccaneers. And I agree that Shadow is a great book, but I really enjoyed Crossing to Safety as wel..."

Another good friend has recommended Crossing to Safety. I have it on my priority list for 2016.

message 16: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sarah wrote: "Are you reading all 8000 pages of The Forsythe Saga??? Now I know why you called it your "nearly impossible" challenge!"

Oh no, I am wading in with the first 878 page book. I think that is quite daunting enough for this year. Still feels a bit impossible.

message 17: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Does that edition have some error with the page number? It says it´s the three first books and in other edition (like mine) there is about 800 pages in those 3 combined.

message 18: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Desertorum wrote: "Does that edition have some error with the page number? It says it´s the three first books and in other edition (like mine) there is about 800 pages in those 3 combined."

It probably has some reference materials, biography of Galsworthy, etc. included. I just flipped to the back of the book and picked up the page number. I'm sure it has the same text as your edition would.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I think the pages were 7922, maybe they accidentally repeated the 2?

message 20: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sarah wrote: "I think the pages were 7922, maybe they accidentally repeated the 2?"

Makes sense. I can't imagine reading (let alone writing) an 8000 page book. Since mine is in the 800 page range, that is probably the case. I do hope my edition is the entire saga.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm curious to hear if it's any good.

message 22: by Desertorum (last edited Nov 25, 2015 07:16AM) (new)

Desertorum Sara wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I think the pages were 7922, maybe they accidentally repeated the 2?"

Makes sense. I can't imagine reading (let alone writing) an 8000 page book. Since mine is in the 800 page range,..."

Yes I think it is, everywhere I looked the whole saga is around 800 pages. Maybe there is 1 number too many, maybe it´s suppose to be 792 pages or something :)

And I see that Sarah meant the same thing ;)

message 23: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Its nice to see sanity prevail, it could be the difference in making the Nearly Impossible, possible.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yes, it is. I figure 8000 pages is a challenge in and of itself! No other books necessary. I would never get through it.

message 25: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "Its nice to see sanity prevail, it could be the difference in making the Nearly Impossible, possible."

lol. Think of the sigh of relief I just had.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments A Wrinkle in Time is one of my all time favorite books!

I read Heart of Darkness in high school. It took a while to get into, but I liked it.

message 27: by Teanka (last edited Nov 29, 2015 01:55AM) (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Desertorum wrote: "Sara wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I think the pages were 7922, maybe they accidentally repeated the 2?"

Makes sense. I can't imagine reading (let alone writing) an 8000 page book. Since mine is in the 80..."

It should be the first trilogy The Forsyte Chronicles, 3 books in fact:. The second trilogy is mostly about the 'next generation'.

To clarify matters somewhat, the Chronicles, now called the Forsyte Saga, is a trilogy of novels: The Man Of Property (1906), In Chancery (1920), and To Let (1921). The second trilogy, A Modern Comedy, consists of The White Monkey(1924), The Silver Spoon (1926), and The White Swan (1928). I've read them all separately.

Oh, and there is also a third trilogy, End of the Chapter, more loosely connected, which I haven't read yet: Maid in Waiting (1931), The Flowering Wilderness (1932) and Over the River (1933). So all together 9 books, and there is also a book of Forsyte short stories, which is mostly a prequel to the first trilogy.

Overall, I'd assume that the term 'Forsyte Saga' relates to the first trilogy.
Oh, and the books aren't very long, so I guess they meant 800 and not 8000 pages for the first trilogy, a simple mistake :).

message 28: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sarah wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time is one of my all time favorite books!

I read Heart of Darkness in high school. It took a while to get into, but I liked it."

I have had Wrinkle in Time on my radar for years. It will be nice to read it at last. I have avoided Heart of Darkness for some reason, but this is going to be the year when it also gets ticked off.

As for the Forsythe Saga. I am reading the first three books. I would need to LOVE it to tackle six more. :)

message 29: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments Teanka wrote: "Desertorum wrote: "Sara wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I think the pages were 7922, maybe they accidentally repeated the 2?"

Makes sense. I can't imagine reading (let alone writing) an 8000 page book. Sinc..."

I'm reading the first trilogy this year also. I didn't even know that there are two more trilogies. I have to agree with Sara that I will have to really love this to continue with that many novels.

message 30: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Started off with a very fun read in The Shadow of the Wind 4 stars. So, my first book off the list is an alternate.

message 31: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments First book completed already....not looking quite so impossible now!

message 32: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Pink wrote: "First book completed already....not looking quite so impossible now!"

lol. Started with the easy, fun read, but 1/3 of the way through War and Peace and loving it...so maybe not impossible at all. Thanks, Pink.

message 33: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "Started off with a very fun read in The Shadow of the Wind 4 stars. So, my first book off the list is an alternate."

This is a book that if not for Goodreads I never would have read it. So glad I did it's a great read.

message 34: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Bob wrote: "Sara wrote: "Started off with a very fun read in The Shadow of the Wind 4 stars. So, my first book off the list is an alternate."

This is a book that if not for Goodreads I never would..."

I agree, and I doubt I would ever have found it without Goodreads as well. I can account for several great books that I would have passed by if not for this site.

message 35: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3588 comments Sara wrote: "Pink wrote: "First book completed already....not looking quite so impossible now!"

lol. Started with the easy, fun read, but 1/3 of the way through War and Peace and loving it...so maybe not impos..."

Yay! So happy to hear you are liking War and Peace. I was so surprised that it was really a page turner and not the dull thing I thought it might be, and it became a top favorite of mine. I'll look forward to seeing your thoughts when you're all done.

message 36: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Kathleen wrote: "Sara wrote: "Pink wrote: "First book completed already....not looking quite so impossible now!"

lol. Started with the easy, fun read, but 1/3 of the way through War and Peace and loving it...so ma..."

I was afraid there would be boring and long battle scenes, but those have been very short and palatable so far.

message 37: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 123 comments When you decide to read The Forsyte Saga i would be interested in reading it with you. Maybe we can do a buddy read if there are several people that want to read this. This has been on my TBR list for years. Started but never finished.

message 38: by Moray (new)

Moray Teale Sara wrote: "lol. Started with the easy, fun read, but 1/3 of the way through War and Peace and loving it...so maybe not impos..." I read W&P last year, it was my third attempt and now I can't understand what made me give up before, because this time I couldn't put it down! It really is one of the greats.

message 39: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I have also Forsythe saga in this challenge so if you have buddy read I´m interested!

message 40: by Julie (new)

Julie | 632 comments I'm also reading the Forsythe Saga this year :-)

message 41: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Cosmic wrote: "When you decide to read The Forsyte Saga i would be interested in reading it with you. Maybe we can do a buddy read if there are several people that want to read this. This has been o..."

I'm in for a buddy read! With Desertorum and Julie...and we might pick up some others when we post the read. I have not ever set one up, but perhaps some of you know how it is done?

message 42: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Sara wrote: "Cosmic wrote: "When you decide to read The Forsyte Saga i would be interested in reading it with you. Maybe we can do a buddy read if there are several people that want to read this. ..."

There is this Book chatter topic and under that Buddy read? -topic. But I´m not sure if that´s just to ask people for a buddy read. And should we make a new topic for this book otherwise the whole Buddy read threat is full of Forsythe saga...Not sure under what we should put that...I can ask Pink in the Buddy read? -topic.

message 43: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Correction; I did read the description about the Book chatter topic and I think we can put the threat in there. When people want to keep this buddy read?

message 44: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
You can post for buddy reads here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 45: by Cosmic (last edited Jan 09, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 123 comments Desertorum wrote: "Correction; I did read the description about the Book chatter topic and I think we can put the threat in there. When people want to keep this buddy read?"

How about March or April? Or any time after that?

message 46: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

April works great for me. I'll post for a buddy read if that is agreeable for everyone here.

message 47: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Kathy wrote: "You can post for buddy reads here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Isn´t that where you can ask people to join buddy read? And then when you want to make up a topic or folder for the conversation of the book (not sure what to call them) you can put it in Book chatter folder. Or am I mistaken?

And April is fine for me too!

message 48: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I set up the folder for the read and posted it in the buddy reads list. Hopefully I have done it correctly. Looking forward to this one!

message 49: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Sara wrote: "I set up the folder for the read and posted it in the buddy reads list. Hopefully I have done it correctly. Looking forward to this one!"

I think it looks just right!

message 50: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 36 comments Great list! I loved The Moon and Sixpence!

« previous 1 3