Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Desertorum´s Chunksters and Doubles Challenge 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Desertorum (last edited Oct 26, 2016 10:43AM) (new)

Desertorum Not sure if this idea of mine is okay in this challenge-> if it is looked to be too bold I will change it ;)
(All the books are from my TBR pile)

Romance Chunksters before 1899

1. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo 1831 (Pages: 614) (22.5.16)
2. Middlemarch by George Eliot 1872 (Pages: 795) (24.1.16)
3. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy 1891 (Pages: 518) (26.10.16)

Historical Sagas 1900-1999

1. The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy 1920 (Pages: 872) (29.3.16)
2. Sinuhe egyptiläinen by Mika Waltari 1945 (Pages: 779)
3. Myrskyluoto by Anni Blomqvist 1974-1976 (Pages: 750)

Doubles

1. Robin Hood
Robin Hood, The Prince of Thieves by Alexandre Dumas 1862 (Pages: 288)
Robin Hood by Henry Gilbert 1912 (Pages: 224)

2. Charles Dickens
A Tale of Two Cities 1859 (Pages: 489)
Great Expectations 1861 (Pages: 505)

3. Shakespeare
Macbeth 1606 (Pages: 249) (18.4.16)
King Lear 1607 (Pages: 384) (30.8.16)

4. Wilkie Collins
The Woman in White 1860 (Pages: 672) (5.6.16)
The Moonstone 1868 (Pages: 528)

5. Agatha Christie/Mary Westmacott
Giant's Bread 1930 (Pages: 528) (7.2.16)
One, Two, Buckle My Shoe 1940 (Pages: 294) (24.7.16)

6. Jane Austen
Mansfield Park 1814 (Pages: 507) (17.8.16)
Northanger Abbey 1817 (Pages: 251)

Substitutes (for children)

1. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie 1902
2. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett 1911 (4.3.16)

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments Wow this is very ambitious. I plan to read a few chunksters, but nothing like this. One of my long ones will be The Forsyte Saga as well. I think this works in this challenge because you are more than covering the criteria. Good luck with your challenge.

message 3: by Desertorum (last edited Nov 24, 2015 05:15AM) (new)

Desertorum Hahhah, I´m not at all sure I can do this but then I will perish while trying ;) I really wanted to have some kind of red line in this.
I´m glad to hear that somebody else is also reading the Forsyte Saga!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah These look really great. I had no idea that Dumas had written a Robin Hood book! I'm especially curious to see what you think of C&P.

message 5: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum C&P?

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ah! I looked at too many this morning. I thought you had Crime & Punishment on here. Sorry :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow that's ambitious! Good luck :)

message 8: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Good luck with your challenge Desertorum! I also decided to read Sinuhe Egyptiläinen in my challenge, as I finally evacuated it (well, them as it's in two parts...) from my parent's dusty and crowded bookshelf to my own crowded bookshelf :D. And Northanger Abbey is also on my list, more Austen will be added to my read shelf.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Wow -- this challenge will keep you busy in 2016! Enjoy.

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Desertorum wrote: "Not sure if this idea of mine is okay in this challenge-> if it is looked to be too bold I will change it ;)

1. The Hunch..."</i>

Its your challenge, three old school, three new school, the rest is yours to have fun with. Enjoy your reading. I am currently reading [book:The Woman in White
, hope to finish it this week, so far its great.

message 11: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Desertorum wrote: "Hahhah, I´m not at all sure I can do this but then I will perish while trying ;) I really wanted to have some kind of red line in this.
I´m glad to hear that somebody else is also reading the Forsy..."

I loved the Forsyte Saga, hope you enjoy it too! Your challenge looks very interesting, especially the chunksters part. I'd also like to read The Egyptian by Mika Waltari since I've heard that it is marvelous and I liked other books by this author. And if the Middlemarch wins the poll for next year, I intend to put in in my challenge too :).

message 12: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Bob wrote: "Desertorum wrote: "Not sure if this idea of mine is okay in this challenge-> if it is looked to be too bold I will change it ;)

..."

Thanks Bob! I still want to play by the rules but I guess I get little carried away! And also wanted some new twist from this year :)
I remember you like Wilkie Collins, I haven´t read any of him but now I give him 2 chances!

Teanka: glad to hear you liked it, it´s a little nerve wracking, since I heard not so praising things about it. But now I feel better!
I actually tried reading Sinuhe, in my teens (it´s some kind of national treasure to us finns so it´s a shame I DNF it then), now I WILL conquer it ;)

message 13: by Miikka (new)

Miikka (nurmis) | 50 comments I remember you commenting on my 2015 classics challenge that my comments on it made you interested in Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Not sure if it had any effect on you choosing it, but looking forward to your comments about it!

message 14: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Miikka wrote: "I remember you commenting on my 2015 classics challenge that my comments on it made you interested in Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Not sure if it had any effect on you choosing it, but l..."

I must say that I had to check your comment about it again (you do have a good memory!) but I´m sure I had the idea about the book in my mind when choosing it. So now it is on my list (and absolutely partly because of you) ;)

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I thoroughly enjoyed The Moonstone and I'm listening to The Woman in White right now. It's also very engrossing. The first I read by him was The Haunted Hotel and I really disliked it so I was pleased that I'm enjoying these. Hopefully you'll like them :)

message 16: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Sarah wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed The Moonstone and I'm listening to The Woman in White right now. It's also very engrossing. The first I read by him was The Haunted Hotel and I really disliked it so I was plea..."

Thanks Sarah! Wilkie Collins is the only writes (from my doubles) that I haven´t read anything and those books are pretty long! So I also hope that I enjoy them, otherwise it´s going to be long time with them...

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed The Moonstone and I'm listening to The Woman in White right now. It's also very engrossing. The first I read by him was The Haunted Hotel and I really disliked it so I was plea..."

I read The Haunted Hotel for this challenge last year and was really disappointed in it considering how much I enjoyed both The Woman in White and The Moonstone. You definitely picked the right two Wilkie Collins to start with Desertorum.

message 18: by Miikka (new)

Miikka (nurmis) | 50 comments Desertorum wrote: "I must say that I had to check your comment about it again (you do have a good memory!) but I´m sure I had the idea about the book in my mind when choosing it. So now it is on my list ..."

The responsibility of my influence is already laying down my shoulders :D. Really hope you enjoy it then. From your picks I have only read A Tale of Two Cities which was really good. I imagine you reading English editions for most of the books?

message 19: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Miikka wrote: "Desertorum wrote: "I must say that I had to check your comment about it again (you do have a good memory!) but I´m sure I had the idea about the book in my mind when choosing it. So now it is on my..."

Yes most of them I read probably in english but Myrskyluoto and Sinuhe in Finnish, of course (and I think I have Forsyte also in Finnish).

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 0 comments "Hunchback" is my favorite novel of all time, I was thinking about nominating for a quarterly read next session.

message 21: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Emily wrote: ""Hunchback" is my favorite novel of all time, I was thinking about nominating for a quarterly read next session."

Do nominate, I´m in! I really look forward to it because I like LesMis so much :)

message 22: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Oh yes, I'd definitely be in for a Hunchback read too :) Same reasoning as Desertorum (plus I also read his early plays, Hernani and Le Roi s' amuse/The Prince's Play, both remade into librettos of Giuseppe Verdi's operas Ernani and Rigoletto, and his very first and very romanticist novel Han d'Islande).

message 23: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Wow Teanka, you have read your "Hugos" :)

message 24: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 124 comments Not yet, Desertorum! The Hunchback and Ninety-Three both look great.

message 25: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 87 comments deep couch reading! doing a happy dance for you. wishing you cozy blankets and warm beverages for your reading time during the winter months.

i'm also a fan of austen & christie.

message 26: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Lindy-Lane wrote: "deep couch reading! doing a happy dance for you. wishing you cozy blankets and warm beverages for your reading time during the winter months.

i'm also a fan of austen & christie."

I sure hope to have enough time to read, since this might take a while ;)

message 27: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum As a first book of the year I started Middlemarch, since it´s also a group read. I´m happy to finally start this new challenge!

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Yeah, I'm starting with Middlemarch myself -- Happy New Year of Reading

message 29: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Nice! I look forward your opinion about it!

message 30: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I finished my first book for this challenge: Middlemarch. It was kind of hard one but also one I did enjoy and I ended up giving it 4 stars.

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Desertorum wrote: "I finished my first book for this challenge: Middlemarch. It was kind of hard one but also one I did enjoy and I ended up giving it 4 stars."

Good for you!

message 32: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Wow, your challenge looks great! Well done on completing your first book, I really enjoyed Middlemarch too. I plan on starting Tess in the next week or two, so I'll be interested to see what you think of it too.

message 33: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Thanks! One down and many interesting to go :) I really look forward to your thoughts as well, I always do!
I´m actually not sure what to start next for this challenge..

message 34: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'd recommend The Woman in White for your next pick. I loved both the Wilkie Collins books on your list, but that one a little more. Both of those Austen books are great too.

message 35: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Than you for the suggestion I might just take on that! Just need to read the Hobbit first :)

message 36: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments No problem, they're all good choices, hope you enjoy!

message 37: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum This is so funny (that I almost did not write it..) but I was like; wow Pink commented on my challenge, cool! :D

message 38: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Haha!

message 39: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum My next book was (because I got it from the library) Mary Westmacott´s Giant´s Bread (Kaksi rakkautta). I found out only last year that Agatha Christie wrote also under pen name Mary Westmacott and I was intrigued to try something from these other books. The Westmacott books are not mystery novels but more like relationship drama (or at least this one was). It was fast read and I did like it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I had no idea the AC wrote other books under a different name.

message 41: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4583 comments Mod
Thank you, Desertorum, for sharing this info about AC. I have already added Westmacott to my TBR as a result.

message 42: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Yes, I think it´s little strange that those Westmacott books are not more known (I read that those got better reviews than her mysteries at the time)...but it´s just like she wanted it to be.

I´m looking forward Sara, for your opinion about them!

message 43: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Nothing really happening in this challenge, I´m going to be in hurry....I did manage to read one of my alternatives The Secret Garden and I did like it. More about it in my bingo challenge.

message 44: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

You actually have a good pace going, and we will both knock out The Forsyte Saga in April.

message 45: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I sure hope so Sara! :) You have already started? How is it?

message 46: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I did start and made it to Chapter IV before I had to stop...so, not much to go on yet. I'm not as scared of not keeping pace now, though, because I fell into the rhythm of the story and the characters right away. I think I will like it. I already want to slap a character, and that is a good sign. :)

message 47: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I finished The Forsyte Saga today! I really liked it and I think Sara that you will too! It just grabbed me and I justed wanted to read and read.
The characters were made very insightfully. I was afraid this might be little dry, but nothing like that at all. I look forward the discussion about this.

message 48: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments What a great idea to read thematically and in pairs like that! If I'd looked at your challenge before I would have tipped you off about a group read of the Moonstone. :-/ As it is I can at least say that Wilkie Collins is great!

message 49: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Thanks Leni! I have read nothing of Wilkie Collins, so I´m looking forward to it but have been also little bit afraid, since I have two pretty long books, and if I don´t like them. But I have heard good things about them.

Next is going to be The Hunchback of Notre-Dame because it´s the long group read. I have already started a little!

message 50: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Finished Macbeth, finally. I must say that it was a task. The old english and the way it was written, didn´t make it very easy or very enjoyable. It was more like school assignment. But I did it, still other Shakespeare to go.

« previous 1