Start by marking “Han d'Islande” as Want to Read:
Han d'Islande

Han d'Islande

Le premier roman de «l'enfant sublime» : Hugo n'a guère plus de vingt ans lorsqu'il l'achève, et Han d'Islande plaide la thèse de l'alliance du roi, de la jeunesse et du peuple face à l'absolutisme du mal qui tient d'abord à ce qu'on meurt de faim aux portes des palais. L'action se passe au XVII.
Published November 1st 1981 by Gallimard Education (first published 1823)

To ask other readers questions about Han d'Islande, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Han d'Islande

Tim
Aug 31, 2009 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Robert Bly once said of a poem by Wallace Stevens that "it was as bad a poem as it is possible for a genius to write." I thought of that when reading this book. After Les Miserables and Notre Dame de Paris, it's hard to imagine that this work flowed from the same pen. There are flashes of the human insight and profound pathos that characterises the other two books, but they are few and far between. On the whole, this one book of Victor Hugo's is deservedly ignored.

I suppose that it does have th
Yves
Nov 16, 2014 Yves rated it it was ok
Shelves: france
J'ai trouvé ce livre pas mal ennuyant. C'est une des premières oeuvres de Victor Hugoet je peux dire que son style n'était pas encore au point. Par moment, il y a des flashs de son génie mais en général c'est pas très bon. J'ai parfois eu beaucoup de difficulté à suivre l'histoire. Dans le positif, je dois dire que j'ai vraiment aimé le personnage de Han D'Islande. J'ai rarement vu un personnage aussi sanguinaire dans des romans de cette époque. Je ne recommande pas ce livre à mois d'être un trè ...more
Kit
Aug 17, 2016 Kit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
A two star read until I started imagining the five star picture Guy Maddin could make out of it. Hans himself is great: "I just drank your son's blood out of my son's skull!" And he wins a 3 way fight with a wolf and a bear. So there's that. Way to go, teenage Hugo!
Neelam Babul
Apr 03, 2016 Neelam Babul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice read by Victor Hugo.

Pleasant and keeps you engrossed from the start to the end.
Bill Wallace
Hugo's first novel shows scant traces of the brilliance to come but it's a ripping tale of adventure and intrigue with a monstrous villain, the author's first monster, though hardly a sympathetic one. Many of the chapters are made up almost entirely of conversations, which makes me wonder if the novel was not originally conceived as a play. The reliance of several plot points on stagey, Shakespearian mistakes about the identity of characters reinforces that notion. There is also a strong note of ...more
Robyn
Aug 27, 2010 Robyn rated it liked it
Scattered, delayed reactions:

My second experience reading Victor Hugo. Considering that my first experience was with an English translation of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"--I stopped at page 99 and the plot still hadn't begun--I was surprised at the lack of description, but also pleased that I enjoyed it.

Once I got through the first few chapters, I found the novel to be a quick enough read. The plot advances almost as directly as an adventure/quest film, and because the narration follows many
Gláucia Renata
Dec 30, 2014 Gláucia Renata rated it it was ok
Primeiro romance do autor, publicado em 1823 e escrito quando ele tinha 18 anos. Talvez isso justifique a mediocridade da obra, principalmente se pareada a seus outros títulos.
A ação se passa em 1699 na Islândia e é uma história de amor entre Ethel e o nobre Gundeldew. A moça está presa junto ao pai por uma acusação injusta de traição ao rei, plano elaborado pelo pai do rapaz com o objetivo de usurpar o posto de Schumaker, o pai da moça.
Antes de ler imaginei que Han fosse algum tipo de nobre, m
Roman Kurys
Sep 16, 2016 Roman Kurys rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read!
I remember reading "Hunchback from Notre Dame" and giving up from boredom after 52nd page of scenery descriptions...
Now given I was 15, so maybe not the best age to read a classic like that but I has spoiled Victor Hugo for me since then.
Now 2 decades later I find I enjoy Hugo immensely. First Bug Yargal and Now Hans of Iceland. Brilliant.
You don't often get to call a classic work "page turner". Well, this was. And I loved it.
Maybe now I'm ready for "Hunchback" Take2?

Definite
Bill
I liked it, but seemed a little repetitive to me. The story jumps between scenes of political intrigue, longing romance, then Hans of Iceland killing people for the love of killing people, amazing coincidence that links more political intrigue, heart-wrenching longing romance, and Hans of Iceland killing, mutilating, and drinking the blood of his victims from his son's skull. Repeat this a few more times and you have the gist of the story.
Steve Gordon
Jun 18, 2013 Steve Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Have you ever devoured the entrails of a living child?" - Hans is a bit of a rough customer...and delightfully so. Pure evil with no playing about. Fairly obvious that this is an early effort by Hugo with its herky jerky beginnings, but the genius still leaps forth. From the hero Ordener's departure in search of Hans, this novel is excellent. The fact that this was published when he was 21....what a titan.
Ray
Jan 31, 2013 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very dark, violent story set in Norway in the year 1699. The plot is complicated and there are many grotesque characters. Including the title character who kills people and drinks their blood. There are many twists and turns of the plot which makes for much suspense. Another character is an unlucky executioner.
Stacy
Aug 12, 2014 Stacy rated it liked it
The only Hugo book which ends happily. I have not expected such a nice final=) Evil is killed, good is rich and happy. Really nice!
The only minus is that Russian translation was made at the end of 19th century and Russian has changed a bit. This novel certainly need new fresh translation
Klára
Oct 20, 2015 Klára rated it liked it
Mám ráda příběhy zasazené do Skandinávie. Bohužel mi dávaly zabrat pasáže plné politiky nebo bojů, ale o to více jsem se těšila na kapitoly s Ordenerem a Ethelou. Možná jsem si nemusela půjčovat vydání z roku 1929. První kniha od Huga.
Karen Sofarin
Jan 30, 2016 Karen Sofarin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book gory and large on the page. It reminded me of Shakespeare and Norse fairy tales I used to read as a child. I had never before heard of this novel of Victor Hugo, but really enjoyed it.
Andrea
Dec 09, 2010 Andrea added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
My kindle version of this book repeated a section, at least I think it did. I am giving up.
Mikey
Aug 01, 2009 Mikey rated it it was amazing
One bad ass MF Hans was, the devil inside, thank God for the Orderner in me...
Emmanuel Wallart
Jan 29, 2017 Emmanuel Wallart rated it it was amazing
Le premier roman du maître, et quel roman! Aventure, romance, tueur en série, traître, lâche...
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Mic
Mic rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Shinta
Shinta rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Perduicitte
Perduicitte rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2015
Liviu
Liviu rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2016
Marion
Marion rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Zero
Zero rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2016
Rui Miguel Mesquita
Rui Miguel Mesquita rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Gabriel Blanchet
Gabriel Blanchet rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Celestin Rengnez
Celestin Rengnez rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ibsen: The Complete Major Prose Plays
  • Selected Poems
  • The Cenci
  • Le Colonel Chabert
  • Zadig/L'Ingénu
  • Tomorrow's Eve
  • Son Excellence Eugène Rougon (Les Rougon-Macquart, #6)
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • What Doctors Don't Tell You: The Truth about the Dangers of Modern Medicine
  • Vis and Ramin
  • When the World Shook: Being an Account of the Great Adventure of Bastin, Bickley, and Arbuthnot
  • Man and Wife
  • Strategic Management and Competitive Advantage: Concepts and Cases
  • L'immeuble des femmes qui ont renoncé aux hommes
  • The Man from Snowy River
  • The Glenn Gould Reader
  • Aucassin et Nicolette
  • Deutsch in 30 Tagen /German in 30 Days: Deutsch in 30 Tagen. German in 30 Days. Buch mit CD
Victor-Marie Hugo was a French poet, playwright, novelist, essayist, visual artist, statesman, human rights campaigner, and perhaps the most influential exponent of the Romantic movement in France.
More about Victor Hugo...